Macy's Employee Reviews

No matter what, Magic is always first
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 15, 2017
When starting a job at Macy's they provide paid training.
The training course is outdated and formatted in a way where what one is being trained on has no relevance to the goings on in the current work environment.
The contract you agree and sign to is very vague as to the responsibilities of a Sales associate or any other position for that matter. They basically have you do whatever they need you to do which has vaguely outlined limitations or none at all.
There are a lot of things about the job that nobody tells you at all and so if you weren't taught a certain process or shown how or where certain things go or operate it can completely throw off the work flow for a number of employees and upset customers rather quickly.
Promotions and Carrier opportunities are not made clear and easily accessible or are given randomly, I'd go as far as to quote another associate who stated that their elevated position: "Fell in their lap" quite literally out of the blue. Often in order to acquire another position better suited to an individual's skill set management makes it clear that the individual in question must "Quit and Reapply"
Management is really hit or miss. Every manager is different, in my experience there are few managers that are very genuine and understanding but will not let anyone take advantage of them which I would not recommend anyone doing anyways.
A lot of the managers frequently deal with rather rude and entitled customers, Associates whom have had unfortunate customers interactions that leave them feeling rather attacked and treated unfairly, and are often the
  more... second to last to being updated about a ongoing event.
There's clearly a barrier between Management and Associates and for as long as that is the case Macy's will not be a place I recommend anyone work for an extended period of time.
Its easy to not know what goes on within the store as far as: Event's, Sales, Codes, Coupons, Offers, Specials, Etc.
If you don't work for a few days when you return everything could be completely different from when you where there last.
The company and how they handle scheduling and attendance through their program called 'insite' is useful but atrocious. At a moments notice they could have changed your shift without informing you formally but expect that you still attend.
There is a 10 minute grace period for clocking in which has proven to be ineffective due to number of associates being mistakenly hours late when in reality they would have clocked in 11 minutes from the start of their shift. Missing a weekend shift is likely to have a increasing negative effect on your overall attendance. This system also puts those who use public transportation in a negative position due to frequent Bus and Train Schedule changes.
As a full-time employee you're subject to 28 minimum hour work weeks but even that isn't guarantee.
Shifts usually fluctuate between opening and closing with no time off in between, meaning that you could close 2 shifts in a row and be expected to open the 3rd shift. (I'm aware this is common among most entry level jobs however that does not make it right)
Even more concerning are periods in which an associate would open, close and then open again. The schedule rarely does a quality job of spacing and managing shifts between opening, evening, and closing shifts.
Pros
20% discount off of all purchases (Back of house), Macy's Money (Store credit)
Cons
Without the use of a 'Macy's Card' associates do not get their 20% discount.
Very fun work place.
Macy's Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CANovember 14, 2017
I love my job. My managers are very sweet and laid back. Employees are friendly including me. We are all one big Magic making family. They have helped me through a lot and I’m forever grateful. I plan to stay as long as I can.
Pros
1hr lunch, relaxing break room.
Cons
Fitting rooms after they don’t get checked every 1hr.
Good Company to start
S ales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 14, 2017
Working for Macy's was a very good experience. I really enjoyed to work with cosmetics and fragrances but fragrances is my passion. Unfortunately there is a lack of time work. I am the type of person that likes to learn about everything so I can help anybody and make the company to have the best customer service as possible, and it can happen only when the company invest in training the employees to work as a time. I like to speak up about how to improve the working enviroment but the managers need to be on the same page for things to be changed for better. Overall it is a good company to get some experience.
Pros
Good company to get experience
Cons
lack of time work
Manager of Cosmetics and Women Fragrance (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 14, 2017
During my employment with Macy I was able to learn new skill and gain much experience from my manager, and move into a management position that allow me to train and management a team which will allow me to take that experience and as part of my career goals
Pros
great discounts
Cons
working every weekend
Very Poor Management
Loss Prevention Detective (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HINovember 14, 2017
I learned a lot while working at Macy's Inc. If it had not been for poor management I probably would have stayed. There were only 3 Loss Prevention Detectives through our Christmas season. There was nowhere near enough coverage for the store more importantly during their open 24 hrs during the last 3 days before the Christmas Holiday.
Pros
I made great friends.
Cons
Poor Management
Macy's was a very fun place to work. The staff was wonderful, where I made many friends. the managment was great.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 14, 2017
I liked working at Macy's. Everyone made you feel at home there. The management was wonderful, they helped you if you needed it. the staff became my friends and they still are after a lot of years passed. I liked working with the customers, especially working in the infant and toddler department. I worked the register and arranged the merchandize in my department.
Pros
I got a 20% discount on clothes and 15% for other things, I made many friends, Had great time off for vacations, had sick days and good benifits, had opportunites to advanced your position
Cons
working in the stock room that had asbestos, didn't know at the time that he had caused Cancer, it was a long time ago
Home
Seasonal Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Owasso, OKNovember 14, 2017
You will learn how to be working with a lot of people, all different.

