M&T Bank

M&T Bank United States Employee Reviews

Great place to work with friendly management
BSA Compliance Associate (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYDecember 4, 2014
Analyzed bank accounts to determine fraudulent and illegal activities. Learned specific programs related to the banking industry along with mainframe based programs.
Job Security is great!
Teller I (Former Employee), Clear Spring, MDDecember 2, 2014
Enjoyed working with the customers! Great area of people to work with. I learned a lot in the banking front end of industry. Most co- workers were easy to work for/with.
Customer focused workplace
Full-time Teller (Former Employee), Enola, PANovember 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits/raises
Cons: management was more concerned with after work plans than issues we had
I enjoyed working here and helping customers with their daily banking transactions. I liked being able to direct a customer to our investment banker for various opportunities and to our customer service reps for any further needs they may require. I processed deposits, cashed checks and processed loan payments. I also balanced a cash drawer twice daily and the ATM machine once daily. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and we enjoyed wondering what customer would be in on any given day and what story they may have for us. The hardest part of the job was the cold call sales and the best part was working with money and customers every day.
SQL Server/BI Developer (SSIS/SSRS)
BI Developer (SSIS/SSRS) (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 26, 2014
● 8 years of Information Technology development experience on Database Design and Development in SQL server 2012/2008R2/2008/2005/2000 system in OLTP and OLAP environment in various industries like Finance, Insurance and Health Care.
● A motivated, highly organized individual and enthusiastic team player with excellent communication, analytical and problem solving skills.
● Has in-depth knowledge of Transact-SQL (Data Definition Language, Data Manipulation language)
● Creates tables, views, user defined functions, cursors, derived tables, common table expressions (CTEs) and Triggers to facilitate efficient data manipulation and data consistency
● Dealt extensively with Relational Database Management Systems, including E/R Diagrams, Normalization, Constraints, Querying, Joins, Keys, Data Import/Export
● Wrote sub-query, correlated sub-query, complex Stored Procedures and ad-hoc TSQL statements
● Encapsulated Ad-hoc TSQL statements into Store Procedures for Optimization
● Wrote ad-hoc queries utilizing Dynamic SQL and SQLCMD command line utility
● Created and maintained Cluster Index and Non Cluster Index
● Implemented ETL Packages using DTS and SSIS 2012/2008R2/2008/2005/2000, creating SSIS,DTS packages for large data transfers between MS-SQL Servers and automating using SQL jobs
● Implemented all transformations available on the SSIS toolbox.
● Created master and child packages, package configurations and logging
● Used variables and expressions in packages
● Extracted, transformed, and loaded data (ETL) between Homogenous and Heterogeneous System using SQL tools (SSIS, DTS, – more... Bulk Insert, BCP, and XML)
● Created Jobs, Alerts, SQL Mail Agent, and schedule DTS/SSIS Packages
● Generated reports using MS Reporting Services 2012/2008R2/2008/2005/2000
● Configured report server and report manager scheduling, gave permissions to different level of users in SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
● Generated on-demand and scheduled reports for business analysis or management decisions using SQL Server Reporting Services
● Possesses excellent technical and analytical skills with a clear understanding of data architecture, metadata, design goals of ER modeling for OLTP and dimension modeling for OLAP
● Designed, created and processes cubes using SSAS
● Calculated measures and dimension members using multi-dimensional expression (MDX), mathematical formulas, and user-defined functions
● Designed aggregations and pre-calculates using SSAS.
● Created groups and measures, KPIs
● Scheduled and deployed reports, and uploaded files to a report server catalog from the report manager
● Designed and implemented relational database model as per business needs
● Analyzed, designed, developed, tested and implemented systems following the SDLC – less
great coworkers
Early Stage Credit Counselor I (Current Employee), Millsboro, DENovember 24, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: micro managed mandatory overtime
I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here unless you really need a job. Management is poor and they all stick together when reps have complaints concerning the job they don't really have your best interests. Best thing about the job is over time is always available but however it's sometime mandatory!!! I love the free lunches that we get at times. We also have extended work shift to do on two Fridays at the end of the month. The job is stressful they are continuously adding things to do everyday things are always changing and never consistent. Not to mention your micro managed by supervisors they are consistently watching you.
Oracle PL/SQL Developer (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 19, 2014
This is one of the company where we can learn many productive things. Environment was very friendly and supportive.
RELATIONSHIP BANKER (Current Employee), Towson mdNovember 18, 2014
The job was a great job to work i learn a lot about banking. The employees helped with everything if you don't know what to do. The fear of being robbed was there but they try their best to make it safe
productive and fun workplace
Credit Counselor (Former Employee), Millsboro, DENovember 16, 2014
I really enjoyed the people I worked with and was a very good place to work. I personally just didn't like the actual job of calling people and collecting money on a daily basis. I would work for the company again just with a different position. The most enjoyable part to me was the experience I got and the management and co workers. The hardest part was trying to get a customer to make a payment.
M&T isnt all that
Relationship Banker (Former Employee), RocklandNovember 15, 2014
Pros: health, dental, vision
Cons: college education program
M&T Bank: This review pertains to - Rockland, Westchester branches; bank has no marketing in one of the most important markets in the world (NYC), they still do paper ads that no one reads and AM radio ads that no one listens to, not one person i talk to knows M&T bank or ever want to bank with them because 1. 10 years too late on Modern ATM, outdated Online Banking /bill payment (still sucks), Call back office for every dam thing, cuz the systems never work the way you want it to, commission on sales sucks, unless you are in a busy branch (like buffalo - cuz its only M&T bank there) and makes high amount of sales, branches are outdated, systems are outdated, managers are too busy replying to emails, every branch needs to know everyone business, worst branch locations, even the branch schedules needs to be emailed to operations manager, branch traffic is really really really low and you spend 70% of the day profiling clients and cold calling. They claim M&T bank has the lowest employee turnover, but that's the bank as a whole, this region probable has the worst turnover in my 10 year banking career. Management never listens what you have to say, its always their way or no way... and If you love being MICRO MANAGED THIS IS THE PERFECT PLACE FOR YOU!!!
Great place to work!!!
Teller Manager (Former Employee), Wilmington, DENovember 11, 2014
M&T is a great pace to work. Great work life balance, excellent pay, and lots of opportunity to excel within.
A lot of rules and regulations
Retail Banker (Former Employee), Millsboro, DENovember 9, 2014
Very flexible, but no room for growth. Management did not listen to employees, and too much changing rules and regulations
Company is all about cutting staff, reducing expenses, and not providing support to meet goals
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Wilkes Barre PANovember 5, 2014
M&T utilizes outdated banking software from the 1980's (if you love DOS, you'll love M&T), and outmoded processes. Management is out of touch with reality and not interested in understanding why they are consistently losing market share. Loan underwriting is a long, slow and tedious process.

