Macy's Employee Reviews

Found 18,171 reviews matching the search
productive and fun
Macy's Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 23, 2017
a typical day would be greeting customers and assisting with handbags.
replenish items
taking credit card and cash payments
the best part of the job was the constant discounts
Straightforward physical job on receive dock
Receive Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 23, 2017
Responsibilities in Macy's Receiving are unloading trucks, opening boxes and organizing clothing and additional accessories by department. At the end of the night, receivers run racks of product out onto the sales floor to designated departments.
Receive managers are usually friendly but expect hard work from receivers since the job is mostly physical. In-store managers usually treat receivers as unintelligent grunts.
The workplace is generally positive on the dock. Most associates seem to get along with each other and as long as the work gets done, receivers can socialize and listen to music.
Hardest part of the job may be the physicality at first. But after a few weeks of work, your body acclimates to it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the relaxed mood on the dock that coincides with the physical aspects.
Pros
Store discount, relaxed work environment
Cons
Minumum work hours after holidays, lack of advancement
Great place to work!
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHJuly 22, 2017
I loved working for Macy's. It was a wonderful learning experience. The best part about working here was the associates I worked with everyday. Management is good to there employees.
Pros
Great place to work. I enjoyed my managers and peers. Everyone was friendly and willing to help.
Cons
Not very flexable when needing time off even when you request a month ahead of time, They need to work on letting there employees take time off when they need it
Great Management Team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAJuly 22, 2017
My favorite shifts to work were from 11 am-4 pm when the store was at its busiest.The store held competitions for the employees. If your sales team opened the most credits, you get rewarded. Its also nice that employees get an additional 20% on anything they buy. This is on top of the Macy's credit card holder discount.
Pros
Occasional Free lunch, Rewards for opening Credit Cards
Not good at all.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mcallen, TxJuly 22, 2017
The managers were rude and not helpful. They would always keep me from going to my break. I wasn't given the hours that were promised during the interview, much less the pay that was promised too.They will act nice at first and make it sound amazing to work there with a decent pay but don't fall for it. Its just below average and disappointing. Nothing enjoyable about working here. Not worth it.
Pros
Nothing I know of
very productive
all kind of tasks
many hours
mutitasking
spend a lot of money
love to budget and organize and sell
Department Manager
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 22, 2017
The typical day consisted of working with Associates and Management on selling and working with customers. Primary focus was on Macy's customer service program.
It is rough in the morning at Macy's but I like it
Macy's Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 22, 2017
I loved working at Macy's. It was a great experience for me. I love the management. My store closed down. If it didn't. I would still be there.I enjoyed it. I went on Maternity leave and my job was secure. The benefits was good, you get a raise every 6 months. We got paid every week. If you open up an account, you got money. It was nice. Christmas parties at a hotel. Gift baskets for the employees. I liked it. The hardest part of the day is in the morning. You have to get everything in order,make sure discounts are going to happen.
Pros
you get paid every week
Cons
not enough discounts
Just a fun first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIJuly 22, 2017
It's a nice first job but when you have payments and and less then 12 hours a week it just doesn't cut it.
Other then that I love the job I love being able to interact with people.
Pros
Works at fast pace most times
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours
Exciting work atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 22, 2017
I enjoyed my time as a macys womens shoes sales associate. They offered a fair compensation plan and good work atmospher they also offered me a 401k plan and a good healthcare benefits
Pros
Long breaks. Fair scheduling
Cons
Sometimes too many sales people in same department
Challenging workplace that maximizes everyone's potential
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2017
No two days were the same. Always something new and different to learn. My talents were utilized to their fullest. Strong collaboration among teams. Positive work/life balance culture. Company had a number of give back initiatives that not only benefited causes on the national level, but in the local community. Best part of the job was my co-workers and work group. Worst part of the job was dealing with seasonal budget cuts and downsizing.
Pros
Work/life balance, inclusiveness
Cons
Little room for advancement due to constant downsizing and restructuring.
Poor Management & Professional Culture
Sales Manager, at Water Tower Place (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2017
This company will teach everything there is to know about retail, but fails to put in effective leaders to guide to the next step.

I worked my way through the internship and offered a full time position. If you are willing to put forth your time and hard work they may not pay off in this role
Pros
salary
Cons
horrible discount, poor leadership
sales rep
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2017
upbeat place with a variety of customers seeking assistance sometimes they are in a rush and our job as a sales rep is to assist the customer tend to there needs and make sure they leave satisfied
I really enjoyed working at Macys.fun place to work.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 22, 2017
My day or evening would start right away as soon as i clocked in which was great since I like to stay busy . I really enjoyed what I was doing as a beauty advisor helping my customers with her makeup and skincare, making her feel special and beautiful.i learned so many things working for foleys and Macys the most important thing was our customers always make the Customers happy. All the managers that I had while being employed at Macys were awesome always ready to help if you needed their assistance that is so important in retail I very seldom needed a manager I would try to care of the problem myself,but if I was not able to when ever I called the manager they would be happy to assist the customer. I really enjoyed working at Macys everybody is treated fair.The hardest part of my job was being on your feet all day but then you get we to it. What I really enjoyed about my job was making customers happy and going to classes for Clinique and Estée Lauder.
Pros
free gratis so awesome and sometimes free lunch.
Cons
Having to wear black all the time .
Fun Place to Work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 22, 2017
Difficult to move up in management. But overall a really fun place to work. Co workers are usually great unless you work in a position where you receive commission.
Pros
Easily pick up unwanted hours other people don't want
Cons
Work holidays
not so good
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 22, 2017
pay is terrible
company ways are horrible no one helps you in anything
a real big company that is all about the money and no training
kind of toss you in there
I do my work effectively and pride wirk well with my co-workers
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 21, 2017
Work well on my merchandise ensuring stock is on the floor. I keep my area neat and in order. I speak to management on a daily bases make sure stock is current and up to date
Pros
Bag hunger free lunches or breakfast
Cons
Not enough hours
Manager not very helpful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 21, 2017
I liked very much my coworker but the manager where not very helpful and changed very often. Enjoyed to work with customer for instance to help them to get the idem what they looking for. The hardest was I had to work sometimes in two department to the same time, Mens suits and men shoes that was very hard to menage.
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
most of the time I couldn't take my break and if I could the time always changed.
Never Again!
Support Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Dickson City, PAJuly 21, 2017
Macy's brought me in for an interview, then sprang on me that they had no intention of giving me the job I had applied for, but wanted to consider me for a much lower paying position. When final paperwork was drawn up after the job offer, the pay was MUCH lower than had been promised in interview. Also, was promised part time hours, and ended up "flex" (some weeks we were given 0 hours, instead of the 15-20 we were supposed to have!)
Easy job
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJuly 21, 2017
I worked at macy as a. Janitor love it. Clean had time no rush whats so ever. Was part time but still job is a job. I was looking for full time, mother of 3 kids. The pay was not enough though
Pros
No breaks part time job
Cons
Didnt have to rush smooth job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.