POSITION: Education and Program Assistant
Organization: Youth Employment in Parks (YEP), Anchorage Park Foundation
Start Date: 5/19/14
End Date: 8/8/14
Pay Range: $15/hour, 40 hours/week, 12 weeks
Work Schedule: 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday - Friday
Work Location: Anchorage, AK
Nature of work:
The Education and Program Assistant will work with the YEP Program Manager and Field Educator to provide a quality, integrated educational program that is relevant to the work performed by YEP participants. YEP is a service learning program where each week crew members will participate in job skills development through park improvement projects, environmental education, civic engagement and recreation.
The Education and Program Assistant, assists the Program Manager and the Field Educator with the development and delivery of educational lessons and activities for approximately 25 youth (16-19 yrs old) each week in collaboration with Crew Leaders.
Education topics and activities may include:
- Preparing members for a presentation before the Anchorage Assembly
- Job Skills
- Salmon Stream & Water Quality issues
- Public Speaking
- Civic Rights and Duties
- Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act
- Public Lands Management
- Recreation User Group Issues
- Community Planning
- Letters to the Editor
- Recreation Activities
She or He will perform project site and crew member support that may include trail work, habitat restoration, watering, conflict resolution, and other support duties.
The Education and Program Assistant will assist in communications including: a weekly newsletter and updating social media such as Facebook and Twitter. The Education and Program Assistant will be responsible for assisting in development and planning of special events such as mentorship week, community action projects and the closing dinner. Responsibilities may include clerical work and other duties as assigned with in the mission of the Anchorage Park Foundation.
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record as required by time of hire.
- Applicant must be able to use their own private vehicle with proof of insurance.
- Applicant must have completed or be in pursuit of a Recreation or Education related degree.
- Outdoor leadership practices, skills and knowledge
- Youth development issues knowledge
- Customer service experience
- Conflict resolution skills
- MS Office software and Adobe Creative Suite skills
- Education development background
- Public speaking experience
- Youth Corps experience
Submit resume and cover letter to:
C. Allen Truitt
Youth Employment in Parks
PO Box 196650
Anchorage, AK 99519-6650
truittca at muni.org
Application period is open until filled. We will begin reviewing applications and interviewing applications submitted by 3/19/2014.
For more information on the program see the Anchorage Park Foundation website at http://www.anchorageparkfoundation.org/projects/YEP.htm