M&T Bank Employee Reviews

Great place to work, bad pay
Compliance Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 30, 2016
I have been working at this company for over 2 years and I love the job and the people. I have learned a lot and I would love to stay with the bank. The pay sucks though and we get no incentives or bonuses as it was said they could not do it fairly. Also, when banking officer titles are up for review, the people that have been with the bank for 20 years get it over people based on merit. Like I said, I do really enjoy working here and the atmosphere that I am in, however if they do not give us better pay or incentives I may have to look elsewhere.
Pros
Good people, easy to learn, good management
Cons
Low pay, no incentives or bonuses
Ability for advanced learning, but no where for growth on what im in school for
Customer Service Associate, Collections (Current Employee) –  Millsboro, DE 19966October 10, 2016
I love working at M&T Bank, the people are great and the environment is very calm and welcoming. I have learned a lot since working here from right out of high school until now being a 21 year old adult. But since being in school and taking different career path that interest me besides banking. I now want the ability for growth in a career that I want to succeed in long into the future, especially something that I love and have always had an interest in.
Pros
great people, relaxed environment, always garunteed full time work, availibility for over time work
Cons
no room for growth, not in my career feild
Productive postion but no room for advancement.
Senior Credit Counselor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 29, 2016
We had incentives but slowly were dropped down to nothing and the goals were un-obtainable once changed. instead of hiring a new team lead within the department that knew what the job entailed and how it was to be done. they hired a team leader from a completely different company with a completely different background who did not know the job at all. We as associates had to train our new team leader. No room for improvement
Great Ciustomer Service
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDDecember 1, 2016
A typical day at work consist of servicing patrons with banking needs, such as safe deposit, withdrawals, deposits, and product suggestions.
I learned how to cross sale.
Management often covered multiple locations.
Co-workers very nice and friendly
The most difficult part of the job was servicing the ATM's
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
Pay is terrible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Millsboro, DENovember 4, 2016
They pay is terrible considering the responsibility that you.have. moreover there are different departments who have less workload but get more pay. Incentive plans are okay but a lot of times it's only their swag They offer as incentives. Your adherence is essential
as well as call quality. You will learn a lot about the banking industry.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Not enoigh pay
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2016
I enjoyed the variety in my job, it never got too boring. I learned so many things about manufacturing, packaging and labeling of over the counter pharmaceuticals. I liked working in the Pilot Laboratory with the miniature size equipment compared to the commercial size equipment used in the factory. I especially liked the scale-up process, that is where I learned the most about the robustness of the formula and the process used to manufacture gets challenged.
Productive and Friendly Atmosphere as well as Very Professional and Customer Oriented
Head Teller/Teller (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PANovember 16, 2016
I was employed at M&T Bank for over 4 years..I was Head teller , I enjoyed my coworkers and looked forward to working every day..I also enjoyed the interaction I had with the public
Pros
Training Benefits Friendly Workplace and alot of advancement opportunities
Cons
None to report
Great Job. Sucky Tellers.
Teller (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, MDSeptember 7, 2016
Job would be fantastic if my coworkers weren't so awful. Definitely a job I could see my self loving without these idiots. Riviera Beach Maryland tellers are catty and not helpful. Tell you a thousand different ways to do things and then yell at you for it. The job itself is easy if you don't plan on talking to anyone except customers. Can't even ask questions without getting an attitude.
Secure place of employment
Assistant Vice President & Loan Workout Officer II (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 20, 2016
Good place to work, job security in most departments. There is always a chance to increase job experience and knowledge but not always a chance to move up via promotion.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Job promotions limited, pay scales need restructuring to meet current market and level of responsibility
M&T - Best Job I've Had
Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 29, 2016
I absolutely loved working for M&T Bank. I was a floater and ever single person I met within the company was fantastic. Unfortunately I had to leave because the pay was so low. It's a shame because I loved this job and got many compliments on my work there.
Pros
Work life balance, morale, fair, great staff
Cons
Compensation, working weekends
The corporate message was confusing
Senior Vendor Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 26, 2016
During the final interview, the Executives which I interviewed with stated they welcomed all candidates - even without prior banking experience. However, during my experience, the culture was extremely biased to the fact I did not have the prior banking experience.
Pros
None to speak of
Cons
Professional Culture
Great company to work for
Sr Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ballston Lake, NYOctober 10, 2016
My typical day at work was rather busy. We had just started an Evergreen act which meant we were at the begining stages of going paperless. That process was causing some tension because a lot of the loan officers weren't sure how that was going to fit into their routine. My management was based out of Buffalo, so that was a major inconvienence because when issues arose, we had no reliable point of contact. There was a lot of office drama between the departments making it hard to get along with much of anyone, which was fine because I was there to do my job, not mingle. The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of employee engagement and recognition the bank had. There were a lot of events focused on getting coworkers together to act as a team and help give back to the community. M&T Bank is very committed to helping get involved with all different events.
Wonderful job while in college
PT Teller (Current Employee) –  Havre de Grace, MDAugust 29, 2016
Being a PT Teller was an exceptional job during the last few years of my college career. My branch worked with my changing schedules and other times I needed off for school/events. I'm lucky because my co-workers have been wonderful and the environment is very positive where I work.

