MTV Networks Employee Reviews

Fun Company to Work for but no security
Buyer of Technology / Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2016
This company has many perks, it's a fun environment but there isn't much job security.
The management was great but sometimes office politics was often an issue. Depending on the department your work experience may be different.
I worked and interned for 2 years
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2016
While the culture is fun and young, there are not too many people that stay at this company for a while. The amount of layoffs leave the staff feeling uneasy. The gap between what the higher up executives make and the lower level employees is gigantic.
Pros
The people are fun to work with.
Cons
Current restructuring environment lowers morale
Fun place but don't expect to learn much
Production Intern (Former Employee) –  1515 Broadway NY, NYOctober 30, 2016
As an intern I wasn't compensated at all for any of the work I did. I ran errands for the office and didn't learn anything new. The whole point of an intern is to learn things in a work environment instead I was a personal assistant.
Pros
Meeting celebrities
Cons
No real experience
Great place to start but limited growth opportunity
Senior Manager, Retail Sales Analytics (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2015
Great place to start but limited growth opportunity. Office culture varies by channel. Some departments do better about promoting staff than others. I've heard more stories of bad management experiences than good ones but there are some good managers there.
Pros
Big company and great benefits
Cons
limited growth opportunity
fun place to work
Freelance Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2016
MTV had a great culture at the time i worked there. I cant say for sure now its the same place

I liked freelancing here. Nice coworkers & boss.
Pros
easy commute. great snacks & drinks
Cons
freelance gig
Excellent opportunity to learn the field of television production
Freelance Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
Great atmosphere, with great supervisors. I was freelance which meant I made my own schedule, and was able to pick which projects I was able to work on. As freelance employee I was able to network with other production companies and get hired for other exciting entertainment projects.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
no health care
Great people who last a lifetime BUT...
Supervisor, Strategic Sourcing & Vendor Relations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2015
Poor compensation and poor overall company vision leads to frustrated employees who feel used and abandoned when things get tight for the company (as they are now)
Pros
Back Up Childcare
Cons
Lack of support/ encouragement from Middle Management
What happened to the good old days?
Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2012
When I first started working for MTV it was a fun creative company that believed in the value and diversity of it's employees. The staff felt great love and loyalty to the company and on most days looked forward to going to work.

In the last few years the culture has changed dramatically from creative to strictly business oriented. In my opinion, it seemed that someone higher up tried to fix something that wasn't broken. The focus became how to get/ make more money, instead of creating innovative content and sending the right message. The morale was at an all time low when I left and those that stayed behind have nothing but complaints about the current culture.

Isn't the reason why this company was so successful for decades was because of it's innovation and creativity? Wasn't it the love and loyalty of the employees what made it a great place to work and therefore a great brand?

When most of the original people that created MTV, VH1 and Nickelodeon find reasons to leave after being there 10, 20, 30 years you have to wonder why.
benefits
Cons
pay scale
I enjoyed my employment at MTV Networks.
Library Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2012
I worked three different positions in two different departments over the last 14 years at MTV networks. The comapny itself has so much to offer: great benefits, great perks, free seminars, training and professional growth classes. as well as tons of fun stuff!
I worked with some amazing people!! Those people just need to be appreciated more by upper management. MTV networks can be a great company to work for.
Pros
healthcare, semi non corporate environment, great people!
Cons
lack of communication and support from management
Not enough growth within the department
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2014
check emails, catalog assests into system, coordinate pickups for orders and outside courier and vendors.
management tends to overlook at my talents and already decide who to pick for open positions.
my co-worker communicate and help one another when needed
my job is not that difficult and the most enjoyable part of the day is when I leave.
Pros
excellent benefits and good perks
Cons
not much opportunity for growth within the department/company
Decent place to start
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYAugust 4, 2014
12 hour shifts, 7am- 7om or 7pm -7am

A god entry level job but not much room for advancement. You'll learn how to use the switchers, graphic systems and schedule. Co-workers are great! The schedule is very tough especially on the night shift.
Pros
co workers
Cons
management, salary, time off, lack of advancement
Sad to Go
Executive Assistant for VP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2013
Although I loved the work environment and what I did, when my department was laid off and I tried to gain another position within the network, HR and hiring managers treat you as if you never worked there for years. Only if your in good with someone will you get a second shot, also MTV Networks pays their EA 's poorly. I practically needed a second job.
Pros
work environment, perks, benefits
Cons
Poor treatment of employees, present and past and low pay.
Fun creative environment working for "the man"
Show Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2014
MTV and Vh1 are great places to work in order to keep involved in pop culture, music, movies, reality TV, etc. though of course it's more reality-based than anything else.

The legendary Behind the Music and other rockDocs keep the credibility strong.
Pros
Large workforce, possible benefits
Cons
freeland mentality for younger employees
Very exciting company to work for...back in the late 1990'a-2003.
Technical Operations, and Talent management (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
This company used to be a pioneer in cable entertainment, and now with the ever changing media landscape-it's past it's hey day. Very hard to move up the chain, and no job security.
Great work/family balance
Director, Integrated Marketing & Promotions (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2016
Company encourages a great balance between work/family life. Company also encourages working remotely. Very flexible place to work.
Pros
Fun place to work.
Cons
Can create better growth movements within the company.
Great place to work!
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2013
In the heart of Times Square. That's a plus for some, a negative for others. Relaxed atmosphere. Great cafeteria. Lots of extra employee benefits! Diverse work force.
Pros
Comfortable place to work.
Cons
Salaries not competitive.
Typical Data Entry Job
Commercial Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2014
Co-workers were very friendly.
Supportive teamwork environment.
Lack of work/ life balance.
Management could be unsupportive and unclear.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and retirement plan
Relaxed Workplace. Fun Company
DESKTOP SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYDecember 10, 2013
Viacom\MTV has a relaxed workplace with good management in a professional atmosphere. It is a good place to work with good benefits.
The culture was great
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
Enjoyed my years at MTV Network. Worked with senior managers and developed alot of long lasting relationships. Still keep in contact with many of them.
Great company to work for!
Library Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2013
Great benefits. MTV has great programs for individual learning and development as well as fun stuff too!

4.2