MAC Cosmetics Employee Reviews

retail is hard
MUA (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 27, 2017
Retail hours are unpredictable and getting full time is difficult unless you're willing to move around quite often. Fun place to work but not for long term.
Fun and Exciting work enviorment
Freelance Make-up Artist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 25, 2017
• Assist customers and provide information on vast array of products in the store
• Provide excellent customer service and make-up applications to all clients
• Demonstrate ability to work well under stressful conditions while maintaining a positive attitude
• Conduct one-on-one client consultations to identify skin care needs and answer questions regarding product line
Pros
Always able to learn something new and meet awesome people
Cons
No benefit or incentive for freelance artist
high expectation with good challenges but terrible management
Makeup Artist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 24, 2017
I enjoy my actual job of working at MAC being a makeup artist and sales associate. However the expectation is higher than what they initially tell you and any sort of benefit or gratis is not that great. The manager and management is terrible as well where I worked.
the worse part is the managers do not leave you alone on your days off. I always feel stressed and at work even on my days off.
Pros
the pay
Cons
horrible job/life balance; terrible management
Lots of growth opportunity
Employee (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 24, 2017
Great place to work if you like to be challenged. management will always push you to your limits in good ways and sometimes not so great. The workplace is always fun and creative.
Pros
lots of room for growth
Cons
work/life balance
Fun, creative but can be very stressful
Makeup Artist/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 19, 2017
I love this job! The benefits are very generous! I meet amazing people on a daily basis. I get to do makeup on people everyday and get to be creative. The hardest part of this job is the sales goals are very high and can be quite stressful! Also, We don't get weekends off so I never can do family activities with my family.
Pros
Free makeup
Cons
No weekends off
Productive and Positive work place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 19, 2017
My experience while working as a Mac Cosmetic Store manager was a great experience. Each day was extremely varied and ever changing. I learned to multi-task along with developing a strong innotive team which always over exceeded thier sales goals along with immaculate customer service. Mac provided diverse employment which gave the workplace culture an advantage over most cosmetic stores. The hardest part of the job was working long holiday work hours and not being able to spend time with family. The most enjoyable part was accomplishing and understanding the companies goals.
Pros
Benefits, Vacations, and Volunteering
Cons
Working lunch breaks
Fun, Great company to work for
Artist (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEApril 18, 2017
Great company for a makeup artist to work for. Fun atmosphere, and great benefits. Feels like a family. Can be exhausting, tiring, and stressful at times, but you get that with every job.
Fun working environment
Product Specialist, Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 12, 2017
Great Company to work for, very knowledgeable staff, fun fast paced environment. Staff is friendly, professional beauty advisors. Typical day includes customer service and makeup applications, customer involvement is the best part of the day whether a person is new to trying our products or a loyal customer there is always something new to provide and or show and teach.
Productive and fun place to work
On-Call Freelancer (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CAApril 12, 2017
I have been at MAC for 6 months and I love it, my team is the best. They're all very helpful and supportive. Love being able to help customers with their needs and seeing a smile on their faces.
Great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2017
This place is all about sales more then the artist side of things. You have to hustle. However, great place to learn and grow your career. The classes they offer are great
Pros
Great pay
Great Energetic Work Enviroment
Artist (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAApril 9, 2017
Great place to work. Team building and overall customer service skills are a plus. Ability to learn every aspect of the beauty industry is celebrated in this Enviroment. Polished appearance and makeup artistry skillls are a plus
sales driven yet inspiring place to work
Freelance Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 5, 2017
Have to open availability whether you are part time or full time. Have to be in current position for at least a minimum of 6 months but most advancing takes up to a year or more. To work with talented artist is so motivating and inspiring. Depending on who the counter manager is dictates the workplace culture. Position is more Sales driven than focused on artistry. Metrics can become overwhelming to achieve. Metrics are constantly changing. The best place to work is at FSS ( Free Standing Store) however that takes a lot of skill, connection with managers and prayer. I Inspire to inspire. I love customer connections and making an everlasting impact. Events are fun to participate in. You must be passionate in order to be successful
Pros
FUN
Cons
Store metrics
Fun work place with very helpful employees
Freelance Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 3, 2017
Working at MAC has allowed me to have hands on experience that I couldnt have got anywhere else. Everyone is very helpful and kind. The product is always flying off the shelves and it's a fast pace environment.
Pros
Freelance work hours
Cons
Hours not always promised
Great Company but not Perfect
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 2, 2017
Loved my years working for MAC. However I found myself stressed out working every single weekend. And it takes a toll on you after a while. I'm not sure if some stores have changed their policies but if they did then I'm sure it's a lot less stressful working there.
Pros
free makeup, awesome trainings, gain lots of experience
Cons
work every weekend, stressful sales
Terrible company
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2017
No work life balance unrealistic expectations too many focus's not enough communication or structure. Very catty no sense of teamwork or team spirit..
Fun workplace, positive, fast pace.
Retail/Make-Up Artist (Current Employee) –  Inland Empire, CAMarch 30, 2017
I worked with Mac for 4 years as a permanent artist and had absolutely no life. While working for mac you think it's all fun and makeup, but it's not. As a permanent artist you are held to very high expectations that are expected to be met even if the brand is down across the board. How are we suppose to bring in business when no one is shopping in stores anymore. You are pounded with goals after goals and written up monthly if not met. You work every single weekend and holidays. If you want to have a day off you better put a request in months in advance and there's still no guarantee. I've had to step down to a freelance artist due to my job being threatened as a motivation. Did not work for me, so now I am so happy not to be a permanent artist anymore, just freelance.
Pros
Fun environment, makeovers, you get to express your individuality.
Cons
Work every weekend, holidays, high goals.
Very artistic and innovative company
RETAIL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAMarch 29, 2017
I loved going to work every day and seeing something new. The education program is fantastic. Upper Management very friendly. I was able to expand my Artistry skills.
Pros
Lots of free products
Cons
Health care expensive
very good job for artsy and outgoing people
Makeup Artist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLMarch 24, 2017
i would help people match their foundation, i would help customers find the perfect products for their daily routine, and i would show customers how to apply certain types of makeup in mini demos.
Pros
fun environment, employees can use all products on the floor all day
Cons
confusing layout
fast paced, fun.
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 20, 2017
Very fast paced work environment. Great discount. Continued education and training. Fun activities outside of work. Amazing product and met a lot of great people at this job.
Pros
Positive work environment, team work.
Cons
Missing breaks because we would be so busy.
Creative playground
Certified MAC Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2017
Any makeup artist would enjoy working in a store where they get to play with makeup all day and create new looks on clients. But keep in mind that this is a job and you have priorities every day.
You have a daily sales goal to meet, you have to stay on top of fashion trend with makeup and clothing, stay personable, open minded, and treat every client the same, keep your store clean and presentable, and ALWAYS be a team player.
Your fellow artists are your coworkers, you are with them every day. They become family. Not just in your work life, but every day life, remember to treat everyone the way that you would like to be treated.
There will be days when you don't meet your goal, you have a client that gets discouraged and doesn't like the look you gave them, or you are not getting along with a fellow employee. Remember that these days are off days, and everyone has them. Keep your chin up and know that tomorrow will be a better day.
Working for MAC Cosmetics IS a retail job. Your schedule will not be a 9-5, Monday thru Friday. You will have to wake up early to open or work late to close. You will not have a full weekend off unless requested 6 weeks in advanced. And sometimes you may not be honored your request off. Especially if it is a weekend of an event.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAC Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2