Macomb Community College

Macomb Community College Employer Reviews

Assistant to Secretary
Secretarial Assistant (Former Employee), Macomb, MichiganAugust 1, 2014
Pros: worked around my school schedule.
Cons: no benefits
Every day was a little different. Take phone calls from faculty and students and direct them to the correct phone lines. Help out the activity center with posters to be made. Make the coffee, use the copier and fax machine. Type labels on a typewriter and other correspondence that is needed. Talk to students looking for help and faculty.
Productive and fun workplace
Registration Worker (Current Employee), Warren, MIApril 29, 2014
Working at Macomb Community College is a great experience.
Wonderful office
Student Life and Leadership Assistant (Current Employee), Charter Township of Clinton, MIApril 15, 2014
Fantastic co-workers and management. Employees were treated with respect. Overall, this was a fun work environment that placed focus on the skills of the staff.
Caring staff
Tutor (Former Employee), South CampusApril 8, 2014
Great job for a beginner. Hours are variable. Students really want to learn.
Very rewarding and educational
Student Aid (Former Employee), Macomb, MINovember 13, 2013
Pros: helping others, great work environmant, good hours, independance.
Cons: part time, low pay
My typical day at work consisted of mentoring students with programming projects and other computer-related projects. I also maintained the computers and other hardware and software being used in the lab.
I learned I was able to debug programs in languages I had yet to learn, and learned more about software and hardware.
I typically worked alone in – more... the lab and the only interaction I had with other workers is when I relieved someone and I was being relieved at the end of my shift.
Management wasn't around much but when they were they were very nice and helpful.
The hardest part of my job was actually when I was off- I would go into the lab to work on my own assignments and would frequently find a line of students and/or an instructor behind me wanting my help, which I did, even though I was not working.
The most enjoyable aspect of my job was when I explained something to a student, and even sometimes to an instructor, and I gave that person their "aha" moment. – less
Difficult to advance
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Warren, MISeptember 30, 2013
Pros: helping students achieve their goals
Cons: difficult to advance.
It is very difficult to advance into supervisor positions in which I am seeking to apply my degree too. I enjoy providing assistance to those I encounter. Have a great office of co-workers.
Teaching for the Sake of Learning New Things
Instructor (Current Employee), Warren, MISeptember 2, 2013
Pros: hours, compensation
Cons: classes run 1/year, management mix ups
The C4K program was created in 2005 to bring summer classes to students involving their interests they otherwise wouldn't have access to.
The typical day would involve anywhere from 2 to 8 hours of work depending on how many classes were running on a particular day.
While working at MCC, I learned the importance of being prepared (daily and weekly curriculum), – more... but all while being flexible enough to adjust your plans should the lesson plans veer into one direction. Any coworkers in the classes were hand-selected aids, so the cohesive teamwork between myself and any assistants was never an issue.

Working with the wide spectrum of ages provided its own challenge. Whereas the younger students of the dinosaur class (5-9) and the high-school aged students (14-18) were more apt to listen to the instruction, the early teen/middle school students (11-13) would often have trouble focussing on the non-social aspects of class.
The management, though effective, as sometimes overlooked by the MCC institution. This would result in the management of C4K telling instructors one thing, while the school is giving us completely different information, and no one seemed to know which instruction to take.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students engaged and into the classwork; asking questions, having in-class discussion on the subject matter between themselves, or even doing their own work outside of class. – less
Part Time Employer
Biology Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Warren, MIAugust 8, 2013
Cons: no breaks. no healthcare. no benefits whatsoever
Hours were always fluctuating. The only new thing that I learned was cadaver dissection, and that only after I had a course in it. My supervisors were typical college professors. I didn't care for my co-workers because they were immature younger people. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet all day and then dashing to my college classes.
Typical Office Job with a Twist
Test Proctor (Former Employee), Warren, MIAugust 2, 2013
This was before college placement tests were done by computer. I had to actually sit there and watch students take their exams on paper. Then had to enter their scores into the data base. Fun job and paid great at the time!
Nice place to work, great people.
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Charter Township of Clinton, MIJuly 23, 2013
Pros: a friendly college atmosphere.
Cons: union intervention.
I would type on some forms, file, answer phones and talk and help people who walked in. I learned how to handle people who were upset and how to give information. The management was helpful and friendly. My co-workers were friendly, helpful and great friends. The hardest part of the job was helping upset people. The most enjoyable part of the job was – more... helping upset people. – less
rewarding place to work.
Grant Development (Current Employee), Warren, MichiganMay 9, 2013
I am always learning the different levels of working at a Community college. I started out in enrollment and moved up to the Grant office. I really enjoyed working with students and now I enjoy learning the ins and out of a grant.
The only part was driving to work , It was a long drive for me but besides that it was just a great place to work at.
Math Lab Tutor (Former Employee), Warren, MIApril 29, 2013
Pros: enjoying helping all the students
Cons: working late at night
I enjoyed helping all the students and the staff was just so good to work with .
Safe and quit, work place
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Warren, MIMarch 19, 2013
Pros: works with my school schedule
Cons: could not work on weekends
A Tyical day at MCC would be commucating with others, anwsering phone for different phone lines, filing and faxing papers. during my time working here, i learn how to use a type writer, well organizated, and work as a time. My co-workers are great, very helpful and understanding and so was the manager.
good job
Lab Aide (Current Employee), Warren, MIFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: you can do homework and watch tv showes
Cons: boring
Sit on the computer and do nothing all day. They job is boring but you can do whatever you want as long as you stay in the lab.
Really Quiet place
Library Aide (Current Employee), Clinton Township,MIFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: quiet
Cons: slow pace and its not productive
Overall being a library aide is a great learning experience because you get to work with different people and personalities.I basically just sit and wait on someone to come ask me a question or references.I only to to work with one other employee in each shift in which I enjoy.
Great Place to work, supportive staff and administration is awesome!
Adjunct professor- Biology department (Current Employee), Charter Township of Clinton, MIFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, and great students!
Cons: working evenings
I enjoyed teaching here, and the staff was so supportive. The administration was excellent to work for, very understanding, and provided all resources. I would highly recommend working here.
Tech II
Tech II (Former Employee), Warren, MIOctober 6, 2012
I worked in the Handicapservicess department. I worked with students, parents, couselors and professors. I removed flags off the computer when their financial aid was paid off. I filed, typed, faxed and answered tghe TDD machine. I scheduled appointments and assisted students with information regarding their college classes.
Great
Macomb tutor-Westview Elementary (Current Employee), Warren MichiganSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: the customer service
Cons: the economy
The people are nice and all made me feel great some teachers shouldn't be teachers there
Excellent place to work for part time job
Computer Instructor (Current Employee), Warren, MIAugust 30, 2012
Pros: hours, pay
Cons: i am tired at the end of the night
Currently I train MS Office 2010, Windows 7 - evenings, 2 times a week for 6 weeks per semester

Learned MS Office 2010, Windows 7 prior to training these products. Have taught for over 24 years various word processing, spreadsheet and operating systems at MCC

Don't know the other instructors but my manager is good, helpful person to work with

Nothing – more... hard about this job

Every class is enjoyable - I love teaching PC applications - all have been self taught over the 24 years working at MCC – less
Strong Organization
Adjunct Faculty Member (Current Employee), Macomb, MIAugust 8, 2012
I have really enjoyed teaching at Macomb Community College (MCC). They have truly taken care of me through the last semester. The management team is place is extremely helpful and enjoyable.