MAA Employee Reviews

Great Company!
Property Manager - The Paddock Club of Lakeland (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 10, 2017
Great company to work for! I'm only leaving because they are selling my property and, at this time, they have no open positions in my area. They have a wonderful support system which allows managers to do the real important stuff, like supporting their site team and helping the residents.
Great
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 30, 2017
It is a great company with a great business modal and I have loved every minute of working there . They ate all so nice and professional and they have wonderful benefiktd
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Low Commissions
Give all you got, not appreciated
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAApril 27, 2017
I worked for MAA for 8+ years and I gave 120%. I lived on property, so even when I wasn't on the clock, I was working, constantly addressing issues regarding property, residents, trash, etc. I would be out shopping for myself and always ended up shopping for the office. I also would work 9-10 hours per day, but my property didn't prefer to pay OT, so my manager would "fudge" hours when she turned in my time so I wouldn't be on OT. That happened ALOT.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Management sucked, RVP's, SVP's, PM. They don't care about anybody but themselves.
I absolutely love this company!
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 7, 2017
I love everything about my job as a leasing consultant. Management is fantastic, pay and benefits are excellent, I have no complaints. You are provided with tons of tools to help you learn and grow as an employee and as a person overall.
Pros
Management, Communities, Employees
Cons
None!
Excellent company with opportunity for growth and career development.
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 27, 2017
MAA is a great company that offers competitive incentives and compensation. They offer endless resources and training to equip you to do your job to the best of your ability.
Terrible
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 2, 2017
Why anyone wants to work anywhere in the multi family industry is beyond my understanding. This company is a prime example of all the negative things about it. The pay is poor. Employees aren't even paid enough to live on the property they take care of. Hours are terrible. They think nothing of dragging you away from your family. There is absolutely no room for advancement. I could go on and on but I've reached the 150 minimum and just the thought of MAA makes me want to pull my hair out by the handful.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Poor pay, no advancement
Organized Maintenance
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  fairview,txJanuary 19, 2017
Busy mornings with team meeting, scheduling weekly tasks for team, but helpful for the team to be on board.
Communication is key for a team to succeed.
Daily completion lists reviewed.
Pros
Very knowledgeable assistant
Cons
1 hour drive to work
Productive and fun workplace
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 12, 2017
This company was my first experience in the field, and it was the perfect fit for me being new to the field. My supervisor taught me a lot and it was a fun place to work.
Risky job security unknow
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2017
This company is a money making machine. As they grow bigger and bigger which is the American Dream there will be a learning curve as employees and residents leave for different reasons. Hopefull MAA will represent and produce reasonable jobs with goals to meet human expectations. Some of the job discriptions have unrealistic duties for one person.
Pros
Deep pockets
Cons
Too concerned about not spending for the overall success of their properties
Professional and focus on development
Client Contract Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2017
You will be flown to corporate for training and be given many resources for success. They spend money on their employees. Pay is decent (above average) for the role.
Great working atmosphere
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 7, 2016
I loved working here. I would recommend the career to friends and peers looking to get into this career field. Very fun place and a great learning experience.
Only the money matters, not, you.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaSeptember 18, 2016
Colonial was great, after the merger, maa came in with unrealistic goals, and claimed that this is how they have been doing it for years but couldn't seem to show me how to make it work on my property. It was all stuff Colonial tried years ago and realized that it wasn't going to work. Maa insisted that it would, could only explain in theory, regional supervisor could never stay long enough to prove it. (always some b.s. Excuse to go to another property). Couldn't stay long enough to be proven wrong is my guess.
Pros
Cons
bad insurance, lazy management
Dependable, Honest and Efficient
Apartment Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMay 11, 2016
Dependable , Honest and Efficient .Great staff! Very detailed oriented, and dedicated to serving the best possible work.
Pros
great people
Cons
Na
used to be a great place to work!
Manager (Former Employee) –  NCApril 13, 2016
I was with this company for 12 years! After the merger, the East region was predominately the "other" company. Especially the higher ups! It was no longer a great place to work. My job was threaten daily. My boss actually teared up the day she told me she felt like I was going to be fired due to numbers! The people that were coming from sister properties would go back to the higher ups and tell lies making me look bad. I really hate to see the path this company is heading. I left after a 2 week notice and since then, there have been 8 others leave due to the constant bullying.
Pros
insurance, bonuses
Cons
unachievable budgets
Horrible
Unanimous (Former Employee) –  UnanimousApril 8, 2016
Overworked, underpaid, favoritism, discriminating. Treat workers badly: no tools provided for work to be done, workers have to provide their own tools. No breakroom to eat lunch, no water provided. Slave driven!
Pros
Cons
Too many to list!
company doesn't take care of their employees
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 24, 2016
Worked there for 2 months. Was on call all but 1 holiday. Did everything asked. With this company if the manager doesn't like you your days are numbered. They will make up false issues to get rid of you. While I was there saw fair housing issues. Discrimination comments in the office against people from middle eastern cultures. And even had an employee threaten a resident. Guess what he's still there.

Overall this is not a family oriented company in my opinion.
Pros
compensation is above average
Cons
an age mentioned does not care about employees
Don't do it
Painter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 17, 2016
Horrible management. Just horrible.

MAA has a habit of hiring incompetent managers who are verbally abusive and then expect the rest of the staff to tolerate the abuse. The salaries are rather low compared to other companies in the area and the turn around is very high, for a good reason. They cannot keep staff and will continue to have a disgruntled staff as long as the hiring managers continue not to listen to the maintenance crews.
It's not what you know but who you know
Leasing (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 18, 2016
Would be a good company if you really worked to get ahead and not just know the right people to get ahead. So sad that not everyone gets a chance to succeed. What happened to having to work for what you want
Cons
Favoritism
Maintenance Technician
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 27, 2016
Overall Maa is a good company however if your the other color don't apply or if you have taken the job use it as a stepping stone because once you have put Maa on your resume lots of companies want you trust me bonuses are good residents are cool you just have to be yourself bur upper management will come in and try to scare you but if you fight back the smart way they will back off
Pros
bonuses, residents, uniforms
Cons
management, overworked, underpaid, racism, try to scare you ...
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 11, 2016
People are great, managers are great. If you love Property management then this is for you. They don't micro manage and they allow you to shine in what you do. I would recommend MAA to anyone who is looking for work
Pros
pay is low

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8