MIT Broad Institute Employee Reviews

no comments
Research Associate III (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 25, 2016
growing too fast and too, and the PI's ego are as big as the universe...

However, there are several positive things related with this institution. such as benefits and the income...
Simply awesome!
Bioinformatics & Technology Development (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 18, 2016
One of the most unique and amazing scientific environments you will ever find. The people are wonderful, the scientific rigor is unparalleled.
Fun place to do learn and work in cutting-edge research
Bio-Automation Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 24, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is to learn new things - science, tools, technologies and feel that the work is meaningful. The close collaboration with MIT and Harvard-affiliated hospitals mean access to some amazing people and resources. Over time, the organization has got bigger and there may be less interactions among different locations. The work culture is fairly casual yet the nature of work is serious.
Pros
Close proximity to Kendall
Cons
Slow decision-making process
Great place for intellectual development
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 31, 2015
While working at the Broad Institute I was really able to see how amazing the culture of intellectual discovery is at the Broad. Junior researchers are highly encouraged to discover more about the other projects happening at the Broad and frequent guest presentations are truly a valuable experience for a developing researcher. For the truly motivated the Broad is an ideal research environment!
Pros
Amazing Science, new facilities, access to brilliant researchers
Cons
very insular culture in some departments
Great learning experience
Process Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 10, 2015
I have a great memory with Broad Institute. It was such a great place to work at. Everything was amazing about that company. From management to co workers to work environment was great.
My typical day at work was very busy but amazing. My daily routine was to
accept work request and work on them.
Check the quality of the samples.
Extraction of GTEX frozen and fresh tissues
Extraction of blood, stool, Buffy coats, saliva, cell lines, cell pellets etc.
Upload the results of the samples and extraction in the data bases.
Contact collaborates, contractors, PM and meet them
Phone conference and meetings
presentations
daily meetings
Training new employees etc
Pros
amazing people to work with
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 3, 2014
I truly enjoyed my time at the Broad. Would recommend anyone to apply.
childish
Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 24, 2014
Fun bunch to work with but it depends in what department you are working with,
Pros
location
Cons
not honest
One of the Top Institutions in the World for Genomics Research
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 24, 2014
Great Institution with lot of investment in advancing genomics research. Very good place to work. Lot of learning opportunities.
Compensation is sub-par
o Senior Research Associate I - Work (Current Employee) –  Cambridge MAFebruary 7, 2014
It's fine. The work culture is nice, but career advancement and salaries are not competitive.
Excellent work environment
Manager, Research Informatics and Support Services (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 24, 2014
Great creative environment, no drama just hard working, down to earth folks who want to do their best work.
Great place for Learning!
Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 2, 2014
Overall, my experience at the Broad has been positive. I like how you are always encourage and engage in the cutting edge science research. There is always something new to learn because of the many Scientific talks occurring however this is available if you have some down time.
Its fun,challenging and highly rewarding
Logistics Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 14, 2013
A typical supply chain role that requires managing the flow of materials and information from vendors to end users. Ensuring proper inventory control and managing supply risk. Engaging and interacting with people with diverse cultural background is both challenging and fun. Creativity and Initiatives are recognized rewarded.
excellent atmosphere
Visiting Collaborator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 29, 2013
The Broad institute has done an amazing job at creating a good atmosphere for scientists to discuss and communicate ideas. There are very nice chairs on every floor, as well as white boards in multiple locations. On many of my visits, I witnessed many scientists discussing cutting edge research in the common areas. The staff and management were very friendly and created a good sense of community. The hardest part of the job was commuting from Newton to Lowell for school during the day and commuting to Cambridge at the end of the day to conduct experiments, then commuting back to Lowell to drop off scientific supplies before going home. The most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of community and togetherness that the Institute prides itself on. The Institute is also home to some of the most advanced machinery and equipment known to mankind and it instills a sense of awe at the sheer magnitude of the intelligence that went into creating everything that is in there.
Filed Important documents
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 23, 2013
First thing I do is say hello to everyone, and go to my supervisors office. I have my daily chat with her about what I'm going to do. I get a pile of papers to file in the filing room. After i make benefit packets or make orientation packets. Later I file more. I learned how to take a job more seriously. My supervisors are respectful and always willing to have a nice talk. My co-workers are always there when I need help. The hardest part of my day is the morning because that is when I get most of the work. The most enjoyable day is talking with my co-workers and supervisor.
Pros
The people
Cons
little or no breaks
Great to be part of something special
Security and Parking Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 13, 2012
The Broad is full of wonderful people and great new opportunities.
Pros
great benefits
The Broad is a great place to work. However, the management is sparse and career guidance is minimal.
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 1, 2012
The Broad Institute provides a very exciting environment. The large scale impossible aspects of the genomics challenges create daunting tasks with which the community thrives.

However, the ad hoc culture provides inconsistent leadership across the company. I found the hardest part of the job was the lack of management and directional leadership.
Poor training
AAAA (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 5, 2012
On boarding inconsistant. Job descriptions were far from the truth and recruiters were ill informed. Supervision was ineffective.
Pros
at the end of each day one was able to leave cambridge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MIT Broad Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2