Lyondell Employee Reviews

Working safely was a core value
Facility Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newtown Square, Pa.July 16, 2013
My day as a shift supervisor would start at either 5am or 5pm. You would review the last shift(s) log book and operating units documentation. You are the site contact for employees and contractors with questions or issues: R&D units, building systems, security, deliveries, and utilities. The operations ran 24/7 so unattended units required monitoring and possible adjustments. In the case of a power loss facility operations equipment may need to be reset, along with some operating units. If repairs were needed you would contact the proper authority to make them. You were the “go to guy” and were expected to get it done. Job Safety Analysis and safe work permit authorizations occurred daily. You also authorized Confined Space permits and served on the rescue team. Any emergency at the facility, I would respond and assume Incident Command. I was in charge of the fire brigade and Emergency Management Team and conducted training as required, as well as procedure and policy changes. I attended weekly meetings to determine the most efficient use of our shop resources. I was also included in audits and incident investigations. Attending safety meetings we were educated on the latest safety and injury trends. As problems arose, on site or within the company, you were informed about them and what corrective actions were taken. The incident investigation findings were published for all to see and learn from. The management team was fair and expectations were communicated. I enjoyed my coworkers, many of which I still communicate with. Each employee was willing to help another with an issue  more... with advice or equipment. The hardest part of the job for me was the rare occurrence of poor communication. I pride myself on getting the job done correctly and safely and need to know the requirements and details of the task. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of helping others with resolving an issue that was as safety or operational concern. I enjoyed learning new things everyday and keeping an open mind on how to do things more efficiently and putting that into practice.  less
Pros
great compensation, benefits, and training
Cons
small facility - no room for advancement
It has been a long ride (20 years)...
Senior Technologist (Current Employee) –  Newtown Square, PAJuly 17, 2012
I have been with the company for over 20 years, operating as ARCOChemical Company, then Lyondell Chemical Company, and now LyondellBasell Industries. The site at which I work was once the world headquarters with over 1,000 employees here, but as the company changed names and ownership, the headquarters moved and only Research and Development remained here (less than 200 people). And now, they are constructing a new R&D center in Houston, TX, and closing this one, so I found myself with a choice: relocate my family or find a new job.
The people I work with are among the best-in-class. We all watch eachothers' backs and help out when and where we can. I will miss nearly everyone I've ever worked closely with, and I keep in touch with many that have gone before me. During our Chapter 11 era, we all learned to cope with doing more with less, and I found that to be a learning opportunity for skills outside my typical day-to-day responsibilities.
The compensation targets the 75th percentile of the industry and region. Annual bonus is tied to personal and departmental achievement of goals and safety record. Insurance options are excellent, and premiums and deductibles are reasonable.
I would recommend working for this company, but cautiously keep an ear to the ground for changes that come about quickly.
Pros
nice facilities, modern equipment, benefits, recognition for achievements
Cons
i.t. jobs fall victim to outsourcing, no flexible schedules or work from home
Lyondellbasell Houston is a great refinery to work at, but I enjoy working at chemical sites more.
Direct Hire - Senior Inspector Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2015
1 - During a typical work day I will visit assigned units to speak with ops and read unit log book to see what has developed over the past 24 hours. Perform inspections as needed; assist NDT crew on unit(s) as needed; write and review reports, etc.
2 - During work continuation (due to strike) I was assigned to work in the oil movements department as a pumper. During that time I learned the important of proper pipe alignments in order to move product to the correct location without contamination.
3 - Overall, it appears that management is really trying to make a change to improve to quality of life and culture during work hours within the Houston refinery. Upper management will visit, set down and listen.
4 - In an effort to improve the quality of inspection and reduce unscheduled down time I will visit and exchange views and ideals with several of my co-workers to get their view point.
5 - Lyondellbasell has loads of Engineering Guides and Engineering Standards. Learning them and keeping up with the updates is perhaps my greatest challenge.
6 - I really enjoy performing inspecting, training young inspectors and sharing knowledge with others in the field and by Microsoft Power Point presentation.
Pros
As a salary employee I'am payed if I need to be out of the plant...
Cons
As a salary employee I am not paid for working after scheduled hours.
Depends on which site you are employed at
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 11, 2013
I was an operator at lyondellbasell choate rd. I recieved constant descrimination from day one because I was the only person in my hiring class with operations and emergency response experience. They treated me like garbage because i picked up on everything and learned quicker than everyone else. I was ahead of my whole class and recieved resentment for it. I had a union rep pull me outside the control room my first day on shift and was told that there were people trying to get me fired and i had to watch everything i did for the next 9 months because they wanted me gone. I never once did anything to offend anyone but nothing I ever did was ever good enough. I aced all of my certification tests but in the end it wasn't good enough and they let me go 2 weeks before I joined the union because i left a 1/4 inch bleeder valve open on a line that was already double blocked by two valves. To think that someone that volunteers there time and energy to save peoples homes and lives could recieve such resentment is beyond me. I will never forget the horrible experience I had with this company.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
biased management, no time off, coworkers are tight knit and not accepting of new hires
Good compensation and freedom to do your work
Sr. IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2014
LyondellBasell (LYB) is practically a new organization since coming out of bankruptcy because of the new leadership throughout the organization. The culture is focused on the bottom line and speed of execution. As a IT Project Manager I work with cross-functional groups and interdisciplinary global teams. IT PMO processes and tools have been developed in the last 5 years and is starting to stabilize. LYB is very process driven, high administration overhead on projects, and extremely collaborative throughout the organization which can slow down execution. On the upside, the rigor ensures proper project management and alignment with all stakeholders. That is both the hardest and most enjoyable part of my job as a Sr. IT PM.
Pros
compensation, management
Cons
not enough resources to do all the work
Innovative company that is profit driven
Process Operator, Chemical Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2015
Work schedule involves a 12 hour, rotating shift work; alternating from Days and Nights each week.
Climbing towers, stairs and ringed ladders.
Firefighting, Rescue and Spill training every three months; quarterly.
I've learned many operating skills and troubleshooting techniques over my 20 year career at Lyondellbasell.
We are a Union facility. Management is profit driven and provide the means for workers to be safe.
Coworkers are excellent and safety driven.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the constant changes.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making gasoline safely and enjoying the pay and benefits for my hard work.
Pros
union support for better benefits and fair contracts.
Cons
risk of strike due to negotiations every 3 years.
A good company to work for but the turnover ratio is damaging to Supply Chain.
Logistics Compliance Business Consultant Americas (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2014
Typical day at work includes daily / weekly highlight meetings and goals planning / replanning
I learned how to effective collaborate with many different facets of the busines and business groups to identify hot topics and prioritize my work week.
Management appear professional, but many seem to find it difficult or seem very hesitant to make a decision.
The hardest part of the job is working with such a high turnover rate and dealing wit hthe knowledge loss across the supply chain.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the marine cohesiveness of certain members of the marine department.
Pros
freedom to define roles as needed to be successful
Cons
compensation plan bell curve is not always a good tool
Dynamic chemical company that recently emerged from bankruptcy in to a marketplace that is going through huge expansions.
Senior Manager, Human Reources (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA area / Channelview, TXFebruary 10, 2014
LyondellBasell provided me with a lot of opportunity for growth. I started as an accountant and ended as the Senior Human Resources Manager for their largest production site. I have had extensive experience with unions. This included the lead negotiator for the company on several collective bargaining agreements.
Pros
high growth in the chemical sector.
Cons
with the high growth in chemicals, the marketplace for engineers is extremely tight making recruiting for these positions challenging.
recipe for depression and drinking
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  OHC- HoustonSeptember 29, 2012
worked for the company 12yearst -thought i would retire from there .
Procurement was the end of my promising career-turn over was faster than hot cakes-management was sneaky-deceiving- lied- lied. first question to ask is why is there so many job openings. all the talent lef, discrimination, age, and basic harassment was okay. any reports to HR turned to an empty ear as HR had just as high turnover. Shame that it took 65procurment professionals to leave for the director to get canned.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
micromanage-belittled in front of coworkers-goals constantly changed

