M&T Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Lack of Management, Poor Coworker Relationships
Commercial Vault Teller (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJuly 14, 2016
I enjoyed this job more than any other because of the work itself. The industry is always changing therefore there are always new things to learn. There was very little guidance and mentoring and an abundance of outright hostile behavior and office politics. No management was present for the better part of six months. I learned that I thrive best in a friendly work environment where everybody on the team supports and encourages her teammates, and that the environment in this particular workplace proved too difficult to overcome.
Senior Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 10, 2016
M&T is a great company to work for. There is a healthy work life balance and great benefits. I have been working here for two years and I love it. I enjoy the customers and my co-workers.Great place to be employed, there is never anyone hovering over you to get the job done. You know you responsibilities and you perform them in a timely manner.
Solid financial institution with sound ethics.
Project/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 23, 2016
M&T is a stable place to work. Compensation and benefits are adequate and their office space/facilities are well maintained. M&T serves the Western NY communities and the other regional areas in its footprint well. It is a solid brand with a loyal customer base and many long time employees. The hardest part of the job is that with so many groups and people involved in projects, things tend to move slowly. There is a strong dependency on PMI and as a result, projects can be rather management heavy -- but they are also well documented.
Pros
Solid & Stable
Cons
Things happen slowly
Management expects a lot in a fast pace environment
MIS Manager, Banking Officer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 7, 2016
I've learned a lot in this position and strengthened my reporting and analytic skills. I'm responsible for all reporting for multiple departments with high visiblility to senior management. Hardest part of the job is the constant change of environment and high demands. This job definitely makes me feel important in my role at the bank.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Rarely ever get a break to even eat my lunch at my desk
Efficient and knowledgable place to grow
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 19, 2016
The best part about my job is that my job is not widget-based. I'm constantly learning new processes and transactions. I like to be challenged with my jobs to keep my interest. The people that I work with (both co-workers and management) are fantastic and know what it takes to work on a team. I believe that the hardest part about my job would be to know when and what to delegate work appropriately. It's easy to get caught up with a transaction and want to take on more work than you can handle.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
The most "fun" job I ever had
Consumer Loan Officer II (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYMay 18, 2016
There were no "typical" days at M & T. The bank was in the middle of the financial meltdown and I was brought in to help them dispose of their foreclosed properties. We were in uncharted waters and that what made things so exciting.

I take great pride in the fact that I was made an Officer at the bank in less than 1 year. I was told this was one of the fastest promotions ever.
Pros
New challenge every day
Cons
Buffalo NY is not New York City
Amazing Management
Early Stage Credit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DE 19966May 9, 2016
Enjoyed every single day working at this place, management was completely amazing on how the go about certain things, just a lot of favoritism from the supervisors. Called various amount of customers a day in order to make payment arrangements. Even including collection calls 30+ day past due. I love every part of this job, it made me the person i am today, wouldnt know half the stuff i do now, if it werent for that company.
Pros
Christmas Bonuses
Cons
Management Playing Favorites
Bank Teller
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Rehoboth Beach, DEJune 16, 2016
A typical day at work is processing deposits, making payments, cashing checks, updating customer information and dealing with large amounts of cash. I have learned how to be very organized. You must be able to be very organized when you work in banking. I enjoy working around my co-workers and the management. Most of us who work at our branch have been with the bank for years and we've worked together so long that we're almost like family. I think the most intense part of the job is to constantly be on the lookout for a fraud situation so you can prevent that from happening. I think the best part of my job is getting appreciation from a customer that you have gone above and beyond to help with their information.
Pros
Serving the public and dealing with different situations every day
Cons
Dealing with irate customers
Mtb bank
Consumer Asset Management (Current Employee) –  GettzvileMay 23, 2016
I can honestly say I love my career here at Mtb we are a close team and our goal is to prevent as many charge offs a possible. I take 50 to 100 calls a day with an 80 percent success rate of the accts being paid off . Hardest part of my job is the customer who's hardship cannot be fixed with the options we have.
Pros
great outings when our goals are reachd flexable scheduling for emergencies
Cons
short breaks
I would not recommend anyone to work for this bank.
Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Shamokin, PAJune 30, 2016
I liked my job and was very good at what I was responsible for. The pay was not very good for the amount of jobs I had to do. They expect alot from you with little compensation. My office that I worked at in Shamokin, had a lot of drama and cliques. Management was not very good. Terrible leadership.
Pros
I liked helping my customers
Cons
terrible management
Strong credit-risk culture
(KYC) Officer (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYJune 1, 2016
Strong, credit-risk culture. Community-minded, middle-tier bank. Overall friendly co-workers. Good, clean office environment. Good pantries. Lots of sharing of snacks, frequent free lunches. Frequent trips to headquarters in Buffalo, NY.
Pros
Online training programs
Cons
Long hours, poor systems, limited possibilities for promotion and adavancement, inaccesable management.
Steady employer in a not so stable work environment
Quality Assurance Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 25, 2016
My review will be somewhat vague as one can figure out who I am based on specifics.

