MTV Networks Employee Reviews

Absolutely amazing five years of my life - prime pop culture gig
Executive Assistant to SVP, Marketing & Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkJanuary 21, 2014
Have you seen The Devil Wears Prada? That was my life for 5 years, only my bosses were amazing and I'm red head. The management was as rewarding as they were demanding. Specifically, I often worked until 9 or 10pm when award shows (VMA's, Movie Awards, etc...) were in season, but I got to travel to the shows (LA mostly) and work with the production teams at the big award show venues. I am still close with my boss and the reason for leaving was mostly because I outgrew the position and my boss left the company (Viacom) after my 3rd year, so I had to start over as an assistant with another executive (Jeannie Scalzo). I got an internship in Costa Rica and left the job to pursue that and accelerated my masters degree at Columbia to finish earlier and focus on my studies. I was working full time and going to school for the first half of my journey at the Columbia School of Journalism. I worked with some of the entertainment industry's most talented, spirited and creative people--most of whom I am still in touch and have included into my personal life as close friends.
Pros
worked with production team on award shows, phenomenal creative teams and family-like envt, fast-paced; birds-eye view on mngmt as exec assist
Cons
my boss left the company during the big layoffs and as an executive assistant, i got lost in the management shuffle for a couple of months but remained on payroll - strange, but common situation for ea's in entertainment
Best job ever
Senior Director, Music and Talent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2013
One of a kind experience that only a handful of people have been lucky enough to have. I advanced from being an intern for 2 years up through senior director of programmer of the channel. That's the equivalent of the biggest radio station in the world (at least back then!). I was also lucky enough to be there during a time of resurrection of corporate and commercial music. Britney, Xtina, Backstreet, N'Snc, Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, etc. A typical day was spent programming the next days programming, tomorrow's TRL countdown or perhaps that weekends 120 Minutes. The studio was always a daily stop as well. Spending time with the guests was very obviously quite important. I learned more than I can type here. My co-workers are still lifelong friends. We were in the trenches together and worked 18 days! It's hard to forget that. Mgmt was exceptional, kind and complimentary. I miss the place and those times all the time.
Pros
too many to list. ask me.
Cons
long hours that you actually wore like a badge of honor
What happened to the good old days?
Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2012
When I first started working for MTV it was a fun creative company that believed in the value and diversity of it's employees. The staff felt great love and loyalty to the company and on most days looked forward to going to work.

In the last few years the culture has changed dramatically from creative to strictly business oriented. In my opinion, it seemed that someone higher up tried to fix something that wasn't broken. The focus became how to get/ make more money, instead of creating innovative content and sending the right message. The morale was at an all time low when I left and those that stayed behind have nothing but complaints about the current culture.

Isn't the reason why this company was so successful for decades was because of it's innovation and creativity? Wasn't it the love and loyalty of the employees what made it a great place to work and therefore a great brand?

When most of the original people that created MTV, VH1 and Nickelodeon find reasons to leave after being there 10, 20, 30 years you have to wonder why.
benefits
Cons
pay scale
12 + years in MTV Networks
Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2012
MTV Networks was my home for over twelve years.

I started my career in the MTV Tape Library.From there i worked at VH1 for the Vogue Fashion Awards live show. Having it been a two month project, i quickly found myself landing a PA job at MTV on air promos. And the sky was the limit from there. I learned how to edit by staying after work and going in on the weekends. I was quickly promoted to Jr Editor. I assisted a Senior Editor on multiple episodic's on a weekly basis. Some of them were The Real World, Road Rules, to name a few. From there i went into the Producer world. My first month was consisted of some heavy hitters - Video Music Awards was the first. Needless to say, I handled everyone with attention to detail and i had pulled through. From there i started producing different genres of spots. From tours, to PSA, campaigns, image spots, contests, radio, movie promotion, etc. I was then promoted to Associate Producer and then finally Producer.

MTV Networks brings creativity and promise to those who look for it.

Try and try and it will pay off.
Fun, Productive, creative workplace
Pilot (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2014
Queuing music videos. Prepping cue cards. Acquiring permits for live shoots. Typing up and presenting Clearance Forms. Gathering materials for the pre-taped and Live shows. Providing support to Producers. Locating and delivering Tape requests.
The culture is one of inclusiveness, creativity and fun. My co-workers were funny, driven, professional, and helpful. Work was more like Summer Camp. We had so much fun. One of the best things about the job was learning on the fly. As daunting as some of the technical aspects were, it was incredibly empowering knowing I could resolve some challenging issues.
The hardest part of the job was letting go and accepting when a Show ended.
Pros
awesome cafeteria
Cons
temporary assignments
Productive and fun workplace
Syndication Sales - Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2012
MTV Networks was a very social place to work. People worked as a team and supported each other in all endeavors. I grew from my initial position as a sales assistant to becoming Marketing Coordinator in a few years thanks to the mentoring of my sales team and immediate supervisors. I loved working with our clients and forged many solid relationships with them. These clients include advertisers as well as program executives and producers. The hardest part, which I also enjoyed, was solving problems that arose from any advertisement or schedule that was missed or didn't deliver the anticipated ratings and working with MTV and the client to resolve those issues.
Pros
education was continually offered, social events, diversity.
I wish I didn't settle out of court
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYFebruary 24, 2014
it was awesome everything was awesome until they chose to terminate my employment through nefarious means and then slander me. New York is an at will state they could have fired me for any reason like its not you its us, or you have to much fun at work your excessively happy but instead they just lied in every direction including the lawyer from human rights division. other than that it was awesome.
Pros
watch tv all day, work half the year (if no server explodes or satillite falls over.
Cons
watch tv all day
Film Production Staff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 20, 2012
• Interfaced and maintained connectivity of G5 Macs with DV, Digibeta and Betacam decks and external hard drives via FireWire and Ethernet in a full post- production studio.
• Supervised satellite transcoded, Internet, broadcast and test-footage transmissions via Mac and Windows of PAL and NTSC footage.
• Edited, color corrected and applied bit/ frame rate adjustment to telecined footage with Final Cut Pro and After Effects. Improved settings for telecined footage with vendor.
• Encoded and transcoded footage on Mac platforms with Compressor, Quicktime and MEncoder to H.264, MPEG2/ 4 and Betacam output formats.
• Managed project communications requirements and communications between production offices. Streamlined communications using VoIP telephony and AppleShare.
Such a fun atmosphere full of color and uniqueness
Ad Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 12, 2015
This job was amazing - every floor had a different color and the chairs were all clear, metal, or made of some other material. The lobby was not like a stiff law firm but laid back, with a 1950s trailer parked right in the middle of it.

