MAC Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Fun and layd back work atmosphere
Inventory/coordinator (Former Employee) –  Queens nyFebruary 22, 2018
I would love to work their again but next time as a full time not just seasonally . Great work structure and a really great place to test my skills....
Always fun and welcoming enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2018
This job is very uplifting and fun and environment. They have an awesome diverse team of ethinicty and everyone enjoys their job the same. Everyone is loving to one another and is informative. They are willing to teach and give advice when asked for or when needed.
Inspired
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIFebruary 20, 2018
I loved most how collaborative my job at MAC was. Everyone worked together in a really beautiful way. Unfortunately, I worked at MAC when the economy was in a really bad way and people weren't spending money. My counter manager and I were the only people at our counter to meet our monthly sales goals. My biggest frustration was in the new policy that was put in place where you were penalized for only selling one item. I believe in up-selling, but I believe in giving the customer what they want more. I think as a makeup artist, your first loyalty is to the women/men that you serve. If a woman comes in just to replace her lipstick, I will ask if there's anything else she needs, but I think it's unfair to pressure her to purchase anything else. Soft selling has always been my strategy and it's met with greater results. People don't like being sold to, they want to feel they are being given information and then allowed to make their own decision.

I really enjoyed the culture, which at the time I worked at MAC was extremely focused on being cutting edge, while remaining approachable. The company really invested in their employees.

Spring/Fall updates and certifications were always inspiring and exciting.

I enjoyed my customers more than anything else. Multiple women hugged and cried on my shoulder as they told me how they have never felt so beautiful in all their lives. That was what kept me going, that is why I did my job.
Pros
training, discounts
Cons
sales strategies
High energy fast paced high demand working environment
Retail artist (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAFebruary 19, 2018
This once dominate cosmetic company has become a laughingstock. They keep changing the quality of the product, replacing once pigment rich colors with fillers and low end ingredients. They constantly are changing policies and rules confusing not only the customers but the employees. Launches are too frequent and seem thrown together just to get it on counter/in store.
They treat employees poorly and only care about making numbers. Goals are astronomical and at times almost impossible to obtain. They cut positions from full to part time in order to avoid having to offer insurance and rarely hire positions that offer it. Employees used to receive gratis from each product launch allowing employees to wear and sell products. This once great perk has recently been discontinued. It was heartbreaking to see the decline of this once great leader in the industry.
The Best experience but need to grow
Sales Associate, Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 18, 2018
A lot of changes are occurring within the company, I feel when I got the job the company was completely different. Competition is cutthroat these days and I don't agree with the way they are handling it. However, the experience I would not be able to get anywhere else. You learn and grow so much just from being on that sales floor and doing makeup every single day. 100 percent made me the artist and person I am today. I would always return to mac it was my first love and still is.
Pros
discounts, makeup, paid time off, experience, training
Cons
no time for family, even part time feels full time, they expect you to be there for everything
Exciting productive Work Experience
Professional Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 15, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at MAC Cosmetics. This job wasn't just a job but a lifestyle. I enjoyed making women and men feel better about themselves through the art of makeup.
This job also taught me how to work commission based and learn how to meet, and excel through weekly goals. The hardest part of the job for me was the communication with management. I worked at a store that was constantly going through different managers so it was hard for me to communicate with them because there were at times a new manager every week. I enjoyed working with makeup, and being able to change lives with my artistry of makeup.
Pros
Gratis, Team building, education
Cons
Strict breaks, and old time clock system.
Productive and always busy
Artist (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 15, 2018
Best part of the job is the people you meet, along the way. Focusing on artistry, and truly getting the enjoyment of being yourself. Great benefits!!!
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
No Weekends
love my job
Third Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTFebruary 15, 2018
This is a place where the harder you work the more you will be rewarded. I would like to include I have met some of my closest friends while working here. work becomes more like home and coworkers are more like family.
Pros
always learning something new
Cons
a lot of multi tasking
Loved this job!
Fulltime permanent Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAFebruary 13, 2018
Fun environment, great management, amazing opportunity to express ones creativity. Great employee discount. Overall, my only complaint about this job is OUCH your feet will hurt since you aren't allowed to wear comfortable shoes. All in all I HIGHLY recommend working for MAC!
Pros
Fun, discounts, fun, fun, and fun
Cons
your tootsies will hurt
Not always what it seems
Assistant Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 12, 2018
There are perks a plenty, the discount is great. But tools for your success weren't always available to you. There seemed to be an unfair expectation of: ask less, and take the initiative... To the repercussions of making a wrong choice in the subjective opinions of management. Why hire someone for their insight and talents, what they bring to the table... And not use it? There were great times, great artists, great trainers, but there were also times the acceptance of diversity didn't seem as real as what's in their credo.
Fun job
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDFebruary 10, 2018
Decent job, Very time consuming. Not much time for life outside of work. Room for advancement. Must be willing to give up a lot of free time. I would reccomend this job if you want to work full time
Pros
Discount on makeup
Cons
Free time
Fun yet Hectic
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAFebruary 8, 2018
It's a day to day challenge. You never know what you're going to walk into at MAC anything from processing shipment to dealing with high volume traffic. And getting asked the exact same question by different customers 50 times a day.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Personal life balance
Best job ever
MAC Artist (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 7, 2018
I made the most incredible friends working here. I began as a permanent artist and I’m now a freelance artist due to the demands of my personal life. Amazing environment. Amazing people.
Extremely fun place to work
MAC Artist (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 5, 2018
I usually helped clients with makeup application as well with providing them knowledge to some of the products. It was extremely fun just because I was able to work with something that I love to do.
LOVED working at MAC!!!
Freelance Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNFebruary 2, 2018
The team I got the chance to work with always made it so much more fun. We were always working with a customer no matter how slow traffic was in the mall. Mac counters are always busy (at least the one I was at.) Loved my team but sadly, I wasn't getting enough hours.
Pros
Time flies by quickly.
Cons
Have to pick up hours available.
Management is a joke
Freelance Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 2, 2018
Even as a freelancer, they literally just hire anyone who can do make up regardless of any actual training. They do not have benefits or even a discount that comes with the job. They treat freelancers as expendable assets when we do nothing but help and assist. It is wayy too complicated to get a permanent position unless you've been with the company for 15+ years. Don't try to transfer because your management will just ghost you after you relocate and eventually you become inactive because no one will return a call or put forth an effort to make sure you're working.
Pros
high hourly pay
Cons
no additional education or training, management sucks
An amazing opportunity to grow, with a price,
Makeup-Artist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 30, 2018
I loved the ability to thrive and grow with advanced opportunities to learn and tailor your artistry and communicative skills you wouldn't get anywhere else.
Company has changed
Freelance Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJanuary 26, 2018
Fell in love as a consumer based off the companies focus of trend and technique. as time has progressed the focus on srtistry has declined and sale has become the primary concern and aim.
Amazing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 24, 2018
I received my start as an makeup artist at Mac. I learned so much and received a lot of clientele. Definitely a great job for any makeup artist to learn about sells and to hone in on your skills
Cons
Work every weekend
Fast Pace Work Place
Makeup Artist/Sr. Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 22, 2018
Working for MAC was a overall good experience. I learned alot because I worked with all types of clients. It was typical as far as retail hours. Very big on sales!
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Working weekends and holidays