Macy's Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,560 reviews matching the search
Productive and always a big work load
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 16, 2015
In this position you were basically your own manager. We pulled our own directives and implemented them as required. We were always challenged to take the designs to the next level since we were a top door store. Many times my designs were featured on the visual website. In seeing a project through from beginning to end, we were able to learn all the aspects of visual design. From the floor moves, to lettering, to merchandising, there was nothing we did not have our hands in. Reading a planogram and implementing the changes were part of our every day duties. I left this position with a lot of gained knowledge.
Pros
The knowledge gained and weekends off.
Cons
Yearly raises the went from $0.15- $0.25 if we were really good at the job
Product Knowledge and Customer Satisfaction
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rosedale Macy'sFebruary 25, 2016
This was a Flex Position with no set hours or benefits.

Working at Macy's didn't feel like work most of the times. The advantage of having a flex position places me in any department each week throughout the entire store. I enjoy shopping and learning every product Macy's has to sale. My product knowledge is essential to help the customer find the right clothing, home good, shoes, jewelry and more. When the customer is excited about the merchandise he or she is buying -- we celebrate the sale together.
Good Work Environment
Food Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 12, 2016
The Taste Bar was a pretty good work environment when it was there. The manager was very caring especially when I started school. I had a strong bond with a couple of my coworkers. The hardest part was when we had a busy lunch or dinner rush and there wasn't enough employees to cover the rush. I learned how to handle difficult customers with ease and humanity and how to make a good mocha.
Pros
1/2 price food, perks of Macy's discount, benefits
Cons
Seperate entity of Macy's sales associates
Good company to work for
Bilingual Credit Granting Representative (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 21, 2016
Macy's is a good, established company with a great culture. The application and interview process was very easy. management is hands on and good training department. Co-workers are friendly and eager to help.
Pros
Training, salary, benefits, work environment, employee discount
Cons
N/A
Very work intensive
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Aventura, FLFebruary 26, 2016
In my opinion, the workers are the only thing that made me want to go to work at Macy's. Only the social part I enjoyed. You have so many responsibilities and no compensation for it. They acknowledge you. They say they have incentives for working hard but it is always a competition among the workers. It's like everyone cannot be rewarded at the same time. Which is something I don't like about the job.
Cons
we couldn't use the water fountain in HR. We had to buy from their vending machines
Retail
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 30, 2016
On a typical day, I would greet customer and help them find specific items they needed. Macy's is a company all about their people. Giving back to families. Management was great, also co-workers. The hardest part of my job was not making enough money. I enjoyed the work environment.
Pros
friendly, warming enviornment
Cons
compensation
A great place to shop......
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, MANovember 18, 2015
Although Macy's is a great place to shop, it's also a great place for those who are either just entering the work force or retired. I have made a lot of friends at Macy's and have really enjoyed working with them and the customer's as well.

On that note, Macy's expects a lot from their employees for little pay and incentives in order to boost employee morale. In addition, they expect their employees to work long hours during the holidays, and then at the same time will cut their hours and benefits after the holidays without telling anyone. Which leads to a high turnover rate.

With that said, I would only recommend this job to those who are just starting out in the work force, but not for those who have years of experience; that would be just an insult.
Family Enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  State College, PADecember 3, 2015
Working at Macy's was rewarding because the entire team, from sales associate to upper management, worked together as a family to make the store the best place possible not only for the customers (the chief concern), but also for each individual workers.

Yes, there was competition. Yet, there was always a "we are all in this together" ad moving-forward attitude that made me love going to work each day. Management was on top of everything. I got to know everyone there, and the entire team was caring. I could not ask for a better environment to work in.
Pros
Great associates, family feeling, great managers
Cons
lower pay, expensive benefits
the site was helpful and fast
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMarch 19, 2016
this company is diversified, I came to see want Macy's had to offer. Looking for more outside culture. And it is full of culture. I will miss being a part of so many cultured services. Food, entertainment and other events.
Pros
Discounts and other benefits
Cons
Job is closing
Typical Retail Job
Lingerie Fitting Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 4, 2016
Management moved around a lot but still managed to keep track of employee progress. Sales goals were reasonable, employee discount has improved from requiring a Macy's credit card to a store debit card. Aside from the holiday season, the pace and store hours are not bad.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Compensation
Great Place!!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 7, 2015
I really loved Macys, I loved making my own schedule. I knew almost all the departments besides commission departments and truly enjoyed everyone i worked with. I had so much support at Macys with management, supervisors, and coworkers. I enjoyed every day at work, i cant remember one day i really had a terrible day there. When I suffered a miscarriage and decided to leave Macys for personal time that was hard, I miss working for such an amazing company.
Pros
good/happy environment to work in, big comfortable break room for long days, great discounts, amazing support
Cons
no benefits for part time
Fun Place to Work For The First Two Months
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CADecember 30, 2015
I had a blast when i first started macys. After the first couple of months of working here, I got over asking for credits. Credits are everything here. Managers dont even begin to work with you unless you perform the way they would like you to. The hardest part of the ob is getting people to apply for accounts. Getting credits is what everyone here dreads. Also, the raises are not a lot. They rarely ever give raises over 10 cents.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
no benefits, low pay, low raises
Productive workplace
Seasonal Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMarch 25, 2016
I had a great experience got the time that I worked at Macy's. Work is fun if you have a positive attitude and like helping others