I researched different marketing approaches for the account executives so that they would know what to pitch to potential clients.

I was in Santa Monica, right next to google, and would eat lunch with different people right outside the building on picnic tables.
Fast Paced Environment
Nickelodeon Networks- Press Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2013
As a press coordinator you are the go-to person for information. At any point in my day I could be reviewing content to send out to social media blogs, or talking to Newspaper and Magazine writers. During events our roll quickly changed, at any given point we would have to run out to purchase an outfit for our talent to wear, or reschedule travel, escort Talent to and from venues, or order lunch. In publicity you learn to multi-task, but you also learn to pay attention to detail.
Pros
company sponsored events
Was a great company
Supervisor, Media Management (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYDecember 31, 2013
They were good to me, so I cannot complain. Though career wise I made the right move by changing jobs and heading over to Showtime. Only a few years later job cuts happened at MTV and one can never tell what would have happened if I still worked there, though I felt my work ethic and commitment should have been enough to keep me on. MTV Networks was a great place to start and learn new skills and it set me up to be the Manager I became.
Sad to Go
Executive Assistant for VP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2013
Although I loved the work environment and what I did, when my department was laid off and I tried to gain another position within the network, HR and hiring managers treat you as if you never worked there for years. Only if your in good with someone will you get a second shot, also MTV Networks pays their EA 's poorly. I practically needed a second job.
Pros
work environment, perks, benefits
Cons
poor treatment of employees, present and past and low pay.
I enjoyed my employment at MTV Networks.
Library Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2012
I worked three different positions in two different departments over the last 14 years at MTV networks. The comapny itself has so much to offer: great benefits, great perks, free seminars, training and professional growth classes. as well as tons of fun stuff!
I worked with some amazing people!! Those people just need to be appreciated more by upper management. MTV networks can be a great company to work for.
Pros
healthcare, semi non corporate environment, great people!
Cons
lack of communication and support from management
Good company
Digital Media Librarian (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2014
MTV Networks was an overall good experience. Excellent work environment in all their locations in the city. I learned a fair amount of how the media is stored and their how diligent all of their workers are when it comes to putting together a show or a news piece or even when it comes down to the their archiving system. the people were good to work with and getting along with.
Pros
inner cafeteria, discounts to certain things
Cons
expensive prices on their meals to keep up with the area, sometimes worked weekends
Awesome Management, Great Teamwork, Professional
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2013
As an intern, I worked under the Director of Marketing and was able to learn about branding and conducting business meetings with vendors and other departments. It was a great experience to learn marketing terminology, and to enhance on my writing and idea building skills. I recieved help from all of my superiors and received correction when needed to help me understand what was expected of me. I enjoyed the perks of being able to go concerts and other special media events. I truly enjoyed interning.
Pros
teamwork, communication, incentives
Cons
turnover rate
Not enough growth within the department
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2014
check emails, catalog assests into system, coordinate pickups for orders and outside courier and vendors.
management tends to overlook at my talents and already decide who to pick for open positions.
my co-worker communicate and help one another when needed
my job is not that difficult and the most enjoyable part of the day is when I leave.
Pros
excellent benefits and good perks
Cons
not much opportunity for growth within the department/company
Great work place
Security / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica CASeptember 3, 2012
Workinghear was great fun fast paced job, I learned that working hard and being humble pays off. I worked with a team officers and employees, the hardest part of the job for me was tryen to make sure everything was perfect so that management wouldn't have anything wrong to say about security. The best part was working and making new friends and meeting all the people I met over the years.
Challenging and Pleasurable
AP - Tax Reporting/ Banking/Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2012
Working there was challenging and pleasurable, providing customer care to such a variety of people of different experiences allowed each day to be interesting to say the least. Majority of my coworkers were a joy to experience. Teamwork and cross training allowed the day to flow expeditiously. Solving the challenges the day presented was the most enjoyable aspect of my experience at MTV Networks.
Pros
work life balances
Cons
having to sometimes say "no." clients.
Diverse and fun workplace
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2012
MTV Networks has a fun corporate culture. The atmosphere changes from floor to floor, but the overall culture remains.
Work can be fast-paced, and management can be demanding. However, most people are willing to pitch in and roll of their sleeves to solve problems. Management and the labor force can be very diverse.
Pros
opportunities to enjoy media events (musical, theatrical, cinematic)
Cons
may need to navigate difficult personalities
BEST INTERNSHIPS EVER
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2012
Being an intern at MTV was something of a dream! I worked with such a wonderful variety of people and got to do a lot of hands-on work, never had to make anyone coffee ;) Plus I found out that tons of my co-workers were once interns themselves! That was really nice to see.
Pros
fun environment, hands-on work, great cafeteria!
Cons
no commute reimbursement

4.3