Macy's Employee Reviews

Found 10,695 reviews matching the search
Productive and quick past work environment
Sale Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2013
The work atmosphere of Macy's is a fast past and productive. Its very crowded during the day and at the night the shift is more manageable, not as crowded. What I learned about the company is that they are very diverse, you make a connections with your customers and you become their assisting personal shopper. Macy's keep you updated with the changes to or special events that are to come. What I also learned from the company is that you have to be aware of your customers when they are they shop you can a feel or an gestures that signal you that they need your help. You want to make your customer comfortable to talk u about what they need. However, the company has 850 department stores around the world including Bloomingdales and also including one in Guam, Puerto Rico. My coworkers are very determined and persistent when it comes down to achieving sales goals that were set for us individually, which shows how the company is growing. The hardest part about the job is providing assistance to customers all over the the world, understanding what they are looking for and provide them with information about the item, searching for it and making sure that are satisified with what they are looking for. Putting on smile on people faces, is what Macy's want from there customers. Therefore, I had a very good experience working for them getting to know everybody and how they work. Not only that, getting to know my managers, they have pushed me to keep up the good work, when the atmosphere gets ruff, I'm there to sooth it out.
Pros
the lunch breaks, the benefits, the uniform, flexible hours and schcedule set up
Cons
payroll, teamwork, cummunication, time
Wonderful company, manager, and coworkers. Fast-paced and fun environment.
Executive Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NYMarch 4, 2015
A typical day at work included looking up and charting the daily and weekly sales figures for each department and the store, before holding a "pep" rally to inform everyone what was going on in the store that day, and how their department was performing. From there, I was constantly watching each associate's performance and coaching him or her if I noticed he or she was having difficulty in sales or needed guidance in customer service. I was also in charge of covering shift changes, or to fill shifts if someone called in sick at the last minute. I coached my team on sales, and came up with fun ways to motivate them into reaching their goals so they would have fun while going beyond the expectations. The hardest part of my job were the frequent days that I would have to work 12-14 hour shifts in order to get our store set up for a District Manager's visit, but even that I did not mind too much, because I liked making sure the store looked perfect. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with such a great team and in such an upbeat atmosphere, where people (for the most part) were happy to be there and were willing to do what was asked of them, and my manager who was such a great role model and a great man who would give guidance while letting me do things how I saw fit (within company standards) and help me when I needed it.
Pros
getting to use my management knowledge in a fun way
Very sales driven establishment with hard working employees that go above and beyond to please the customer
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 4, 2013
At Macys, Customer service is key. Without great customer service the store would definitely not be what it is today. A typical day at Macy's starts off with a morning rally to prepare the employees for the days event such as sales and what we can do to encourage company growth. After that we are sent to our schedule departments with the customer always being our first priority. The management at my facility can be a little impatient at times as well as badger the associate about opening Macys accounts for customer who have clearly stated thier un-interest in it but they are always there when you need big help. My co-workers in my department are very helpful. We all are willing to help each other out with work related situations as well of out of work situation and because of that, we treat each other like family. The hardest part of my job would have to be that when you are hired as a sales associate, they expect us to do everything such as clean up the department meaning pick up any loose clothes or hangers off the floor, clean out the fitting room, answer calls to help over the phone customers as well as help customers as customer service and service as a cashier; and at times, doing all this on a busy sale day and you are scheduled all by yourself with no help. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my fellow co-workers in my department. We have all worked in the same department for a year or two so we have all developed a special bond. Working with them makes me feel good about my day at Macys.
Enjoyable and Rewarding
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYMay 22, 2012
While I was only here a few months it was truly a fun place to work! I came in, clocked in (sometimes at this time of year its soo busy you forget to clock in because once you are there you're forced to jump right in), put your things away (usually under the register) and went about doing what I did. They may have you as just 1 job officially, but you really do a little of everything.
I really learned about proper and real customer service and how to help people and get things done instead of just handing it off to someone else. Generally, most people who work there are friendly and fun, though a few really need to leave due to attitude issues but for the most part people are there because that's what they want to do.
Management was great! They were always very helpful and understanding if you had a problem or didn't understand anything it was never inconveniencing them to ask because you were valued and a direct reflection of management.
The hardest part is the most enjoyable, which is the customers. Sometimes, you get rather nasty people who want to do anything they can to weasel the company out of money and who are just extremely unpleasant no matter what you do for them or how nice you are. Then again, most people are friendly and love being helped and appreciate the things you do for them, I helped a group of girls find not winter formal shoes but also dresses and they were soo happy/excited, it was great!
Pros
on the clock bathroom breaks
Cons
not a lot of room to move up to management
Great place to build experience, but not to advance
Star Selling Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Eastwood MallJanuary 15, 2012
I accepted a seasonal supervisory position with Macy's, under the belief I would most likely be kept on after the season was through. After seeing the way the store was run, and how negative all the employees become in time due to fierce competition, I am glad they 'didn't have hours in the budget for' me. The management was scattered and largely unprofessional. Gossip abounded, and no one was spared, even in the higher echelons of power. Through the computer based training, the writers and programmers make Macy's seem like a really cool place to work, where everyone helps each other out, and everyone gets along. In my role, I was expected to support sales managers, and occasionally be in charge of the entire sales floor. Most of the duties relegated to me included cleaning out fitting rooms, working in the shoe stockroom, and taking customer pick-ups out to the parking lot. I am not saying I am above any of these duties, it's just that these are things normally done by people in other positions, hired for those specific things. I don't like being led to believe what I will be hired for is not what I end up doing.
Pros
tolerance policies, free food once in a while, easy to adhere to dress code
Cons
sloppy management, gossip, job duties don't match descriptions at all, negativity all around with employees
Warning: Choose your Department Wisely
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJOctober 30, 2015
It's very easy to get a job in Macy's specially on holidays. Every job is very easy to do and you get a chance to meet a lot of people. Employment is 100% chance and earning money while not doing your job is also 100% chance.

