MAC Cosmetics Employee Reviews in United States

Love this job!
Professional Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2016
At any counter, the team's are always amazing. Working as a freelancer/on-call artist really gave me the ability to experience how it would be as a MAC artist. This job is always fun and always so many makeup applications!
Pros
Experience
Cons
Hours
Great place!
Freelance Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMay 24, 2016
I love the energy, the people, the managers and the way they allow our creativity. As a newby i was welcomed with open arms. My co workers are all very friendly and helpful. The hardest part is getting to know where everything is. There is a ton of products. The best part of the job is being accepted for who i am regardless of what i look like and letting me be as creative as i want.
Pros
Letting us be who we are.
Cons
As a freelancer i have no benefits.
Creative Atmosphere!
Permanent Artist (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 24, 2016
MAC has offered me the opportunity unlike any other job I've worked at. Being apart of this company is awesome, creative, and challenging all at the same time.
Pros
Makeup
Cons
Retail Hours
Overall Review
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2016
I really didn't know what it meant to be a makeup artist until I started working for MAC Cosmetics. I worked at a partnered location, MAC is a fast paced environment, and the most diverse. This is the only company I call home, I would love an opportunity to work for MAC again even if I'm hired as a freelance artist.
Pros
MAC was and still is my best teacher, it really prepares you for the industry both retail, corporate and freelance.
Cons
Not using this company's resources to better yourself and grow.
Mac and life
Permanent Retail Make-Up Artist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 18, 2016
Don't work with school due to understaffing in locations, which is a personal problem, aren't supportive of other's views of the business,

NO weekends off unless requested or favorite

Lack of professionalism and very weak when it comes to being firm.

I loved it the first few months but under all the new changes and lack of commitment to us (employees) I no longer feel like they care for keeping their employees happy they just want money.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No weekends, long shifts, holiday hours suck! no flexibility with you but you must be flexible with them!
Fun and creative
Freelance Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 12, 2016
A typical day at mac would be busy and fast paced, interacting with all types of customers. The most enjoyable part would be doing what I enjoy to do which is working with cosmetics and helping customers enjoy it as well.
It's a rough field
Freelance Artist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 4, 2016
the fashion/makeup industry is very competitive and MAC sets the standard for whats in fashion currently. It's a great environment to learn technique from other artists
Pros
pays well
Cons
the culture is edgy
not so fun
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 4, 2016
repetitive work day
No direction
No room for growth
Management doesn't care about employees
Lots of people quiting
work somewhere else
Great store,
MAC Senior Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 20, 2016
beautiful environment with people who really care.working here felt like a family environment. I would gladly go back to working at this store.
Pros
great people, employee discount
Cons
store hours and holiday hours
Amazing creative environment, where everyone is like family.
Makeup Artist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 10, 2016
I absolutely love working for this company. Its a fun-loving, creative and professional environment. It is also a very giving company and cares a lot about the people.
Good place to work if you are not on a military base
Makeup Artist / Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAApril 3, 2016
Will not provide one at this time. I think the atmosphere is allot better working in a stand-alone MAC store -vs- a military exchange store. You cannot get the full effect of being a makeup artist because the rules are different and very conservative.
MAC is a fast paced, exciting, and fun place to work, with room for growth, and unending education opportunities.
Full Time/ Freelance Artist/ Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  California/TexasMarch 13, 2016
MAC is ideal for any upcoming makeup artist to begin their career and grow in the field. It is always on the front line of fashion and trends, making the way for new ideas and creativity.
Productive and Fun environment. Fast growing Company.
3rd Key manager (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at work:
Clock in and review Day and week sales goals, TB with manager of tasks that need to be done EOD, TB with team on day goals and individual. Help customers with products and apply makeup. Show and teach customers. Coach and develop the team throughout the day. Record hourly sales and deliver to team on hat needs to be reached for the next hour. Manage breaks and lunches. Work with management team throughout the day to maintain a fun and workable environment. Motivate team all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job:
Coaching and developing the team and seeing results.
Making people beautiful and feel good about themselves.
The hardest part of my job:
Giving constructive feedback to the team.
Best Place to Work!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSMarch 10, 2016
Working at MAC was so wonderful! I miss MAC. and fell in love with MAC. I still wear their product. I learned so much about makeup application and skin care.
Pros
being apart of the company
Cons
hours
Very cool atmosphere!
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 8, 2016
It's a great place to work at but being a freelancer is super hard and requires some commitment because getting a permanent position is very difficult. Almost makes it not worth it. You need to have another part-time in order to live basically. The hours aren't enough and aren't set in stone. But when you actually get to work its a lot of fun.
Creative and inspiring with hands on customer service
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, SCMarch 3, 2016
Enjoy makeup appointments the best, one on one time with customers is really interesting and exciting. Multitasking is key which my hospitality background really prepared me for. My management was excellent and clearly outlined my duties and provided very influential feedback.
Love it!
Certified MAC Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJFebruary 21, 2016
I really loved working there and I love the Makeup the Clients, I really loved making them feel beautiful and seeing them happy.
Pros
Clients, Meeting New Clientele for freelancing, Gratis. Discount
Cons
Cleaning
Pay's great
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 20, 2016
If you get in a good store then it's really good. Depends on the manager of the store and how she runs it. The pay's good but you are busy ALL THE TIME! Haven't seen the benefit package yet because hardly anybody's full time.
Cons
on your feet too much
Great environment to grow in as an artist, but also as a communicator.
Key Holder/Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 19, 2016
MAC Cosmetics was a stellar company to be apart of. I learned so much more at this job than I ever could have in makeup school. At MAC you get into so many different situations which allows you to become better prepared for the unknown! Not only did my level of makeup artistry improve with this company, but my level of customer service also reached new heights. I absolutely love working with people, and this job allowed me to become great at building and maintaining relationships with my clients. There really isn't anything to complain about when it comes to this job. MAC Cosmetics is all about expressing your creative side, love marks, and personal growth. What more could you ask for?
Pros
Being trained by the best of the best. Constantly staying relevant in the beauty industry, and keeping up on the new makeup trends.
fun place to work with unique culture
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Mac is a great company to work for. An average day is filled with hard work, but knowing that you're making a difference in a lot of different types of women's lives. Your coworkers become your family, especially smaller locations with small staffing. Management in my experience has been extremely supportive, and push you to become better workers, and makeup artists. The hardest part is meeting your goals in slower times, but it is possible through outreach and your loyal clients who come in for every collection. But my favorite part is really making the difference for women who have specific challenges, be it health, skin struggles, or unfavorable features, and turning it around and making them feel beautiful. That's the most rewarding part.

4.2