M-I SWACO Employee Reviews

Fun and Educational Experience
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Liberty, TXFebruary 23, 2017
Company is perfect for someone looking to learn the fastners or steel building manufacturing industry.

Only issue that would come up is how much the company relied solely on the current outside sales reps.
Family environment
Deepwater Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasFebruary 4, 2017
Great company with a family oriented environment until Schlumberger took over. This company will slowly find their selves at the back of the bus
Poor communication and no relationship with your supervisor
Compliance Specialist/Drilling Fluids Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 29, 2016
The pay was competitive, but employees were not treated with much respect and more as another number. Little to no communication or answers from supervisors.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Poor work/life balance, little communication
I worked for MI Swaco for 18 years.
Senior Drilling Fluids Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 27, 2016
I worked for MI Swaco for 18 years. I did a good job for them. I received excellent training and experience. I worked for good managers and worked in Nigeria as a Project Engineer.
Pros
Great training and experience.
Cons
Down turn.
Great Summer Job
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 17, 2016
This was a summer job for me and I loved it. I was part time so I only worked a couple hours a day, 5 times a week. I did a lot of organizing, making labels and filing. My co-workers and managers were great and worked with me when I needed help. I enjoyed working here because of the people and the environment.
Opportunity
Field Service Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2016
Enable me to maintain a positive focus on life no matter what was going on around me. To venture out and achieve all goals that was set forth in management, sales, and operations.
Worked there for 12 years and if not for reduction in force, would still be there
Supply Chain Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 5, 2016
Safety oriented company, Safety review began each days work. Training was always available limited only by the individual. Management was always professional. Hardest part of the job was as the industry declined, watching good people lose their lively hood. Always having new challenges.
Pros
Financial rewards
Cons
Down turns in the industry
Global company with small town personality.
Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYFebruary 27, 2016
Relaxed yet professional working environment.
Coworkers function as a team to meet goals and objectives. Engagement with peers and coworkers creates a sense of belonging and support.
Management is focused on results while always considering and respecting the individual staff member work / life balance.
Fast Paced Position
Order Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for M-I Swaco. The work was very satisfying because it challenged me to complete a number of different tasks each day.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
Too many changes and layoffs after Schulumberger took over
Good enviroment, gym and cafeteria vendor options
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 17, 2015
Good company, worked there for a long time. After acquisition though, some work processes became more cumbersome (such as buying office supplies, reconciliating credit cards, etc.) Some functions became easier though, like keeping track of vacation hours and vacation requests. It used to feel like family when I first started, later after management change the environment did too. Each department is different, though.
Pros
Meals on site some days, and gym on site
Cons
Not proper employee evaluation or productivity measures in place
Global Facilities Engineer
Global Facilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYDecember 3, 2015
I loved being a project manager for the company. They allowed me to bring my experience in operations into the designs of the facilities we were creating.
Pros
Freedom in Creativity
Cons
Cyclic oil field business trends
Senior Fluids Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAAugust 25, 2015
Miswaco is a great company to work for until you get 20 years with the company. Then you had better watch out. They have a plan that once you get 20 years in they give you a watch and then show you the door. They do keep a few people over 60 years old show they do not discriminate against old employees.
Overall great company
Drilling Fluids Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 18, 2015
Only reason I left was because Schlumberger cam and bought us out and everything started to change. I enjoyed working for them and learned a lot.
Excellent place to work
Technical Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 2, 2015
M-I SWACO was an excellent place to work. They were purchased by a much bigger corporate company. The purchasing company was not a desirable company to work for.
Field Technician
Field Technician/Shop Hand (Former Employee) –  Scott, LAMarch 15, 2015
This is for the Scott, LA office. I would give management ZERO stars if it would let me. They are THE most unprofessional company I have ever worked for. When members of management do not get what they want, they use vulgarity, verbal abuse, and bullying tactics. They do not care about their employees.
Pros
None.
Cons
Management, low pay, limited time at home.
Productive and a fun place to work
Quality Engineer - SulfaTreat (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 11, 2015
With my time at MI Swaco I enjoyed my time at the company. I learned how to work with H2S and other hazardous chemicals. My co-workers were really great. Not a bad word to say
Job was an interim position, but still enjoyable.
Project Engineer / Technical Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2015
Basically the day was a standard 5 day work week with normal working hours. Learning was an experience as I had to become familiar with tools I had not used and had to learn how to apply them.

Management was good in assisting with training and support during the learning curve. Co-workers as well aided in the learning process.

Hardest part of the job was in not always having enough details to complete the tool designs for the job. Had to improvise and allow for contingencies when all the information was not made available.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when operations reported it was a success!
Pros
Steady work environment did not require a lot of late evenings of weekends.
Cons
At times required to go offshore which was not an issue, just not given much notice.
Worked as an area manager
OPERATIONS MANAGER-ARIZONA (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMarch 1, 2015
I ran the show, delivered product to customers, engineered drilling projects, made sales calls.
I had Arizona, California and New Mexico as my district, so there were a lot of miles driven between rigs.
I engineered Core Rigs, HDD Rigs and Water Well rigs.
Pros
Was my own boss
Cons
Long hours and lots of miles dirven
If only the management cares
Drilling Fluids Engineer (Current Employee) –  Shafter, CAFebruary 23, 2015
- Working 2 week on 2 weeks off. It can be challenging sometimes specially if working out of state and work schedule gets longer. 24 hour on call tour is normal and you get stuck on location for 2 weeks minimum.
- Management does not care as long as you are making money for the company. Sink or swim is the Mantra of the company.
- A lot of good guys that I work with end up quitting after the expiration of the 3 year contract due to lack of care from management.
- Jumping from drilling rig to the next is typical. Work can be easy as long as the office provides you with the right tools and guidelines or "well plan".
Pros
401K
Cons
Lack of care from management
Good company to work for
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOFebruary 6, 2015
Good company to work for, great benefits and 401K Match. Many changes with the merger with Schlumberger but our division has adapted to them as best we can.