MAA

MAA Employer Reviews

Overworked and underpaid
leasing agent (Former Employee), sanford FLFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: activities and dinners
Cons: overworked understaffed and underpaid
Vicious corporation.employees have to do 12-13 hours of work in 8 hours sometime they have to stay on their own time to complete the job because they don't approve overtime.quarterly bonuses are virtually nonexistent any more.some properties garbage situation is out of control and employees have to work under unsanitary conditions.The property runs understaffed and with no groundskeeper the property doesn't look clean.the demands of the upper management are unreal!
Promised one thing got another
Leasing Agent (Former Employee), Columbus, GAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: worked close to home. beautiful office to work in. no much else to be positive about.
Cons: i have been disrespected, mistreated and yelled at by my peers.
Was promised in my interview that I would be hired temporary as a Leasing agent and would receive $60 per unit I leased. I was not allowed to tour properties nor lease. It was explain to me on my last day that I don’t need to be touring or leasing to be a leasing agent. That’s odd because the title of my position, “leasing agent ” is leasing property not only that I was not allowed to make any commission. I was only paid hourly.

I felt I could have been utilized far more than what was given to me. I have a BA and had been a Realtor for years.

All together my impressions of some the employees has been poor. By standards of where I have worked previously, I have been disrespected, mistreated and yelled at by my peers.

