Macy's
8,151 reviews

Macy's Employer Reviews

Terrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee), Orem, UTFebruary 24, 2015
The management here treats their employees horribly. They say they care but they really don't. All it boils down to is numbers—they literally do not care about the wellness of the employees. They don't make it a "magical" place to work. They don't pay you enough to do all the things that are expected of you. This company is run by cheap skates and cheats. They cut positions because they don't want to pay their employees. The demote them.

I don't recommend working here—unless you really want to learn how to hate people.
About Macys
sales associate (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: very clean store
Cons: didn't have a lot of things that customers wanted and we had to tell customers
Its a fast paced environment you have to be a quick learner to work here. The employees that I've worked with were really nice and helpful and patient with me and customers. The things that I loved the must about working there is that some of the customers were really nice and it made me feel good to know that I could help them with what they needed. But also there were people that weren't really nice or patient that would be difficult but I tried my best to make sure I could service them to my best ability. If I couldn't I would call a manager and the mangers were really nice with me with assisting with a customer.
Mismanagement
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sherman Oaks, CAFebruary 24, 2015
The management team seems to know what their doing however they seem to fail to realize the world we live in. Constant pressure and unpleasant treatment of its employees and they fail to recognize hard work when it is done.
Productive and Fun Environment
Seasonal General Sales Associate (Former Employee), Arcadia, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: fellow employees, equal pay, breaks
Cons: finding shifts
Being seasonal I worked in what ever position I could find shifts in that week. This made for late shifts and early shifts back to back in order to get in hours.
Nice place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Columbus, GAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great discounts
Cons: unavailable work schedule
When working with great co workers your job is quite easy and very enjoyable. They offer great discounts for employees.
Great Place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Saint Peters, MOFebruary 24, 2015
Picked up as a job while I was in school and have enjoyed it since. Works well with school schedule. Great team to work for with great support.
Great PLace to Gain experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Harper Woods, MIFebruary 24, 2015
Good place to get customer service and retail experience. Only thing is needed is for management personnel to have a more patience for students. Employee discount is also a plus.
early experience of work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 24, 2015
emotional roller coaster bit of a great experience of the good and bad times a job can be. The fact of having the inner beast come out of you at hectic times can be a trill , not quite like the bad days of having items misplace and unsatisfying customers.
Productive and a fun workplace
Intimates Sales Associate (Former Employee), College Station, TXFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: discounts on cloths and cosmetics
Cons: short breaks
I loved working for this company it was really fun most days. It can get a little crazy during holidays but that's any company. Co-workers were really sweet and welcoming.
Slightly Better Than Your Average Retailer
ASSET PROTECTION MANAGER (Former Employee), Bloomington, ILFebruary 23, 2015
"What you see is what you get." Macy's is a massive retailer, so it is exactly what you would expect. You work most nights, weekends and holidays. When I was hourly I made more than I would have made at similar companies; however, when I was salaried management, I made just as much as I would have at any other retailer. Upper-level management really was not bad at all. They seemed better than most other upper-level management teams that I have worked for. Again, like most other retailers, there is little job security. There were numerous positions while I was there, especially salaried management, that were cut because the company wanted to restructure. There was one woman who had been with the company 15+ years and was still doing the job well, and they let her go just like that because they were changing the position. It is unfortunate, but it is the current corporate mindset. Overall, they are the best retailer that I have worked for, but it is still a retail company in Corporate America so do not expect much.
No room for growth
Administrative Support Team Member (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
Hard to advance within the company. Work/life balance is terrible. Had more knowledge of the job than my supervisor. Was not pleased with culture of the office.
Good job to work at.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Garden City, NYFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: benefits, flexible schedule, good environment.
Cons: not so friendly co-workers.
Busy Environment. Friendly customers, management was friendly. Enjoyable part was getting noticed of your hard work and receiving good criticism. Hardest part was building a relationship with co-workers.
enjoy
ticketer (Former Employee), Paramus, NJFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great and fun place to work
Cons: n/a
it was a learning experience. the coworkers was nice and pleasant. learnt a lot about merchandise and the retail department
Productive and Schedule friendly
Sales Associates (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYFebruary 23, 2015
Working at Macys gave me a better understanding of how to deal with customers. I had a great time being able to help everyone in whatever they needed. The environment was also very friendly.
Favoritism Culture
Brand Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
Macy's corporate office prides themselves on having good work-life balance. While for the most part this is true, it definitely depends on the team. Some areas are consistently more busy than others, and some functions within the same area are more busy than others. The culture prides themselves on having a "teams win" mentality, but there are also key "star" employees that they like to promote quickly throughout the ranks, sometimes with less than one year of experience in each position.
Flexible and Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILFebruary 23, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of maintaining good customer relations while helping customers with whatever they need while shopping at Macy's. Working at Macy's Department Store taught me how to multitask and communicate with fellow coworkers to solve problems and make every customer happy. The hardest part of working is not always being able to find a solution to a customer problem, but with the help of the managers, we can always find a fitting solution. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with such friendly people.
Sales Support
Sales Support (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
Special orders coordinator.
Loss prevention.
Cashier: Cash, check, credit and automatic debit card transactions with 100% accuracy.
Accomplishments: Earned highest marks for customer satisfaction.
Great company to work for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Gurnee, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great managment
Cons: not enough hours/ opportunities
I usually started my day off greeting customers and eventually someone would need my help finding something. That's the high light of my day. Most customers loved my opinion on what shoes go with what, or what color shirt/pants would be suitable for there event. Since I'm big on fashion, I always appreciated it. The bad thing is trying to help someone that's extremely picky. I could almost never get the job done.
wonderful work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: very exciting fast paced busy work environment
Cons: seasonal job
I had a great time working at Macy's. The fast paced work environment never got dull. I learned to manage time and multitask with ease. This job also required me to clean the busy store during the holiday season.
Nice Place With Great Pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: pay, employee discount, and good benefits
Cons: inflexible work schedule, aggressive sale obsessed coworkers
When I was initially hired my manager was awesome, but through the year I went through 3 managers including the original. The later 2 were very lost and made the work environment hectic.
The coworkers inside my department were friendly until it came to sales and credits. Macy's is NOT flexible with the schedule. If no one picks up your shift you can still call out, but at a risk of being harassed by your managers the next time you work.

About Macy's

The nation's #1 department store chain has adopted the name of its most famous brand and cash cow: Macy's. Macy's, Inc. operates – Read more

Macy's Salaries