They are fixated on mergers to grow business every year, but have not been able to make this last merger with Hudson City happen for two years now due to regulators questioning their AML/BSA procedures. This has led to cutbacks and branch closures to pay for it.

They talk about customer service, but only pay lip service to it. Management does not care about acknowledging exceptional customer service scores. They are more interested in migrating customers to the ATM to cutback on teller transactions.

The best part of the job though has been my coworkers, who are great people to work with.
Okay if you just want a job
Lending Specialist I (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 3, 2014
It is a good place to get your foot in the door, but advancement becomes hard once you make more than about $28,000.00 and there is a lot of nepotism, which leads to under qualified management. M&T wants a lot of experience but for little pay. The average employee (non-management) will probably peak at about $34,000.00 and will be told that they are "pretty high up there."

However, if you are just looking for a 9 to 5 and a paycheck with little to no career advancement, it's a good place to work. If you are looking to have an actual career, it's good for the experience, but you will struggle to make a decent wage and career. The benefits are mediocre at best.
No Day is never the same
Relationship Banker/Small Business Specialist (Current Employee), Clinton, MDNovember 3, 2014
Pros: job security, gain a wealth of knowledge in banking
Cons: only a lunch break, highly stressful
The new banking industry is stressful it's more about selling then actual banking. No one day is never the same because of the customers you interact with on a daily. Highly knowledgeable job. Have to know what your doing and eager to learn. Room for growth in the industry. Under staffed most of the time with the new ways of banking.
Great Place to work
Business and Planning Analyst II Group Leader (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 3, 2014
M & T bank is a great place to work. The managers are really focused on helping you succeed.
Company is very good to work for.
Trust Transaction Clerk II (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 3, 2014
Worked with government bond. On a daily basis I did accounting General Ledgers and auditing the bonds.
Not the best experience
Banking Specialist (Former Employee), Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 31, 2014
Very different than any other experience in banking.
very little growth at the time from within
Many responsibilities, overall nice place to work
Enhanced Due Diligence Investigator (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYOctober 31, 2014
Many responsibilities, overall nice place to work, good pay, management is fair.
Great Co-workers ans place to work
Operations and Risk Management (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYOctober 30, 2014
I really enjoyed working at M&T. For me it was a temp position and everyone was very supportive and friendly.
Great Company within itself
Teller (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYOctober 30, 2014
The branch that I worked at was very prejudice towards me and made me feel like an outcast on a daily basis.

About M&T Bank

M&T Bank is considered one of the country's most highly regarded regional banks. We were founded more than 150 years ago in – Read more

M&T Bank Salaries