Macy's Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,600 reviews matching the search
Pros and Cons
Cosmetic Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 1, 2016
I love my co-workers and they make my job more fun. I love being knowledgeable with new products and learning new things everyday. I've definitely learned many things working here for a couple of months. Management isn't the greatest and they don't care about their employees. They don't appreciate the hard work we employees do. Overall, I believe that this job was a great stepping stone for me in order to start my career in the cosmetic industry.
Retail
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 30, 2016
On a typical day, I would greet customer and help them find specific items they needed. Macy's is a company all about their people. Giving back to families. Management was great, also co-workers. The hardest part of my job was not making enough money. I enjoyed the work environment.
Pros
friendly, warming enviornment
Cons
compensation
Not the best place to work for
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 3, 2016
No job security, bad management, no benefits or compensation
no vacation days or personal days off, not the greatest hours to work
Cons
job security, management, benefits and compensation, vacation
Great place to start your career, but not so much for growth.
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Ohio, GAMarch 31, 2016
Macy's offers a good starting point if you are looking to cut your teeth. However, instead of promoting from within, they pick talent from other companies to meet their needs rather than investing in what they have.

A typical day of work consists of supporting end users from start to finish. Time constraints typically do not allow any training other than 'on the job'. I learned a valuable lesson in that you must negotiate very well if you want to make a living with this company before you accept the job. Promotions are way too far and few between. You'd be better off starting here. The next step would be to leave, get your promotions/job title and THEN come back when they are willing to pay more for your worth.

My direct coworkers are not in house. They are located in a different state. My non-direct coworkers vary from Sr level management to the end user. I work in a position where I am highly visible and am in demand to assist all users. I wouldn't recommend sitting a technical support analyst among the entire group of end users as it makes them an easy target. It does not promote standard operating procedure as people walk by on a consistent basis and are able to view sensitive data and ask for assistance directly.

The hardest part of my job is juggling quantity vs quality. The powers that be suggest that they want to cater to our end users. Yet they do not have the staff to properly meet deadlines by being political versus being efficient.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the fact that I do learn a lot. Although, it really is upon yourself to
  more... learn your responsibilities as management is very unclear in regard to the career path they would like you to follow.  less
Pros
Long term work. Flexible hours for family life.
Cons
No room for growth in my position. Bad benefits. Politics over policy.
Pleasurable customer oriented company, and environment
Selling Specialist/Tommy Hilfiger (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJMarch 20, 2016
Assisting customers, making long time customers, and enjoyable atmosphere with commitment to exceeding expectations. How exciting it is to build customer relationships, how flexible, analytic and goal oriented I am. Terrific and goal oriented management with a willingness to teach and encourage staff to be their best at all times. Friendly team oriented environment. Absolutely loved building relationships with customers, and ensuring all customer's needs were met and exceeded.
Pros
Friendly, enjoyable, customers and management.
Cons
short breaks
Great opportunities to grow .
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 21, 2016
Great opportunities to grow with in the Co. and branch into different areas if willing to relocate. Good work life balance if you manage your time & work load well. Strong mentors to guide your along your career. Great career potential if interested in working in different states or with in corporate,
Basically a good company to work for
Part-Time Administrative Support Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 29, 2015
Would recommend this company on a part time basic, upper management need to demonstrate how appreciative they are because the associate really work hard to provide customer service
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Medical/Dental Benefits not affordable
Sometimes you love it
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 27, 2016
I really enjoyed my job here. The discounts you can get are amazing. But sometimes its just not worth it. You will grow with the company and want to uphold there policies but the management will throw policy out the window for just about anyone so its very frustrating.
Pros
Discounts, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Management, Angry Customers, Long hours, Unappreciated
Productive, Seasonal
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVMarch 6, 2016
It was a great experience. I was able to earn "Macy's Money" for getting clients to apply for credit cards. A few people in management wasn't very pleasant to work with due to their attitude towards employees and favoritism.
Pros
breaks, make friends, earn rewards for making credits
Cons
Hours are competitive, poor management, favoritism
Seasonal Opportunity
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Duncanville, TXMarch 31, 2016
A typical day as a Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate consisted of, recovering clothing items from dressing rooms, and take-back racks. As well as assisting guests with their purchases, then checking them out at the register. We dealt with frequently high volumes of shoppers. There was an ample management staff, ready to assist employees and guests whenever they were needed. My co-workers were a mix of long-term dedicated employees, and first time Seasonal Associates like myself. At times I faced the challenge of recovering large and sometimes, unfamiliar areas, alone. There seemed to be an overall lack of structure, and attention to detail. However, the most rewarding part of my job was, being able to help and satisfy shoppers during the holidays.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
The restrooms are outdated and in disarray, the pay should be increased, often times worked alone with assistance promised but never to come..
providing outstanding service
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 23, 2016
I don't think there is a typical day at Macy's i could walk into a perfectly clean department or a department that looked like a tornado ran through it, but what i learned was to expect the unexpected. The management at Macy's was very supportive especially when it came to irate customers, and to customer satisfaction. My co-workers and i all worked together as a team and we all managed to get things done in a professional and orderly fashion. The hardest part pf this job would be around the holidays when the fitting rooms would be out of control with clothes and customers leaving their garbage behind, but that was over ridden by the joy that i got out of being able to give outstanding customer service to all the customers that came to my department as well as forming relationships with the regular customers.
Family Enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  State College, PADecember 3, 2015
Working at Macy's was rewarding because the entire team, from sales associate to upper management, worked together as a family to make the store the best place possible not only for the customers (the chief concern), but also for each individual workers.

