*We are the Best Kept Secret in Dane County!
If you can answer YES to these questions MMSD may be the place for you:
- Are you interested in joining a stable organization that protects public health
and the environment?
- Are you looking for a meaningful career and not just a job?
- Do you want to be proud of the work you do?
- Are you a superstar looking for the next challenge?
- Can you guide us into the next era?*
Who We Are
The mission of the Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District is to protect human health and the environment. We are looking for individuals who are interested in making a difference in their community by helping us meet this important goal.
The District is proud to have nurtured a stable, highly professional long-term workforce through excellent working conditions and benefits, meaningful work and internal advancement.
Network Technician Job Opening
We are currently hiring a full time Network Technician. The Network Technician will be responsible for installing, configuring, and supporting the District’s local area networks (LAN), user accounts, PCs, databases, and Internet system. This position requires experience with network and desktop support with respect to the job duties, knowledge, skills and abilities listed below. Work will be done with some guidance from senior staff, but this individual will also need to be self-directed in many areas.
- Specify, configure, maintain, and monitor local area network hardware and software, such as personal computers, system software, software applications, printers, servers, routers, switches, cabling, email, firewalls, and Internet service.
- Perform software upgrades and install patches and hot-fixes as needed.
- Respond to the needs and questions of network users concerning their access to resources on the network. Resolve these issues as needed.
- Establish and maintain network user accounts, user environments, directories, security, and connectivity.
- Provide proactive system support, including daily review of server logs, assisting with nightly backup, and performing regular test restores of network data.
- Provide support for all Microsoft Office desktop applications.
- Manage computer inventory and software licenses using the Computer Equipment database.
- Assist with the administration of our Exchange 2007 email server.
- Assist with the administration of our Asset Management System including configuration of necessary hardware and trouble-shooting application and database issues.
- Assist with the administration of Symantec Endpoint Protection.
- Assist with the development of documentation related to network operating systems, server hardware, PC support, problem resolution, and other systems as needed.
- Assist with administration and testing at our Business Continuity site.
- Provide technical support and advice as necessary for all District departments and outside agencies, including researching, evaluating, and recommending new technologies.
- Communicate with vendors and external support resources as appropriate.
- Attend regular training and conferences as necessary to maintain up-to-date skills and to develop new ideas related to the network and District technology needs.
- Be available after hours and weekends to perform work that cannot be done during normal business hours.
Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Associate/Technical degree from an accredited college or technical school with a major emphasis in an information systems related area, and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in a position that includes support of a Microsoft server environment. Experience may be substituted for education as long as it provides the equivalent background.
- Experience installing, supporting, upgrading, patching, maintaining, and troubleshooting operating system software on both servers and PCs.
- Hands on involvement with all aspects of desktop support, including: setup, configuration, deployment, documentation, troubleshooting, training, and maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve a diverse scope of helpdesk issues related to both the desktop and network environments.
- Knowledge of Local Area Networks (LANs).
- Knowledge of iSCSI Storage Area Networks (SANs) and shared storage appliances.
- Knowledge of wireless network setups, TCPIP and other networking protocols and an ability to troubleshoot Internet and VPN connectivity issues.
- Knowledge of network hardware, including desktop computers, printers, servers, routers, switches, cabling, and firewalls.
- Knowledge of Active Directory and experience using it to set policy and enhance security.
- Knowledge and experience with Exchange 2007 and Windows Server 2003/2008.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft desktop products, including Windows XP, Windows 7, and Office 2007/2010.
- Experience installing, configuring, and managing VMware vSphere or similar virtualization technology.
- Knowledge of internet systems and their related security needs.
- Experience setting up new network users, roles, and logon scripts.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and experience working effectively within a highly collaborative environment with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Successful experience working independently.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
Other Desirable but not Required Qualifications and Skills
- Previous help desk or technical support center experience.
- Knowledge of cabling, routers, telephony, communications equipment, Ethernet cabling and network protocols (TCP/IP), patch panels, fiber optic cabling and testing, troubleshooting or security.
- Skill in installing, configuring, and maintaining firewalls.
- Experience with desktop management software, including deployment and scripting.
- Experience with a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Knowledge or experience with Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle databases.
- Experience with network monitoring tools like PRTG or other SNMP monitoring software.
- Fluency with common network administration and intrusion detection tools such as Snort, MRTG, Nagios, Ethereal/Wireshark, Nmap, Nessus, etc.
- Knowledge of Symantec System Recovery.
- Knowledge of Unitrends backup.
- Certifications: Comp TIA, Cisco, or Microsoft.
This is an excellent opportunity for a team player with a positive attitude, enthusiasm, and the motivation to do quality work. The pay range is $46,900 to $62,000 with excellent benefits including health, dental, and life insurance; vacation; sick leave; and a retirement program. A summary of our benefits can be found on our website at: www.madsewer.org.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume no later than February 17th. Application instructions and a full job description can be found on our website: www.madsewer.org.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. The District is an equal opportunity employer.
Indeed - 20 months ago
MMSD is the primary caretaker for this region’s water supply. We
handle wastewater and transform it into three resources that...