MacNeal Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Great program and excellent staff
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJanuary 12, 2016
The staff at MacNeal is very knowledgable in every aspect of Cardiac Rehabilitation. The staff would come in and check the crash cart, get the cardio equipment ready, and turn the TV and music on before the start of the day. Then all the patients would get logged into the telemetry system and have their blood pressures taken. Once class started, everyone was advised to take two warm-up laps and then get on the equipment of their choosing. After about 5 minutes of the patients on the equipment, exercising blood pressures were taken and they would either stay on the same piece of equipment or switch at their leisure. They stayed on the cardio equipment for about 40 minutes total. After 40 minutes, the patients did two laps and grabbed weights and completed a 10 minute resistance exercise session. It was followed up by two cool down laps and stretching, as well as an exit blood pressure. This happened for 6 classes on phase 2 days. The rest of the day was doing new patient orientations as well as putting patients into Orion. The hardest part of the job is simply keeping up with everything. There is something to do at every moment of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the patients hearts get stronger with each session and then seeing how much they have improved at the end of their 36 sessions. The most gratifying feeling out of everything is having a patient tell you that you changed their life for the better.
Pros
Good equipment, friendly staff, great procedures
worst place
Unit secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILDecember 2, 2015
Worst place to work, if you are not a nurse or a physician then you are worthless, you get treated like a slave and no respect given from the Physicians and or nurses. Most of the time the Supervising physician complaint about how they hated the job, they treat patients with no respect and don't care about the patients feelings. Nurses would constantly received bonus and overtime while the non physicians and non nurses would not be consider for these rewards. Management needs to treat all staff equally and respect the non nurses staff. Staff is underpay however they will work you without any lunch or breaks unless you ask in advance. But the hospital will seek your assistance for translating. they will use you like a rag doll.
Pros
made friends with some nurses
Cons
30 minute lunch but must work 12 hours straight.
What a fantastic place
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILNovember 3, 2015
MacNeal hospital is a U.S. News and world report top 100 hospital. It is not a dump run by assclowns.
Hospital leadership is amazing
Pros
Amazing health benefits and generous 41 dollar per hour electricians rate
Cons
People envious of my 41 dollar wage- do not be a hater!!!
Multiple culture environment challenging and rewarding.
Senior Physical Therapist-Varied (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILOctober 27, 2015
Supportive staff, limited growth potential, flexibility of schedule, balance volume.Good continued education allowed.
Productive and fun place to work
Telemetry Registered Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILSeptember 26, 2015
A teaching hospital, multicultural population, the residents are always available right away to help and answered questions. the most enjoyable part of my job is working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Good benefits, teaching hospital
Cons
understaff
Great atmosphere, great coworkers, great team, great communication, great leadership
Behavioral Health Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILSeptember 21, 2015
I work as a registry case manager. It is flexible hours mostly weekends and holidays. Some registry workers help out on evenings. The behavior health department is great. Leadership is supportive and everyone is friendly. The job culture is great and you meet a lot of different patients that have experienced so much. The staff really goes over and beyond for discharge planning and collaborates medically when needed. A typical day includes completing assessments for new patients and running groups. You also interact with family members and assist with discharge planning. There is definitely an overall team environment within the behavior health department that makes the work less stressful.
There aren't any major cons but it would be great if the hospital moved towards electronic charts and documentation. For the case managers there isn't much paperwork but the nurses have a ton. It would definitely reduce the workload and stress on the nurses if they moved to electronic records. It would be great if the case managers could diagnose but in the hospital setting that is reserved for doctors. This is definitely a position where you will be able to use a variety of clinical skills and improve your understanding of medications and medical concerns because you work under a charge nurse on the units.
Pros
free parking on weekends, free in house trainings, 401k, flexible environment
Cons
paper charts and you can't "officially" diagnose
worst company
ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES LEAD (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILSeptember 9, 2015
employees are underpaid so management can keep a high salary, worked there 4 years and recieved in total raises $0.30 cents
Okay place
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILAugust 25, 2015
Nurses were not that friendly to the students, but the patients seemed content with their care. Very organized, but didn't use computer software, was still writing down documentation.
