M&T Bank

M&T Bank Employer Reviews

Large company with a lot of determination and expectations
Teller (Former Employee), Newark, DEAugust 12, 2014
A typical day is assisting customers with their everyday banking needs such as deposits, cashing of checks, payments and balance inquiries. Very diverse company with a lot of room for advancement. The hardest part of the job is trying not to have to much fun!
Productive work place very result oriented
Vice President (Sr. Project Manager/Product Owner) (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 12, 2014
The bank dealt with professionals who are very hardworking and result oriented. The project had chosen talented individuals within the bank to help facilitate the conversion process and provide better banking facilities to its end users
Fun place to work
Senior Mortgage Collectionand Service Specialist (Former Employee), Amhesrt New YorkAugust 11, 2014
Pros: larger company
Cons: high turm over
A lot of customer contact in a fast paced environment. Collections area is large and a very fast paced environment.
Team Leader (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 11, 2014
Supervised a staff of several associates. Handled customers transactions. Open and closed the branch
It's simple, stare at your monitor
Closing Associate (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 10, 2014
Pros: you sit all day
Cons: everything else
I haven't learned any transferable skills. You are being watched and judged. Don't leave your cubicle for long periods of time or you'll get an email suggesting you take shorter breaks. Upward movement is stagnant. You'll be better served changing departments if you want to move up. Overworked but you get paid overtime so it balances out...right?
M&T Bank is a place that most people stay for years, but when it comes to department downsizing some things just can not be changed.
Post Closing - Loan Delivery Specialist (Former Employee), Lake Oswego, ORAugust 7, 2014
Pros: they had great benefits
I always liked working at M&T Bank and wish that I still did. There were cut backs in all departments.
Boys Club
Risk Analyst (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 7, 2014
Typical day started at 8am and was fast paced most day until the end of the work day.
No training, learn as you go.
Coworkers where amazing.
Management --- Boys Club, no place for advancement even if you go above and beyond and do as you are told. When they want you out they work very hard to make life miserable until you leave.
Very big on hiring family – more... and friends of the "powers that be"
Worked there for 8 years and only received cost of living raises while those around me received titles and large increases. I was told I did not deserve a pay increase, even though I went to night school to obtain my Bachelors Degree, while working 40 hours a week and being a single mom.
I loved this job and miss my coworkers immensely but management really needs to work on themselves and learning to appreciate employees that deserve it. – less
Small bank
Head Teller (Former Employee), Wayne, PAAugust 3, 2014
Small bank with little room for growth. Branch hours are typical compared to other banks.
Ok Job. Pay is low
Relationship Banker (Former Employee), Lemoyne, PAAugust 1, 2014
Pay is low. Very goal driven. Employees are rather expendable. MGT not willing to staff branches and makes for a stressful day.

Some branches are better than others. Your work life and job satisfaction will be determined by what branch manager you end up with.
Great Bank
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Buffalo NYAugust 1, 2014
Pros: benifits and managemnet
Cons: long hours
Wonderful place to work. Wish I had never left. Wonderful management that cared about employees
Lack of training
Trust and Investment Specialist (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 1, 2014
Pros: flexibilty
A typical day could be rather overwhelming because of short staffing, and a lack of training for new employees. I have learned how to work in Corporate America and take part in Board and Staff meetings. My co-workers are nice and approachable. The hardest part of the job is the lack of staffing and training. The most enjoyable part of the job is the – more... flexibility. – less
Great job
Cash Operations Teller (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 31, 2014
Great job for a new graduate into the business world or banking field.
The worst employment decision ever made!!!
Manager (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PaJuly 22, 2014
Pros: the time off
Cons: culture, work environment, management
Beware to anyone considering working here...especially if you're outside the organization and have never been in a "Bank" environment. The culture is horrible...especially in the building I was in. The majority of people were non-social and made you feel uncomfortable by their unfriendliness and they distanced themselves from you. There's no fraternization, – more... no camaraderie with other coworkers....just a constant "CYA" atmosphere where everyone is afraid to offend the next person and if you do, beware! If you don't fit in or conform...watch out!

