MTV Networks Employee Reviews

Fun
Casting Associate Producer MADE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2017
This was a FUN, productive job! I truly enjoyed my years working for MTV. I learned a great deal and made some connections in the industry. The downside was that it was freelance.
Productive environment, laid back, organized workplace
Assstant/Project based employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
I loved working for Viacom. My team was inviting and always helpful, they especially put in effort to help me learn the ropes of the department. MY workload was always manageable and I was doing work that I was genuinely interested in outside of the office also.
Pros
Perfect work schedule, interesting work, manageable workload
Family atmosphere with fearless colleagues
Production Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
I've grown my entire professional career at MTV networks. It's provided me with a wealth of experience while shaping me into a experienced executive.
Pros
Peers, content, brand recognition.
Cons
Salary increases and career advancement
Fantastic Work Environment With Great People
Staff Writer / Producer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2017
from 10am - 7pm, Ridiculousness is a fantastic work culture with talented and hilarious people. The show has been around for 10 years and it runs very efficiently, thanks to competent and talented managers and executive producers
Pros
People
Cons
Unexpected Hiatus from time to time
Ok
Digital Programming Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2017
Company is evolving to take on digital media. Layoffs continue as the company adapts, so outlook is shaky. At times the business principals for traditional media and online media conflict.
Reality show in all it's glory
Reality Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Kaua‘i, HIMarch 30, 2017
MTV gives young adults opportunity to explore national television in an exciting way. Not only are we the "talent," but we learn a lot about production of creating a show.
Pros
Notoriety
Cons
Negative Social Media comments
Flip Films not MTV
PRODUCTION ASSISTANT Flip Films (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2017
I worked for a company named Flip Films to witch they made a video for MTV.
The people were friendly and dedicated but there is no room for advancement there.
fun content
Producer/ Post Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2017
fun and interesting content- music and pop culture,
lack of growth, no security, not a good job for home work balance, bad hours, bad office politics
Pros
fun enviornment
Cons
poor hours, pay, politics
Awesome place!
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2017
I enjoyed working here as a production assistant. Staff were very friendly and willing to help.Great learning experience and can definitely grow within company!
seasonal job
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 15, 2017
my job as a freelancer was always great. Having the opportunity to always work with new people on new projects. i have only worked with them on special projects . i learned it takes a village on awards shows..so help out as much as you can.
Pros
new experience all the time
Cons
only temp jobs
MTV Review
Research Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2017
Good work life balance, fun company, great people to work with, excellent learning environment.Young atmosphere, casual dress for work. Pay is much lower than industry average. Low pay, rarely promotes people. Big discrepancy between higher management pay and middle management.
Great atmoshpere
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2017
Worked as a free lance PA from a production company that was hired by MTV. it was a great experience and learned much about the business.
Great place! (for feeling stressed)
Staff Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2017
MTV News pushed me harder than any workplace I've been at so far, which at times was great — we had access to incredible resources, talent, and opportunities, and I produced some of my best work there. However, I was also hired as a permanent full time freelance employee with no job security and no health benefits, which was a constant source of stress, particularly when coupled with long hours and a large corporate office culture that seemed cool on the surface but felt extremely alienating at times.

Ironically, just after our team was told we were bringing in the most web traffic of any department, the entire site was restructured and the majority of us were laid off. I'm sure the culture of the place is entirely different now, but if they still aren't giving ALL their employees health benefits then I'd say don't bother.
Pros
Amazing access, free sodas, name recognition, occasional free swag
Cons
no health benefits, no job security, no vacation policy, long hours, relatively low pay
A great place to work if you have the hustle to survive the work..
Senior Producer (Former Employee) –  Studio City, CAJanuary 6, 2017
I've worked for Viacom for over a decade and I'm glad to have had the experience. I Produced 52 #1 hit shows in 4 seasons of "Wild 'N Out" for MTV, and 3 additional #1 hit seasons on MTV2. .their highest rated show in the history of that network, then back on MTV as Senior Producer for my 8th season in 11 years.
Pros
I made some of my dreams come true
Cons
I had to do the WORK! All the hustle, all the preasure and tough stuff.
Nice place
VP, Application Development of Programming Systems (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2016
Amazing place to work, and wish I was still there. Great parties but salary for younger staff is very low, especially if they do not progress up the ranks.
I worked and interned for 2 years
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2016
While the culture is fun and young, there are not too many people that stay at this company for a while. The amount of layoffs leave the staff feeling uneasy. The gap between what the higher up executives make and the lower level employees is gigantic.
Pros
The people are fun to work with.
Cons
Current restructuring environment lowers morale
Fun place but don't expect to learn much
Production Intern (Former Employee) –  1515 Broadway NY, NYOctober 30, 2016
As an intern I wasn't compensated at all for any of the work I did. I ran errands for the office and didn't learn anything new. The whole point of an intern is to learn things in a work environment instead I was a personal assistant.
Pros
Meeting celebrities
Cons
No real experience
Fun but political environment
Integrated Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2016
Great place to gain contacts and experience. Difficult to move internally. Great training programs and benefits available to those who are staff members.
Fun Company to Work for but no security
Buyer of Technology / Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2016
This company has many perks, it's a fun environment but there isn't much job security.
The management was great but sometimes office politics was often an issue. Depending on the department your work experience may be different.
A productive place to work and learn
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2016
Great environment! People are friendly! You get a lot of training. The overall vibe of the company is fun, spiriting and exciting. I can see why people tend to stay here for a long time. It's encouraging.