MTV Networks Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workplace at times
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2015
Used to be a great place to work 13 years ago. things have changed over time and are very different now. Management not as close to employees as they use to be.
Fun creative environment working for "the man"
Show Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2014
MTV and Vh1 are great places to work in order to keep involved in pop culture, music, movies, reality TV, etc. though of course it's more reality-based than anything else.

The legendary Behind the Music and other rockDocs keep the credibility strong.
Pros
large workforce, possible benefits
Cons
freeland mentality for younger employees
Chance to do what you love
VP, TV LAND ON-AIR PROMOTION OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2015
If you like to multi-task the is the job for you and you have opportunity to step up and present new ideas especially with new technologies and changing business. However the industry and company has changed and challenges are mounting and leadership is under much pressure.
Fun, Productive, creative workplace
Pilot (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2014
Queuing music videos. Prepping cue cards. Acquiring permits for live shoots. Typing up and presenting Clearance Forms. Gathering materials for the pre-taped and Live shows. Providing support to Producers. Locating and delivering Tape requests.
The culture is one of inclusiveness, creativity and fun. My co-workers were funny, driven, professional, and helpful. Work was more like Summer Camp. We had so much fun. One of the best things about the job was learning on the fly. As daunting as some of the technical aspects were, it was incredibly empowering knowing I could resolve some challenging issues.
The hardest part of the job was letting go and accepting when a Show ended.
Pros
awesome cafeteria
Cons
temporary assignments
Fun and Risky
Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
Fun environment, great colleagues and good technologies.
Horrible products and management.
Low salaries.
Unstable career.
Pros
film screenings.
Cons
painfully wait for the usual layoffs to find out if you were safe or out.
Mtv
SR. Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2014
This place was amazing, though there wasn't much room for me to grow in my position I could have stayed there the rest of my life..the culture the people it was amazing. however my hours were long, and exhausting at times but working with people you love made a 12 hour day worth it.
Pros
perks! perks! perks!
Cons
long hours, under compensated
Productive and fun workplace
Syndication Sales - Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2012
MTV Networks was a very social place to work. People worked as a team and supported each other in all endeavors. I grew from my initial position as a sales assistant to becoming Marketing Coordinator in a few years thanks to the mentoring of my sales team and immediate supervisors. I loved working with our clients and forged many solid relationships with them. These clients include advertisers as well as program executives and producers. The hardest part, which I also enjoyed, was solving problems that arose from any advertisement or schedule that was missed or didn't deliver the anticipated ratings and working with MTV and the client to resolve those issues.
Pros
education was continually offered, social events, diversity.
Great place to work!
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2013
In the heart of Times Square. That's a plus for some, a negative for others. Relaxed atmosphere. Great cafeteria. Lots of extra employee benefits! Diverse work force.
Pros
comfortable place to work.
Cons
salaries not competitive.
It's the best learning experience out of college.
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  1616 Broadway; 345 Hudson Street New York, NYDecember 1, 2011
All television individuals should do their first stint in professional Television at MTV Networks. The people are great, the work is plenty, and you will survive a crucible that will bridge the gap that you need to make from young adult to full adult. A PA is a nothing more than a producer in training.

In my time I was tested with writing, researching and edit screenings. You learn to put in the long hours, you learn to put in the responsibility, you learn to work with the impossible. It is your final test as to if you can be a professional in television. It's where you pay your dues.
Pros
great people, great learning experience, hands on work ethic required.
Cons
money
Best job ever
Senior Director, Music and Talent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2013
One of a kind experience that only a handful of people have been lucky enough to have. I advanced from being an intern for 2 years up through senior director of programmer of the channel. That's the equivalent of the biggest radio station in the world (at least back then!). I was also lucky enough to be there during a time of resurrection of corporate and commercial music. Britney, Xtina, Backstreet, N'Snc, Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, etc. A typical day was spent programming the next days programming, tomorrow's TRL countdown or perhaps that weekends 120 Minutes. The studio was always a daily stop as well. Spending time with the guests was very obviously quite important. I learned more than I can type here. My co-workers are still lifelong friends. We were in the trenches together and worked 18 days! It's hard to forget that. Mgmt was exceptional, kind and complimentary. I miss the place and those times all the time.
Pros
too many to list. ask me.
Cons
long hours that you actually wore like a badge of honor
Loved working here.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2015
I learned so much about marketing, advertising and television. I spent a good part of my career at MTV and had the pleasure of working in various departments. I worked my way up the corporate ladder by starting out working for the President of the company, as her assistant, and then moving over to marketing. I loved working here...unfortunately, I was part of a huge lay off in 2009.
Typical Data Entry Job
Commercial Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2014
Co-workers were very friendly.
Supportive teamwork environment.
Lack of work/ life balance.
Management could be unsupportive and unclear.
Pros
excellent benefits and retirement plan
12 + years in MTV Networks
Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2012
MTV Networks was my home for over twelve years.

I started my career in the MTV Tape Library.From there i worked at VH1 for the Vogue Fashion Awards live show. Having it been a two month project, i quickly found myself landing a PA job at MTV on air promos. And the sky was the limit from there. I learned how to edit by staying after work and going in on the weekends. I was quickly promoted to Jr Editor. I assisted a Senior Editor on multiple episodic's on a weekly basis. Some of them were The Real World, Road Rules, to name a few. From there i went into the Producer world. My first month was consisted of some heavy hitters - Video Music Awards was the first. Needless to say, I handled everyone with attention to detail and i had pulled through. From there i started producing different genres of spots. From tours, to PSA, campaigns, image spots, contests, radio, movie promotion, etc. I was then promoted to Associate Producer and then finally Producer.

MTV Networks brings creativity and promise to those who look for it.

Try and try and it will pay off.
Productive and Challenging
Intern, On Air Design Studio (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2014
Internship was great

mtv is great for artists who need experience and work
Pros
advancement, experience
Cons
work/life balance
Fun place to work
Advertising Sales Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2013
MTV is a crazy place but with great people. A lot of meetings and deadlines, but great culture with diverse co-workers.
Pros
bagel fridays!
Cons
everyone fighting for slim promotions
I wish I didn't settle out of court
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYFebruary 24, 2014
it was awesome everything was awesome until they chose to terminate my employment through nefarious means and then slander me. New York is an at will state they could have fired me for any reason like its not you its us, or you have to much fun at work your excessively happy but instead they just lied in every direction including the lawyer from human rights division. other than that it was awesome.
Pros
watch tv all day, work half the year (if no server explodes or satillite falls over.
Cons
watch tv all day
Relaxed Workplace. Fun Company
DESKTOP SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYDecember 10, 2013
Viacom\MTV has a relaxed workplace with good management in a professional atmosphere. It is a good place to work with good benefits.
Great company to work for!
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 26, 2014
MTV has a great management team with many opportunities for advancement.
Challenging and Pleasurable
AP - Tax Reporting/ Banking/Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2012
Working there was challenging and pleasurable, providing customer care to such a variety of people of different experiences allowed each day to be interesting to say the least. Majority of my coworkers were a joy to experience. Teamwork and cross training allowed the day to flow expeditiously. Solving the challenges the day presented was the most enjoyable aspect of my experience at MTV Networks.
Pros
work life balances
Cons
having to sometimes say "no." clients.
Great company to work for. Pull weight on your resume
Assistant for Programming (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2015
great company to work for. Media is fast paced. their can be alot of OT. in tv you always have alot of changes which can add to stress but the experience is amazing

4.3