The work environment's most common statement is, "The Bank" says do this or "The Bank" says do that and it's very similar to the Wizard of Oz whereby everyone has to listen without any voice or opinion!! You'll never have your ideas or suggestions heard as "The Bank" has their own way of doing things and if you don't like it, either keep your mouth shut or find another job.

The management I was subjected to was awful and never provided any guidance as a new employee to get acclimated to "The Bank" ways and the unwritten rules of how to work with the numerous departments that we had to deal with. Speaking of....it's insane how many people are involved with the simplest things all because of the CYA environment that exists there. The waste of time, energy and effort is unbelievable all because of "The Bank's" culture.

The management (which are all VP's) only cares to "look" good in their supervisors eyes and could care less about anything else...especially the people that work under them. They will fabricate and exaggerate reports all to satisfy the folks in Buffalo. During a week long stay in the hospital, my supervisor never called or visited to see how I was doing and never asked how I was once I returned. She only had one thing on her mind...get projects done so SHE could look good. That spoke volumes about her character and that is when I knew I made a mistake going to M&T.

I will say that at the Branch level the people there were more friendly and outgoing and perhaps it's because they have more "people skills" unlike the "institutionalized zombies" in the corporate offices.

To anyone considering employment at M&T....just be careful for what "think" what you're getting into. It's NOT AT ALL what they tell you it will be. – less
the most enjoyable part of the job
Teller (Former Employee), Dover Plains, NYJuly 21, 2014
customers and co workers
easy to learn how to do
still use as my bank
A typical day at work
Teller (Current Employee), Easton, mdJuly 17, 2014
A typical work day is usually upbeat, very entertaining, everyone gets along great. The atmosphere is great and so are the people. I love working here, especially my branch.
productive,fun
Mortgage processor (Former Employee), Ballston Lake, NYJuly 17, 2014
Great company to work for. Everyone is always very helpful. Benefits are great. Management is great to work with.
would go back
Senior Mortgage Servcing Representative (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJuly 15, 2014
Enjoyed going from Temp to perm.
Also enjoyed the work I did, would def. reapply .
Very busy, fast paced, and diverse office environment.
Commercial Relationship Liaison (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 14, 2014
Pros: caring, compassionet work/life balance.
Cons: cost of healthcare (out of pocket expenses)
I start my day with the daily reports, overdrafts, account service, rates. I move on to checking my emails for any customer concerns, questions, requests. I resolve any concerns and I monitor through out the day. Most of my customer contact is via email. I support the Relationship Managers in the Healthcare and Not for Profit group. I could do anything – more... from open new accounts, maintenance on existing accounts, close loans, order appraisals, environmental reports, flood certificates, order supplies, schedule meetings, and maintaining credit files. A new KYC/AML policy has been implemented and it is challenging to complete the requirements to be in compliance. I love to help the customers, this has always be what I like best, helping customers. – less
A nice place to start your career
Business Analyst - Administrative (Current Employee), Williamsport, PAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: company picnic
Cons: healthcare
A typical work day consist of reports, setting up projects and managing the office environment. Management is typical for this area. I've learned how to work with different personalities. The hardest part of this job is functionality. The most enjoyable part of this job is it is a great company to grow with.
High volume of documents to review daily
Fraud Analyst (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJuly 8, 2014
Pros: benefits, advancement, good working environment.
Cons: cubicle environment, compensation.
Learned quite a bit from the banking industry. The environment was nice to work in. Most co-workers were friendly & helpful. Cubicle environment, customer service, analyzing data/documents.

1 2 3 4 5

About M&T Bank

M&T Bank is considered one of the country's most highly regarded regional banks. We were founded more than 150 years ago in – Read more

M&T Bank Photos