Lyondell Employee Reviews

Teamwork & Advancement
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXNovember 9, 2017
Lyondell has an excellent safety record and great training for their employees. A place that is good to retire from with good benefits. The level of experienced operators and all staff provides a good foundation for new employees and their training. The company leans towards promoting from within and encourages/trains their employees to move up.
Pros
Pay is comparable to other companies in industry.
Cons
Management Front Line supervision- no focus
Great Place to Work
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXOctober 24, 2017
My tenure here at LYB has been great. I am leaving for personal reasons but if I didn't have to I wouldn't. Great benefits, people to work with and for and a great work/life balance.
Behind the times
Employee (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 16, 2017
Culture and benefits are well behind the times compared to other chemical industry employers--the company is aware of this and shows little action toward improvement. Bureaucracy and narrow mindedness around roles and responsibilities make it nearly impossible to get things done.
ok
Acetic Acid Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2017
Was an ok place to work. Leadership was lacking which made everyday a struggle. Not one of the better plants to work in. Not bad for someone with no experience.
company moving forward
Capital Administration / Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2017
I worked with LyondellBasell between 1988 and 2017. I have always enjoyed the environment and the work. Management comes and goes with any company and each management style is different both good and bad. It is no different with LyondellBasell. The benefits are excellent and salary competitive. The more transactional jobs are being phased out, either with outsourcing or, as in my case, automation.
Pros
great people to work with, good benefits
Cons
just my own opinions so I will decline comment
Revieing packages for IFA and IFC
Senior Instrument Engineer QA/QC (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2017
Coming in and reviewing I&E packages for IFA (Issue for Approval) and IFC (Issue for Construction) was the hardest part of my position, it 's a lot of responsibility that goes with my position.
The Engineering Group were easy to get along with and would help with getting the correct answers.

I learned how to budget Man-hours

I know what management expects

The culture was balanced

The hardest part of the job is closing out the projects

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Pros
The people, the projects and the salary
Cons
Moving the young people up and moving the older one's more into consulting
Great Place to work
Master Data Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2017
I was impressed by the helpful and training quality of the staff. Management made sure you were fully equipped for the job you were brought in to perform.
Pros
Great employees
The people were great!
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2017
The hours may have been long for my role, but people are understanding and will work to provide work/life balance. Individuals are knowledgeable and the work is meaningful.
Pros
Pay, people, and organizational management
its good to work here
Java UI Developer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2017
nice company and good people to work with. i love to work here. management is good and they maintain good in all criteria. and it good to work here overall.
Good working culture
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 14, 2017
Organing the work for the day and week.
Worked extremely well with the engineers in the plant.
Learned about the operation of each plant department.
Great training of the operation and development of the employee.
Volumn of work during turnaround.
Working together as a team.
Pros
Great teamwork with the plant departments
Cons
Supporting multiple plants and pipeline operation.
Great company
Accounting and Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2017
The pay is competitive and the culture is relaxed. I was just bored there because the people there are old. The people are very friendly and very helpful. The management is great, but advancement is hard in the company. The company is diverse too.
Pros
relaxed, no pressure, and friendly people
Cons
advancing is hard, boring, and old
Poor management
Category Manager/Buyer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2017
My managers do not know how to treat people and make them feel valuable. It's all criticism and never a word of encouragement. I do not have freedom to do my job.
Great Company
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Chocolate Bayou, TXAugust 31, 2017
I work on the Dupont schedule and I was a great schedule to follow. The employees were very welcoming and fun to work with. I enjoyed my time with the company and was not happy about leaving.
good for balance and people but not for career
Account Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Rotterdam, NYAugust 22, 2017
great people and work life balance but career development at slow pace
HQ in Rotterdam:
pros) is very international, you will work with people of different nationalities and backgrounds;
cons) management is very senior- 45+ so for professionals in their 20s or 30s there is very limited possibility to get a people management experience and more responsibility
Team Environment
MATERIAL INVENTORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 22, 2017
A great company to work for and to build a career with. A company that likes to work together as a team. Everyone is willing to help one another grow and willing to teach one another.
Culture vs Compensation
Sr. Consultant - Business Rptg (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2017
Lyondell's philosophy was to pay highly effective people highly competitive packages. They were very successful in balancing that philosophy to maintain and retain a highly effective workforce.

The culture was such that the employees maintained high expectations for themselves and each other. This resulted in exceptional delivery of the business.
Chemical Plant
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJuly 27, 2017
Well it's a chemical plant that process all sorts of different chemicals and gasses. They run a very smooth and safe plant. Always making sure everything is in good conditions to run and prevent at all cost any accidents. In overall they run a very safe environment so everyone can always go home safely. As rewards to all there employees they provide rewards for them all like lunches and all sorts of different rewards.
Pros
Everyone is friendly and very helpful and they provide alot of good information.
Great Culture
Recruiting Coordinator (CDI - Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2017
Absolutely enjoyed the team I worked with. It was a great culture from the moment I stepped in for my interview. The director had an open door policy.
Coworkers great, mid-management bad
PROCESS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJuly 18, 2017
The management is disfunctional and will eventually drive the work force to unionize. Very unengaged and unmotivated workforce due to lacking leadership.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management
Another company with siloed closed managmenet purchased company
Senior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  USAJuly 10, 2017
New company management cleared out middle management from company they purchased. Brought in their own people and did not pay attention to those closes to the processes which resulted eventually in Chapter 11 and re-organization.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Culture of ignoring workers. Like it or leave mentality by management.