Macy's, Inc.

Macy's, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great place to hone your sales skills
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WISeptember 28, 2014
Pros: great at training you to do your job, great employee discounts, easy place to work
Cons: bad at coaching for advancement, not invested in their employees enough to provide cohesive training at all locations, inconsistant management
They helped hone me into the sales person I am today. Their sales model and the direction I received at the Eau Claire location really help me push myself to not only look for the sale but to actually HELP the customer find exactly what they are looking for.

My only disappointment in my actual position was that I was interested in advancement and they were not willing to encourage that at all. I did – more... not receive any instruction on things to improve on in order to be eligible for advancement. It's a great place to work if you like sales and like staying in a positive work environment, yet if you are looking to stay where your at and not advance.

My other disappointment is that cleanliness of location was drilled into our heads at my location, and I felt that our store was always immaculate. Yet, when I go to other locations, I do not receive the customer service I was trained on (rarely get said hi to) and I feel like the isles and dressing rooms are always a mess. I think they need to re-brand themselves and hire more people to keep up with the traffic they receive in higher volume locations. – less
Great Learning Environment
Seasonal Team Member (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 30, 2014
Pros: 20% discount and macy's money
Cons: an abundance of clothes to sell, fix, sort, etc.
Working at Macy's you learn many things that are beneficial to the real world. As my first job I went through a lot of mix feeling but in the end I got everything done, and surpassed the goals set by my managers, and I.
Large Retail Corporation
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILAugust 20, 2013
Pros: good management, fun work environment
Cons: very tiny raises, very limited paid time off. must work holidays.
Macy's has a thorough training system for new employees. Management is largely competent, even at the department level, however, the attitude of your co-workers will make or break it. They're very clear on what they expect of each employee, and have a consistent system to help employees keep track of their standing and improve their job performance. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers, and long shifts on slow days. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people find exactly what they need.
It is a great place to be a member of a team!
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), Horseheads, NYJuly 8, 2013
A typical day at work is fast-paced and eventful. Our store team is constantly putting forth a great deal of effort to make sure that the store is a clean, friendly, and productive environment. What Macy's has taught me is that when a team works together to accomplish tasks, success is sure to follow.The most difficult part of the job is the sometimes stressful atmosphere when it is crunch time, but the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your work pay off when the customers are noticeably satisfied.
Excellent Experience
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 24, 2013
Pros: "teams win" environment, opportunities for advancement
Cons: fast-paced and demanding environment strains work-life balance
My time at Macy's exposed me to the inner workings of a billion-dollar corporation. The opportunities for advancement were available to all who qualified and worked hard, and the experience gained from working there is priceless.
Job that sucks the life out of you...
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2013
Macy's doesnt think anyone has a life outside of the job. They want you to give your all and put your all into the store. Even if you get sick, death in the family, etc they will still deduct attendance points from you no matter what. Management is terrible.
Macy's creates a people to people bond and work experience
Star Service Manager/Sales Specialist (Current Employee), King of Prussia, PAMay 7, 2012
Pros: daily incentives to connect with people
Cons: expensive health benefits packages
Great work place if you are a people person. A wide range of customers with every background imaginable, from the thrifty loner to splurging superstars. The management tries to keep a motivated work flow. Macy's has it's matrix guidelines that are reasonable if you are energized to participate in the daily retail environment. My co-workers are for the most part bright and friendly. They open up only to those that want to be a viable part of attaining a positive work ethic.
Very fast-paced, dynamic, aggressively staffed work environment
Logistics Manager (Former Employee), Secaucus, NJApril 17, 2012
Pros: very stimulating work environment.
Cons: mediocre health benefits
Macy's is an extremely demanding job description, both physically and mentally for its management staff. We are responsible for several areas simultaneously, with very limited staff at all times.
It is very challenging, and skills such as multitasking, organizational, attention to detail, and managing people and processes are all essential. A typical day at work would be to review available staffing, – more... analyze and set individual work assignments, assess work volume, make adjustments as necessary. What I learned was how to effectively manage several areas/processes at once in an accuarte and productive manner. My co-workers were managers who had different areas of responsibility, but similar general job descriptions. We had to further coordiante our activities to maximize the output of the operation as a whole. The hardest part of the job was juggling all of the inherent responsibilities and meet daily goals with very lean staff planning guidelines to work with. It was also the most enjoyable part of the job in that it made you a stronger, more accomplished manager, thereby providing more satisfaction through each success. – less

Macy's, Inc. Salaries