However
It's a company full of entitled lazy people.
Management is bad and everything is disorganized.
Sales floor is always a mess so as the stockroom.
Company does not hold records regarding extremely lazy people that hides, do nothing while getting paid YET rehires them repeatedly.

Note to Hardworking People
You will be forced to do 3-4 Job descriptions while only getting paid either seasonal or part time with no chances of a Full time Position nor Health Benefits.
Management caters their fellow entitled lazy people.
They will scream at you for not doing a job not in your job description, while ignoring those lazy employee who is doing nothing, threatening to lower your hours or pay if you didn't do it.
You will also get yelled at for doing a job by the same exact manager that told you to do it
...which don't make sense

Sad Part, if ever you stand up for you own rights
They will spread rumors of how bad you are as a person. You are outnumbered so the only choice you have is to resign.

Lawsuit against abusive management isn't going to happen. Because of majority rule. Lazy employee stand up to their fellow Lazy managers. You are a lone hardworking person that can not prove how much you had done to contribute for the company.

You're just a minimum wage hardworking person that is in a world completely opposite to you
...so
  more... just resign  less
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Mismanagement
A fashion lover's paradise !
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJune 20, 2014
A typical day at Macy's is unlike any other day in a non retail setting. Instead of being surrounded by the walls of a cubical, I was engulfed in a sea of the seasons trendiest pieces by renown brands and designers! The best part about working with Macy's is the knowledge I acquired about the differences and similarities between various brands and designers and learning how to use those details to help customers choose their ideal piece. Assisting customers in finding the perfect birthday outfit, or helping them decide which piece goes better with what is by far the most enjoyable part of the job for me. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that my client is not only happy but CONFIDENT in whatever s/he chose to wear. Unfortunately, working at Macy's or in retail in general is not all fun and shopping sprees. The lease enjoyable role of being a sales associate at Macy's is the maintaining of the fitting rooms. Often times the rooms are flooded with merchandise that you and your other sales associates are responsible for returning to the sales floor. Although the fitting rooms can be a job within itself, it is vital to keep them somewhat decent so that it is easier to prevent theft and damages to the items inside. Overall Macy's was highly enjoyable for me because I LOVE fashion and meeting new people.
Pros
the employee discount is pretty decent and macy's money comes in handy.
Cons
the incentive of opening accounts could be a pay bonus instead of a coupon to the store.
An okay place to work, but I would like a job that is more challenging
Customer Service / Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 9, 2013
Working at Macys can be a growing experience. I have learned how to communicate with different people from different cultures. It is a great place to learn about certain trends, and what is in season at the time; you can also gain valuable customer service skills. A typical day at Macy’s is meeting and greeting customers while assisting them in their needs. As well as keeping a clean work environment and marinating the fitting rooms and fitting room log. Our management and co- workers are customer focused and at certain times are helpful in what you may need. However, during busy work days, the managers are a little harder to reach then usual. For example, when there is a problem that needs to be run by a manger, they are sometimes out of reach and you must use your best judgment. The hardest part about working at Macy’s is sometimes working with some of the employees. Some of the workers are very competitive and at times care more about their goals then the customers’ needs. For example, pressuring customers to sign up for Macy’s cards, even when the customer has said no. The most enjoyable part about working at Macy’s is the flexibility that it provides such as: being able to advertise your shifts, pick up open shifts, and being able to work around school (if you are a student).
