M.D. ANDERSON CANCER CENTER Employee Reviews

World Class Cancer Center that I was proud to be a part of
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2017
M.D.Anderson is a huge cancer center with a BIG heart. Very caring employees and volunteers. I enjoyed being a part of a place that is making a difference in this country and the world. We had patients from all over the world. Excellent teaching hospital using cutting-edge care.
Pros
Hospital emphasizes patient care and family comfort.
Cons
commuting to Texas Medical Center
professional workplace
Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2017
MD Anderson is a place where you can stay in one spot for the years you stay or you can go to school with the generous tuition reimbursement program that is offered. The benefits are generous in comparison to many other places.
Lead Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  HOUSTON TEXASJuly 12, 2017
A typical day at work is being a team player. Always new things to learn. Management was great and always encouraging you to do more, ie education. With 27 years of working at MDACC, my best time out weigh my bad times.
Admnistrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2017
MD Anderson is Great Place to work. the diversity of employees makes it very interesting. There are many opportunities to reach your goals. The benefits are GREAT!
Benefits
Cons
parking
High Level Of Corporate Mismanagement
MEDICAL TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  CytopathologyJune 29, 2017
Very stressful environment to work in, particularly the last 6 months of my employment there. MD Anderson devolved from environment focused largely on patient care, to one focused on monetizing patient care. This was an unwelcome change that changed the entire culture of that workplace.
Ok
Clinical Studies Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2017
Not a bad place to work...the patients make it all worth it. Hard to advance...easy to make lateral moves. The pay does not equal the workload. But not the worse place to work.
Productive and caring workplace.
Grant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2017
A wonderful place to work! The institution believes in respecting and caring for employees, patients, patient's families and caregivers. MDACC believes in diversity.
The Dream Job
Legal Extern for Holly Rumbaugh, J.D (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2017
A typical day at MDA consists of researching cases, and putting out fires across the hospital. I learned a lot about Health Law and hospital operations. The management is structured, but your tasks can be somewhat disorganized depending on what is needed that day. Workplace culture is consistent with other in-house corporate counsel jobs. The hardest part of the job is reconciling the differences between stubborn doctors and frugal administration staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a field where you feel like you're making an important difference to patients' lives.
Pros
Corporate perks
Cons
Upward mobility is slim
Executive Office Suites
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2017
Busy work environment, handling of all day to day operations for 2 professors and 1 director, from traveling calendar to clinic schedules, handling of budget, payroll, check requests and phone calls daily. The culture of this state of the art cancer institute is nurturing and busy. I learned to have better control of my daily priorities and to always make myself available for the patients and needs of my superiors. Management made themselves to always give your needs attention.
Pros
Team Work oriented institution
Cons
Budget restraints
DI Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 16, 2017
• Oversees patient care coordination with designated area to include managing communications and coordinating information flow and serving as liaison between DI and clinics/ancillary areas.
• Interprets and coordinates physicians’ orders to schedule diagnostic tests.
• Communicates with clinical staff and other team members to perform add-on scheduling, callbacks, reschedules and emergencies. Schedule/Reschedule patient’s appointments into EPIC.
Interesting place to work.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2017
The job is rewarding. At times it can be stressful. Most of the time staff is shorthanded. Every employee is so helpful and friendly and patients are very nice. Sometimes the patients make you feel better than you can make them feel.
Pros
Benefits are very competitive.
Cons
Will often work shorthanded.
Highly reputable place to work
Registered Medical Assistant - Data (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2017
Typically, I would clock in on my computer, grab my assignment for my shift, and start work right away usually in a self-managed or minimally supervised setting. I learned how to work on the Epic emr system and exposure to the cancer market. task and goal oriented workplace culture. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting all my goals that were set at the beginning of each day met by the end of each shift.
Nice Environment
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 13, 2016
M.D. Anderson is a great placed to work. If you take care of your responsibilities and do your job everything is ok.The environment is very calm. Rated number one cancer center in the world.
Good company culture, but limited movment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Smithville, TXFebruary 26, 2016
M.D. Anderson is a good place to work, they pay is good and so are the benefits. There are a lot of politics involved working in a field like this however, so it can be stressful sometimes.
productive place to work
Patient Escort (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2015
I learned great customer service skills. The skills that I attained can be taken anywhere in my future. The management was awesome, and there was also ways to advance throughout the hospital.
Great organization to work for
Financial Analyst internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2015
Management have strong support for prompt hard workers.
Numerous of learning opportunities and growth
Team workers and wants to get job done well
The hardest part of the job
Phlebotomy Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2014
I have a passion for people. I enjoy meeting new people and helping them anyway that I can, but the bad part of that was I felt like I was put in a position to hard when/if something happened to them.
Pros
Good pay, Loved my job
Cons
Did not have a con
An pleasant friendly place to work
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2014
Very friendly and diverse place to work. Work is dependent on everyone doing their part. Managementt is not always are open or helpful. But the difference makes-up for the co-workers teamwork. Management don't regard the employees ideas and suggestions to make the work flow easier. Our feedback should have been more important to upper and Departmental Management. The most rewarding part of the Job is knowing you are making a difference in many people lives that have the success stories of beating cancer in their lives and family members..
Pros
discounts for employees, fitness center
Cons
Short breaks, expectation to not take your lunch because of deadlines.
Great first Job
Gastrointestinal Research Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2014
This place was a great experience for my first job out of college. They give out yearly bonuses and are willing to help you move up. Additionally they paid for part of my education.
good benefits
Building Attendant 1 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2014
i was a building attendant/ housekeeper and it was not for me, need a strong stomach
benefits
Cons
low pay