Macy's
9,273 reviews

Macy's Employee Reviews

A productive and fun working place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Homestead, PAJune 25, 2015
I socialize with amazing customers!
I learn How to communicate more properly with a great personality.
The managers are able to elaborate on any questions.
My co workers work as a team!
Employment at Macy's
Cashier (Current Employee), Dearborn, MIJune 25, 2015
Pros: the people
Cons: no room for advancement
Working for Macy's is different for me. I have never worked in a Department Store in the many years I worked in retail. The people are amazing, and so are the managers. I have never worked with such an amazing store manager until I started working for Macy's
fun friendly workplace that gives you great customer service experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cerritos, CAJune 24, 2015
Pros: friendly coworkers, good about breaks
Cons: lack of growth
I loved working for Macy's.
I worked in watches and had a lot of passion for just being a friendly helpful face that was willing to go above and beyond for my company as well as for the customers.
I usually would start off making sure items were clean, put away in their proper places. I would then follow up to check around the area to make sure proper pricing labels are placed on products.
In downtime I would make sure the store was clean and presentable and inviting.
I wouldn't say it was a difficult job by any means.
I really enjoy being able to brighten other's days and be the reason that they chose to come back to me.
Nice flow
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Providence, RIJune 24, 2015
actually loved working here... its easy to get into contact with management when you need help. You can call out/pick up shifts/advertise unwanted shifts/ change schedule online.
Prodcutive and very fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), El Centro, CAJune 24, 2015
Pros: Everything is great no complains
Cons: N/A
since the day I started working here everyone welcomed me as part of their macys family. Everyone is so kind and respectful. Aside from that everyone will help you if you don't know how something works or if you don't know anything at the moment. the training is great and will set you to the standards that macys expects. I have learned how to multi task and provide excellent customer service. My co workers were great everyone was very sweet with me and I felt like if I had been working with them for years.
great company
Support (Current Employee), Goodlettsville, TNJune 24, 2015
great company to work for. good with working with your personal life as far as your schedule. Easy work, dependable company
Constructive and slow hours
Support Staff (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
Pros: holiday pay
Cons: Not enough hours
A typical day at work is unloading stock trucks, pricing and tagging merchandise to be ready to be put on the sales floor. I learned how to use their updated scanning devices to search and find prices for merchandise. It was a lack off communication with their management system and me , because I expressed that I needed more hours but my feelings and thought was not even acknowledged . My co-workers were willing to work with me to get out work task done . There was not any hard part of the it was all memory and basic knowledge. The most enjoyable part was helping assist customer.
seasonal help
Cashier (Former Employee), Okemos, MIJune 24, 2015
Pros: a quiet work place
Cons: not a high pay rate
no training was provided at this job. I sat in a back room on a fake register for hours and was put on the sales floor with no training.
fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 24, 2015
the over all environment was up beat and fun. management was always nice and there to help you out when ever you needed something. very flexible
very fast pace work place
Retail manager/seassonal (Former Employee), Downey, CAJune 24, 2015
Pros: kept me busy and caught on pretty fast
Cons: over staffed
i had a good time working there but at times i felt like they were over staffed to the point where sometimes there would be nothing to do but if we didnt do anything we would get in trouble
productive and fun work place
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJune 24, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: short breaks
It was a really good job that i really really loved. You get to learn so much about so many different people. co workers were great
Productive work place nice people
Retail commissions (Current Employee), Coral Springs, FLJune 24, 2015
Great work place, the associates are very kind and helpful, me as well. I've learned a lot from this job, the co-workers are very helpful and great teachers. the hardest part of the job is getting enough hours and being able to make enough money and getting to where you want to be. The most enjoyable part about the job would be making the customers happy and giving them reasons to come back.
Hectic Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Merrillville, INJune 24, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people, seeing the new fashion
Cons: Difficult to advance, compensation
A typical day at Macy's varied, because if there is no sale, it is slow, but if there is a sale it is busy. I didn't really learn anything while working at Macy's. Management was very encouraging when they wanted the associates to get customers to open up a Macy's credit card. My co-workers were great people to work with. Some of them became good friends and we would hang out outside of work. The hardest part of the job was getting customers to sign up for the Macy's credit card. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the new fashion coming out.
Okay Place To Work
Sales associate (Former Employee), Henderson, NVJune 24, 2015
Macy's seems like a fun place to work on the surface but the customers and managers are rude, and stuck up. Associates were constantly trying to stab each other in the back. Managers hardly wanted to help the associates, they said to figure everything out on your own.
Good company
Freelance Makeup Artist (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 24, 2015
I learned so much working here and they gave me opportunities to advance myself and flexible. I enjoyed working with other employees and managers very friendly atmosphere
Great place to work your first job.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Richmond, CAJune 24, 2015
Great place to start your working career. Helps build customer service skills and money handling. Very flexible. Great Co workers. most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers when needed.
Macys
Supervisor (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJune 24, 2015
My experience her was not good i would not recommend this job to no one, managers was never doing their job and personally i think they need a hold new system.
Good while you're in school
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2015
I worked at Macy's for six years while in high school and throughout my undergrad education. The hours are flexible and there was little fear of being laid off as long as I showed up and worked my shift to the best of my ability. Hours can be difficult around the holidays, but that's to be expected with retail.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2015
Pros: flexable scheduling
Cons: sometimes not enough hours
1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other – more... associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks – less
Great Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pompano Beach, FlJune 24, 2015
Pros: Set your own hours
I like working for Macy's. There's always room to grow. You can set your own hours. The staff and managers are great ad helpful.

About Macy's

The nation's #1 department store chain has adopted the name of its most famous brand and cash cow: Macy's. Macy's, Inc. operates – Read more

Macy's Salaries