Macy's Employee Reviews

Found 15,726 reviews matching the search
Not the best place to work if advancement is your goal
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJanuary 27, 2017
Management was usually comprised of friends; sales associates are usually left to fend for themselves where difficult customer situations are concerned...they have a new method of calculating pay so it is very confusing. There is no associate discount on Macys merchandise other than the merchandise that the associates can wear to work.
Pros
They have a huge womens shoe department
Cons
No good benefits, no employee discount, no competitive pay
It is a fun and rewarding place to work
Flex Associate (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJanuary 26, 2017
Everyday is different, as I am on the flex team. I work in a different department every time I work.
A typical day is, greeting customers, ringing up purchases, recommending items, answering questions, keeping the dressing rooms & department, as clean as possible.
All the managers are friendly, helpful & supportive.
It is a good workplace culture, with the ability to work with younger associates. There is a good diversity of employees.
The hardest part is the long hours on your feet. It can tire a person out. The position is flex with no regular hours. Currently there are not enough hours for me to work.
The most enjoyable, when it's busy the day goes by very fast. I like interacting with the public. Making them happy & comfortable, they came in the store, that day.
Pros
Flexible hours & workdays
Cons
Long hours on your feet
I learned how to organized merchandise in order
Macy's Logistics & Operations (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTFebruary 17, 2017
A typical day at work was just scanning totes with merchandise inside, throwing them in the conveyor belt , pack merchandise ready to be delivered. I learned how to work with others mentally and physically . How to be responsible for your duties , work hard in accomplishing your goal and give your best effort. The culture in the workplace was very old style , just a lot of machines , noise more like a factory .The hardest part of the job was trying to reach the goal for the day and having to multitask while other areas were in need . The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people , practicing and trying new things in the work place and learning new techniques .
Pros
Long periods of lunch
Cons
pay for breakfast and lunch and having a hard time clocking in because of the computer not w
Excellent Opportunities for Careerist Execs
Vice President Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northwest RegionJanuary 31, 2017
If you want to move up quickly and don't mind leaving your personal life at home and standing on the backs of your employees, this is the place for you! Great compensation, great benefits, rapid advancement. Other than that, those who make the real decisions have been in the job and the industry their entire lives and they are fully prepared to eat their young during a time of weakness.

Hardest part of the job: trying to implement meaningful change for those who deserve it most...the hourly employees!

Best part of the job: making those employees feel like a million bucks every chance I got!
Development of Usefull Job Skills and Qualifications
District Director of Asset Protection (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 16, 2017
At Macys, I was afforded great opportunities to develop and improve job skill build advancement opportunities. During the course of my career I had opportunities to be challenged in new areas and develop others with opportunities to also grow in the organization.
Pros
compensation and vacation benefits
Cons
poor work life balance and annual job eliminations
This company is highly regarded for their professional customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 8, 2017
I like the atmosphere of this retail industry. The people I interacted with were helpful and friendly. Teamwork is definitely stressed throughout my employment. Good communication is a must. I observed excellent customer care. The typical day at work was to tidy up the area, assist customers with purchases, and completing appropriate sales transactions. I learned that you can't please everybody but at least try. The management was efficient and knowledgeable. The workplace culture is somewhat relaxed. The hardest part of the job was standing for the duration of the shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the great sales while shopping there.
Pros
Clean environment
Cons
Standing on hard floors for many hours
Seasonal Sales
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Training was thorough, however there was not much support from management after training was completed. I do not believe this was intentional, the company was under staffed and I think there was too much demanded from management. There was much required from associates but because of the busyness of the season, what they were asking was not very realistic. The pay was not worth all the work and there were no benefits that made staying with the company worth while. Macy's did have team rallies in the mornings and promoted team work, which was great, however from my experience the associates did not appreciate this and did not work as a team.
Pros
Flexible hours, getting shifts covered was easy.
Cons
Schedules were not given at times until the day before, no benefits
Enjoyable & educational
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 19, 2017
During the holidays, the workplace at Macy's is very fast paced. You need to be quick and have to possess a lot of patience.

A typical day at work in the fragrance department would be unpacking product, organizing the displays, picking up trash, wiping the counters, and guiding a customer in finding the best scent that matches their taste.

The workplace culture is very friendly. Everyone is always there to help with any questions you might have. The management is great. They treat everyone with respect and are easy to talk to when a problem arises.