Pros
flexbility ( especially for students)
Cons
: rude coworkers, highly competitive coworkers, favoritism by mangers, mangers do not resolve certain issues that has been brought to their attention.
everybody is very friendly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 13, 2013
there is no typical day at macys its either busy slow frustrating or jus so random there is easy days at times but working in retail you jus never know,ive learned lots of product knowladge why we sell and dont sell the things we do why we have these procedures and rules we have, management, they kinda go through managers alot since ive been there about 1 or 2 every year or so, but all are willing to help within their abilities if so and are friendly some kinda play favorites as well, some will jump on you about doing your work than others but all around great people, our co workers are open and friendly oriented but we all complain about the same thing which is lack of hours and the sporadicness of our hours as well, there really isnt anything to hard about being a sales associate but lots of product knowladge what we sell and what other stores sell or may not have how to use the pos system very well (pos) stands for (point of sale) and keeping up with recovery on busy days can be frustrating at times if by yourself or the other coworker isnt willing to pull their weight, and the most enjoyable part is seeing the other associates and working with the co workers and once in a while we get good customers who are fun to be around and all the nice and new products we get in
Pros
employee discounts back of house discounts flexiability if needed
Cons
carzy hours no hours over staffing no benifits if your not full time
great place to gain work skills
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  marley station mall glen burnie, mdJanuary 23, 2013
i typical day at work consist of working with customers, cleaning your department and making sure everything is safe for the everyday customer (such as racks are full so they don't hurt themselves walking by, and nothing is on the floor for them to slip on)

i learned how to approach customers and help them find exactly what they need and offer them more options for their choices. I've also learned how to get customers to open a Macy's credit card.

the managers are just like any other; if your doing what you need to be doing then they leave you to your work and sometimes even come over and joke around with you but once a customer appears they are back to all seriousness. if your not doing what your supposed to then you get talked to about it and if worse comes to worse, fired.

most co-workers do what they are suppose to. and when there's no customers around they make time go by by talking about life's issues or whatever else is going on around them.

the hardest part of my job is trying to get customers open a credit. this is because a lot of people don't want credit cards anymore, bad credit, or simply its just an over all hassle to have. another hard thing about the job is the occasional rude customer, but we have ways to get them to calm down and return to Macy's anyway.

the most enjoyable part is having really nice customers. it makes you feel good when you have a customer that appreciates your time and everything you do for them.
Pros
good work place
Cons
low pay
Its a job not a career
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Mid-Atlantic RegionApril 5, 2012
Someone with great ambition will find it difficult to work here. Although I am one of the few who has moved up through the ranks, the corporate advancement opportunities from store level seem almost non-existent. The tasks can be tedious and the workload impossible without having adequate staffing, but co-workers become family. Ultimately, you might have to choose between pursuing your ambitions elsewhere or staying in your "comfort zone".

