MAA Employee Reviews in United States

Dependable, Honest and Efficient
Apartment Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMay 11, 2016
Dependable , Honest and Efficient .Great staff! Very detailed oriented, and dedicated to serving the best possible work.
Pros
great people
Cons
NA
Horrible
Unanimous (Former Employee) –  UnanimousApril 8, 2016
Overworked, underpaid, favoritism, discriminating. Treat workers badly: no tools provided for work to be done, workers have to provide their own tools. No breakroom to eat lunch, no water provided. Slave driven!
Pros
NONE
Cons
Too many to list!
company doesn't take care of their employees
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 24, 2016
Worked there for 2 months. Was on call all but 1 holiday. Did everything asked. With this company if the manager doesn't like you your days are numbered. They will make up false issues to get rid of you. While I was there saw fair housing issues. Discrimination comments in the office against people from middle eastern cultures. And even had an employee threaten a resident. Guess what he's still there.

Overall this is not a family oriented company in my opinion.
Pros
compensation is above average
Cons
an age mentioned does not care about employees
Don't do it
Painter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 17, 2016
Horrible management. Just horrible.

MAA has a habit of hiring incompetent managers who are verbally abusive and then expect the rest of the staff to tolerate the abuse. The salaries are rather low compared to other companies in the area and the turn around is very high, for a good reason. They cannot keep staff and will continue to have a disgruntled staff as long as the hiring managers continue not to listen to the maintenance crews.
It's not what you know but who you know
Leasing (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 18, 2016
Would be a good company if you really worked to get ahead and not just know the right people to get ahead. So sad that not everyone gets a chance to succeed. What happened to having to work for what you want
Cons
Favoritism
Maintenance Technician
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 27, 2016
Overall Maa is a good company however if your the other color don't apply or if you have taken the job use it as a stepping stone because once you have put Maa on your resume lots of companies want you trust me bonuses are good residents are cool you just have to be yourself bur upper management will come in and try to scare you but if you fight back the smart way they will back off
Pros
bonuses, residents, uniforms
Cons
management, overworked, underpaid, racism, try to scare you ...
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 11, 2016
People are great, managers are great. If you love Property management then this is for you. They don't micro manage and they allow you to shine in what you do. I would recommend MAA to anyone who is looking for work
Pros
pay is low
Good Company
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 21, 2015
Good company with some amazing team leaders. I worked at MAA for 1 1/2 year and I really enjoyed my time there. If I get the opportunity to go back to got at MAA I will go back.
Company not up front
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 5, 2015
MAA is a company that says one thing and does another. I was told several times that even though my occupancy was down that my position was not in jeopardy. The same person who told me that fired me for occupancy. We went through a merger, I originally was with the other company and out of the 8 managers who were acquired in that deal only 3 are left.

