MacNeal Hospital Employee Reviews

I did not like working here
EKG Technician (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILMarch 5, 2017
I didn't enjoy working here. Management was very mean. I was let go because after I worked a full day I fell asleep during a semenar that I was forced to attend
productive fun and life enriching
Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILMarch 2, 2017
I loved it. It provided a lot of opportunities for growth. I loved the career coaching and management style. It was close to my house so the commute was optimal as well.
Good Experience
Volunteer on Surgical Floor (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILFebruary 23, 2017
I was a volunteer at MacNeal hospital for 6 months. They provided me with great opportunities and insight to the medical field which solidified my decision to continue school for this profession.
Great team work
ICU RN (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILFebruary 21, 2017
Great team work great compensation ..management is understanding and very helpful
Learned how to multi task and learn how to care for cardiac patients
nice lunch room
EVS Aide (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJanuary 29, 2017
nice place to work work is not hard. the peoples nice to work with
sometime the work can pretty for one person.the most enjoyable about staff nurses
Productive workplace
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJanuary 28, 2017
Helping environment, collaborative teamwork, multiple interventions and resources available for effective patient care. Some room for upward movement. Opportunities provided in both the adult psychiatric unit and outpatient units.
Productive , great culture, amazing place to work
Telemetry Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJanuary 24, 2017
Very friendly orientation, provides quality to the well being of others , patient safety is big there and they have exceptional customer service . It was an awesome place to work.
We had our own office building separated from the main hospital
Cash Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJanuary 12, 2017
You work as a team and independently on select batches to apply to patient accounts. As long as your work was done the supervisors and managers didn't visit the department often unless they had a question. I had the opportunity to work on other accounts that were not in my usual scope but I welcome any chance to learn something new.
Pros
Feeling of independence
Cons
Management turnover
Program Coordinator Internal Medicine (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILDecember 23, 2016
Great place to work. Friendly environment. The executive suite is hands on and they always make you feel like your opinion matters. Most departments work together to make this Hospital great. I love working for MacNeal Hospital; I've had great experience and I've learned so much.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Need more diversity
Pleasant atmosphere
Credentialing Specialist, Med-Dental Office (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILDecember 8, 2016
My job is very stressful but can be very interesting and educating. I have learned some new programs and strategies. My co-workers are a pleasure to work with daily. The hardest part of my job is being sure that all people I interact with are satisfied with their requests as I have responsibilities to a medical staff of 600 plus.. The most enjoyable part of my day is the accomplishments I am able to make throughout the day.
Enjoyable place to work
Exercise Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILSeptember 13, 2016
Great atmosphere. Coworkers are great. Patient population can cause some issues with language barrier but all have great attitudes.
Good staff and hours
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILSeptember 13, 2016
I love what I do as an medical assistant but it took them 3 months to train me and not because its a long process but nobody was available to train then management is never on the same page so everyone is telling you to do things differently. Other than that good staff and good hrs.
Pros
Good hrs. Weekend off
Cons
Management never on the same page
Nice Hospital
Ultrasound Technician/student (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILAugust 22, 2016
Work day full,co workers in other modalities helpful ,back then did not have transporters--so time spent transporting instead of scanning was not great.
educational
Surgery Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILAugust 14, 2016
I started in home health & worked my way up. Always a new experience around the corner. Coworkers are super friendly. The hours are good and flexible. The ride is close to home
Opportunity to learn other departments
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJanuary 27, 2016
Research patient records and pathology slides for doctors to do diagnosis. Learned importance of perfection. Hardest part of job is to be compassionate yet keep emotions under control when dealing with seriously ill patients.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
Wage ceiling
Great program and excellent staff
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJanuary 12, 2016
The staff at MacNeal is very knowledgable in every aspect of Cardiac Rehabilitation. The staff would come in and check the crash cart, get the cardio equipment ready, and turn the TV and music on before the start of the day. Then all the patients would get logged into the telemetry system and have their blood pressures taken. Once class started, everyone was advised to take two warm-up laps and then get on the equipment of their choosing. After about 5 minutes of the patients on the equipment, exercising blood pressures were taken and they would either stay on the same piece of equipment or switch at their leisure. They stayed on the cardio equipment for about 40 minutes total. After 40 minutes, the patients did two laps and grabbed weights and completed a 10 minute resistance exercise session. It was followed up by two cool down laps and stretching, as well as an exit blood pressure. This happened for 6 classes on phase 2 days. The rest of the day was doing new patient orientations as well as putting patients into Orion. The hardest part of the job is simply keeping up with everything. There is something to do at every moment of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the patients hearts get stronger with each session and then seeing how much they have improved at the end of their 36 sessions. The most gratifying feeling out of everything is having a patient tell you that you changed their life for the better.
Pros
Good equipment, friendly staff, great procedures
worst place
Unit secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILDecember 2, 2015
Worst place to work, if you are not a nurse or a physician then you are worthless, you get treated like a slave and no respect given from the Physicians and or nurses. Most of the time the Supervising physician complaint about how they hated the job, they treat patients with no respect and don't care about the patients feelings. Nurses would constantly received bonus and overtime while the non physicians and non nurses would not be consider for these rewards. Management needs to treat all staff equally and respect the non nurses staff. Staff is underpay however they will work you without any lunch or breaks unless you ask in advance. But the hospital will seek your assistance for translating. they will use you like a rag doll.
Pros
made friends with some nurses
Cons
30 minute lunch but must work 12 hours straight.
Multiple culture environment challenging and rewarding.
Senior Physical Therapist-Varied (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILOctober 27, 2015
Supportive staff, limited growth potential, flexibility of schedule, balance volume.Good continued education allowed.
Productive and fun place to work
Telemetry Registered Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILSeptember 26, 2015
A teaching hospital, multicultural population, the residents are always available right away to help and answered questions. the most enjoyable part of my job is working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Good benefits, teaching hospital
Cons
understaff
Great atmosphere, great coworkers, great team, great communication, great leadership
Behavioral Health Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILSeptember 21, 2015
I work as a registry case manager. It is flexible hours mostly weekends and holidays. Some registry workers help out on evenings. The behavior health department is great. Leadership is supportive and everyone is friendly. The job culture is great and you meet a lot of different patients that have experienced so much. The staff really goes over and beyond for discharge planning and collaborates medically when needed. A typical day includes completing assessments for new patients and running groups. You also interact with family members and assist with discharge planning. There is definitely an overall team environment within the behavior health department that makes the work less stressful.
There aren't any major cons but it would be great if the hospital moved towards electronic charts and documentation. For the case managers there isn't much paperwork but the nurses have a ton. It would definitely reduce the workload and stress on the nurses if they moved to electronic records. It would be great if the case managers could diagnose but in the hospital setting that is reserved for doctors. This is definitely a position where you will be able to use a variety of clinical skills and improve your understanding of medications and medical concerns because you work under a charge nurse on the units.
Pros
free parking on weekends, free in house trainings, 401k, flexible environment
Cons
paper charts and you can't "officially" diagnose

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MacNeal Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

MacNeal Hospital Reviews by Location