Macy's Employee Reviews

Found 14,012 reviews matching the search
It used to be better......
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, TNMarch 17, 2016
I have been at Macy's for 3 year and have seen a lot of changes. Some for the good, some that still needed improvement. In the past year, however, the changes have been for the worse. Senior leadership have been interfering with how operations managers are running their departments. Some of these managers have been in place for years. They're coming between managers and supervisors, as well as between supervisors and associates. This has been creating a lack of trust and morale is at an all-time low. Productivity and employee satisfaction have dropped. The supervisors are being blamed without any investigation being done.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Hours, poor management, benefits
Macys Executive
Merchandise Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 19, 2016
Macys was my first job out of college. I was with the company for 6 years. There really was not any sort of work life balance. Jobs and hours were always getting cut, which means the workload always fell on to the salaried executives. Over the years they have tried working on engagement b/c turnover is always so high. Compensation is horrible. Under payed for working 50-60 hours a week. The best part of working for Macys was meeting the people that I can now call my bestfriends.
Pros
Meeting great coworkers
Cons
Compensation, work life balance
Great co workers terrible pay, benefits, and leadership
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAMarch 22, 2016
I worked for Macy's in one of their many operational support roles. I enjoyed my co workers and my direct manager was awesome however there is only so much one in his position can do. My biggest issue with the company was the pay, they took all their full time positions and cut them down to two part time positions so they wouldn't have to offer healthcare. They work their part time employees just a half hour below what would qualify them as fulltime. There was no room for advancement, departmental feuds, and extremely low morale
Pros
Cons
pay, benefits, demployee discounts
Challenging and enjoyed the customers, supportive management
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMarch 4, 2016
The job requires a percentage of sales daily per sales associate. The amount for the department needs to exceed the prior year amounts. The goal is to meet your daily goal. Management is only concern with the sales totals and the credit account opened.Most associates were not able to open the required amount of accounts per month that was required (1-3 under 30 hrs and 3-5 over 30 hrs or more).I enjoyed the sales and interaction with the customers.

I really enjoyed the opening of the credit card accounts due to the challenge. I ranked #1 in sales and opened accounts within 3 months on the job. I was also a specialist, which had added responsibilities.
Ranked 23 over 45.000 associates in the western division of Macy's.
The ultimate goal was to get the promotion for my manager & the assistant store manager.
I remained #1 in sales & opened accounts in the store until I left when they got there promotions:)
Pros
Great parking, flexible hours, great mall
Cons
if you need benefits, they tried not to give you enough hours
Good For a Temp Job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 4, 2016
It's Good Temp job, and an overall good learning experience for those entering retail. You can move around and learn almost all aspects of working at a major retailer.

Learned how to communicate with teams, build fixtures, and work with vendors.

Management is fair and reasonable both on a local and corporate level.

However, it's very hard to get promoted, even harder to get a full-time job. Pays minimum wage starting. Never once got a call back for an interview or even was made of aware of job openings because they are so scarce and filled by those who have more seniority than you.

Stressful around the holidays, but good work culture to deal with/solve issues.

Most enjoyable part of the job were the events and team building exercises. Good way to socialize, meet new people, build relationships, and have fun at work.

No job security, as you can and will get fired, even as a lack of seniority with the company. Very hard to get and use days off, very hard to get medical coverage. Not a place to build a future from.
Pros
Fun enviornment to work and learn.
Cons
Hard to get promoted, a raise or benefits, no job security.
Good for temporary part time work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 12, 2016
Macys does not value or respect their employees. They are constantly adding extra responsibility without extra compensation. Management strives by belittling their employees in front of customers and co workers. Policies are non existent and employees never know what to do and what not to do. This company unfortunately is one of the shadiest I've ever worked for. The only plus sides of the job are the hours, breaks,lunches, and the great co workers and customers you meet. This is definitely not fit for a long term job. But great for part time.
Pros
Flexible hours, hour lunches, breaks
Laid back work place
Sales (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day at work was, come in on time, clock in, find out where scheduled to work. Help customers find what they were looking for and suggest other items to go with dress, suit etc. clear dressing rooms and return merchandise to proper location. Everyone easy to work with. Usually able to take a break when needed. Management was helpful with balancing work schedule. The hardest part of the job was leaving, because we were never done returning merchandise to their rightful place and I felt bad leaving so much undone for my co-workers to finish. The most enjoyable part of the job was the look on the guests' face when I showed them just what they were searching for!
Pros
Cons
compensation
Strive to Present Exceptional Customer Service
Macy’s [Biltmore Fashion Park] (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 25, 2016
Not a lot of micro-managing...Room for advancement very quickly if Managers and CEO see talent and want to use you and help you grow within the company.