Sell credit to Macy's customers and get them better deals on their purchase.

Sell, clean, and organize floor
Pros
Get discounts on clothes, benefits, and networking with customers
Cons
Low compensation and work weekends
productive
Security Safety Officer / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 7, 2016
always room for advancement, i all aspects, safe work place.
personal time off . regular training , good management , good co- workers excellent employee discount on store items and out side
transit check program .
Pros
401k plan
Amazing co-workers and Managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYApril 1, 2016
Our Management team were just amazing and always there to help us in any way. We were a small store and it was our family. Our customers were mostly repeat and helped us build a great customer base.
Pros
Great team workers
Cons
salary
Amazing place to work when position is stable
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTJanuary 10, 2016
Can be fun, consistently active, solid pay, busy work, good workout as a receiver, reasonable management, safe work environment, unfortunate surprise closing of dozens of stores including mine right after being told I'm retained & given a pay raise so that's a pretty hefty issue but that aside, lovely job as long as you're actually there to do your work.
Productive, organized, clean workplace with current equipment.
Executive Office Assistant - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CANovember 1, 2015
I enjoy problem solving, which includes accountancy issues, customer service issues, training and leading staff members.

I am extremely organized and take time and care to organize a new working environment, if need be.

I prefer business casual dress in an office environment. Good communication is very important, especially with staff and customers.

I am very punctual, if not early at the job and seldom take days off. In my last position as Community Office Manager I only took one day off in two and one half years of employment.

I am a dedicated person and enjoy working with others to enhance and grow a business where possible.
Pros
Casual office environments.
Cons
Sometimes lack of possible salary increase or promotion.
No Support and that's your fault
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 23, 2015
Macy's is the most cheapest company I ever seen. They want customers to shop there so bad that they are willing to let customers return items from over a decade ago . Try reselling a dried up moisturizer!! They don't care how it effects your sales, however , if you don't meet your goals they are on your back. I worked as a counter manger for Clinique which made my job even worse. Clinique's management and Macy's management never got along which made it worse to plan anything. The vendors work against you while Macy's just leaves you to fend for yourself. Once your fed up they are ready to blame you for anything and everything. Their scorecard ratings are annoying and unreasonable. The customers are broke and the force Macy's cards down your throat. You have to wait one entire to qualify for their terrible benefits. If your in a location like mine that requires you to pay for parking don't expect to be reimbursed.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, company policies anti employee, no benefits, bad management, contradicting with vendors
it's a retail position..
sales rep (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 6, 2015
It's a retail job. expect to work every weekend. Holiday's and random shifts. Management isn't personable and is always looking to cover their own instead of doing what is right and driving employee moral. Dealing with most of the managers is like dealing with middle school kids. Sales goals and work load are unrealistic. Never staffed appropriately.
Pros
most of the people are great. weekly paycheck. Holiday and decent vacation benefits
Cons
horrible scheduling, good luck getting a full friday saturday or sunday off, did i mention poor unrealistic scheduling?
Typical Big Company Job
Loss Prevention Detective (Former Employee) –  Independence, MoOctober 20, 2015
It's like working for any other retailer, Hours suck and pay isn't great. Your voice will never be heard by upper management and if it is nothing will happen. The CEO makes easily 7 figures + while your making $8.00 per hour or so. I liked my manager I worked for however. I worked in the Loss Prevention side of the company. I will say the LP side is the better side and it's alot of fun to work in, but you will be "on call" 24/7 and your regular work hours will typically be until 9pm or so. Coworkers really don't talk to Loss Prevention because they think we are out to get them which isn't true. Macy's is open 364 days a year so that sucks alot, and if you want a raise or advancement on the LP side its virtually non existent for awhile at least or you have to move. The management in my store was pretty nice and fun to be around, the job can get boring at times but can be very fun to catch shoplifters.
Pros
Laid back, catching shoplifters
Cons
Hours, Pay, on call 24/7