Yes, there was competition. Yet, there was always a "we are all in this together" ad moving-forward attitude that made me love going to work each day. Management was on top of everything. I got to know everyone there, and the entire team was caring. I could not ask for a better environment to work in.
Pros
Great associates, family feeling, great managers
Cons
lower pay, expensive benefits
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2016
Let me note that I work for their website, NOT any physical store. The management is fair, the room for growth is phenomenal. The only downside is the salary isn't exactly competitive, and the insurance they offer is terrible.
Fun if you make it....productive....if you make it
Cosmetics Beauty Advisor/MUA (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 14, 2015
In cosmetics, its basically like getting a glimpse of running your own business....with the management team down your throat about credit cards, my client program and various other coupons and point systems that they want you to sign clients up for. I learned that if you aren't an aggressive type, and aren't genuine, this is NOT the job for you. Commission, commission, COMMISSION is what the people in fragrances and cosmetics are really cutting your throat for. If you are a genuine person starting out as a GOOD makeup artist, that may be the only part that you enjoy and can easily build your portfolio...trust me, it makes the day go by so much faster.
Pros
Fun if you make it....benefits, 401K career job
Cons
my client, credit cards, are the ONLY way your going to possibly get a raise.
Great Place!!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 7, 2015
I really loved Macys, I loved making my own schedule. I knew almost all the departments besides commission departments and truly enjoyed everyone i worked with. I had so much support at Macys with management, supervisors, and coworkers. I enjoyed every day at work, i cant remember one day i really had a terrible day there. When I suffered a miscarriage and decided to leave Macys for personal time that was hard, I miss working for such an amazing company.
Pros
good/happy environment to work in, big comfortable break room for long days, great discounts, amazing support
Cons
no benefits for part time
on Macys
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dulles Town Center, VAMarch 9, 2016
I worked for Macys for 14 years been there when it was Hecht's Department Store was there when the merger went on with Macys. I have had a number of mangers some I have lost contact with I learned a lot when I first started working retail at Hecht's I knew nothing I learned by listening from managers and my co-workers. I would have to say the hardest part of my job at Hecht's and Macys was Christmas time the crazy time of the season some days i did not know what was the time of Day it was I would have rise n shine hours which meat I went in early in the morning when it was dark and came home when it was just about late in the afternoon/evening. Management was good to me when I was there. I enjoyed everything about my job
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
A great place to shop......
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, MANovember 18, 2015
Although Macy's is a great place to shop, it's also a great place for those who are either just entering the work force or retired. I have made a lot of friends at Macy's and have really enjoyed working with them and the customer's as well.

On that note, Macy's expects a lot from their employees for little pay and incentives in order to boost employee morale. In addition, they expect their employees to work long hours during the holidays, and then at the same time will cut their hours and benefits after the holidays without telling anyone. Which leads to a high turnover rate.

With that said, I would only recommend this job to those who are just starting out in the work force, but not for those who have years of experience; that would be just an insult.
Typical Retail Job
Lingerie Fitting Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 4, 2016
Management moved around a lot but still managed to keep track of employee progress. Sales goals were reasonable, employee discount has improved from requiring a Macy's credit card to a store debit card. Aside from the holiday season, the pace and store hours are not bad.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Compensation
Interesting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 24, 2015
At this job you are in control of your advancement and growth. The work environment can be full of pressure to achieve certain expectations that make you look good, but make your managers look great. Their(management's) relationship with you ultimately depends on how good you can make them look in the eyes of their managers. You must have the ability to remain calm and level headed under pressure and to multitask in a semi chaotic environment. The co workers for the most part are nice and great to work with.
Fun job in which I interacted to different cultures
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 18, 2016
This job was fun and dealt with the public in an intense manner. It was good to interact with customers from varied cultural backgrounds in which thought me how to be more open and flexible to different cultures and languages. I enjoyed my managers and the same happened to them, I felt highly valued by the management team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.