Macy's
7,724 reviews

Macy's Employer Reviews

Terrible workplace
Salesman Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 18, 2015
You're assigned to a big area by yourself and they expect for you to keep it neat while providing outstanding customer service and never taking no for an answer from a customer, even when most of the time the customer drags you out of your area and you have to attend to them which takes up to 45 minutes. If you're in the area you were assigned and its neat and no customers in it, you basically got coached if you spend more than one minute just standing idly. Always insanely crowded and the compensation doesn't make it worth it, theres no benefits nor ways of advancement.
Employment Review
Seasonal Stock Associate (Former Employee), Christiana Mall, DelawareJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: supportive manangment and coworkers
I enjoyed my experience at Macy's. The management provided a very supportive team and motivated us at all times to do our best. Because of my work ethic and committed attitude towards work, I was able to thrive as an employee.
I liked many aspects and my co-workers.
Sales Associate, Gourmet Foods, Men's Furnishings (Former Employee), Chicago, IL - State StreetJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: employee discounts and macy's money
Cons: recovery
As a retail store the typical day would begin with getting the area I worked in ready for guests. Greeting guersts and assisting them in finding what they were looking for.
My co-workers and I got along quite well and were supportive.
My manager pretty much left our area alone, as it was well organized and managment was rarely needed.
The hardest part, I guess, was the recovery of merchandise.
Most enjoyabe was the returning guests who would seek me out.
What I learned was more patience then I thought I ever had.
Thoroughly enjoyed working with management and associates.
Part Time Human Resources and Executive Mail Room (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 18, 2015
Part of the Human Resources position allowed much interaction with interviewees and associates. It was a pleasant and fulfilling experience as everyone was welcoming and made the workplace stress free. The job requirements and daily work responsibilities were in line with my job as "on call". I made many good friends and will remember this job with satisfaction and good memories.
short and easy days
Receiving Associate (Former Employee), Strongsville, OHJanuary 18, 2015
unloaded trucks and processed merchandise. helped out with other departments with what they needed. did minor cleaning and moving. got along with everybody there, management was good too. most days were very short so the pay wasnt very good
Productive,
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Garden City, NYJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
Management and co-workers were very helpful at every aspect. The hardest part was getting use to coming through the employees entrance. Enjoyable part was dressing nice everyday and helping customers tilt hey left with a smile.
I work with a great team, peers, and most of all managment.
ADMINISTRATIVE HR ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Wayne, NJJanuary 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working at Macy's is having a great supportive team. I started the HR Admin position with no experience; however, the company offered paid training. Today I have gained new productive skills. I am proficient in Oracle and Taleo scheduling for HR information systmes.
A great place to work.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJanuary 18, 2015
I was hired as a seasonal employee for the holidays. They provided training beforehand and once I got out on the floor, everyone was very helpful in showing me how to use the registers and explaining the layout of the store so that I can help customers find the items they are looking for. Looking forward to working here again for the next holiday season.
Good work life balance
Visual Manager (Current Employee), Altoona, PAJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: a flexible schedule.
Cons: work week is now a 37.5 hour a week.
As a Visual Manager, you would walk the sales floor everyday. You must set up graphics for projects, style mannequins to the most up to date fashion, and place product in the best location on the sales floor for the event.
Sales (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: discounted lunch
Cons: not being able to enjoy the environment
A typical day at work was typical clock in and get to work as cashier. i learned to deal with unhappy customers and how to answer questions about the products. management was okay. The hardest part of job was trying to find ways to enjoy the job.
Fun workplace
Shoe Expeditor (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILJanuary 17, 2015
Nice, family oriented work place, where everyone is enjoying there day and working together to make the day easier. The manager were very friendly and nice and my co-workers were fun and outgoing. The hardest part of the job is staying on top of all the orders that come in every 2 seconds and running around getting them. The most enjoyable was when we all came together for breaks and enjoyed our company.
Somewhat unprofessional environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJanuary 17, 2015
I would usually have random hours to come in for shifts but I feel in the mornings management would be on top of things. My co-workers and I were pretty diligent workers and were always tasking when the need be. Sometimes certain associates would be fooling around and the managers would pay no mind to it. The hardest part of the job was trying to do the store clean-up at the end of the day, it would get very messy. The most enjoyable part of the job was the extended breaks.
Fun but somewhat pressured environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lake Grove, NYJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: store discount, family oriented
I was there to increase the consumers satisfaction and sell merchandise
Over is a great seond job
Manager-Trim-A-Home Department, Sales, Team Leader (Former Employee), North Olmsted, OHJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: great pay, vaction time
Cons: no advancement, no time allowed for college
Over I really did enjoy working at Macys. I met many individuals and was able to transfer to different departments with the store I did learn about all the products at Macys carries both in store and online,

Hardest pat of the job was never giving in to the broken ethics, Finding there is always 2 set of rules, However I maintain with the company code of conduct and rules.
Great place to gain experience but horrible management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), 151 West 34th Street,January 16, 2015
Pros: macy's money
Cons: unorganized
My first few months in macy's were amazing. My manager was absolutely encoureging to move up in the company, but after my first promotion things went downhill. If you don't have any work experience I'll encourage you to work here but if you have work experience you should apply somewhere else.
Diverse work area
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: able to advance
Cons: low pay scale
Able to work in different departments in store
Team members are knowledgeable of their work area
Able to advance
Well informed Managers
Face to face with customer to get their input in overall customer satisfaction.
Transportation was my personal issue
Fun, Productive Face-Pace work enviorment!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILJanuary 16, 2015
Management is very helpful! Co-workers were very friendly and informative! All around great vibe!
Stessful confusing enviroment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Westland, MIJanuary 16, 2015
The company caters too much to the customers. If there is an issue with a customer that is not protected under their agreements Macy's will overlook their employees and fully agree with the customer. This makes the communication between employees look bad and allows the customer to come back and do the same thing again.
Great
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Chicago,ILJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: pay, co-workers, discounts
Cons: short breaks, hot work area, slippery floors
Overall, it was a great work experience; It taught me a lot. The people were fun to work with and the job was fairly easy to me. The hardest part of the job was trying not to slip and fall while carry the dishes around.
Macy's was a good place to work.
District Planner Handbags and Intimate Apparel (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 16, 2015
Macy's was a good company to work for. They had a very good training program for their District Planners. I learned a lot that will help me in the future at this company.