The best part of the job is coaching: getting to know your associates and helping them grow. If you accept a job here in management, please remember to show appreciation and recognize your Associates. They don't receive enough appreciation yet continue to do the million and one tasks we give them every day. And most importantly, when upper management turns up the heat, its the Sales Manager's responsibility to keep the negativity away from their Associates. They follow your example, happy Managers make happier Associates and customers. Be direct and redirect when necessary but actually make an effort to help them grow and succeed.
Pros
family environment, flexible schedule, excellent sales training and development classes, dedicated and educated dm's, great benefits, community service/events and macy's parade
Cons
must work most holidays & weekends, no work life balance, physically taxing, staffing, mediocre pay, no challenge, no appreciation or recognition
Good but bad.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 8, 2015
I originally started in Macys in the juniors department and at about 4 months I moved to the Estee Lauder counter in cosmetics. My managers told me that I am on a growth plan and they would coach me. Nearly 3-4 months later I was informed that they were eliminating positions in the department and I could be in jeopardy. The management pulled each one of the employees in the department up to his office and soon the entire area was scared and the manager did nothing to deflate the situation. Later I received a PHONE CALL saying I've been eliminated. A girl who was working there for 16 years was also told her position was eliminated over THE PHONE. His reasoning: people are buying online so we don't need any coverage. They did not give me any other opportunities in the store. So I was basically left hanging. The managers don't help very much. They ignore drama in the department (because it's commissioned) therefore there was a lot of unhappy people. Not to mention that the specific Macys I was let go from is currently hiring and posted on this site about two days ago for a position in cosmetics. Needless to say Macys (opinion) is a failing company with many closing all over the country. Eliminating positions is the start of the soon to be rapid decline.
Pros
easy scheduling, a lot of room for growth.
Cons
managers dont listen/care, can be manipulative. must use the store prepaid card to get discount. etc.
Don't expect advancement or recognition
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 8, 2014
Macy's is a great to work because the scheduling is very flexible. And they hire anybody. I really liked most of my co-workers, though. The best part of the job were the customers who were truly appreciative of the service you gave them. That's the only good thing i have to say about that place. I didn't learn/know what I didn't already know or what it couldn't take a chimpanzee to learn. Your training is just on how to use the register, and its only the basics. So if you make a mistake (small or big) its your fault even though they didn't teach you what you made a mistake on. You get worked like a slave. You're expected to do your job, plus everybody else's, with no thank you's, no recognition, no pat on the back, nothing. They fire people for any little thing. Management leaves a lot to be desired of a person of authority. They play favorites with associates, they look the other way when those associates do something wrong, and if you're not one of the favorites, you're pretty much on the s**t lists of those managers. The particular store I worked at, you CANNOT join a union, because if you do you'll be fired. So they can pretty much make you do anything in the store, work long hours, not let you take breaks, anything. (Which actually happens there on a daily basis.) I don't want to get long-winded, so i'll just leave it at that.
Pros
very little, hardly anything
Cons
everything about the company
Fairly decent place to work
Sales Associate Specialist Fashion Watches (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OhioMay 12, 2013
I would say I enjoy working at Macys, However the pay doesnt come with many advances/raises. It takes greater efforts to get past the goals that are high. The environment can be hostile with associates against associates with goals, sales and loyalties. Management is good however pushed much harder for results which in turn gets taken out on associates at times. Security is also a more difficult thing to control. Associates are almost like the stores LP with little assistance at times trying to stop those who take advantage of the systems.
Macys values each customer to whom comes into the store. Magic classes need to be enforced with management and associates in larger locations. Typically we are managed to talk to each customer at the location I am at. We are required to assist everyone and be attentive no matter what. We are required to multi task ( recover the sections, talk to each customer, set specials, check prices, projects that are handed down from corporate, oversee all functions of the different areas, check fitting rooms on the hour sometimes more, know all products and placings of the products.) we are given a great deal more responsibility than most Macys locations.
I would say this is a great store to work in for different generations. Older generations do tend to have more issues with the technology but with training and management can understand it in time. Younger generations are great with the registers, telexons, and newer policies set by management.
Horrible Place to Work For
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYDecember 31, 2012
I took the job because I needed a job at the time. I walked in with at least 7 years of retail experience and figured I deserved more than minimum wage, but they wouldn't give me more than minimum wage because my retail experience wasn't similar enough to their store... RETAIL IS RETAIL... Then I find out later on that a girl who only worked for Kaufman's before they became macy's was given $10.00 an hour.... no other retail experience.