Stable company and Great History. Everybody is very friendly; not only when exhibiting great customer service but with co-workers as well.

The location I was at (Biltmore Fashion Park; Phoenix AZ) absolutely presents outstanding professionalism and staff are all very well trained and have same mindset.

Several promotions for staff as well as clients and management has an open door policy; which is phenomenal for such a large company.

I leaned many new skills and was given a lot of responsibility, which was wonderful, thank you macy's!
Pros
PROFESSIONAL, FRIENDLY & RESPECTFUL environment
Cons
VERY DIFFICULT TO GET FULL-TIME & BENEFITS
Worked with great people
Floor Merchandiser/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Greeted customers upon arrival, folded clothes, cleaned dressing rooms and cashier. Honestly didn't learn anything from the job. management was never informative usually learned about the sales from other employees or on the day of the sale. Co-workers were great met many great people that worked hard and helped keep the flow of customers moving. I didn't find anything hard about the job. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people from other parts of the world. which happen to be most of the employees and they were real herd workers.
Pros
good amount of time on lunch breaks and having 15 minutes breaks
Cons
no benefits, management could've been more informing to employees
I work in the HR office
AST (Current Employee) –  CTMarch 20, 2016
I work in the HR office so my experience is a bit different than the other reviews that I've read. I absolutely love my job. The work is very interesting and diverse. No two days are the same. I enjoy working with the associates and the managers. I'm lucky enough not to have to work evenings but I do have to put in a few weekend days a month. My biggest complaint with Macy's is the horrible wages. They in no way compare to other offices. I made the same amount 30 years ago in another office I worked before I stopped to have children. My only other complaint is that the associates are always earning Macy's money or other incentives by basically doing their job; opening credit accounts. In the office, we have no way to earn Macy's money and receive no recognition for doing our job. In the office we also do not take our 20 minute breaks, although I suppose if we had a real problem with that and brought it to someone's attention, it would be addressed. Overall it's a great job and the 20% discount is awesome!
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
poor salary
A Stressful Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMarch 10, 2016
It's a very stressful environment. Being a sales associate at Macy's requires you to do more then greeting costumers and ringing them up for their purchase. You have a sales goal everyday which makes it stressful to meet and also it brings a lot of competition with your co-workers which tends to bring a lot of arguments. You are also required to open credit, 1 card for every 20 hours you work. Also for events you have to sell coupons. You have to clean the fitting rooms and it's always a mess, it makes your back and legs hurt. Their coupons are not very specific which means you'll get a ton of angry costumers asking for a manager which makes them more angry because managers usually take sometime to get there. Also there is something about the shoppers at Macy's that make them feel like they are above you and your are there as their servant, so every now and then you'll get grumpy one's that will treat you like you garbage. The pay is low, if your older you will get good benefits, but if your working for money this will not cut it for you.
Salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 20, 2016
Providing customer service, cashier. I would great customers, ask them what their needs are and help them find their need. Then start a fitting room for them, check on them to see if they need different sizes, colors, or other items. Then I would ring them up and welcome them back. I had several regular customers that would seek me out to help them again. I learned how to provide outstanding customer service. I enjoyed working with my management and co-workers. I have worked in clothing for many years where I didn't find my job hard. The most enjoyable part of my job was having regular customers that would come back and I could help them again and they were happy to see me or asked for me.
Pros
healthcare and 401k
Cons
sometimes I didn't get a break but got use to it
Human Resource Management consisting of various job hats
Executive Offices (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 15, 2016
A typical day at work consists of dealing with any payroll related issues, time management/allocation of time allotted to each department in the store infrastructure. Hiring/Terminations done on daily basis, clocking errors and/or monitoring sales associates for time fraud or theft through various outlets. Modification of time within the peoplesoft system, maintaining accurate work information and/or details for work visas which may be expiring and updating employee information for sales managers. Attending to sales associates to determine whether there has been time inaccuracies or modifications and/or if corrections need to be made. My co-workers are all amazing people who go above and beyond to help each other as a team. The hardest part of the job are the holiday work schedules.
Pros
20% employee discounts
Cons
no benefits
Productive and Fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Being a Sales Associate at Macy's is an amazing experience to be exposed to different things every day. The Managment and my coworkers are incredible people and they make fun for me to work there. I cater to the customers and attend to their needs when they are looking for a particular merchandise. I learn how to provide the option to our customer to have Macy's store credit card the benefits they receive with the card. Providing excellent customer service and learning multiple functions of the register.
Pros
Dealing with certain customers
Cons
Experience in retail, the great management, the friendly co-workers
Big box department store
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  WashingtonDecember 12, 2015
Work life balance is difficult there is no consistency to the schedule, very hard to work another job if need be. Each manager will try to accommodate your needs, but this is a store to store experience.
Compensation is typical of other retails and benefits are average.
Advancement happens if you are willing to relocate and travel, very political you must be willing to put yourself out in the limelight.
Each store has a very different set of managers and personality.
Job culture can vary from day to day month to month, I feel as a company Macy's will make results happen at the expense of their employees concerns.
Overall I would say Macy's is an average place to work. It really does depend on what leadership you have in your store and district.You must be able to motivate yourself even when results are not happening.
Very fast-paced and repetitive
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZFebruary 18, 2016
I usually would go in to security by showing them my I.D. and then going up to the floor I work on and having a daily meeting with my co-workers about weekly achievements and everyone's daily goal. After I would get my own cart and start RePlening and Picking items that needed to be stocked. My management was very helpful along with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was working someone elses shift and the most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Pros
good food to choose from on break
Cons
no benefits
Good place to work.
SYSTEMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GAFebruary 2, 2016
Great work/life balance and compensation but lots of red tape in order to get work completed and installed.
Unlimited learning opportunities thanks to web based training.
Co workers are great.
Harderst part fo the job: Production turnover process is very slow with excessive repetition in turnover documentation.
Most enjoyable part of the job: The support received from co workers when needed is excellent.
Pros
Generous with compensation and PTO
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
Terrible place to work with little opportunity for advancement or even stable living from what you earn.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
Salary near minimum wage and no benefits. They make people fight for hours among themselves and if you log onto the shift picking website too late most hours are already taken and you can not eat for that week. Can fire loyal employees that have been with the company for years to replace them with incompetent new employees that they can pay much less at any time.