I have learned so much there about business and I know that this foundation will help me in my future business career.

I love being able to talk with our customers and help them in any way I can, that's my favorite part about my job. I can help people by uncovering small ways to help them out in the future. The hardest part about being a teller is the lack of staff which means you have more responsibility put on your shoulders.

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at M&T.
Pros
Great co-workers, positive environment, willing to work around schedules
Cons
Staffing
A day and a life with M & T Bank
Relationship Banker I/Floater (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 15, 2016
Depending on where you are working, you can make the best of bad circumstances with a great group of co workers.

Floating is the best way to get to know everyone at different branches and experience where you want to be if you want to be planted.
Pros
Free checking and savings accounts
Cons
1/2 hour lunch breaks
Lack of Management, Poor Coworker Relationships
Commercial Vault Teller (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJuly 14, 2016
I enjoyed this job more than any other because of the work itself. The industry is always changing therefore there are always new things to learn. There was very little guidance and mentoring and an abundance of outright hostile behavior and office politics. No management was present for the better part of six months. I learned that I thrive best in a friendly work environment where everybody on the team supports and encourages her teammates, and that the environment in this particular workplace proved too difficult to overcome.
Senior Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 10, 2016
M&T is a great company to work for. There is a healthy work life balance and great benefits. I have been working here for two years and I love it. I enjoy the customers and my co-workers.Great place to be employed, there is never anyone hovering over you to get the job done. You know you responsibilities and you perform them in a timely manner.
Great career
Retail Regional Sales Manager - Admin V.P (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 22, 2016
I started with M&T Bank right out of college and grew with the company over the past 13 years. I was well thought of and built a solid working relationship with everyone in retail banking along with many others in different lines of work within the bank. I was able to progress quickly to higher levels of responsibility and compensation. I learned a great deal about leading by example and engaging a work force. The culture at M&T was excellent as they practiced the open door policy at all levels, making everyone comfortable to reach out when needed. My favorite part of my last role as Regional Sales Manager was the ability to do daily coaching and development with my 18 direct reports along with the other 100 employees the rolled up under my responsibility.
Pros
Great work life balance, support from management, open feedback
Cons
Less pay than competition, archaic computer systems
Be prepared to be bullied
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Dutchess County, NYNovember 30, 2016
Discrimination. Workplace Bullying. The pay is not competitive. Worst employment experiences in my entire life. I go home almost weekly in tears because of the bullying by individuals that the manager favors.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Bullying, harassment, lack of leadership
Constant Improvement
Senior Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYSeptember 19, 2016
Company is constantly trying to improve what the offer to the customers which means constant changes. They like recent graduates with Bachelor degrees. They have a management development and sales development program for the graduates.
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Solid financial institution with sound ethics.
Project/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 23, 2016
M&T is a stable place to work. Compensation and benefits are adequate and their office space/facilities are well maintained. M&T serves the Western NY communities and the other regional areas in its footprint well. It is a solid brand with a loyal customer base and many long time employees. The hardest part of the job is that with so many groups and people involved in projects, things tend to move slowly. There is a strong dependency on PMI and as a result, projects can be rather management heavy -- but they are also well documented.
Pros
Solid & Stable
Cons
Things happen slowly