M-I SWACO

M-I SWACO Employee Reviews

Field Technician
Field Technician/Shop Hand (Former Employee), Scott, LAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: none.
Cons: management, low pay, limited time at home.
This is for the Scott, LA office. I would give management ZERO stars if it would let me. They are THE most unprofessional company I have ever worked for. When members of management do not get what they want, they use vulgarity, verbal abuse, and bullying tactics. They do not care about their employees.
Productive and a fun place to work
Quality Engineer - SulfaTreat (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 11, 2015
With my time at MI Swaco I enjoyed my time at the company. I learned how to work with H2S and other hazardous chemicals. My co-workers were really great. Not a bad word to say
Job was an interim position, but still enjoyable.
Project Engineer / Technical Sales (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 1, 2015
Pros: steady work environment did not require a lot of late evenings of weekends.
Cons: at times required to go offshore which was not an issue, just not given much notice.
Basically the day was a standard 5 day work week with normal working hours. Learning was an experience as I had to become familiar with tools I had not used and had to learn how to apply them.

Management was good in assisting with training and support during the learning curve. Co-workers as well aided in the learning process.

Hardest part of the job was in not always having enough details to complete the tool designs for the job. Had to improvise and allow for contingencies when all the information was not made available.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when operations reported it was a success!
Worked as an area manager
OPERATIONS MANAGER-ARIZONA (Former Employee), Peoria, AZMarch 1, 2015
Pros: was my own boss
Cons: long hours and lots of miles dirven
I ran the show, delivered product to customers, engineered drilling projects, made sales calls.
I had Arizona, California and New Mexico as my district, so there were a lot of miles driven between rigs.
I engineered Core Rigs, HDD Rigs and Water Well rigs.
If only the management cares
Drilling Fluids Engineer (Current Employee), Shafter, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: 401k
Cons: lack of care from management
- Working 2 week on 2 weeks off. It can be challenging sometimes specially if working out of state and work schedule gets longer. 24 hour on call tour is normal and you get stuck on location for 2 weeks minimum.
- Management does not care as long as you are making money for the company. Sink or swim is the Mantra of the company.
- A lot of good guys that I work with end up quitting after the expiration of the 3 year contract due to lack of care from management.
- Jumping from drilling rig to the next is typical. Work can be easy as long as the office provides you with the right tools and guidelines or "well plan".
Good company to work for
Office Manager (Current Employee), Chesterfield, MOFebruary 6, 2015
Good company to work for, great benefits and 401K Match. Many changes with the merger with Schlumberger but our division has adapted to them as best we can.
medium level of job
Mud Engineer (Former Employee), RussiaFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: a lot amount of professional courses
Cons: irresponsibility of company about its employees
- testing a drilling fluid to times per day minimum, writing a instruction for making a new volume of mad, adding a chemical reagents for holding properties of mad, seeking a resolving if any problem appears.
- the hardest part - long time of job, it can be 8 months per year.
A truly great company.
Sr. Manager of Marketing Communications (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2015
See previous comments. It was a great organization filled with great people.
Productive workplace with very good management
Account Manager (Former Employee), Midland, TXJanuary 6, 2014
I loved working in the production chemical field and had very good co-workers and management. And I learned a lot of new attributes working with and around chemicals. The company also took very good care of me with all the benefits and I got really sick back in Jan 2013 and they worked with me until I was healthy and able to go back to work!
Okay place to work
Sales Engineer/representative (Former Employee), Lafayette, LAJune 4, 2013
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: away from home for 2-3 weeks at a time
Not the schedule I was looking for. A two week on and two week off type of schedule.
Productive and fun place to work.
Project Management, Development Engineer (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 20, 2013
Pros: nice people to work with and lots to learn.
Cons: lots of travel.
Lead project teams to evaluate and qualify new products within the Environmental Solutions Applied Research department for further development within the company.
Generat and present project reports to provide feedback and recommendations on new products bases on the compiled results from both laboratory and field test.
Work with the oilfield water management department to develop and test water treatment technologies both in the laboratory and field setting to disinfect and clarify recycled waters.
Work with field operations to develop and test drilling waste treatment technologies to manage the waste produced during drilling operations.
Long days chasing hours and working on equipment.
Shop/Field Service Techician (Current Employee), Chickasha, OKDecember 28, 2012
Pros: free lunch, high pay and hours
Cons: no room to advance and no moral amog co-workers
Typical day was to come into shop and work on equipment, or deliver parts to rig locations. I learned a lot about PLC's, electronics, three phase motors, and mechanical rental equipment. Management was pretty laid back as long as you did your job but started screaming when orders when everybody fell behind. Co-workers were burnt out in there professions. The hardest part of the job was troubleshooting the electrical side of the equipment due to lack of understanding. Most enjoyable part was learning and applying what you knew.
Secretary
General Office Assistant (Former Employee), Zavalla, TXSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: enviromental learning
Cons: sometimes overwhelming
Answered phones, relayed messages to management, kept inventory of product, billed out trucks, did weekly payroll, did month end reports and worked on setting up compliances for OSHA.
Fair
Driver (Former Employee), Wamsutter, WYJuly 6, 2012
I enjoyed this job but the manager at the time was a serious safety hazard. I understand it has improved since I left and I would go back if i could.
work place in drilling fluid
Sr. Chemist (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 11, 2012
a very good place to work as long as you do a very good job and expect no major advancements in return
Experienced people, but boring work
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee), Aberdeen, SCTApril 14, 2012
During my time here, i found myself working alongside a very experienced team of people - however the standard of work was very basic and repetitive, and did not really challenge me much.
Great campus
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), HoustonDecember 7, 2011
Their main office is a great place to work. There is a lot of opportunity for personal advancement through training and education. They support professional growth.

About M-I SWACO

M-I, known as M-I SWACO, supplies drilling and completion fluids and additives to oil and gas companies in more than 75 countries – Read more

M-I SWACO Salaries