M&T Bank Employee Reviews

Strong credit-risk culture
(KYC) Officer (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYJune 1, 2016
Strong, credit-risk culture. Community-minded, middle-tier bank. Overall friendly co-workers. Good, clean office environment. Good pantries. Lots of sharing of snacks, frequent free lunches. Frequent trips to headquarters in Buffalo, NY.
Pros
Online training programs
Cons
Long hours, poor systems, limited possibilities for promotion and adavancement, inaccesable management.
Good company
Fraud Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 31, 2016
Had an internship over the summer. It was a great experience with a great group of people. Coworkers are willing to help in any way they can.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, great people
Cons
Desk job
Great experience designing an App
User Interface and Graphic Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 30, 2016
Snow Angels was a prototype App development project I worked with in M&T. A typical week was communicating with the developers and making sure we are on the same page. Me and my partner was involved in the user interface and user experience part of the App.
Consistent and Reliable
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 30, 2016
M&T is a very culture based organization. They stick to their values as a traditional bank. Co-workers are very nice and the C-suite level is incredibly intelligent. While work/life balance is there, but compensation is less than other competitors.
Great place
Secretary ll (Current Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAMay 26, 2016
it is all in all a great place to work but now time to branch out and see what else is out there to give me more knowledge and enhance my career path
Productive place to work--it's about the people
Commercial Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 23, 2016
M&T Bank is a good solid bank to work for. The work environment is good and people are the best part of the bank. Everyone works well together.
Pros
Good people
Cons
no advancement
Mtb bank
Consumer Asset Management (Current Employee) –  GettzvileMay 23, 2016
I can honestly say I love my career here at Mtb we are a close team and our goal is to prevent as many charge offs a possible. I take 50 to 100 calls a day with an 80 percent success rate of the accts being paid off . Hardest part of my job is the customer who's hardship cannot be fixed with the options we have.
Pros
great outings when our goals are reachd flexable scheduling for emergencies
Cons
short breaks
great bank to work for
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Millsboro, DEMay 22, 2016
i been working there for a few years now, M&T is a good company to work for. It has many great benefits and they look out for there employees. I like that they are a local corporate bank.
Efficient and knowledgable place to grow
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 19, 2016
The best part about my job is that my job is not widget-based. I'm constantly learning new processes and transactions. I like to be challenged with my jobs to keep my interest. The people that I work with (both co-workers and management) are fantastic and know what it takes to work on a team. I believe that the hardest part about my job would be to know when and what to delegate work appropriately. It's easy to get caught up with a transaction and want to take on more work than you can handle.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
If you align yourself right you'll go far
Teller (Former Employee) –  New York StateMay 18, 2016
If you're one of the favorites, they'll push you through as fast as you can go. If you're not then you'll be a bit of an outcast.
The most "fun" job I ever had
Consumer Loan Officer II (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYMay 18, 2016
There were no "typical" days at M & T. The bank was in the middle of the financial meltdown and I was brought in to help them dispose of their foreclosed properties. We were in uncharted waters and that what made things so exciting.

I take great pride in the fact that I was made an Officer at the bank in less than 1 year. I was told this was one of the fastest promotions ever.
Pros
New challenge every day
Cons
Buffalo NY is not New York City
Managed a Bank Branch
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  North Salem, NYMay 15, 2016
Managed a Bank branch and several employees. I learned about underwriting loans. The hardest part of the job was managing the tellers who were late and sometimes didn't prove their draws at the end of the day.
Pros
Managing a Bank Branch
Cons
The bank was sometimes very slow because it was in a rural area.
Laid back
Assisting in publication (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 13, 2016
Great place to be employed, there is never anyone hovering over you to get the job done. You know you responsibilities and you perform them in a timely manner.
Telephone Banking
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Millsboro, DEMay 10, 2016
You are required to assist as many customers as possible and meet all the state requirements during the day. There is a lot of initial information to learn, but once you get the hang of it, things start to come more naturally.
Amazing Management
Early Stage Credit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DE 19966May 9, 2016
Enjoyed every single day working at this place, management was completely amazing on how the go about certain things, just a lot of favoritism from the supervisors. Called various amount of customers a day in order to make payment arrangements. Even including collection calls 30+ day past due. I love every part of this job, it made me the person i am today, wouldnt know half the stuff i do now, if it werent for that company.
Pros
Christmas Bonuses
Cons
Management Playing Favorites
Competitive wages
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 3, 2016
A conservative company with systemized practices that embraces a very traditional banking culture. Knowledgeable employees with many years of experience.
Steady employer in a not so stable work environment
Quality Assurance Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 25, 2016
My review will be somewhat vague as one can figure out who I am based on specifics.

You can guess how your day is going to be based on the previous day. You know your hours to work and you'll rarely be surprised beyond the typical firefighting that's necessary in this job.

The management and job culture style is outdated and reminds you of what you'd expect in the 50's and 60's but with computers present. It's easy to get used to albeit somewhat odd to experience for the first time.

I enjoyed working there as I had piece of mind that I would have a job. The hardest part of the job was conforming to the rigidity of the "you work from 9-5 no matter what" culture.
Pros
Stability, pay
Cons
Advancement is based on network, more strict culture than other companies
productive work place with a big team
Test Coordinator/ Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 25, 2016
typical day at work is to have scrum meetings work with BA's & developers. Execute test cases find defects log defects track defects regression functional integration testing working with business team analyzing & writing requirements
Pros
good work environment
Cons
no cons
loved working with the public and helping people
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Tamaqua, PAApril 22, 2016
Helping people and customers with there banking needs and meeting new people. A friendly atmosphere and working environment. I also liked the day shift . Occasionally Saturday work.
Pros
nice people, good hours, good pay
No longer a fit
BSA Compliance Analyst II, EDD Investigations, (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 21, 2016
I feel the direction and focus of the Compliance area within my institution has changed, yet the importance of my work and work ethic has not. Therefore, I have much to contribute to the right establishment and am looking forward to doing so. I feel I make a great asset and my 17 year tenure and loyalty with the same company verifies that.
A typical day at work includes working cases, investigating the customer and all surrounding parties associated with that TIN. We extract documents from various bank systems, examine transactions, and research any and all details to ensure there is no suspicious activity occurring. When necessary, we reach out to the lines of business for verification and updated information.
I have learned much about many types of entities, accounts, KYC profiles, controlling parties, UBO's, systems and updates etc.
I do have a wonderful team and work with my colleagues well. For the most part, our work is handled individually but we often brainstorm together and help one-another through one-off situations.
The hardest part of the job is the high production expectations while taking the time to maintain a true and accurate investigation.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing we are protecting the bank and our customers.
Pros
Good pay, vacation and benefits