Macy's
8,974 reviews

Macy's Employee Reviews

not enough hours
customer service (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 27, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: bad pay no hours
They literally give you 10-15 hours a week how are you supp to live off of that that doesn't even pay my car payment and they change shifts and hours everyday and I have two sons and have to find babysitters and the staff is new every couple of months and I had to leave no hours and not good pay!!
great working environment and experience
loading and unloading (Former Employee), Secaucus, NJMay 27, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
A typical day at work will start off with our supervisors assigning us 2-4 trucks to load up, co-workers were all on the same page the hardest part of the job were when your lines get backed up and you have to clear it before your other lines get backed up
Succession Unavailable for career path
ASTA Human Resources/Operations (Current Employee), Mason OhioMay 27, 2015
As I enjoy the people I work with, my company is not competitive with total compensation and benefits for it's executive team. My career path is limited due to my department downsizing.
Team
ACCOUNT COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 27, 2015
-Work in various stores with the Team.
-Review with Team weekly/monthly business
-Introduce new products brought into the business and communicate
how to exceed exceptional client service. This was done through communication and showing the Team via example how this is done.
-Communicated to all Teams via Conference Call once a week.
-Met with upper management to discuss Event Planning and Execution.
-Emails and reports sent to the District Merchant on Action Plans for opportunity stores.

My most enjoyable part of my position was with Client Service. Meeting, engaging and assuring they received and continue to received exceptional Client Service.
Fun
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 27, 2015
It was fun working at Macy's where I got to interact with customers, assisting them in choosing products and even have an opinion on other products to with.
Since it was my first sales job, it was a bit challenge to meet my the goals at first time. In time, I was able to adjust very well and became one of the top sales associates.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I was able to advice customers on complimentary or substitute products. Through weekly customer survey I was able to get good customer satisfaction feedback.
fellow employees were great, but the hours and pay weren't good
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Meriden, CTMay 27, 2015
I worked at macy's for a year, at first just as seasonal but they kept me for longer. at first the hours were good, flexible, I was working about 18 hours a week, holidays were about 40 and they chopped my hours down to 4, without warning or explanation as to why. the mangers all but one were persistent and came immediately when you needed help
Excellent career
Executive Manager (Former Employee), AlaskaMay 27, 2015
Pros: Experience of a lifetime
Cons: always on duty
My typical work day would include...filing all new reports, or creating new files for incoming soldiers. Scheduling new trainings for current soldiers. Reviewing all letters from my command team to ensure accuracy. Great team to work with, enjoyed every moment. Hardest thing about my job was ensuring that every soldier was well trained for the battle field. Every day I learned something new.
Inappropriate
Merchandiser (Former Employee), North Attleboro, MAMay 27, 2015
Unprofessional, seems more like gossip hour rather than employees focused on work. Many people stepping on others' toes unnecessarily.
Fun Retail experience
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMay 27, 2015
Responsible for retail sales, promotion, ordering, account payments, and store card benefits in the men's and
women's fragrances department.
A Seesaw of Events
Level II Sales Associate (Former Employee), Springfield, MAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Discounts, co-workers
Cons: Pay, breaks, time off, management
Macy's is not very employee friendly. They are much more concerned with how much work they can get out of you versus making an even trade off as in, you bring your skill set to them to enhance the business and in return, you receive additional skills & enhancement on current ones. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

They can be overbearing on their associates by demanding them to acquire so much from the customer, that in return, the customer has a less than stellar shopping experience.

Management could be refined greatly. Lower management consistently nag employees. Much of this is cause from upper management applying strict deadlines for performance measures on the lower management.

The schedule is not flexible at all, although they guilt you into believing so with their online scheduler.