They push you to sell to everyone you see even if there is no benefit for selling merchandise to you and the majority of the time customers come to you when they want help. Employees mean next to nothing to them and all they do is push opening more credit cards and selling more to squeeze as much money out of tourists and the neighborhood as possible. Do not work here unless you have no other options, and even then, at least when you're panhandling you're your own boss.
fun environment, too big expectations
Signing (Former Employee) –  Kenwood, OHDecember 14, 2015
This company is great to work for, compensation is better than other retail stores. This company hires you for a certain job and then you end up doing a million other things. I was hired on as merch, within two months I was helping with signing and sales.
If you like to keep busy then this is a great job, just your compensation will not be the best for everything you are doing.
Remember you can say no.
managers are bullies, lazy and always getting moved around or fired. This is not stable and I wouldn't recommend management to anyone.
to get the discount they make you open a prepaid charge account, dumbest thing I've experienced.
Benefits are minimal/ nonexistent.
Pros
environment, fast paced, more hours opportunity
Cons
short breaks, compensation, expected to do more jobs than your own, management is crazy
Easy job
Merchandising Support Lead (Former Employee) –  Summerlin, NVJanuary 28, 2016
It is an easy company to work for. Depending on location, the store can be stressful or fun. There is really high turnover for this company because they under pay staff and do not hold them responsible for actions. Easy to get away with absences because of a point based system.

Do not handle ethical, moral, or policy procedures accurately and tend to stereotype the male/female environment. Males have a hard time working there due to a high women hire rate.
Pros
long lunches and breaks, simple jobs to do
Cons
pay, benefits are horribly expensive, management, commission rates, HR

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.