Job Title: Web Application Programmer
Job Status: Full-time (40 hrs/wk), with benefits
Company: Mesoscale Environmental Simulations and Operations (MESO), Inc. (http://www.meso.com)
Location: This position will be located at MESO headquarters, which is in New York's Capital Region at the Rensselaer Technology Park (http://www.rpitechpark.com), Troy, NY.
The web application programmer will play a key role in developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting web-based applications primarily used by our clients for the visualization of frequently updated scientific data. This person will also be responsible for planning and executing a modernization strategy for existing web-based applications and databases.
We are seeking a detail-oriented self-starter with a background in scientific and web-based programming, as well as database management. Desirable characteristics include the ability to work independently upon receiving direction and develop innovative solutions to complex problems. The ideal candidate will be someone who can grow with the company and demonstrate leadership qualities in expanding our web-based application capabilities and expertise.
Specific responsibilities of this position include:
- Designing and maintaining databases for storing large amounts of scientific data
- Setting up and maintaining automated transfers of scientific data between internally generated processes and databases
- Creating customized web-based graphical user interfaces for visualizing and interacting with scientific data stored in databases
- Developing and maintaining software to perform complex operations on scientific data stored in databases
- Associate’s degree or higher in a scientific or technical field, such as physical or computer science, or information technology, AND 5+ years of on-the-job experience in computer programming
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a scientific or technical field, such as physical or computer science, or information technology, AND 2+ years of on-the-job experience in computer programming
- Experience using and managing open-source relational database management systems, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Experience working in Unix/Linux and Windows environments
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Strong analytical, programming, and problem solving skills
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. (without sponsorship)
- Experience creating images with GD
- Experience developing, testing, and maintaining interactive web-based applications intended for visualizing data stored in databases
- Experience programming in Java, Fortran, C/C++, or other high-level languages
- Experience with XML-based web service protocols, such as SOAP
- Experience implementing website security solutions
- Knowledge of meteorology, environmental science, or the renewable energy industry
Compensation: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications.
Benefits: MESO offers a very competitive benefits package, including:
- Fully paid company health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- 401(k) plan with company contribution after one year of employment
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick days
Company: For almost three decades, MESO has been developing and applying dynamical and statistical geophysical models for government and commercial clients. One of MESO’s specialties is the application of these technologies to assist with the integration of wind and solar power production into electrical grids. MESO also is a partner in three joint ventures: with AWS Truepower, of Albany, NY (www.awstruepower.com) for renewable energy applications, ZedX of Bellefonte, PA (www.zedxinc.com), for recreational and agricultural products marketed through SkyBit (www.skybit.com), and Meteosim of Barcelona, Spain (www.meteosim.com) for marketing meteorological services in Europe and South America. We provide the flexibility, vision and freedom of working in a small company with the benefits and stability of a larger organization.
Instructions: When responding about this position, please include resume, cover letter, and salary requirements.