Every day is a different day, you never now what could happened there.

Easy job. Good money.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Short beaks
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CANovember 14, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. I learned a lot about customer service and sales. i would definitely recommend working at Macy's to a friend. The customers are fabulous
Manangers
Sales Associate/Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 14, 2017
A typical day at work is doing everything while the other managers are out goofing off. Staff would always call in and staff that would work worked double shifts and without breaks.
Don't Apply
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 14, 2017
I would not recommend working for this company. The concept behind most of their rules and principles are sound but they are not carried out well. Most of the time the employees get away with murder
Review summary
Customer Service/Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Brea, CANovember 14, 2017
Macy's is a good job to have as a part time second job or if you are in school needing a flexible schedule. There online schedules were one of the biggest perks to the job. The pay was bare minimum and the employees are under appreciated.
Always busy but a fun place to work
Shoe Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLNovember 14, 2017
Its always busy at the women shoe department in macy , if you like standing on your foot for hours and love to move around then this is for you, but if you don't then i wouldnt
Pros
more hours
Cons
short breaks, only 10% store discount
Fun place to work with a work/life balance
Hadoop Admin (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 14, 2017
nice work and life balance
high deductible medical insurance
nice workplace culture
encouraged to learn new things and many trainings provided
good management
Sales Assosiate
Macy's Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 14, 2017
Worked point of sale,interacted with customers about purchases, dressing room attendant, stocked merchandise, interacted with loss prevention. Maintained clean work environment in sales floor
Fun to work there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXNovember 13, 2017
it was a good place to learn how to use the register and how to make customer happy. The employees are very freindly and helpful. The Managers are very helpful also.
Pros
Discounts for employees
Cons
sometime it is hard to make your goal
Nice environment
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
The co workers and management was nice people to work around they give discounts the pay was fair environment was well kept just overall a great experience only thing it was seasonal and they didn’t let us know the last day
Pros
Environment food and people
Cons
Short breaks
They have no Idea who works there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 13, 2017
I was hired and they forgot I worked there. Called me a week later and said ops! Would you like to work.Worst job I have ever had. Management has no idea about what there doing.
Boring Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 13, 2017
although it was a seasonal job, this place was very limited in terms of trained managers. During slow hours, you were pretty much free to do as you pleased since management was never around to guide employees in the right direction.
Great place to work making extra cash
CUSTOMER SERVICE COMMISSION SALES (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLNovember 13, 2017
Macy's offer competitive opportunity, I personally worked for the women's shoe department. I enjoyed the work environment, their were always things to do. I enjoyed the opportunity to grow, and advance to another department. Great management , and quality work experience to be gained.
Macys was average
Expeditor Lead ASM/support (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 13, 2017
Pretty good hours and pay , co workers are great , not all managers are cool but most are this is the heralds square store , hardest part of the job is most customers are from all over the world language is a barrier alot of the time , the most enjoyable are the co workers
Pros
Macy discount 30 -40 % off 10% off food
Cons
Not all managers are not as friendly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.