Editorial & Marketing Copy Director
Position: Editorial & Marketing Copy Director
Office: Office of Communications, MIT Sloan School of Management
Reports to: Senior Director of Communications
Supervises: Staff of writers, freelancers and contactors
Personnel Category: Administrative Staff
MIT Sloan School of Management
The MIT Sloan School of Management, based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is one of the world’s leading business schools — conducting cutting-edge research and providing management education to top students from more than 60 countries. The School is part of MIT’s rich intellectual tradition of education, research and practice. From our flagship, two-year MBA Program to the intensive, yearlong Sloan Fellows Program in Innovation and Global Leadership, MIT Sloan’s degree and non-degree programs empower leaders with the skills and capabilities necessary to solve complex business problems, drive innovation, and improve the world.
The mission of the MIT Sloan School of Management is to develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world and to generate ideas that advance management practice.
The Office of Communications
Reporting to the Dean’s office, the Office of Communications is the school’s primary communications department responsible for promoting the MIT Sloan brand and its various programs and initiatives to the MIT Sloan community and the world. The Office serves as the school’s internal creative agency and media relations department.
Editorial & Marketing Copy Director
Reporting to the Senior Director of Communications, who leads the Office, the Editorial & Marketing Copy Director (Editorial Director) will be responsible for leading the editorial/copywriting function, developing editorial and marketing copy strategies, executing the written word for all communications developed by the Office of Communications, and developing and managing the voice of the MIT Sloan brand.
With the Dean’s commitment to raising the visibility of the school, the Editorial Director plays the critical role of leading the development of content for the Office of Communications, client programs and initiatives, and the MIT Sloan brand. Beginning with the development of key messages to be promoted about the school and its programs, the Editorial Director will develop content strategy and implementation plans that communicate the school’s distinct advantages and value propositions to various constituencies including prospective students, alumni and corporate partners.
The Editorial Director will develop the voice of the MIT Sloan brand and will lead its implementation across the school in all media and channels including web, print, emails, social media, mobile, video, audio, etc. The Editorial Director will lead the creation of both editorial and marketing copy, overseeing a staff of full-time employees, freelancers, and contract vendors, and will work with internal clients and Office staff to advance the school’s communications and business goals.
- Lead the development of all editorial and marketing copy generated by the Office of Communications.
- Develop editorial strategy that supports brand positioning and messaging goals for the MIT Sloan brand, programs and initiatives.
- Develop and maintain the MIT Sloan voice in all communications and set the standard of excellence across the school
- Help lead the development and management of the MIT Sloan brand strategy, personality and voice
- Lead the development of copy for all channels including the MIT Sloan website, print, emails, social media, mobile, video, audio, etc.
- Develop marketing copy that leads target groups to take desired actions, including alumni giving, student matriculation, faculty acquisition & retention, and corporate hiring of graduates
- Identify newsworthy stories and develop impactful articles to promote the many accomplishments and activities of campus visitors, faculty, students, and staff
- Develop press releases and other communications supporting our Media Relations function
- Lead and coordinate copywriting done in other departments across the school to maintain a consistent approach to content
- Consult with internal clients to develop integrated marketing campaigns and projects to meet their business needs while supporting the overall MIT Sloan brand
- Partner with other functions within the Office including the Visual Design, Digital Strategy, Production, Account Management, Marketing, and Media Relations to assure functions are working effectively together
- Be a resourceful, collaborative team player with a proven ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Lead a staff of full-time, contract, and freelance copywriters and vendor relationships to meet the capacity and capability needs of the Office. Manage and mentor staff to achieve high standards of excellence
- Adapt copy strategies to take advantage of new learnings, including marketing research, measurement & analysis, and client feedback
- Maintain a supportive and productive environment within the Office of Communications and with client and vendor relationships
- Other duties as needed or required
- Bachelor’s degree; a relevant advanced degree strongly preferred
- Minimum seven years related experience required
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Experience leading an editorial/copy function for a nationally known organization or agency
- Demonstrated experience developing both editorial and marketing copy
- Experience writing about business management
- Ability to translate academic research for a general audience
- Deep understanding of marketing principles supporting the ability to manage a brand’s voice effectively and to develop impactful marketing copy
- Strong understanding of writing for different formats – web, social media, mobile, video, audio and print
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Experience supervising and leading a high performance team of copywriters
- Experience delivering for clients and making deadlines
- Impressive portfolio of written communications
- Collaborative and effective leadership skills
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience leading the copy function in both creative agency and editorial settings
- Media Relations background