Great workplace with great food
Dietary Attendant/Relief Cashier/Caterer (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILAugust 18, 2015
Through working at MacNeal I have learned to work in a fast paced environment and meet strict and time sensitive timelines. I have also learned excellent customer service skills through direct patient and customer interaction.
Very Professional environment to work.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILAugust 12, 2015
MacNeal is a very good place to work.
The pay is good.
They have up-to-date equipment.
Coworkers in my department were good.
Benefits are not good, especially for them to be the conglomerate that they are.
great discharge planning department and work enviroment
Case Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, IlAugust 11, 2015
A typical day is fast paced. As a case worker, you get to encounter many different types of dilemas to help solve. Each patient is given discharge planning
Corporate Level 3 Community Hospital
Recruitment and Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILAugust 4, 2015
MacNeal Hospital is a Level 3 Community Hospital that is corporate ran. They are a valued hospital in the Berwyn, IL community.
poor management
Surgical Tech (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJuly 20, 2015
unproductive work culture, uncomfortable work environment, high employee turnover, unfair treatment of employees,

great benefits, would be a great place if employees undergo sensitivity training
Fast paste and busy workplace with hard working employees
Patient Care Technician (CNA) (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILMay 14, 2015
MacNeal Hospital opened new career door for me and gave me the opportunity to advance my Nursing Assistant skills. Co-workers and managers are well educated and experienced. The hardest part of the job is to keep up with workload while short-staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the patients, getting respect and recognition from the managers and co-workers for well performed job.
Pros
Friendly environment and very well supplied workplace
Cons
Low pay compared to other hospitals
Fun Place
Patient Account Representative III (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILApril 22, 2015
The patients account department has a warm friendly environment. Co-workers were always willing to help each other with daily duties.
Pros
Wam Environment
Cons
Management was unfair
Productive Place Of Employment
patient care tech (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, IlMarch 14, 2015
I love working at MacNeal. I have learned a lot working here. I have learned to draw blood, do EKG's, abd a whole range of things. I work on Telemetry Unit and I have the most amazing and smartest co-workers anyone can ask for. My manager is the best. She is a very understanding person. My most enjoyable part of my job is meeting my patients. There really isn't a hard part of my job, it's a lot of walking but that is ok with me. For the most part, I love my job and what I do.
Pros
everyone is treated equally
Cons
more money
Being Productive
Food and Nutritional Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  3249 S Oak ParkNovember 9, 2014
Always learning something new,that can better help me to train employees. The hardest part was going back to school to get a GED so that i can learn the other half of food and nutrition. working on the floor with nurses was easy and enjoyable.
Pros
williness
Cons
cant think of any
Highly productive unit assisting with rehabilation care
Patient Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILNovember 9, 2014
Typically getting patients up in the morning and getting their vitals and glucose done, Assist patients with daily activities and get proper care as a team effort. Goals are to keep the safe, heal them and be nice to all patients. Management very encouraging and tries to assist department with ideas how to become excellent. We all work as a team to provide best care for patients. Most enjoyable part of the day is when i am passing on report to next shift knowing i have provided the best quality care to my patients.
Low job security, racist practices
RN-Registry (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILNovember 2, 2014
HR has no control of Managements employee practices. There are NO African-American managers, there are only two African-American individuals (Socialworker, Transitional Coach) working outside bedside nursing. And currently there is less than 10 African-American nurses on the entire professional nursing staff.
Enjoyable workplace with highly competent providers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILSeptember 16, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my internship was engaging with patients and their families during their hospitalization stay. Additionally, collaborating with staff during weekly meeting allowed me the opportunity to widen my understanding of the mental health field as well as sharpen my critical thinking skills. Since I was invested in the well-being of the patients I served, the hardest part of the job was learning how to clockout at the end of the day. Fortunately, I had a supervisor and staff that provided great supervision and guidance. It was extremely helpful to be in an atmosphere where teamwork is appreciated and put into action. The most valuable lesson I learned from this experience is that everyone deserves a chance to tell their story. The patients at MacNeal Hospital were eager to share their life experiences during intake assessments. Listening to them granted me the opportunity to understand their lives and, therefore, built trust and rapport. All of this translated into a more enjoyable stay and the ability to make the appropriate referrals.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough beds for patients