M&T Bank

M&T Bank Employer Reviews

Great Place to Work
Senior Telephone Service Representative (Current Employee), Millsboro, DEJanuary 25, 2015
M&T bank was a great place to work. The management was enjoyable and the tasks were not very hard. If it wasn't for another Job opportunity I would not have left.
Learn different software programs, co-workers helpful & nice
Compliance (Current Employee), Buffalo, New YorkJanuary 24, 2015
Learned different software programs with in the bank from moving from department to department. Most management was great & helpful. Most Co-workers made me fill like I was part of the team & not just a temp. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people & learning different area's of the banking industry.
Nice people, lots of opportunities, but very silo'd
Technology Team Lead (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: friendly, professional atmosphere
Cons: healthcare, slow pace
Though I have heard that management is variable, my managers have been fairly good at not micromanaging, and asking for my feedback, trying to make sure I am happy. However, there are a lot of politics to wade through. Many business units operate very slowly and do not communicate well to other groups, making it tough to get new, modern ideas to take hold. There is a lot of room for improvement and growth, but you must be ready to be patient and willing to talk to many different people to find the best way to get results. Everyone is friendly and professional, however, compensation is good (though health care benefits could be vastly improved).
Shrewd, Intuitive Organization
OFFICER, BRANCH MANAGER (Current Employee), Damascus, MDJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: stability in corporate offices, very well managed, strong marketing support
Cons: employee benefits, wages, upward mobility, goals
M&T is ahead of the curve. They thrive on honest, hard hitting analysis and game plan around that analysis to address key issues affecting the organization currently, and in the future. Their response to the rapidly evolving compliance culture around banking was second to none, and an easy transition for their clients. The bank is heavily tilted toward the share holders, making it an extremely sound investment. However, the employee benefits have taken a huge nose dive, from compensation, to health insurance to general expenses. No holiday party expenses are aloud for each branch team, and a very minimal employee welfare budget. Furthermore, the goals are pre-2008 level. In a challenging deposit and loan environment, the bank is asking each employee to double and triple their pre-2008 output, despite having significantly less staff. Overall it is a shrewd, very intelligent organization that is losing sight of the heart of the culture - the people.
Challenging
Mortgage Operations (Current Employee), amherst nyJanuary 23, 2015
Face-paced.
Not a lot of room for moving up in the company.
Work becomes mundane after a while.
Work place confusion and undue stress levels are high.
"Build The Bank" Team Lead, IT Optimization (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: industry basic practices
Cons: stove pipe operations
Governance of process & assets control require enhancements. The acceptance of "Key words/phrases" over methodology understanding added confusion over improvement. Due to over 100 year activities, Culture (i.e., tenure) has precedent over deliverable.
No chance for advancment
Branch Manager / Small Business Banking Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 19, 2015
• I was responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the branch.
• I was also responsible for acquiring and developing new small business relationships with local businesses.
• Successfully managed a Level I branch with deposits of over 5 million and loans in excess of 1.5 million a year.
• Under my leadership the branch has increased total deposit and loan productivity 20.7%.
• Developed customer-tracking spreadsheet and database that allows me to follow up on customer requests and develop cross-sales opportunities.
• I have been recognized by Regional Manager for my ability to develop a sound business analysis plan that has allowed my branch to meet our budgeted performance goals.
Fun Workplace
BSA Compliance Analyst -FIU Specialist (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 15, 2015
learned alot, people cared about there job. No late nights and gm was great.
good.
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJanuary 15, 2015
they cared about their employees. upper management was cool and the schedule and pay was good. I only left because they wouldnt give me the schedule i wanted, so i could be home with my child at night.
Great Work Experience
Relationship Banker II (Current Employee), Ellicott City, MDJanuary 14, 2015
very good working environment. love managers and co-workers. moderate job difficulty. 40 hours or less per week.
Don't do it...save yourself!
Senior Teller (Former Employee), NYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: the people i worked with and the customers
Cons: everything else
They will tell you they are a community bank and are all about the customer. They will also tell you how wonderful they are to work for. They have their heads in cloud. Upper management doesn't have a clue what goes on in the branches. They recently found themselves in a bind and are tightening their purse strings. As a result, more fees for account holders and non-account holders.( $2 to withdrawal from your own account inside if you don't have a check of your own on you!!) It also leads to worse health benefits then in the past with a huge deductible.
Great place to work.
Group Leader (Former Employee), Amherst, NYJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: a place that you can make a career out of.
Cons: pay is not that great.
Really enjoyed working for this company. I enjoyed working in the department I worked in and the people I worked for. There is just so much you can learn and they provide classes to help you grow within the company.
Pleasant place to be at.
TELLER VAULT/CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Vienna, VAJanuary 6, 2015
busy, friendly and most of all professional.
co-workers we enforce teamwork
not being able to achieve or accomplish the day
making goals by finding solutions to customers and coaching them
Departmental Growing Pains
BSA Compliance Analyst (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 6, 2015
Needs of compliance department have exceeded the knowledge and training of direct management who are NOT (as claimed) subject matter experts.
credit counselor
Credit Counselor, Loan Officer, Banking Officer (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 4, 2015
responsible for collecting delinquent paper
responsible for training new employees
responsible for calling customers
responsible for collecting visa, installment loans and mortgages
responsible for skip tracing
Interesting
Operations Associate (Temporary) (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 4, 2015
I have never had a desk job before so this has been quite an experience. I arrive to work at 8 Monday through Friday and am let out at 4:30 every afternoon. I have become a much better typer especially with the numbers. My co-workers are wonderful and have helped me learn many new things. I am now well versed in TPS, Shaw, File Net and COP. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. There really isn't a difficult part to me for the job, everything takes time to learn but I would not consider it hard.
In the learning stages too soon to tell
Senior Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Amherst NYJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: learning a lot
Cons: production environment
prepare teller deposits for I-Tran
Balance the work after it is imaged
productive place to work
Teller Supervisor (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 29, 2014
it was a good experience working for this company. typical day was ok I learned a lot. management needs work but work in progress. enjoyable part is getting to no my co workers. the hardest part of my job is the customers can be very mean and nasty at times.
Great Place to work..
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYDecember 28, 2014
During my time at M&T , this i can say it was the best job i had by all means i was not paid well.. The friendships i made.. all the people were fantastic.. from the reps to the management teams.
Lots of Potential
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Frederick, MDDecember 27, 2014
Pros: great room to learn and grow
Cons: depending on your position and location you may end up feeling bogged down
M&T has been great for me and my life, I was given a chance starting out as a teller to have a job that helped me grow as a person and keep my life together. Eventually I was given the opportunity to mature into a more fulfilling banker role which I loved also. The only down side I feel is that despite having unified goals as a company a lot of the individual employees sometimes feel unwilling or unable to uphold them. It's a great company on paper and while still good in person it's not currently meeting it's full potential.

1 2 3 4 5

About M&T Bank

M&T Bank is considered one of the country's most highly regarded regional banks. We were founded more than 150 years ago in – Read more

M&T Bank Photos