MIT Lincoln Laboratory

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Exciting research and great work/life balance
Associate Staff (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAJanuary 19, 2016
I took this job so that I could continue doing real research after college, and I wasn't disappointed. The allowances for work/life balance are very generous so that I don't have to worry about working ridiculous hours or about needing to change my hours to accommodate family stuff or errands. Great people to work with who are happy to be there and are very smart and good at what they do.
Pros
Work/life balance, serious research and development, get to publish papers, very good job security
Cons
Not easy to move up or get big raises
Extremely interesting place to work.
In-house Corporate Photographer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAJanuary 13, 2016
As a photographer for the Lab, I had to wear many hats. Some days I was shooting out on location, other days I would be doing executive portraits. I loved it all, had a great boss and loved even going in on Mondays!
Pros
Doing what I love
Cons
Traffic on Rt 128
Great work/life balance
Associate Staff (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAFebruary 21, 2015
Great work atmosphere - offers flex hours and relaxed work environment. Collaborate with some of the most brilliant minds in the industry.
Pros
mit shuttle, work/life balance, flex hours
Cons
compensation
very political organization with bloated egos - Technical Staff review
Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAMay 9, 2015
I am a Ph.D. in engineering from a top-notch school and have several years of cutting edge experience in research and teaching as well as private industry in electronics and radar. I was a member of Technical Staff for 6 years in Group 34 and couldn't wait to get out. I now have my own start-up and am doing very well. Lincoln is good for people who can suck up to the bosses and not deviate from the agenda that is set by the managers. You have some scope for creative work but it heavily depends upon your manager and the Group and Division politics. The management as well as many technical folks I worked with have bloated egos and they feel that they are the best in the world, although in many cases, even among the senior-most technical folks, nobody outside knows them. Their annual evaluation is based on points system and you are rated against everyone in the lab including mathematicians, engineers, physicists and other scientists, all in one pool. Afer 3 years if you are not above certain threshold (which appears to be a moving average) you are either moved to another location, or if you are lucky, let go! The whole evaluation process is secretive and I found that lot of favoritism exists. Many mediocre people have risen up the ranks, and I found many such people to be arrogant and close-minded. If you are a senior scientist or engineer with many years of experience, and more importantly, if you want to do research and creative work, stay away! A place like Jet Propulsion Lab is much better for such folks as they value your skills and experience, and they give technical  more... opportunities commensurate with your qualiifications. Lincoln has gung-ho proclivity to hire young people (20s and 30s).  less
Pros
MIT benefits
Cons
Heavy politics, stagnant organization and close-minded managers. Many arrgogant people.
Decent compensation and an abundance of interesting work
Associate Staff (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAJune 9, 2014
Many who work at Lincoln Laboratory (LL) will have different experiences from each other, simply because there is such a great breadth of work that is done there. While you may start off doing a certain kind of work in one group, movement between groups (within reason) is relatively easy and employees are generally encouraged to find the work most interesting to them. The compensation is likely a bit lower than some of the larger for-profit defense contractors, but the work environment is more relaxed and pleasant (non-profit, collaborative, no need to log hours, flexible work hours/schedule).

Work/life balance can be tricky. On one hand, the official policy is to have a good balance, but you have to take that into your own hands. The fact is that there is always more work to do, so you have to take it upon yourself to have a balance.

LL is a very flat organization, which is both a pro and a con depending on your perspective. On the positive side, there's usually not a lot of intragroup competition and your work and input is received more or less the same regardless of official "rank". On the other hand, it's harder to get promoted and there is only so far you can climb before going into management.

Job security is excellent if you are a staff member. While sub-contractors have been laid off before as a result of budget cuts, there have not been any staff layoffs or even a hiring freeze (and this includes during the sequester).
Pros
no logging hours, flexible work schedule, excellent paid vacation time
Cons
security-heavy environment (necessary, but cumbersome at times)
Administrative Assistant V (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MASeptember 17, 2014
I have been here for 24 years and love it. I am looking for part time weekend work.
benefits
Good company with many years of industry experience.
Inventory Control/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAJanuary 4, 2015
tHIS WAS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR WITH MANY OPTIONS TO MOVE WITHIN. Many of the people there were long term employees and planned on retiring there. It was 99% R&D for department of defense I was laid off because something didnt get approved and then most people got called back including me but I was already working but I would have gone back,..
Pros
great company, retain employees, been around forever
Cons
layoffs
Good Organization
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAMarch 11, 2015
Good organization however it is clear that it is public sector work. Lots of opportunities for good, meaningful work. Able to meet a lot of people.
Managing and Analyzing Data
Financial Analyst Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAJanuary 14, 2013
Review expenses/commitments to understand account balances and project future forecasts.
Submit major capital/supply procurements.
Track procurement from approval date through expense date.
Meet with supervisors/managers/group leaders to understand procurements and to better forecast accounts.
Manage $6-$8 million using a detailed cost center structure, pivot tables, and weekly working/monthly review meetings.
The most enjoyable part of my job was problem solving. Constantly, unexpected procurements would arise, posing multiple problems to the overall budget.
The approval process at MIT Lincoln Lab was a slow, methodical process. This made procurements more difficult than they should have been.
In summary, working as a Financial Analyst for a Federally Funded Research and Development Center promoted a high volume of spending. This high volume and the accuracy in which the lab was held to meet the budgets plans brought a sense of meaning and fulfillment.
Pros
control of the budgeting process
Cons
approval process
Great people!
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MASeptember 20, 2013
The people were great but the politics and general procedural things got in the way of what they were often trying to accomplish.
Great place to work. Academic environment, very professional.
Senior Member of the Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MASeptember 24, 2012
Co-workers are very intelligent, stimulating, great fun to be with for intellectual as well as extra curricular activities.

4.3