Macy's
7,813 reviews

Macy's Employer Reviews

Enjoy working with the customer
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Paramus, NJJanuary 29, 2015
A typical day at work is to greet and assist customers.
You cannot rush a customer must be patient.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers and helping to make a decision on their purchase.
Excellent break room, and nice tv for employees
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: birthday paid day off
Cons: no chance to move forward
Being able to teach new hires on their sales skills, and good mony to be make, on credit card enrollment, and commission.
fun and fast paced
merchandiser (Former Employee), washington,dcJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: macys money
Cons: healthcare
working at Macys was fun and fast paced it was always something to do
macys
reciving (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2015
love my work its differnt challaging and i love my job and my coworkers and i love the challange i have to do everyday and i learn something new everyday
customer service
Sales associate (Current Employee), Short Hills, NJJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: interacting with different people
Cons: sometimes few people to help out
assisting customers in store and on phone multitasking giving them the best customer service.I make sure to help them out as best as i can they have to leave with a smile on there face. working at Macy you get to learn about different things as fashion shoes clothes. learning how every customer is different. an having to get something that fits them .
Very busy department store
Work multiple departments assisting customers (Former Employee), Springfield, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Typical day was any where from chaotic to very slow. I worked the seasonal time period for the Christmas holiday. Some co-workers were very helpful. The hardest part of the job was standing on a concrete floor for hours.
Extensive training period.
Credit Granting Associate, Seasonal (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: friendly atmosphere.
Cons: seasonal work; unfortunate that it ended.
Very pleasant workplace. Protection policies/procedures to protect customers from identity theft, fraud.
alot of harships
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: free snacks sometimes
Cons: the company
a typical day at work would be clocking in then seeing a manager and working with the rods all your shift. That includes the items that's on the rods you must hang it where it belongs then do the same thing for the shift, also the fitting rooms must be cleaned every hour, picking up clothes from off the floor. I learned that I have a lot of self control and patience because many of the customers were a handful. the hardest part of the job was pushing the rods all across the store to find where what belongs. I've had co-workers who were willing to work and help keep the store looking approachable, then I've had co-workers who didn't care, just came in and didn't care how the store looked and didn't lift a finger to help.
Fun and easy with great managment and coworkers.
Sales Representative (seasonal) (Former Employee), Modesto, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: direct deposite, good hours, long lunch, lots of opportunity for more work.
Cons: no where to park on busy days
Everything was well organized. The managers were very invovled and my coworkers all worked together to help eachother. There were always customers and hardley ever a dull moment. Overall it was a very easy going and fun job. The hardest part about the job was finding items in the stalk room.
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Altoona, PAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: discounts
list of duties for the day
working with others and the management was fun to work for!
Productive and fun management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Roseville, CAJanuary 29, 2015
The management was very friendly and they always offer the opportunity to pick up additional shifts if you would like more hours then they give you. It was a great place to work and very fast paced so the time would go by fast.
Retail
Wedding & Gift Registry Consultant (Current Employee), Lake Grove, NYJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: hour lunch breaks and 20 minute breaks, readily available product information, different programs to learn
Cons: hours get cut, do not work with school schedule, tend to double up on job responsiblities
Retail is not an easy job. You deal with many different tasks in a short amount of time. As daunting as it may seem, retail truly provides an insight to the working world. I have gone from the sales floor to my own desk to demonstrate the more people-side of Macy's, the Bridal Registry department. Here I must make my phone calls, update my spreadsheets and regularly converse with my clientele to keep them in informed of our products.

You meet your good managers and your less than good managers. I love that there is the opportunity to learn the ways to speak to different people. This also truly improved my explanation skills because not everyone will understand the same explanation. It improves social skills and public speaking skills immensely.

It is imperative to work well with others and I have learned how to take leadership, when to take the commands with my coworkers and how to do tasks alone. Let's face it, you won't always have an extra hand! It gets busy during sale days and you must learn how to multi-task and problem-solve at the drop of a dime. This came to me naturally and helped me become more efficient.