The hardest part of the job was learning about what kind of products Macy's carries and all the details about those products in such a short time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is successfully assisting a customer find a product that they like and getting them to purchase it.
Pros
Frequent breaks, good hours
Cons
Low employee retention rate
Retail is retail
Administrative Support Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 1, 2017
This job is not terrible however, I was hired as a full time associate and I am not guaranteed the full time hours. This can cause problems with my medical benefits through the company so I may have to find an outside source for medical insurance. The work/life balance i snot very good because of how short notice you receive your schedule. Sometimes I may not know my schedule until the day before. This makes it hard to plan anything. Also, in order for myself to have an apartment and pay my bills I would need another part time job but that is not possible because there are no set hours. I have been scheduled from 11am-8pm one day and the next 6am-3pm. This job is retail and even though its administrative, you are still in the retail world.
Fun, fast learning sales environment
Sales Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 19, 2016
Loved working for Macy's as far as working in retail. Wide range of customers and always new learning opportunities. Management was always very guiding and helpful, did frequent reviews and always gave you a chance to improve in your working abilities. Did not like work ethic of some co-workers as some were not always dependable in the department. Hardest part was maintaining the sales, seemed like it depended on the season and your department always depended on the advancement of your sales. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers personally pick out items for their needs. Frequently got to assist in being a personal shopper and feel i did very well in keeping the customers happy, and gaining new customers for the store.
Pros
Great perks with sales and coupons
Cons
Low pay, not so great hours
Great Retail company that adapts to changes to stay relevant and compete in the market. Fair and Honest with employees.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 1, 2017
Fun place to work, allow for talent to grow and show their skills, promote innovation, creativity, and diversity. Macy's is a large corporation that always takes care of the associates and customers. Always changing and adapting to the new market challenges to deliver results. Working with Macys for 6 years has been a great journey and I strongly believe that there are more years to come.
Pros
Good platform for career growth and fair salaries
Cons
Need to relocate for career advancement and other benefits as health care, etc are not ideal
Underpaid and overworked
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJanuary 4, 2017
Macy's pays the absolute lowest possible salaries and wages that they can. Both executives and associates are expected to work day in and day out for low pay, terrible benefits, and "Macy's money" as incentives.
The opportunities for advancement are far and few between. Have some kind of post secondary education and relevant experience? Doesn't matter! You'll be paid below industry average every time.
Very unprofessional
Customer Experience Associate (Current Employee) –  Willow Grove, PADecember 17, 2016
Poor management, unprofessional environment, and poor communication are the top 3 things this company lacks. Their is a lot of open racism going on in the company as well. The older employees who are mostly white walk around with sour faces all day long when black employees are around. Then they go to upper management and discuss black employees. I am constantly told by my manager who is white that I, as well as the fulfillment dept. that I work in is being watched. This company does not pay well at all to constantly be watched because I am black. The culture here is poor. Managers need to learn how to manage up instead of down.
Pros
My coworkers in the fulfillment dept.
Cons
Racism, unsanitary conditions, low pay, no positive feedback from managers
An extremely fun, exciting, and excellent company to grow your Career
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 9, 2017
I have been employed with Marshall Fields and Macy's Department Stores for 12 years. Over these 12 years my experiences have been outstanding. I have been in sales for most of my tenure with Macy's and have also been a manager as well. Macy's is the type of company which allows you to grow within the company. Macy's also allows you to balance your work life with you private life. I highly recommend Macy's.
Pros
excellent paid time off, great health benefits, 401K, outstanding discounts
Cons
short breaks and there can be a very lack of communication between Managers and other employees
Hard Work
Merchandise Team Manager (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYJanuary 29, 2017
Working in retail should be fun, exciting, and engaging. However, with convoluted sales promotions, over-worked executives, and under-paid employees....it can be quite the opposite. A typical day at work starts with not enough sales staff, continues with annoyed customers (can't blame them), and ends with swollen feet. The hardest part of the job is knowing what can be done to be successful but not having the resources (or hours in a day) to accomplish it. The best part of the job is being able to satisfy your guests; making genuine connections and ensuring that they had a pleasant experience. Retail life is not for everyone...you need to be built for this!
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
hours on your feet
I learned so much!
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 5, 2016
Macy's has one of the best Executive Development Programs! My boss was amazing and took the time to really help me develop as a manager. She took every opportunity to help me learn, and give me exposure during corporate visits. She was all about promoting her managers to do something greater with their skills! Absolutely loved my time working at the Cherry Hill Macy's.

Compensation wasn't great, and work/life balance was a struggle. I was recruited to work for another retailer that offered significantly more pay, so I had to move on. But my time at Macy's definitely prepared me for my next assignment!
Pros and cons
On call Cosmetics Team member (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Love the customers, however team members are extremely competitive and combative. Also rare chances for advancement. No benefits until full time employment. Gruelling and demanding but lots of education.
Pros
Great commission rate, fun events that customers and employees participate in, discounts, and pay scale
Cons
Not unionized, hostile team members, extremely competitive
Excellent culture, poor pay and benefits
Administrative Support Associate (Current Employee) –  New HampshireNovember 29, 2016
Macy's has a wonderful culture, is strong in supporting diversity, and I love the people I work with. The job is challenging, enjoyable, and has enough variety to keep me interested. Unfortunately, their one major flaw is that they do not pay a livable wage, and they have only the bare minimum benefits. They provide only a total of ten paid time off days a year. Therefore, if you are sick or have an emergency, you must sacrifice vacation time if you want to get paid for missing a day.

They also get away with paying less by calling my position administrative, despite extensive HR responsibilities, which should justify a higher salary. They call 32 hours full time, and I have to beg for more than that.

We lose many good people because of low pay. It's a shame they aren't willing to pay better to reduce turnover.
Pros
strong commitment to diversity, great people
Cons
low pay
An excellent job for a people-person such as myself.
Retail associate (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHNovember 18, 2016
A typical day at work for me was standing in the fine jewelry/watch department and helping customers with their needs. I would sell these products as well as clean and fix them. It was a very fun experience for me, as I got to dress up in a suit and tie every day; it felt like a very classy position in the store. Our department carried the weight of the store, as it dealt with our most expensive products. We all worked for commission in this particular department, which served as a good incentive. My co-workers were very friendly and were not competitive in a rude sense; there was very much a feeling of teamwork. Management was very friendly and would do performance assessments regularly in order to critique and better our performance. It was overall a very good experience.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Productive and fun place to work
Calvin Klein Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CADecember 27, 2016
opening registers, costumer service every person that passes by and help then in their needs was the most part of the job. I learned how to do re-tickets items, find items and get familiar with all types of brands, prices, and promotions. Have good communications with management and coworkers. Learning how to multitask from helping costumers, to maintaining area of work clean as well as answering phone calls from other departments or stores and making orders.
The fun part of the job is making customers happy on finding the right items that they were looking for.
Pros
good breaks, good management, and great coworkers
Cons
health care was too high

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.