The position was demanding at best and they did not want you to have any life outside of work. As a manager, they took away any tools I had to hold staff accountable making it difficult to manage the property.
Pros
Good pay and bonuses
Cons
Treatment of employees
Expected too much in too little time and they need to renovate!
Maintenance manager (Former Employee) –  MississippiSeptember 27, 2015
This is hands down the worst job that I've ever had! They were understaffed and expected me to paint and do all repairs in one day's work. Not only did they expect that they wanted me to clean pool daily, assist on work orders, do the grounds and water all plants in a day. While my assistant did little to nothing!
Pros
Cons
Working there
Was a good company
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  orlando flSeptember 18, 2015
Worked for company almost 3 year. Joined when it was Colonial Times was great lots of support upper and lower management. But when they Merge With Maa in one word Garbage. complete micromanagement and scare tactics. Lots of work not enough time. Just to name a few.. I've been doing maintenance for over 15 year this company went from the best company to work for to straight garbage.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay but overworked
allowed to work freely without constant watch
Grownskeeper /maint and CPO (Former Employee) –  howell commonsSeptember 15, 2015
Good place to work....loved working there and like this kind of work ...i learned how to interact with people living there...management was questionable....the hardest thing was the job requirements were not timed studied as to be able to meet them....i like doing what is required and do them well and exceed expectations. i was ask to do unsafe practices and belittled if i didnt ...other than that i really liked it there this job was perfect for me..
Pros
allowed to work freely without constant watch
Overworked and Underpaid
I hated this company (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TnSeptember 5, 2015
This company will work you like a slave and then stab you in the back. They are prejudiced and I'll advise anyone to watch their backs working for this company. The only good thing about this company is the free lunches. They are terrible, the white people get paid more than the black people. And the managers are very lazy. Be aware if you apply for this ran down company.
Pros
free lunches and long breaks
Cons
overworked with no appreciation
Very rewarding career with this company.
Regional Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 29, 2015
What I like the most about my career is training, motivating and meeting new people. I have a solution to their need. I also enjoy watching new associates turn into great sales people. I am a people person, So it allows me to reward myself with meeting new people My every day is crazy busy, which is the way I like it. I am talented enough to wear many hats and I love helping people.
I am always learning new things and I am able to grow with changes that may challenge me. The hardest part of my job and the only reason I am wanting to change companies is the travel away from my family. I leave on Monday and come home on Friday. I will work hard for any company I work for just like I do for this MAA. I am well educated on nutrition and when I had my nutrition clubs was some of the happiest times in my career. I would prefer to work for a company instead of own it.
Pros
the travel is fun, meals are paid for, meet all kinds of people, visit companies properties
Cons
I am away from my family too much, It is getting too hard on our relationship. I feel that my social life is suffering.
learning new things around airport operations
Facilities Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 18, 2015
ive learned about operations on runway and taxiway and getting clearance into secured areas by US Customs and having a Customs seal on my badge
Promotes from within, Great Execs, High Expectations
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 30, 2015
Great company with meaningful core values. High expectations for achievements, but gives the training to reach goals appropriately.
Pros
Stable company, promotes from within
Cons
Short-staffed at some locations
Great Company & Amazing Support Team
Multifamily (Current Employee) –  Irving, TexasJune 29, 2015
Awesome company to work for, one of the best, if not the best multifamily company to work for! They take care of all the associates and value everyone.
Good Company
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 2, 2015
MAA is a good company and is growing. If you are looking to work for a company that provides the option to let you relocate, they are great. I don't think the pay and commissions are enough and I don't like the fact that the courtesy officers get more off their rent than the employees because the officers never do their jobs. They start off good and then slack off. Management is great and there are many people that have worked for the company for a very long time. They also have more paid holidays than other companies.
Pros
flexible with schedule, paid vacation, bonuses if you work the holiday
Cons
small discount percentage, not enough pay
Management will stab you in the back after you give your all to the company
Leasing (Former Employee) –  NashvilleMay 5, 2015
You will go to work there and think this is a nice place "they are great". That is when the trouble begins. They do give you 13-14 house worth of paperwork to do in 8 hours but in that 8 hours you are doing everything else like answering phones and showing apartments etc....
You will literally have to stay on your own time to get YOUR files done in their time frame. They have an unrealistic time frame for those too. They do not like older workers so if you are over say 30 do not apply. When they let you go for no reason at all or you are not given a reason, they will not pay you all of the commission you are owed. Plus while you are working the manager will get your leases confused with other employees leases and you won't get the commission. The other employee will get it.
Management is horrible to work with and they DO NOT treat their employees by their company morals at all.
If you consider working there BEWARE!!
Pros
Everything other than the free lunches
Cons
A few lunches every now and then
Overworked and underpaid
leasing agent (Former Employee) –  sanford FLFebruary 7, 2015
Vicious corporation.employees have to do 12-13 hours of work in 8 hours sometime they have to stay on their own time to complete the job because they don't approve overtime.quarterly bonuses are virtually nonexistent any more.some properties garbage situation is out of control and employees have to work under unsanitary conditions.The property runs understaffed and with no groundskeeper the property doesn't look clean.the demands of the upper management are unreal!
Pros
activities and dinners
Cons
overworked understaffed and underpaid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9