The hardest part of the job is when you are given responsibilities of other coworkers in addition to your own. This is where the communication with coworkers is necessary. You cannot always cover for your coworkers. You must let them know they cannot keep piling on their responsibilities on you just because they don't "feel" like working. Sometimes they truly need my help so I feel I must help because I am their coworker. But there is always a fine line that must – more... be understood between coworkers.

The best part of my job is when I can assist my customers to the fullest. I often had customers return to thank me for demonstrating my knowledge of the products, helping them solve any problems they had and for my mannerisms. They would also would let my managers know how they feel about the shopping experience I have provided. As a result, they returned regularly to purchase more from my department with me. This is a very rewarding part of working here! – less
Worst Job I've Ever Had
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: discount, scheduling was easy, calling out sick online, coworkers that hated the job as much as me
Cons: everything else
Working at Macy's for six months was the worst decision of my life. The first two weeks, I went home in tears with blisters on my feet the size of quarters (even though I was wearing Dr Schols flats. You're not allowed to wear tennis shoes.) It was my first job where I had to stand all day. After two months, my feet were a lot tougher and I could start wearing heels and sandals.

The job consisted of getting yelled at by customers, getting nagged at by managers that weren't even in my department, and listening to coworkers complain. Every one of my coworkers complained nonstop, as did I. Everyone hated it there. They throw you into the job alone completely unprepared. Hardly any training. Most of us hardly knew how to use the register when they put us on the floor alone.

They expect you to start selling Macy's cards immediately. You have to sell at least one a day. You must ask every customer, and even if they say no, you have to ask three times. It usually ends with a very annoyed customer that gives you a lot of attitude for the rest of the transaction. Macy's cards are 50% of Macy's profit so the managers push them really hard. It got to the point where I got upset any time I couldn't sell one because the managers put you under so much pressure telling you that you'll get fired if you don't sell enough.

It's a very demanding job. I have never been so miserable in my life. I was constantly stressed out. Cleaning out the dressing rooms is another big part of your job if you don't work in a busy area. My coworkers would always go back to the dressing room just to sit for a – more... few minutes.

You're not allowed to stop and talk to anyone except customers. The dress code is very strict. And someone calls out every day so you're always short staffed. Coworkers were always leaving to go work at Dillard's because they pay a lot better, the dress code is not strict, and the job is a lot more laid back.

The only good things about the job were the discounts and how easy it was to call out sick and switch around your schedule online. – less
N/A
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee), West Covina, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Learned a lot. poor management. co-workers some great some fun, some unhappy. nothing hard about this job. most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all types of people.
Productive and interesting place to work
Commission sales Associate (Current Employee), Wayne, NJJanuary 29, 2015
Great place to learn and a good possibility for growth. Supportive co worker and encouraging managers. Hardest part of the job is cleaning up after a sale
average place to work
Sales Rep (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJanuary 29, 2015
A typical day was mostly boring unless you worked a Saturday day shift. I learned some stuff about fine jewelry and some watches. Management was okay. They didn't exactly treat everybody fairly. The hardest part was closing alone. The most enjoyable part was trying on the beautiful rings and presenting them to customers.
Good first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 29, 2015
Work was manageable, holidays are a bit of a headache if you don't manage your energy properly. Great for learning how to deal with people.
Very productive
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: great enivornment
A typical day at work is the normal morning meeting and getting the doors open. I've learned that you can work some where that you are always happy and is willing to go everyday. The management there is so wonderful. they are willing to listen and help you with any problem that have. There really isn't a hard part about this job. If you love working with people and understand that they can get frustrated at times, then this is the most easiest job you can have. The most enjoyable part about this job is the employees and the customers. they are so welcoming and eager to start your day off with a smile.
Teriible
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 29, 2015
The managers were terrible at communicating, the employees were rude to not just other employees but other customers as well. it was jut an overall bad place to work at.
Stimulation, business driven environment.
Asst. Designer of Hard Pieces and Wovens (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Macy's is all about business. How to drive sales and satisfy the customer. A normal workday consisted of answering emails, attending numerous meetings, designing for the current season, and tracking sales.

1 2 3 4 5