Macy's
7,742 reviews

Macy's Employer Reviews

Productive, challenging, and fun place to work.
Retail Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), North Wales, PaJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: flex time, overtime
Cons: healthcare, seasonal
I enjoyed working at Macy's. My work routine differs every week, because I sometimes work in others departments. I worked in Men's suits 95% of the time. At times it was challenging, because I sometimes have to send suits for alteration, based on my decisions. I got alone very well with my co-workers, and managements were great. They acknowledged you, and valued your opinions. The most enjoyable part of the job, was satisfying each customers, and making sales goals.
Asset Protection
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Good company to work for and able to grow in the asset protection world.
one of the best places
Morning team member (Former Employee), Meriden, CTJanuary 21, 2015
No one was every on your case, had wonderful management staff. i wouldn't change it if i could. most laid back place ever
A smooth work environment with day to day interaction with customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), State College, PAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: smooth work environment, nice work staff, discounts, the amount of learning i did.
Cons: very slow paced at times.
A typical day of work would consist of folding clothes and placing them in the right area. I would also help customers with finding the right clothes that fit their personal style and also placing online orders. I also managed the cash register and handled customer purchases.

I learned how to further my skills in talking to people and showing them i have an interest in what they want.

My management was great. They helped me get use to the work environment and showed me everything I needed to know to get the job done.

My co-workers were friendly and gave me help if i needed it. They were also very easy to work with.

I do not feel like my job had any hard aspects of it and the most enjoyable part was the interaction with people.
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Concord, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: co-workers and customers.
Cons: low pay, and no benefits.
I typically assisted in pushing merchandise from the stock area onto the sales floor. Organizing, folding, and arranging the merchandise for the convenience of the customers. Dressing mannequins, and "look" hangers with the latest fashions on showcase in the department I was assigned to for the day. I met with customers and assisted them with locating and choosing the best merchandise for their particular needs. The co-workers were very helpful and kind, and always looking to help.

The best part of the job was getting to see all of the merchandise from top name designers, and setting up props to advertise new lines and products for designers. the hardest part of the job was dealing with my everyday life, like transportation because the pay was so small, and no benefits were offered for the position unless I had a college degree. But working with a wonderful staff of people, and interacting with the customers was always well worth the effort.
Stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 21, 2015
Work hard for very little pay. A good job for someone in college, or not very many bills. Hard to move up or get management role.
It's a Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bend, ORJanuary 21, 2015
Pay is not great and they will run you in to the ground about credit card applications.
Employees get extra discount when buying
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Hayward, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Nice place to work.
Easy going with flexible work hours to choose from
Fun place to work, great people but pays way too little!!
Sales Fragrances Associate (Current Employee), RosedaleJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: 20 percent discount
Cons: pays too little
Is a fun place to work, Great to interact with people. Very busy, dynamic atmosphere.
great environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Huntington, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: you can alternate your schedule on line
Cons: seasonal employment
I would love to work there again even though it is only seasonal they make the holiday fun. Everyone is nice staff included.
macys
Sales Associate (Former Employee), NJJanuary 21, 2015
I loooovvvee macy's I love shoes fashion people. I love selling shoes every day making commission meeting and getting to know new people everyday. I usually have multiple customer at a time sell more and 3000 dollars worth a pair of shoes in 5 hour shift. Im very hands on like to get the work done swiftly and neatly.
Was a great company to work for
VP Store Manager (Former Employee), NortheastJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great benefit package and bonus structure
Cons: little work/life balance
Incredible work experience that helped set myself up for my career, however the work/life balance is almost non-existent. When you work for Macy's be ready to be answering emails at all hours of the night.
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: nice people, nice environment, lovely managers
Cons: little pay, work hours changed drastically
An amazing group of managers and i was able to adjust my work around my other part time job.Open door policy with the managers, the worst part was easily coming in so early, being an hour ahead and hardly getting paid.
It was It Okay To Work In Such a High Volume Place
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), 34th StreetJanuary 21, 2015
Co worker was okay to work With it Depends On What Department You Work In You get to Meet Alot Of Different People And Fast Paste Sometimes the Time Flys Right By
Average
Retail Support Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: helping others
Cons: very tedious
The work wasn't hard but it wasn't exciting either. I was switched and worked between different managers and there were sometimes I was taken out of my comfort zone and placed in an area I wasn't familiar with. I didn't particularly learn anything I wouldn't know, like putting coats on hangars and then on racks. Most of my co-workers were friendly, it a friendly environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping someone out, even though it was part of the job, I was always happy to assist.
Ask other employees before accepting a job
Fragrance Associate (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: sometimes they feed you
Cons: short break, hr doesn't check when you're actually available
The store I worked at had horrible communication skills. They only trained by watching a video. If you're lucky you'll start the following week after training but most start up to 1 month AFTER watching the training videos. On your first official day no will help you. They force you to make customers apply for a credit card and to put them into a client list when you HAVE to call them once every 3 months if not you get a bad evaluation and they won't give you a raise. The raise is usually only about .10- .25 cents if you're lucky. As soon as your hired they force you to open a credit card or "pre-paid" card to receive store discounts. Management changes like crazy. They put so much more stress on you than that's needed. Just don't do it!! HR doesn't check when you're actually available they just call regardless of the time. No matter what department you work they will make you fold the clothes.
nice place to work
sales (Former Employee), Mesquite, TXJanuary 20, 2015
-meet new people
-make customers happy
-clean your area
-co-workers are really nice and respectful
-the hardest part is putting back clothes
-the most enjoyable part is communicationg with customers
Great customer service and workplace!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Cons: low hourly pay.
Macy's is a great place to work. An associate can interact with a variety of customers everyday. Learning to build up your customer service is something I learn everyday at Macy's. I greet customers and advise them to the best of my ability. Along with working the cash register has helped me to become specialized in that area. My coworkers and managers are great and are there to help me when needed.
Enjoyed Working there.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Southfield, MIJanuary 20, 2015
I had a great time working there. There were perks to working there and I also met a lot of great people. Definitely has its ups and downs.
Fun and safe work place.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Burbank, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: the ability to change our schedule
Working at Macy's definitely was a great work environment they always keep us motivated.