Comment – October 2, 2012

spent 6 months there... felt more like a decade and your 100% accurate it was a recipe for drinking (not sure about depression, but definitely drinking)

productive very busy place to work
Lead Security Gate 1 and 16 (Current Employee) –  houston tx , la porte txDecember 11, 2012
a typical day at work was busy always having people coming in for deliveries and pick ups having to put all the information in the computer taking care of all the gate passes and logs for anything and eveyone that came into the gate answering all phones giving all access to drivers contractors employees ect. i learned how to disipline myself how to work and be proud of what i did my management was awesome and the co-workers were just as good we were a family out there not just co-workers everyday was a new adventure
Pros
very close to home and good pay
Serious and challenging work
Control Systems Engineer Co-op 3 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2014
Typically will prepare for a morning meeting with operations. Then I would run down or investigate a small issue that was presented at the meeting. The rest of the day would be working through various elements of projects until they could be signed off as complete. Management was scarce most of the time. Co-workers were very helpful team players. The hardest part of the job is putting together your best solution to a problem and it not being approved. The best part is getting hands on and figuring out what is happening to cause a problem.
Productive workplace with lots of fun.
SAP Basis Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 31, 2012
A typical day at work starts with warm morning wishes to the team checking new emails and calender for any scheduled day to day activities, updates, intranet web for any announcements or notifications and taking care of responsible job duties and attending any team or company meetings.

