Macy's Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,560 reviews matching the search
Associates / co-workers are really good people, employee discount is okay, buts thats all.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 15, 2016
Very poor, inexperienced upper management. The worst company for a work life balance career and the numerous schedule changes will force you to double think about the quality and purpose of your job. The lack of genuine work experience with management is a joke, they preach about top coaching & setting expectations, but management lacks the ability to deliver results and fails to follow through on commitments. Pay does not match education and experience, promises are made about career growth but they just layoff over 800 employees. If you challenge management, they turn on you and HR doesn't help.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
management, schedules, pay rate
Workplace with a lot of flexibility.
Receiving/Customer-Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Milford, CTJanuary 5, 2016
Although the job doesn't provide much in the way of monetary benefits, it does give the strong chance of instilling a sense of team-work to every single employee, during the course of the workday. Many related assignments at the retail store were accomplished with the help of another team player, and probably would not be accomplished as readily, without this pertinent aspect, during the busier holiday season.
Pros
Flexible work-schedules.
Cons
Minimal salary increases, if any.
Good benefits
Executive Multi Foods Manager (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMarch 29, 2016
Good salary plus bonus structure. Poor work life balance, as hours and days could be very long. Strong support structure. many of the systems used were antiquated
Experience
beauty advisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 14, 2016
My experience at macys has had its ups and downs. The overall job security is great as well as the pto/sick time benefits. The downs are the opportunity for growth within the company.
Pros
PTO FOR PART TIME EMPLOYEES
Cons
NO GROWTH
Great Company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
Great company to work for but pay is not so great. I did learn a lot during my time here. Macy's is a risk taker which makes it exciting.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Salary
Sub par pay and benefits
FBO Returns Manager (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAFebruary 23, 2016
Good place to work fair but not great, benefits and sub par compensation. Work life balance was a struggle because of daily workload and under staffed facility.
Pros
opportunity for growth
Cons
high turn over on hourly associates
ok job
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJFebruary 26, 2016
high expectation and low salary.
The only thing I did enjoy was the discounts and I was able to grab sales items before the customers did.
Constant change in management, and everyday changes to expectation were uncomfortable for the low page wage.
Pros
discounts
Cons
poor hourly wage
Employment Support
Employment Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLJanuary 30, 2016
Macy's strives to create a culture of employee engagement. (However, like all large companies, you might get managers who do not focus on such things). I have been with the company for 4 years and have grown so much in the short time span working from the retail side to the corporate HR side.
Pros
employee engagement focused
Cons
benefits are meh
The Best Sales Training in Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lehigh Valley, PADecember 29, 2015
Macy's Herald Square in my opinion offers all new sales associates a education in selling. With classes on selling and classes in product knowledge, all new sales associates are given the tools for success at Macy's. Top salary, earned paid vacation with a great health benefits is a plus for any new associate starting out in retail and is what makes Macy's Herald Square the BEST retail store in the world to work in.
Pros
Training in Sales and Product Knowledge
Cons
To Many Managers to keep track of
Enjoyable/Exciting workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 26, 2015
Very enjoyable work place. Working with customers can be very challenging, but overall enjoyable. Each day was new learning experience which included assisting customers with selecting clothing, distributing clothing to varies arears of the store, and maintain overall sales goals.. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting customers with their purchases and seeing those same customers returning for your assistance with their new purchases. The most changeling part of the job was setting the daily/weekly sales. The management was overall supportive. The co-workers were wonderful!
Pros
Excellent Benefits and Discounts
Cons
Holiday Blackout
Productive and Very calm work environment
Entry level sales associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2016
Good place to work , People are great , Customers are respectful as well as employees . Can work weekends , Can also work holidays with time and a half salary , Hours were flexible with college schedule .
Pros
50% off entire store ( Discount )
Not the best place to work for
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 3, 2016
No job security, bad management, no benefits or compensation
no vacation days or personal days off, not the greatest hours to work
Cons
job security, management, benefits and compensation, vacation
Productive and easy days
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2016
Smooth days just finished the work you're assigned. Managers get besides themselves with demands and how they talk to employees. All coworkers are cool and focused on doing their job.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, cut hours
A wonderful experience
Fragrance Clientele Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2015
The most excited part of the job was getting acquainted with customers from across the globe and making them feel at home,and comfortable in the big apple exchanging ideas and cultural ,and alongside my colleagues made the workplace a fun environment especially when we had public appearance of the celebrities fragrances that we were selling and promoting .Its a fast past,seasonal,fashion district,productive environment.
Pros
meeting new individuals from across the world
Cons
healthcare benefits
Fun work.
Associate Sales (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 4, 2015
Women's shoes department is the most busiest department in the that Macy's branch I am working with. I have regained my "people skills" confidence. Since I have not been working for the past fifteen years. And this job is my first job since and considering that I am relatively new in this country. My manager's expectation is so high that she expects me to get the technical side of my job done 100% perfect. Most of the co-workers are supportive though. The hardest part of the job is when I get to deal with advance transaction with the Point of Sale system because I have no actual training yet with such, and the manager expects me to deliver without mistake. The most enjoyable part though is when I see the smile in my customer's face because they got the right shoes they wanted, and they are very verbal in showing their appreciation for my hard work.
Pros
No Pros though.
Cons
Since I am only working part time/seasonal..I have no other benefits.
Basically a good company to work for
Part-Time Administrative Support Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 29, 2015
Would recommend this company on a part time basic, upper management need to demonstrate how appreciative they are because the associate really work hard to provide customer service
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Medical/Dental Benefits not affordable
Macys does not value its employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 9, 2016
Macys is not competitive with hourly wages. The company does not value its employees and is constantly adding responsibility while not adding compensation.
Pros
Good benefits
Great opportunities for learning and owning your own business
sales manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2016
Macy's Herald Square is an exciting place to work, with incredible access to top company executives, a strong team of store leadership executives, and a crash course in learning the business of big box retail in NYC. Of course, this does not come without a non-stop promotional calendar and the stress of running a floor in the world's largest store! Coworkers are amazing and supportive - I could not have gotten through it without the camaraderie of them!

Macy's does a great job of focusing on having fun in the workplace, and making you feel valued. They also place a large focus on self development, which is very engaging and makes you push yourself harder.
Pros
Occassional free lunches, great senior leadership, exciting, busy, fun
Cons
long hours, stressful
diverse job
Retail Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 19, 2016
i love meeting the people from around the world, I gained life long friendships, the work is satisfying, not hard. everyone gets along.
benefits
Cons
advancement opportunities
Fun if you make it....productive....if you make it
Cosmetics Beauty Advisor/MUA (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 14, 2015
In cosmetics, its basically like getting a glimpse of running your own business....with the management team down your throat about credit cards, my client program and various other coupons and point systems that they want you to sign clients up for. I learned that if you aren't an aggressive type, and aren't genuine, this is NOT the job for you. Commission, commission, COMMISSION is what the people in fragrances and cosmetics are really cutting your throat for. If you are a genuine person starting out as a GOOD makeup artist, that may be the only part that you enjoy and can easily build your portfolio...trust me, it makes the day go by so much faster.
Pros
Fun if you make it....benefits, 401K career job
Cons
my client, credit cards, are the ONLY way your going to possibly get a raise.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.