I was hired as flexible associate so I made my own schedule, but during the holiday's you are not given the chance to breathe or rest, I took one day off before christmas because it was not one of their KEY days, looked at my schedule a couple days before the 23rd, they scheduled me for a 10 hour shift making it to where I was working EIGHT days in a row...

Management plays favorites and it shows.. I don't know how many times I have been told to go talk to customers when I have a pile of clothes they want put away on top of that; then other associates get to stand behind a register and do absolutely nothing and don't get yelled at.

The only reason I am still there is because I need a job/money, but as soon as I can find a new job I will not look back to this place for employment.
Pros
macy money, co-workers, weekly pay.
Cons
horrible pay, no advancement, favoritism, to much demand, no life balance/prepair to have no life.
enjoyable most of time
support (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 2, 2012
liked being able to do job w out many hassels. little poor on commuication from management to employees. fellow employees were enthusiastic and fun to work w. we all got along great. we all helped out each other best as we could. management needs imporvement on there people skills, talking to fellow employees(not in management positions)about co workers, lieing from one person to another, then dening it, when confrunted. i personal heard a manger numerous times, so did other employees, talking about or down grating fellow employees, to non-management staff, unprofessional. when confronted they denied they every did such thing, they didnot know myself & other eployee(s) over heard them, or they would corner them in stockrooms or other places were no people were(so they thought) and be very unprofessional with that person. the most diffucult part of job was lck of communication from upper management to us, duties would chang, & we wouldnt get info until days later, sometimes never even got info until manager was in trouble for jobs not being done, then wuld make it like we(employee) were not doing our jobs. also many co-workers had a tendancy to b very nosy, and talking about people to others. gossiping was extremely bad. not just from employees but management did it all the time too.was very unprofessional. most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships of co-workers, we(most) all got along with each other.
Pros
would have djs for special sale events
Cons
caddy management, not enough help, lack of communication, equipment failer/not enought for everyone who needed it
Macy's the commisioned fighting enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2013
Of course when you get hired you know that Macy's is a commissioned based enviroment. Funny thing is that the only employees that get commission are women's shoes associates and fragrance associates. It may sound nice to get paid every week, but unless your management the pay is horrible. You start off at 8 to 9 dollars an hour and you never get a raise unless your promoted to a specialist or manager based on your "scorecard." Now the scorecard can either be your best friend or your worse enemy. Your score is broken down into sales volume, items per transactions, macy's applications, and average sales per hour. The are broken down into metrics where basically you have to make over your sales goal everyday and get at least 2 to 4 customers out of the week to apply for macys cards. Most of the time the sales goals for one individual can be extremely high (4400 for a 3 hour shift). So keeping your score is impossible most of the time. Management is weak because they never answer the phone, never manage the floor, never visible on the floor, and are always begging for you to have a customer to open up an account. They are always also pushing presales even though those don't help your score. Attendance credits also come into to play. If you run out of attendance points you are fired no questions asked. So if you would love a job that pays horrible and you fight for customers everyday be my guest!
Pros
macy's money discounts plus associate 20% discount
Cons
associates fighting over customers, horrible low pay rate, weak management
Diverse and customer oriented
Shoe Expeditor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 2, 2014
A typical day includes: reorganize and size the clearance shoe racks, process new merchandise, fulfill shoe orders for Sales Associates thru the Enterprise Locator System, return all shoes back to its assigned location, clean the stockroom , scan the bins to maintain accurate inventory, fulfill phone sales orders, scan the sales floor to allocate missing display shoes, search stockroom for shoes for missing shoes, answer customers and Sales Associates inquiries, perform other duties per manager request. I have learned how interact with people of all types of cultures and diverse backgrounds. Management in my department assigns unrealistic goals, show lack of compassion and never acknowledge hard work only criticize and talk down to their staff. My co-workers are amazing we work well together. Teamwork is very important in our field and we all excel at it. The hardest part of my job is administration enforcing new rules or assignments daily without the enough staff of execute their request. They would request that I complete an assignment by myself that normally requires multiple people while still fulfilling shoe request from Sales Associates then reprimand me for not completing it; the constant complaining from associates, managers, and customers can be overwhelming.What I enjoy most is meeting new people and learning about different cultures.
Pros
flexable work hours
Cons
micro-managing, lack of compassion, and extreme criticism
Waste of Time
Administrative Support Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 18, 2014
I worked with many nice and peppy people, but the AST manager here is moody, unprofessional, overly critical, passive-aggressive and two faced. The job was the worst job I ever had.

