MTV Networks Employee Reviews

Productive and Challenging
Intern, On Air Design Studio (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2014
Internship was great

mtv is great for artists who need experience and work
Pros
advancement, experience
Cons
work/life balance
Fun, Productive, creative workplace
Pilot (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2014
Queuing music videos. Prepping cue cards. Acquiring permits for live shoots. Typing up and presenting Clearance Forms. Gathering materials for the pre-taped and Live shows. Providing support to Producers. Locating and delivering Tape requests.
The culture is one of inclusiveness, creativity and fun. My co-workers were funny, driven, professional, and helpful. Work was more like Summer Camp. We had so much fun. One of the best things about the job was learning on the fly. As daunting as some of the technical aspects were, it was incredibly empowering knowing I could resolve some challenging issues.
The hardest part of the job was letting go and accepting when a Show ended.
Pros
awesome cafeteria
Cons
temporary assignments
Decent place to start
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYAugust 4, 2014
12 hour shifts, 7am- 7om or 7pm -7am

A god entry level job but not much room for advancement. You'll learn how to use the switchers, graphic systems and schedule. Co-workers are great! The schedule is very tough especially on the night shift.
Pros
co workers
Cons
management, salary, time off, lack of advancement
Good company
Digital Media Librarian (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2014
MTV Networks was an overall good experience. Excellent work environment in all their locations in the city. I learned a fair amount of how the media is stored and their how diligent all of their workers are when it comes to putting together a show or a news piece or even when it comes down to the their archiving system. the people were good to work with and getting along with.
Pros
inner cafeteria, discounts to certain things
Cons
expensive prices on their meals to keep up with the area, sometimes worked weekends
Best place to work!
Brand and Consumer Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2014
This was my best job ever. I loved the entertainment industry.
Facilitates growth and learning
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2014
The larger part of my day is made up of coordinating with other team members to ensure productive results. I have taken classes on the different communication styles to help me with effective communication. I have also learned a lot how to manage and balance work with personal life.
amazing opportunities to learn and grow as well as work perks
VH1 Press Team, Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 17, 2014
a typical day consists of writing press releases and ensuring we are up to date on current popular culture events that could effect our clients
Very laid back and fun atmosphere
Copy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYMay 31, 2014
I have worked for MTV Networks for the last 14 years and it has been a pleasant experience. The company is very casual. Of course, you work hard, but the company has your back if you put in the time.
Productive and fun place to work
Development (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 27, 2014
You never knew what to expect working in development at MTV...
Great company to work for!
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 26, 2014
MTV has a great management team with many opportunities for advancement.
Not enough growth within the department
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2014
check emails, catalog assests into system, coordinate pickups for orders and outside courier and vendors.
management tends to overlook at my talents and already decide who to pick for open positions.
my co-worker communicate and help one another when needed
my job is not that difficult and the most enjoyable part of the day is when I leave.
Pros
excellent benefits and good perks
Cons
not much opportunity for growth within the department/company
Fun, dynamic, cool workplace!
CMT Press Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 13, 2014
Very "millenial" environment. Everyone is young and looking to have fun. Lots to do - everyone wants help. Coolest part of the job is dealing with talent. Also very challenging.
Typical Data Entry Job
Commercial Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2014
Co-workers were very friendly.
Supportive teamwork environment.
Lack of work/ life balance.
Management could be unsupportive and unclear.
Pros
excellent benefits and retirement plan
Fun creative environment working for "the man"
Show Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2014
MTV and Vh1 are great places to work in order to keep involved in pop culture, music, movies, reality TV, etc. though of course it's more reality-based than anything else.

The legendary Behind the Music and other rockDocs keep the credibility strong.
Pros
large workforce, possible benefits
Cons
freeland mentality for younger employees
I wish I didn't settle out of court
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYFebruary 24, 2014
it was awesome everything was awesome until they chose to terminate my employment through nefarious means and then slander me. New York is an at will state they could have fired me for any reason like its not you its us, or you have to much fun at work your excessively happy but instead they just lied in every direction including the lawyer from human rights division. other than that it was awesome.
Pros
watch tv all day, work half the year (if no server explodes or satillite falls over.
Cons
watch tv all day
Fast paced media company
Director, Media Planning & Scheduling (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2014
Working at MTV Networks can be very rewarding. However, there is an element of pettiness can be had by some of the management.
MTV
SR. Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2014
This place was amazing, though there wasn't much room for me to grow in my position I could have stayed there the rest of my life..the culture the people it was amazing. however my hours were long, and exhausting at times but working with people you love made a 12 hour day worth it.
Pros
perks! perks! perks!
Cons
long hours, under compensated
Absolutely amazing five years of my life - prime pop culture gig
Executive Assistant to SVP, Marketing & Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkJanuary 21, 2014
Have you seen The Devil Wears Prada? That was my life for 5 years, only my bosses were amazing and I'm red head. The management was as rewarding as they were demanding. Specifically, I often worked until 9 or 10pm when award shows (VMA's, Movie Awards, etc...) were in season, but I got to travel to the shows (LA mostly) and work with the production teams at the big award show venues. I am still close with my boss and the reason for leaving was mostly because I outgrew the position and my boss left the company (Viacom) after my 3rd year, so I had to start over as an assistant with another executive (Jeannie Scalzo). I got an internship in Costa Rica and left the job to pursue that and accelerated my masters degree at Columbia to finish earlier and focus on my studies. I was working full time and going to school for the first half of my journey at the Columbia School of Journalism. I worked with some of the entertainment industry's most talented, spirited and creative people--most of whom I am still in touch and have included into my personal life as close friends.
Pros
worked with production team on award shows, phenomenal creative teams and family-like envt, fast-paced; birds-eye view on mngmt as exec assist
Cons
my boss left the company during the big layoffs and as an executive assistant, i got lost in the management shuffle for a couple of months but remained on payroll - strange, but common situation for ea's in entertainment
High stress, fast pace environment that flourishes on pressure
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2014
I researched guests and pitched ideas for segments, the show I worked on was filmed and aired live, so it was very stressful but fast paced. Occasionally, I was on-air talent. Good team work with coworkers and supportive direct management, but poor upper management.
Was a great company
Supervisor, Media Management (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYDecember 31, 2013
They were good to me, so I cannot complain. Though career wise I made the right move by changing jobs and heading over to Showtime. Only a few years later job cuts happened at MTV and one can never tell what would have happened if I still worked there, though I felt my work ethic and commitment should have been enough to keep me on. MTV Networks was a great place to start and learn new skills and it set me up to be the Manager I became.

4.3