Macy's
9,521 reviews

Macy's Employee Reviews

Productive place to work, great place to learn
Merchandise Planner, Cookware & Bakeware (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2015
Great place to hone your retail skills. Great emphasis on training and development. Good work life balance and room for advancement.
Part Time
Private Brand Support Associate (Current Employee), WoodlandsJuly 29, 2015
Pros: ..
Cons: ..
Great for part time employment and flexible scheduling. An excellent opportunity great for retired, stay at home spouses with flexible lifestyles.
This job is crackers.
Signing and pricing (Former Employee), Minnetonka, MNJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits.
Cons: Breaks, lunches, HR, Team lead, and store management.
A typical day at work starts at 5:00 am, often earlier during holidays. During summer had to start at 1:00 am due to construction, - until "Completion" which is whenever the store is done usually 12:00pm - 1:45 pm, but at one point was 1:00am to 5:00pm, or a 16 hour shift, WITHOUT BREAKS, during holidays for Sale Prep until completion, we had a team of 5. Currently short-handed. The management, however, seems fit to not employ other people for the position, and will berate employee for not being "fast enough." A Signing team should be a team of 12 for a store of this size, but is really 2, excluding immediate manager, who prefers to do other things aside from sign the store. Current signing manager also seems fine with working off the clock. Also enjoys talking a lot. Carrot stick attitude. Current co-worker on workman's comp for injuries sustained on the job. Previous employees quit because of various complaints about worker retention, and management.

Would not recommend working for Macy's signing team unless desperate, hungry, crazy, or all three, and is okay with a totally crazy toxic team leader. My co-workers, when we did manage to retain them for a short while, were good hard working people, who would not put up with the insanity that current pervades the management atmosphere at Ridgedale Macy's.

