M+W Group Employee Reviews

Workplace culture - professional
Hardest part - not hard
I enjoyed going to work
Pros
Cons
None I can think of
Additional training was encouraged.
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2017
Staff portability was encouraged on major design projects. Flex-time was allowed. Corporate structure was a mixed blessing as this is an international architectural-engineering-construction firm.
Pros
Technical work
Cons
Staff turn-over
Good place to Work, People are talented and great colleages
Senior Project Architect (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2017
Good place o work with good pay. Management is not in touch with the day to day work and don't have the awareness of how to help the regular worker and provide little support
Pros
good pay. good colleages
Cons
poor management
Good Company
CONTROLS ENGINEER (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIAugust 8, 2017
A lot of things to do, environment is really nice, people is very helpful, management is great, Different things in each project a lot of learning in new thechnology
great professionalism
Sr Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 24, 2017
Always busy and productive. We all worked as a team delivering the product to the client. We became a good set of friends that took care of each other.
Pros
productive
Disorganized
Change Control Lead / Cost Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 6, 2017
Resistant to establishing consistent policies and procedures. Management focused on field progress at the expense of financial standing. No sense of urgency at financial difficulties.
company has changed over the years and not for the good.
Oracle Account Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 27, 2017
The company was once a top notch company. You were ready to go to work every morning. You worked hard and enjoyed it. New management brought around new changes. Not for the better. Communication with the ranks became nil. No one knows what is going on. It is a stressful situation to be around right now. I have been here long enough to see this company at the top. We are no longer there and it will take a lot of time for to ever get there again.
Pros
people are like family
Cons
no communication from the top, secrets everywhere. Sitting on pins and needles all the time.
Engineering at its best
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 12, 2017
I loved working for M+W Group. but there has been some upper management changes that has made them lose a lot of design opportunities. and because of that they have downsized.
Good Company but tough to work for
Site Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 5, 2017
Personnel are friendly. Some managers should not be in the positions they are in due to their personality. they are unwilling to allow people to think for themselves and create a workable atmosphere. Jobs like this are tea effort but with the manager using the "my way or the highway" technique of leadership. it does create a hostile work environment.
Pros
Some nice people there that are knowledgeable in their fields.
Cons
Some managers need leadership traiing.
M+W Project Management Intern
Project Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 6, 2017
My typical day involved reviewing and modifying several excel files. Outside of the work done on excel I was given the opportunity to walk an active construction site and witness all parts of the design build process. I enjoyed
Pros
Free Lunch's, Flexible work hours for full time employees, opportunity to learn

Want to know more about M+W Group?

Ask a question
A very good company to start with
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 5, 2015
Friendly work environment and a great scope for learning.Learnt and managed document control and field operations.Working on a P & G project with lots to learn.
Big
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 7, 2015
No place for those in need of oversight or direction. Self motivation essential.
Ability to impact minimal.
Reasonable expectations.
Diversified workforce. Constructors ranging from entry level to veteran travellers.
The hardest lesson is that superhuman effort or minimal effort bears about the same results, the turning a battleship syndrome.
The most enjoyable part is finding the company of other career constructors who share the passion for this kind of work and who understand the means and methods required to move the ball.
As a CM M+W is a titan. There is ample lip service paid to core values and those values are likely sincerely felt by the originators. The truth of scale is that values have to be brought to the work by the project employees since efforts to instill them are lost on a temporary workforce.
Pros
Per diem
Cons
Less than optimal management structure
Just a job, not a career
Employee (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 11, 2015
The best part of M+W are the people, which makes coming into work everyday very pleasant. There isn't a lot of room for growth, and compensation is below market. It's a great place for someone who doesn't have much aspiration, but enjoys a calm drama free work environment.
Pros
Free gourmet coffee, soda and breakfast (Fridays only)
Cons
Pay below market rate
Stable, realible and serious
Electrical Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
M+W Group is a good place to work. They compensate well and have consistenly been busy. Though sometimes you can get lost or pigeon holed here, generally I have been very fortunate to work here. You are assigned to projects and usually stay on the job to the end. Sometimes you have severalprojects at once, but nothing you cannot handle.
They recenlty are getting better at teaching and continually educating the work force beyond lunch and learns. I have been taught Revit MEP since working here and we have classes on basic electrical design
Pros
Stable, usually busy, continuing education
Cons
pigeon hole workers, inconsistant communication, some politics
There is alot of young talent there
EHS Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 23, 2015
I enjoy each day there

The company as a whoe is very dynamic and has alot of growth potential.

The day to day operations are as all construction can be stressful and very organized.

We have built an team of young players
Great opportunities
Tool Install Construction Coordinator, Grade TI5 (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYMarch 20, 2015
I like the company and where it is going, it is headed in the right direction with its global strategy in the EPCM market. You are your own man, you run your jobs to be successful.
Pros
Self rule
Cons
Needs more muscle
M+W Group is a good place for an entry level engineer to learn and grow
Process Piping Coordinator / Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYJanuary 11, 2015
Working at M+W Group has been a rewarding and challenging experience. I have relocated to Massachusetts and have purchased a home near family and friends. I have requested a transfer to the greater Boston / New England area, but M+W Group have no job opportunites to employ me there.
World wide construction company with a great group of people.
CORPORATE OFFICE COORDINATOR/ACCOUNTING (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 3, 2014
M+W is an excellent company to work for. Great benefits. I have learned a lot about the construction industry both in the office and at the job site. My co workers are a hard working group of people who take the time to enjoy their work day as well. The hardest part of the job is learning the lingo with the union workers. Getting them the needed product sometimes takes some probing but throughout the years I have learned how to understand them and help them in every way possible to get product to them in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. We are a tight group and enjoy working together.
Pros
Full kitchen. Flexible work schedule.
Cons
It is hard work and not for the meek.
Ill-Managed A&E firm
Project Manager / Design Lead (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORSeptember 18, 2014
In the 4+ years employed for M+W there was disarray everywhere. Multiple management changes along with poor descision making produced a massive downfall the was never recovered from thus ending a partnership with a major client and driving the company to other endeavours.
Pros
Not much to speak of
Cons
Multiple including turnover, poor upper management, wages/bonuses/expected hours for salaried employees, etc.
Lives in the past...
Architectural Department Head (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJune 4, 2014
this company is failing due to inability to change with the times. New software must work like the old software. Not willing to change. Continue to respond to RFP's as they did 20 years ago as well as poor quality deliverables has caused the company to not have repeat clients. When suggested there be changes in that performance and quality the response was no thank you.
Pros
free fruit and beverages
Cons
living in past and finger pointing instead of solution finding