The job is disorganized. Every worker viewed it as a “job”. That meant being micromanaged, putting up with BS, laughing off condescending and downright rude remarks about your intelligence when you did something wrong and brown nosing. All of this was done in front of colleagues.

Macy’s is the number one retailer and that means having a strong sales drive, but to be aggressive and nasty to get what you want at work is uncalled for. Everyone made mistakes because we were constantly rushed, interrupted and we never got a chance to finish everything we started. Only one associate was allowed to be full time. Plus, the technology was very old. Why? Because it saves Macy's money!

I felt like I was going to lose my mind if I did not leave soon. I did not last very long, just a few months and my colleagues laughed and said “I don’t blame you” and “I don’t know why I am still here.” A few even sensed why I was leaving because they know how nasty the AST manager is.
Pros
discount, free food, mostly friendly colleagues
Cons
aggressive work culture in the office, lack of integrity, miscommunication
"You'll Catch On..."
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 19, 2013
After 14 years of being self employed, I was hired as a seasonal employee for Macy's. I went thru hours of virtual training on their computers and then a 1 day class of training. When I first arrived for my shift, I wasn't sure of who to report too because I was just given a first name and there were several people with that name. Second, when I did find the right person, I asked them what I should be doing, and they said, restock the floor which merch from the back. So I did, and then was corrected constantly for what I had done. So, then I asked management and they told me "you'll catch on..." LOL. No idea what I was suppose to be doing almost on a daily basis. Mgmt and senior employees would argue almost weekly, amongst other employees. Very uncomfortable. I also was not allowed key entrance to the building for my entire 4 months there, I even waited for almost an hour once to be let in to the bldg. in freezing weather. I asked how can I get a key and was told by mgmt. that I need to report to work 30 minutes earlier to come in with others, without getting paid?... The only part of this I enjoyed was the discount and it was utter chaos every day, and wasn't worth it after all. Was highly disappointed after watching their virtual training and 1 day seminar, the live floor is 150% different. Chaotic.
Pros
shopping discount
Cons
disorganized and chaotic