Job has ok benefits, if you are part-time. You'll get nothing for being flex.
Low wages, poor management
FLEXIBLE SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Industry, CAJuly 29, 2015
While I did move up from a seasonal to regular part-time, to commission sales part-time rather quickly; I felt the only other advancement would be to full time. High employee turnover due to poor management. For example, although I had formally stated my availability and in several conversations with my manager the ONLY times I could not work was two weekdays after 5:00pm and Saturdays before 4:00pm due to my obligations coaching youth sports, I was regularly scheduled at these times. It was then my responsibility to find other employees with the same issue and switch our schedules around ourselves, if no one can cover your shift you lose points on their "attendance scale". This especially didn't make sense because I was only given 16-20 hours to work per week. Constantly searching the employee website picking up additional shifts, I was also more than happy when called to fill shifts on short notice. However, I would be penalized for arriving late despite giving the calling manager my eta, as I would have to get ready and sometimes drop my kids off with sitter. Never any reprimands, the people are very nice, courteous, and especially thankful when you cover a shift last minute; but there is the attendance point system. When you agree to cover a shift, the computer puts the shift under your employee number and if you clock in late, despite being on time per conversation with manager, the computer system will deduct attendance points. As a result, I lost my job with Macy's despite being the #1 salesperson in the store the previous week.
great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edina, MNJuly 29, 2015
it was a fun job great for students and people in the fashion world i will miss the great discount and the fun work environment also my awesome manger
na
Vice President - Store Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJuly 29, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: na
do not wish to provide. They support the Christmas season. they have a wonderful parade. they have cookouts and a firework display every year.
Routine
Fine Jewelry Specialist & Merchandiser (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDJuly 29, 2015
Pros: No personal gains or rewards
Cons: Unrealistic Company goals
Most work days at Macys are routine, unless there is a big Sales Event. The same process is generally followed day in and day out.
Making Magic
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Torrance, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: payrate is low
The day starts off with filling in orders. We have to check the fitting room through out the day and do the go backs. We go up to customers to see if they need any assistance and help locate items. Sometimes we have to call other stores and order the item for the customer. We have to open line of credit and reward cards. The best part of the job is being with your coworkers and working as a team. The job can be overwhelming at times with a lot of go backs or not enough staff to help.
typical day
Receving stock (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Nice ossociates
Cons: slow work
My manager barely gave me and other employers work to do we just had to find work but other than that we all made a great time work effort!
Good place to start, not so great to stay
Shoe Expeditor (Former Employee), Northridge, CAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: morning meetings, fast paced, hour break
Cons: little growth, lazy co workers
A typical day as a shoe expediter, the sales team orders shoes, you get them for the guest, if they buy them great if not they get sent back, you scan them back in and put them back in their place, If you work mornings you do shoe audits, where you scan out all the display shoes bought and replace them, this can take 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on how fast you can go from place to place.
The hardest part of the job was working with a few individuals whose phones where more important then the work load, my experience was not so great as 3 friends would come in and sit on their phones or talk about things while I or the others did 98% of the work. I went to the manager but little changed. aside from that the hardest part is black friday as work load go up by 600%.
The enjoyable part was the exercise and meeting new people I still have friend I hang out with from macys.
Macy's
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 28, 2015
My typical day at work was recognizing customer’s expectation through personalized engagements, I also utilized suggestive and marketing techniques to increase sales. Accurately completed cash register transactions. Always possessed an excellent familiarity with the products sold in their store and offer assistance to customers as needed. I packaged bought items and handle financial transactions, such as receiving payment and making any necessary change.
Stocked and replaced shelves from the store's stockroom. That was a typical day.
I would definately work in Macy's again.
Sales associate (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CaJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Satisfied customers
Cons: the pay was low for everything we had to do
I stopped working at Macy's when I was going to get married. I needed time to plan, but every time we enter a mall I say how much I liked working there. Working at Macy's was like not working at all because so many customers would always treat me like a friend, especially when they asked for my help. You see, it was more like shopping with them. A few times I had to go downstairs to the shoe department and help them pick the right shoes that would go with the outfit we had just picked out together. I'm not talking about teenagers. These were women ages 20 and older. I enjoyed working with them because it always reminded me that customer service is much more important than numbers.
Macy's Review
Seasonal Sale Associate (Former Employee), Valley Stream, NYJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Experience, motivation.
Cons: short breaks, always on your feet.
Overall, the time i spent working at Macy's was very influential because i got hands on experience working with different nationalities. I learned that many cultures have different taste and varieties in clothing choices. A typical day at work would be to meet and greet the customers with a warm smile and continue with the regular cashier routine. The hardest part of this job is when it a busy day and the department was under staff.
Productive and fun work environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Natick, MAJuly 28, 2015
Macy's is a great place to work. As a sales associate with a flexible schedule, I got to chose what store department I worked in so I was able to gain new experiences and grow as an individual. The job was tough at times, especially during the busy holiday season, but I pulled through. During tough times, I had help and support from store managers who made me feel welcome and like part of a family. Store managers were always there to assist me when needed. The employees were not always the friendliest but that is expected in a department store with thousands of customers a day.
Coach Handbag Department (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 28, 2015
Pros: If you are part time you can get the hours you want most of the time
Cons: Working on the holidays
Everyone is so helpful. The managers are good natured and are there to teach you things you don't know. It is an ongoing process.
DIOR is AMAZING
Dior Cosmetics Counter Manager (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 28, 2015
I love the "My Client" system they go by! My clients are very outstanding and friendly they're the reason I love woking at Macys/Bloomindales INC. The Macy's I work at the Upper Management is not all that spectacular. As i said in the Title..Dior as a brand is OUTSTANDING! I love working for DIOR!
Easy going, productive
Part Time Women's Shoe Consultant (Current Employee), Nanuet, NYJuly 28, 2015
Overall Macys has been a nice place to work at, the people can be friendly. There is a lot of team work here, people who will lend a helping hand.
fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mason, OHJuly 28, 2015
Great place to work, great management, competitive workplace, great for people that love to provide customer service over the phone and online. Over all great company to be employed by.
A mess.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Washington D.C.July 28, 2015
They dont treat the employees with respect. Moving up in the company is very difficult unless you are sucking up to someone.
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Salisbury, MDJuly 28, 2015
Do not care about any of their employees. It is almost impossible to get a raise at this company. They only care about money they do not care about employees at all.

About Macy's

Macy's, Inc., with corporate offices in Cincinnati and New York, is one of the US's premier retailers, with fiscal 2014 sales – Read more

Macy's Salaries