You can guess how your day is going to be based on the previous day. You know your hours to work and you'll rarely be surprised beyond the typical firefighting that's necessary in this job.

The management and job culture style is outdated and reminds you of what you'd expect in the 50's and 60's but with computers present. It's easy to get used to albeit somewhat odd to experience for the first time.

I enjoyed working there as I had piece of mind that I would have a job. The hardest part of the job was conforming to the rigidity of the "you work from 9-5 no matter what" culture.
Pros
Stability, pay
Cons
Advancement is based on network, more strict culture than other companies
Great work environment and professional staff
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYApril 3, 2016
One question I always ask during an interview is "...is there a family environment?" and eveyone has alwasy, always answered "Yes, certainly." 9 of 10 times its more like the Addams Family; however at M&T, that was certainly not the case. All the staff, from every department, made me feel like I was a part of a great, professional and functional family. Thanks to everyone I came in contact with at M&T.
It's what you make it!
Teller Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 21, 2016
It's one of the Best Banks on the east coast however advancing in the company is very challenging. Advancements and pay increases are two of the hardest things to get. If you join the company make sure you sit with your manager and put in place a career plan detailing the path you would like to travel. It's a big company and if you don't make that clear you will get lost in it.
enjoyable work , but very bad local management with little knowledge of the business
Sr Relation Ship Manager/business development (Former Employee) –  PoughkeepsieMarch 23, 2016
Call and make appointments for developing new business, as well as creating new customer for the bank . Sell banking products and provide the best service to the customer to demonstrate the best quality of service.
Meet on a quarterly basis or sooner if necessary to review existing customers account and portfolio , suggesting addition services and product if necessary.
Pros
Self managed
Cons
local management are not knowledgeable and poor management style.
Great foundation for a financially geared career
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 16, 2016
A job at M&T is a great introduction to the financial industry. I have learned a wealth of information on bank policies and federal laws pertaining to finance. M&T has been a great way to see how the daily operations at a financial institution are carried out. As the acting teller manager, I have gained valuable information on both bank operations and management from my time with the company.
Pros
Opportunity for growth, Sense of importance for all rankings
Cons
Compensation, Healthcare, High turnover rate
M&T Bank Excellent place to work
Systems Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAJune 30, 2016
M&T Bank is a good company to work for in the IT field.

Coworkers are great to work with you

The hardest part of the job is waiting for requirements and changes you need before you can start coding.
Pros
Managers help you and let you get your work done.
Cons
Could be more progressive in allow you to telecommute
Do not work here
Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYJuly 24, 2016
Worse experience of my life. Management is horrible. The assistant manager spends most of her time outside smoking. The manager never has anything nice to say about your performance. It is like middle school someone is always talking about someone. Even management participates in this behavior.
Cons
Wonderful people to work with.
Receptionist/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 3, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my position as Receptionist. I was well-liked by all employees, visiting executives, clients, instructors and vendors. I enjoyed making everyone smile. I was appreciated and that made me extremely happy.

My only complaint would be that 90% of the working population in our Executive Office Building were contracted employees. No benefits or vacations or sick days, and yet they were wonderful people to work with. Finally, I was laid off because they decided to contract my position out, also.
Pros
Very communicative Supervisor and very friendly people to work with.
Cons
Lack of non-contracted employees. Sometimes it showed through work ethics.
Great experience designing an App
User Interface and Graphic Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 30, 2016
Snow Angels was a prototype App development project I worked with in M&T. A typical week was communicating with the developers and making sure we are on the same page. Me and my partner was involved in the user interface and user experience part of the App.