Every work environment teaches you something new both technically and professionally. I learnt working with different platforms, both OS and Database with multiple new components.
Pros
free football tickets, wide variety of food restaurants
Easiest money I've ever made
Contract Lab Technician through CDI (Former Employee) –  Channelview North LabSeptember 25, 2015
In a 12 hour work day, I'd have about 4 hours of actual work. The lab has no representation and have been doing things a certain way for years. The most enjoyable part of the job was the pay. For the amount of work I actually did, I was paid about $30 per hour. As a contractor, I made less than full time employees yet I always heard them complain about wanting more money. I would love to go back and work for them again for less pay.
Pros
Great Money
Cons
no real management or chain of command
You will be burried under bunch of files and projects.
E&I Engineer (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILNovember 7, 2013
Typical day at work is very busy ( more then 10hours a day)
They don't provide you a good mentoring ( I will see my mentor once every two weeks because he is always busy.
Coworkers are not very helpful. Most time they are busy doing their work. Sometimes you feel like they are ignoring you.
Hardest part of the job is shutdowns ( There is always something wrong in my unit)
Nothing to enjoy at that company. You basically work 10+ hours everyday.
Pros
pay & benefits
Cons
long long hours
Lyondell Houston Refinery
Crude, Chief Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2015
Pay is good, but union versus management is tiresome. USW needs to go and maybe and union just for operators needs to take over. I am indifferent. Management here is behind the times. Work process here is years behinds the time. I miss the Dow work process, but the pay here is better and lots of opportunities to leave operations
Pros
pay, room for advancement, headquartered in houston
Cons
union, crafts run union, cronyism and nepotism are out of control, mowp is 20 years behinds the time
Research Technician IV (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXOctober 12, 2015
Worst management I seen in my 25 years in this field. In the last 1 1/2 years multiple people lost employment due to greed and inexperience team of management in Channelview, Texas.
Professionals have left due to the issues at this location.
Benefits and pay is great but stress is extremely high and workers are over worked and performing as 3 employees due to lack of hiring in order for management greed for larger bonuses. Safety is no top priority.
Pros
Benefits and Pay
Cons
Everything else
17 years I woked at this location. Overall a good place to work.When I started in 1989 it was Cain Chemical, then it changed to Oxy Chem, then to Equi
Ethylene Oxide Derivatives, Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bayport BCO PlantMay 14, 2012
12 hour rotating shift work. I learned all of the operating units and worked my way to Process trainer. The management was typical for a large company. The co workers were a good group of people. The hardest part of the job was campaign change in the EOD unit.
Pros
able to rotate jobs.
Cons
sometimes, not enoughpeople to do the jobs at hand.

Comment – May 23, 2012

Thank you for giving a concise history of the Company and about your experience.

Very demanding,very dangerous,lots of opportunities to excell, good smart people overall
chemical operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2015
I run the process on a day to day basis, I also ensure the product stays on test while maintaining max production whenever possible. Quick and sound decisions have to be made rapidly whenever the environment goes south. Lots of people depend on me to continue to operate the unit safely or shut the unit down if need be to prevent disasters.
Pros
i love the challenge
Cons
its a dangerous enviroment
competitive pay
Sr. Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2015
LyondellBasell offers competitive pay and great health benefits. The company culture has changed as it came out of bankruptcy to now posting record profits, however they continue to operate their IT department like they did under the bankruptcy. Management's solution to budget constraints is under-staffing and outsourcing.
Pros
Salary and Healthcare benefits were top notch
Cons
Currently operating without a CTO or CFO
Short term focus, constant job threat, poor communications
Materials Characterization Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newtown Square, PAJune 21, 2012
Work focused on technical support keeping plants up and running. Cost reduction- read downsizing - is embodied in the company's culture. This intimidating environment is reinforced by stories of screaming at executive meetings, forced ranked reviews, no flexibility in project end dates, and uncommunicative managers. The best part of the job was the other workers.