M&T Bank

M&T Bank United States Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Legal Document Review Analyst (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 6, 2015
This was a temporary job where I learned a great deal about compliance work. This job has opened my eyes to new interests in the banking industry.
Fun workplace
Sr. Teller (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYMarch 4, 2015
Pros: hours, fun place to work
Cons: health care, pay rate
We had a great staff at the branch I was working at. We met our sales goals each month while having fun doing so. The environment was awesome and management was professional and easy to get along with.
great people, outdated workplace
Teller (Former Employee), State College, PAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: federal holidays!
This is a great place to work with a ton of really great people. Management is very supportive and encouraging and they really take care of their employees. It is a fairly large bank that feels like a community bank. However, the systems used and a lot of the practices in place seem outdated and behind those used by competitors. A typical day at work was usually quite busy. You get to serve a lot of customers either face to face or over the phone. There are rules to adhere to and policies to uphold, which I enjoy because I very much like to follow the rules! I always had support from my coworkers when I had a question, and if no one in the office knew, there was always a network of people and information at my fingertips. Finding answers to your questions was easy. The hardest part of the job was learning on the fly. There were always knew situations and questions arising, and it was a constant learning opportunity. That was also very enjoyable though. However, I think the most enjoyable part was just getting to know that a bank had "regulars" and those relationships in this industry are unique to any other.
Absolutley love M&T Bank - especially the culture.
Business Banking Credit Analyst (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: culture, leadership, educational support, and employee engagement
M&T Bank is the best place I have ever worked. The culture is amazing and the Leadership is exceptional. I have the upmost respect for the company and its' desire to live up to the expectations of it's employees, shareholders, and community.
Challenging
Business Development Officer - Outside Sales (Former Employee), Annapolis, MDFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: flexable work schedule. ability to work independently. able to work from home when needed.
Cons: required to do customer service work inside branch when needed.
My daily activity was to cold call on surrounding businesses actively growing the portfolio of a new M&T Branch location.
there are great employees, very diverse
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Millsboro, DEFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: it is an equal opportunity employer
Cons: 15 minute beaks but over 5 mins to get into the building
It was a very stressful enviorment but supervision and management were overly harsh. For the amount paid and what was expected, it did not equal out. It was so much different than my first stint from 1994 to 2000, in addition there was an awesome gym....was.
Good Place to Work
Teller / Senior Teller (Former Employee), North Salem, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: hours, pay, great people
I enjoyed my stay at this bank. Very professional. Manager was all about her employees. Meet a lot of people which made it a great place to network. Learned a lot of skills which I could use in my personal life.
Wasn't meant for me
Relationship Banker (Former Employee), MarylandFebruary 7, 2015
I know people who work there and love it, I was not one of them. It very much depends on your position and location. I, perhaps, am not the best example for a former employee. Decent benefits, pay on the lower end for the banking career but still reasonable. My immediate manager was wonderful and her manager was good too.
Some what enjoyable
Teller (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYFebruary 7, 2015
Was a slow branch didn't enjoy teller postion. Wasn't fast paced and not right job for me. Like more of a office setting and administrative setting. CO-workers were nice and easy to work with as well.
Great team work
Relationship Liaison, (Former Employee), Carlisle, PAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: flexiable time
Cons: healthcare benefits
Taking care of internal and external customers, entering loan docs.

The hardest part of the job was making sure that customer issue were completed on timely basis and the customer was satisfied.

Each day you learned a new experience.

My co-workers and I had a very good relationship.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and my co-works.
workplace environment
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), baltimore, mdFebruary 3, 2015
a good place to work, worked through the merger with Provident Bank without many issues, seemed to be a solid bank for its size, seemed to care for its employees
Retail banking is a dying operation
Relationship Banker (Current Employee), Danville, PAFebruary 2, 2015
People are not conducting their banking transactions in a face-to-face setting due to the advancement in technology. Downside with this is it is getting harder to reach branch and personal goals.
Stable company with low pay
Relationship Banker (Current Employee), Sycaway, NYJanuary 29, 2015
Great company to work for. Have learned a lot and have been given a lot of upward movement however the compensation is severely lacking.
Great Place to Work
Senior Telephone Service Representative (Current Employee), Millsboro, DEJanuary 25, 2015
M&T bank was a great place to work. The management was enjoyable and the tasks were not very hard. If it wasn't for another Job opportunity I would not have left.
Learn different software programs, co-workers helpful & nice
Compliance (Current Employee), Buffalo, New YorkJanuary 24, 2015
Learned different software programs with in the bank from moving from department to department. Most management was great & helpful. Most Co-workers made me fill like I was part of the team & not just a temp. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people & learning different area's of the banking industry.
Nice people, lots of opportunities, but very silo'd
Technology Team Lead (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: friendly, professional atmosphere
Cons: healthcare, slow pace
Though I have heard that management is variable, my managers have been fairly good at not micromanaging, and asking for my feedback, trying to make sure I am happy. However, there are a lot of politics to wade through. Many business units operate very slowly and do not communicate well to other groups, making it tough to get new, modern ideas to take hold. There is a lot of room for improvement and growth, but you must be ready to be patient and willing to talk to many different people to find the best way to get results. Everyone is friendly and professional, however, compensation is good (though health care benefits could be vastly improved).
Shrewd, Intuitive Organization
OFFICER, BRANCH MANAGER (Current Employee), Damascus, MDJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: stability in corporate offices, very well managed, strong marketing support
Cons: employee benefits, wages, upward mobility, goals
M&T is ahead of the curve. They thrive on honest, hard hitting analysis and game plan around that analysis to address key issues affecting the organization currently, and in the future. Their response to the rapidly evolving compliance culture around banking was second to none, and an easy transition for their clients. The bank is heavily tilted toward the share holders, making it an extremely sound investment. However, the employee benefits have taken a huge nose dive, from compensation, to health insurance to general expenses. No holiday party expenses are aloud for each branch team, and a very minimal employee welfare budget. Furthermore, the goals are pre-2008 level. In a challenging deposit and loan environment, the bank is asking each employee to double and triple their pre-2008 output, despite having significantly less staff. Overall it is a shrewd, very intelligent organization that is losing sight of the heart of the culture - the people.
Challenging
Mortgage Operations (Current Employee), amherst nyJanuary 23, 2015
Face-paced.
Not a lot of room for moving up in the company.
Work becomes mundane after a while.
Work place confusion and undue stress levels are high.
"Build The Bank" Team Lead, IT Optimization (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: industry basic practices
Cons: stove pipe operations
Governance of process & assets control require enhancements. The acceptance of "Key words/phrases" over methodology understanding added confusion over improvement. Due to over 100 year activities, Culture (i.e., tenure) has precedent over deliverable.
No chance for advancment
Branch Manager / Small Business Banking Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 19, 2015
• I was responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the branch.
• I was also responsible for acquiring and developing new small business relationships with local businesses.
• Successfully managed a Level I branch with deposits of over 5 million and loans in excess of 1.5 million a year.
• Under my leadership the branch has increased total deposit and loan productivity 20.7%.
• Developed customer-tracking spreadsheet and database that allows me to follow up on customer requests and develop cross-sales opportunities.
• I have been recognized by Regional Manager for my ability to develop a sound business analysis plan that has allowed my branch to meet our budgeted performance goals.

About M&T Bank

M&T Bank is considered one of the country's most highly regarded regional banks. We were founded more than 150 years ago in – Read more

M&T Bank Salaries