Macy's
9,532 reviews

Macy's Employee Reviews

Handbags and Jewelry
Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Olmsted, OHJuly 30, 2015
Best departments to work in honestly, the customers are always friendly and there is always a deal you can snag. Working with my co-workers was a blast, you meet so many new people each and everyday , its really an overall joy to be there in the work place
Great co-workers
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 30, 2015
I learned the ins and outs of the cosmetic industry. I loved the discounts and working with some great individuals. Great environment.
Nice to work but no work life balance
Merchandise Execution Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
Cons: Healthcare
A typical day here is always productive as we deal within an aggressive timeline with projects. This is actually the most enjoyable part of the job for me as I like the rush and thrill of working to complete an assignment!

The hardest part of the job however is working without enough information to execute effective and efficiently.
Decent place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 30, 2015
Pretty flexible scheduling, you pick up most of your own shifts, however sometimes very few are available to pick up. Hours vary a lot - some weeks you'll get 30 and some weeks you'll get 7 as part time.
Housekeeping (Former Employee), White Plains,NYJuly 30, 2015
Working and leading other in a team of work and partnership.Getting the store clean and operation.The most enjoyable part of the job is to maintain the store cleanliness
Good place if you like to stay busy, but be prepared to be treated like a number instead of a person.
Impulse Specialist (Former Employee), Eugene, ORJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Always busy
Cons: Treated like a number
Days at work were good, lots to do. Mostly good customers.
I learned how to handle many different person to person situations, I can fold like a pro, and multitask well.
Management depends on the manager.
Coworkers varied, high turnover rate. Then again some people stay 20+ years.
I enjoyed making people feel good, and seeing the smiles on their faces as they left my register. Also, making my sales goal was both rewarding and harsh.
macys store its a big company
Customer Associate (Former Employee), christiana mall delawareJuly 29, 2015
macys offer different kind of product like , women, men, kids clothing women shoes, men shoes jewellerymakeup,women hand bags,
Macys - on your feet constantly
Sales Associate - Part Time (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 29, 2015
A good first sales position for me. But, sometimes i felt more like a slave with demands place on us from management. I did enjoy the 20% employee discount.
Employees are disposable, flexible schedules
beauty advisor (Former Employee), WaJuly 29, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: Expensive healthcare, bad managment, LOTS of hard labor in a retail setting, high turnover, expected overtime
Working at Macy's can be great. Building relationships with customers and co-workers is amazing. However, it is made known to all employees that you are disposable, and even one disgruntled customer can cost you your position. I left the company after witnessing too many fellow employees treated badly.
Fun workplace
Clinique Consultant (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INJuly 29, 2015
Macys is such a great fun place to work. Compensation wasn't the greatest but that's to be expected in retail. Especially in a large department store.
Fun Hard working people
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Mansfield, OHJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Employee discount, perfect for college students or single living people
Cons: Part-time hours weren't enough for a mother or a family
Macys is a great company that really helps you understand the meaning behind there magic saying. They teach you the proper tool for customer service that you can take anywhere and any job!
Productive place to work, great place to learn
Merchandise Planner, Cookware & Bakeware (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2015
Great place to hone your retail skills. Great emphasis on training and development. Good work life balance and room for advancement.
Part Time
Private Brand Support Associate (Current Employee), WoodlandsJuly 29, 2015
Pros: ..
Cons: ..
Great for part time employment and flexible scheduling. An excellent opportunity great for retired, stay at home spouses with flexible lifestyles.
This job is crackers.
Signing and pricing (Former Employee), Minnetonka, MNJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits.
Cons: Breaks, lunches, HR, Team lead, and store management.
A typical day at work starts at 5:00 am, often earlier during holidays. During summer had to start at 1:00 am due to construction, - until "Completion" which is whenever the store is done usually 12:00pm - 1:45 pm, but at one point was 1:00am to 5:00pm, or a 16 hour shift, WITHOUT BREAKS, during holidays for Sale Prep until completion, we had a team of 5. Currently short-handed. The management, however, seems fit to not employ other people for the position, and will berate employee for not being "fast enough." A Signing team should be a team of 12 for a store of this size, but is really 2, excluding – more... immediate manager, who prefers to do other things aside from sign the store. Current signing manager also seems fine with working off the clock. Also enjoys talking a lot. Carrot stick attitude. Current co-worker on workman's comp for injuries sustained on the job. Previous employees quit because of various complaints about worker retention, and management.

Would not recommend working for Macy's signing team unless desperate, hungry, crazy, or all three, and is okay with a totally crazy toxic team leader. My co-workers, when we did manage to retain them for a short while, were good hard working people, who would not put up with the insanity that current pervades the management atmosphere at Ridgedale Macy's.

Job has ok benefits, if you are part-time. You'll get nothing for being flex. – less
Low wages, poor management
FLEXIBLE SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Industry, CAJuly 29, 2015
While I did move up from a seasonal to regular part-time, to commission sales part-time rather quickly; I felt the only other advancement would be to full time. High employee turnover due to poor management. For example, although I had formally stated my availability and in several conversations with my manager the ONLY times I could not work was two weekdays after 5:00pm and Saturdays before 4:00pm due to my obligations coaching youth sports, I was regularly scheduled at these times. It was then my responsibility to find other employees with the same issue and switch our schedules around ourselves, – more... if no one can cover your shift you lose points on their "attendance scale". This especially didn't make sense because I was only given 16-20 hours to work per week. Constantly searching the employee website picking up additional shifts, I was also more than happy when called to fill shifts on short notice. However, I would be penalized for arriving late despite giving the calling manager my eta, as I would have to get ready and sometimes drop my kids off with sitter. Never any reprimands, the people are very nice, courteous, and especially thankful when you cover a shift last minute; but there is the attendance point system. When you agree to cover a shift, the computer puts the shift under your employee number and if you clock in late, despite being on time per conversation with manager, the computer system will deduct attendance points. As a result, I lost my job with Macy's despite being the #1 salesperson in the store the previous week. – less
great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edina, MNJuly 29, 2015
it was a fun job great for students and people in the fashion world i will miss the great discount and the fun work environment also my awesome manger
na
Vice President - Store Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJuly 29, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: na
do not wish to provide. They support the Christmas season. they have a wonderful parade. they have cookouts and a firework display every year.
Routine
Fine Jewelry Specialist & Merchandiser (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDJuly 29, 2015
Pros: No personal gains or rewards
Cons: Unrealistic Company goals
Most work days at Macys are routine, unless there is a big Sales Event. The same process is generally followed day in and day out.
Making Magic
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Torrance, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: payrate is low
The day starts off with filling in orders. We have to check the fitting room through out the day and do the go backs. We go up to customers to see if they need any assistance and help locate items. Sometimes we have to call other stores and order the item for the customer. We have to open line of credit and reward cards. The best part of the job is being with your coworkers and working as a team. The job can be overwhelming at times with a lot of go backs or not enough staff to help.
typical day
Receving stock (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Nice ossociates
Cons: slow work
My manager barely gave me and other employers work to do we just had to find work but other than that we all made a great time work effort!

About Macy's

Macy's, Inc., with corporate offices in Cincinnati and New York, is one of the US's premier retailers, with fiscal 2014 sales – Read more

Macy's Salaries