Macy's Employee Reviews

Stressful underpaid workplace
Frontline phones customer support and data entry (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 12, 2017
Stressful work environment--not enough staff and staff that comes and goes. Good opportunity to learn in fast paced environment. You learn a lot but at times its too much and they always want you to know more--almost too much information that is poorly organized making it difficult to quickly access needed information causing longer call and hold times for customers. Sometimes feels like there is not enough support from leaders who come and go also.
Pros
ability to earn points that can be used for call out days which are unpaid, but do not cause a write up
Cons
Not enough pay for the job youre asked to perform, Having to pay for benefits
stressful environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 12, 2017
good place to work at for just seasonal position other than that would not work there full time there are many management conflicts with in the company
Pros
discounts
Cons
Terrible management
It was a fun place to work.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 12, 2017
I enjoyed working here. I met a lot of people and ran into some friends I had lost contact with. I worked during the holidays so it was a very busy time. Everyone in the store was very nice. It was a joy to come to work.
Generally easy but inactive job
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CONovember 12, 2017
The tasks to be done are very simple however that made for a boring environment, rarely talking to people that were not customers and often working large areas by yourself.
Macys at Cherry Hill Mall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJNovember 12, 2017
It was an okay experience. Store Managers need to treat their employees better. The assistant store manager wanted things done a certain way and when it was done that way but customers didn’t accept it the ASM was called to help. She made the employee look like they didn’t know what they were doing and instead gave the customer what they wanted, which was against the policy the ASM wanted to “enforce”.
Pros
Twice a year 40% off cosmetics and 50% off fragrances, managers(besides store manager and assistant store manager) worked with you, very flexible hours, easy to pick up extra hours and give away hours.
Cons
Everything else.
if you love people this is for you!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CANovember 12, 2017
I am a people person, and i absolutely adored making people smile based off their purchases. what i didn't like, was the lack of people and lack of management skills. also the style for checking customers out, there is no flow or speedy way to do it. one other negative was not being able to balance time with my kids or being part of their school things. this job is for a college student or an older generation. not for a parent with younger kids. I did like the online feature of managing your schedule and being able to pick up or put your shift up for grabs for others. so there was a tiny bit of flexibility,
Pros
discounts on products
Cons
lack of management style.
bad management
Dock Associate (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYNovember 12, 2017
never had enough hours I would work maybe 3 days a week, was placed in different places when I was told I would be in one place, management was not very good, pay was bad
Macys
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLNovember 12, 2017
Macy's was my first job, I found it fun and educational. a typical day at work would include working on the floor, selling to customers, keeping your working area clean, and folding clothes. management was fine there I never really had any problems only thing I would say that I had a problem with would be the hours the working hours were not good.
Productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PANovember 12, 2017
Macy’s is a good place to work especially when you’re just starting out. You get crossed trained on everything and can add lots of experience to your resume. Overall I enjoyed working for Macy’s I just wish they paid more.
Good place to start
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 12, 2017
Retail is not a fun place to work ever. But Macy's was not bad, there was a lot of changes throughout the one and half I was there. But the changes were all for the benefit of the employees.
good management and work flow
Juniors Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJNovember 11, 2017
The work ethic is upbeat and welcoming. management is professional and kind. The entire team worked together and kept up with what was needed to be done.
Lots of clothes
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 11, 2017
Long standing for 9 hours

Quite painfull

Lots of clothes

Friendly staff

Employee discounts

There is a great opportunity to study retail

The job !
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Long standing
Fun Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHNovember 11, 2017
Very flexible with your schedule. Friendly staff and Management. Loved the discounts. There is always someone who is willing to help you when you need assistance. Training was always great.
Pros
Nice cafeteria
macy's work life
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXNovember 11, 2017
Alot of work in merchandising always on the run doing tasks, also learned to interact with customers while working for macy's. A good job for someone who is in high school, college, or older just looking to get out the house. Otherwise it is retail and there is hardly any place for advancement unless management likes you.
Pros
cool manager, friendly co-workers, usually nice customers
Cons
Alot of walking, lots of tasks always very busy in merchandising
fast paced.
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yorktown Heights, NYNovember 11, 2017
job is very competive. staff not always team players but will help when needed. If you like cut throat retail than this is your place to be. Had to have major surgery thats why i left
Pros
discounts
Cons
everone for them selves
Not my favourite.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lihue, HINovember 11, 2017
The work was fine enough. But there are quotas to meet which can be difficult especially when a lot a people are working the same day. you have to fight for the register to make a sale. including sales we had to make sure the sales floor was organized and clean which a job in itself. (I had the mens underwear and apparently no one knows what men's underwear looks like so they HAD to take them out of the package and just leave them around constantly. It would take me two hours to get it cleaned and organized only for another customer to come in behind me and mess it up just a little so my manager had something to yell at me about and an accuse me of not doing my job. so yeah. not fun.)
Diverse Workspace with Some Opportunity
Assistant Financial Planner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2017
The company is going through a lot of changes and there is a lot of job frustration in every role. That being said, there are considerable opportunities to learn and develop and become a true merchant in the retail industry in the U.S.
Was glad when it was over..
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WANovember 11, 2017
Mostly great co-workers, mostly poor management. Overall managers not qualified to lead or manage people. .70 cent pay raise in 3+ years, health insurance offered not affordable for most employees, no sick leave! You earn attendance points( 2 per month), which they then deduct from the balance if you get sick. When you run out of points, you get fired!! Recommend as Temp. job only, not long term.
Pros
Mostly nice co-workers. Additional 20% macy's employee discount on purchases.
Cons
No sick leave, health insurance not affortable, .70 cent pay-raise in 3+ years.
Best opportunity
Beauty Advisor/Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CANovember 11, 2017
The place you get to earn a good experience through meeting new customer everyday, we get to learn working in pressure, my manager was always helpful, taught me about managing counter in her absence.
Terrible
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 11, 2017
Store is filthy and merchandise is disorganized. Counter space for employees is cluttered and you can’t find anything. Macy’s only seem concerned with pushing credit card on customers and less concerned with the makeup of their stores and merchandise. After working here I now understand why Macy’s is losing money. I use to be a shopper because of the the deals but I will be giving my business and time to Nordstrom. Macy’s pay is not competitive compared to other department stores and the only store worth going to is in NYC. Very disappointing company to work for.
Pros
1hour lunch, fast paced, dealing with customers
Cons
Management, micromanaging, disorganization, our-dated practices and systems

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.