The best part of working there was the pleasant customers and co-workers.
Work
ASSET PROTECTION MANAGER (Current Employee), Industry, CAMay 27, 2015
Pros: paid time off and other benefits like 401k
Cons: Overworked and little pay
If you work hard they do reward you and move you up. However, they don't pay internal candidates at a competitive salary like they would someone from the outside.
Corporation Respects associates like real people.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Joppa, MDMay 27, 2015
Pros: paid lunch, professional respectful corporation, incentives and room for advancement !
Cons: No holiday pay for 6 months, 12 hour shifts and( no nights )
It's crazy how so many corporations seems nice but with hidden agendas.. I'm surprised macys actually has morals.
I was hired in three days ( no drug screening and background check took until the next day ) as seasonal but orientation day they changed my status to part time. In less than a month I became full time . One thing is its basically 12 hour shifts or less depending on your availability, volume and hours they can give and you don't get holiday pay for 6 months or a raise for a year ! The jobs in there are fairly easy.... its a logistics facility not rocket science. But Macy's is a great place to work for. You wouldn't regret it if you did !!!
ok
Cashier (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILMay 26, 2015
at macys i run back clothes and other thing in help people out with the thing they pick.and that place is nice but they dont have anything right.
Working in the walnut room at Macy's
Food Busser (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 26, 2015
I had a great experience working at Macy's for this seasonal position but I was able to meet new people that was different from me, when I first arrive there I had alot of different co-workers show me so many ways to get better at moving with speed . At this job I learned how to be a role model such as a leader, everything was a fast past movement because it was always a busy environment full of customers. I think there was never a hard part about working with Macy's because I always got the job done no matter what.
will over work you with little pay
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 26, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
The most enjoyable part of working for macys is the customers that shop in the home department. Their friendly and will come to see you all the time. The hardest part of the job is lifting & moving items on big sale days. The management some times work together but the assume you know the ends & out. A typical day working at macys is hoping every one shows up at work to work their schedule if not your going be short staffed and your going to have to handle a lot of customer complaints. Human Resources show favor to certain employees the have points for coming to work on time & being absent & late. Some people get to zero points and are allowed to stay while most get fired. Chesapeake Square Macys is not on a eye to eye level. The store has great potential to be a great business
Loud and busy workplace
Flex Associate (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJMay 26, 2015
Pros: Mall discount on food
Cons: Breaks seem short, constantly having to retrace your steps to re-clean after shoppers.
A lot of the day is spent cleaning up after shoppers. So much of the shift is spent doing so, it is difficult to do what it is that you're supposed to be doing. Along with cleaning up sections, you are to ring or help ring up any shoppers that come to your area to check out. Some management seem to forgot how hard it is being on the front line sometimes and some coworkers aren't very friendly. The hardest part is finding a good time to go on your break in the midst of ringing up customers. An enjoyable part is the mall itself which you can hang out in before or after your shift.
productive and fun working enviroment.
Recovery Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 26, 2015
Working with Macy's was an interesting experience. Co-workers were welcoming and offered their assistance whenever I needed it. The days were quite hectic with customers, from which I developed a face pace work ethic, flexibility, patience, and the ability to improvise when needed.
Fast and fun workplace
Sales Supervisor, Women's Shoes (Former Employee), Minnetonka, MNMay 26, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Long hours
Every shift was different, which I loved. I never knew what I was going to come in to. I enjoyed finding solutions for customers and the associates. The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't make the client happy. I loved all the different people I worked with.
Great place to work!!!
ASSET PROTECTION MANGER (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 26, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Traffic of downtown Houston.
Performance driven promotion environment. Day to day operation of shortage reduction efforts to include self audits, shortage reduction meetings, external and internal apprehensions, safety requirement checks and vulnerability walks. Manage a staff of 6 Detectives and 3 Visual security officers.
Boring
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Hicksville, NYMay 26, 2015
Pros: Friendly people
Cons: Boring, older workers
Boring job, lots of clothes folding, easy work but major time kill. Management was a pain, albeit friendly. Lots of time to yourself, but constant folding, cashiering, and standing.

About Macy's

The nation's #1 department store chain has adopted the name of its most famous brand and cash cow: Macy's. Macy's, Inc. operates – Read more

Macy's Salaries