Advice to Management
Don't pick favorites and never underestimate what your staff is doing when your not around.
Was a great place to work before the company merge
Managment (Current Employee), not mentionedJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: beautiful work place, great residents and pto
Cons: understaffed, micro-manage
MAA does not provide enough staff in the leasing office. Two people run the show and if one is sick the other is left alone with no days off. There have been many times that I work 6 days a week due to staff being sick or off. There are a lot of responsibilities and stress on the properties mostly because understaff.
The best part of the position is our residents and MAA properties are lovely and the leasing office's are lovely.
When I first started my career with MAA it was a great place to work and we were all know by our names and respected. After the merge in 2013, it changed. We became a number and the personality of the company changed.
I have enjoyed my years with MAA and do hope someday they will find a way to bring back the values and personality they left behind.
MAA is the best at training and equipting you learn all you can about the business.
Company's Core Values Sunk after "Merger"
Property Manager (Current Employee), Mid-SouthOctober 20, 2014
Pros: okay pay, insurance good but expensive, bonus structure if attainable
Cons: poor communication to the properties from rvp and senior positions, loss of focus on customer service and employee relations
MAA was an absolutely wonderful company before the merger in September 2013, actually the best company to work for in property management. Then after the merger, especially after January 1, 2014, the company's top people have forgotten the "core values" that MAA wants to brag about so much. Everyone used to have a name but it's has become where everyone is just a number. Your number is either determined by occupancy, GOI, survey numbers, or the ridiculous Lead2lease numbers. I would have never imagined feeling that ones job with company would feel threatened on a daily basis until experiencing it myself now. Everyone knew your name, it was like a big family, the feel of the company and the direction has taken a sharp right turn and is not a company that I nor many others would recommend. The pay has been pretty good but when budgets are made to make one fail and not achieve bonuses, they are just average or even below average. It's sad that once the greatest company of employee rention and the importance of customer service is now a company focused on dollar signs and "get rid of" employees that have great tenure and have proven success. The new core values should be money, profit, money, profit, and money. Drop customer service to the residents and great communication/relationships with the employees! Do the right thing to make the most money at every possible moment or you'll be cut!
Great Experience
Regional Property Manager/Regional Trainer (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 22, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: job growth
Great company, great people. This company is always looking for ways to better the company and advance.
Great Company
Senior Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 9, 2014
Awesome company that invests a great deal in their employees. The education and support received is superb
not friendly place to live or work because of management
sarvice tech II (Current Employee), georgiaAugust 5, 2014
Pros: perfect hours, decent pay and pto
Cons: horrible management, tell you one thing then do another
property is micro-managed to death...some employees were great..others would smile at you then stab you in back..corporate only cared about the occupancy numbers so when they fell it was maintenance and make ready teams fault...property manager was extremely unpleasant to even hold a normal conversation with..company also told us we acquired Colonial properties yet all computer sytems changed over to Colonials,property is old !! Wouldn't recommend to anyone unless you are desperate for a job or a place to live
Great Culture with tons of opportunity
Property Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 4, 2014
The company offers a great support system and culture. Great leadership and support on a daily basis.
This company tolerates racism and cultural bias. Property Managers have no people or true management skills
Do not want to disclose (Former Employee), USMay 17, 2014
Pros: benefits seem decent
Cons: everything else
Do not work for this company if you are a minority or are from another culture. They don't understand or support diversity in any form and seem to have a very high tolerance for racist views and cultural insensitivity. The Managers have no true management training. They seem to stick people in these jobs who are good at leasing but not managing people. Property managers are idiots on a power trip .
Even from a property management and Industry standpoint this company seems backwards. There are better companies to work for and better places to live.
could be worst
tecch (Former Employee), ocalaMarch 12, 2014
Cons: if they can, they will do it
learned that you get lot of time off for vacation but they make their own rule how many week you can take at the time
this company just got a lot bigger
Lead Service Technician (Current Employee), Woodstock , GaFebruary 13, 2014
I love working in a fast paced environment ,it makes the day go by fast
Job Security - 5; Management - 1; Forward Thinking - 0
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), AtlantaMay 22, 2013
Pros: won't get fired....
Cons: ..... but you can be sold off through portfolio changes if they don't like you.
That is all that needs to be said. Many of the reviews here are correct, especially for the south region. I wont repeat those sentiments although I fully agree. If you are looking for a job, this place is great. If you are looking for a career, please look elsewhere, especially if you have any ethnicity. I witnessed the white-washing of two properties, and that is nothing to take lightly.
Play the politics, you'll be fine
Support Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GaMarch 26, 2013
Pros: competetive salary
Cons: dated practices and
They got me with the smiles and the corporate philosophies. Great concepts but surely every property level situation is not the same. I learned quickly that the culture is one that requires you to be with the company for at least 10 yrs to be respected. If your manager has been with the company forever, they are automatically part of the " inner circle" and they can operate the affairs of the property how ever they feel and be just fine. Just make sure everything looks neat and clean, hang a few balloons when "Memphis" comes to visit and all is well. Feed back is not respected or appreciated.
Very dated in their corporate philosophy; fresh ideas are not embraced. There is a " band aid" process for broken property level practices. Low team morale. Horrible Ensembles! Very very dated in their approach to sales and marketing. Collection process makes it impossible to work with residents. Forget getting a bonus!
But if you stay long enough and nod and smile you will do just fine. Leave your creativity, imagination and drive for success at home; no room for change.
Highly disappointing.
Stable job with decent hours
Client Lease Coordinator (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: co-workers, work-load diversity, benefits
Cons: pay, autonomy
There is much phone work and face-to-face interaction at this job. Management is helpful and has an open-door policy. There is a handful of personnel which work together exclusively as a team on multiple projects. The hardest part of the job is accommodating the overall community with it's different wants and needs. I like being apart of the full-cycle of process of leasing. There are many processes and orders to the processes. Organization and people-skills is a must.
Good company but just like any other mgmt. company.
Support Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, Ga.January 25, 2013
Pros: great staff, wonderful company, incentives, some of the best benefits.
Cons: restructing needed, employee support not there, employee morale needed
MAA is a great company the South region is the problem and needs a complete make over. I was fooled with the good benefits and the smiles from the start. But this company is just like any other property management company. THe company as a whole has great values, but there are different values at each property depending on who your surpervisor is and what her values and morales are. Compensation was average and they have a weird evaluation policy that makes it hard for you to get a raise. There is good job security I never worry about my job, because I love doing what I do, although advance is a issue. This is something that definetly needs to be worked on. It's all about who you know and you better know the right people in your region. As far as managment it really depends on what region you work within. I have a great work/life balance, this I love.
Busy, but not rewarding
Grounds Tech (Current Employee), Lexington, KYDecember 13, 2012
Pros: independent, always something to do
Cons: no way for me to advance, everything i do is undone, repetitve
On my typical day I come in at 7 AM to start cleaning the office and opening up. Then around 8 o'clock my supervisor, manager, and a coworker come in to start their day, so I head out on a property walk. after I finish my walk I have to water the plants, change trash liners in the public trash-cans, blow leaves, pressure-wash, and make sure the dumpster areas are clean. Some days I get everything done very quickly, so I report to my supervisor who sometimes has maintenance jobs for me to do. Every day usually holds a surprise somewhere.

The hardest part about my job is that I can spend all day on a task that needs to be done, but the next day my work has been completely undone.
Not the best company to work for
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2012
Pros: residents
Cons: pay, upper management, insurance, lack of organization
The company as a whole is OK but my region was not so great. The cultural values that have been put in place were not displayed. Management does not listen to the concerns of the employees. Residents were not treated with respect by upper management at all. A lot of favoritism was evident.
Great company
Support Manager (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 2, 2012
I've really enjoyed working here. Just like all jobs there are some things I'd change, but the list is pretty short...all in all I'd certainly recommend it.

About MAA

We believe it is only through our greatest asset, our associates, that we transform properties into communities, and apartments – Read more

MAA Salaries