Wastewater/Relief Operator Job Posting
The mission of the Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District is to protect human health and the environment. We are looking for individuals who are interested in making a difference in their community by helping us meet this important goal. Currently we have an opening for a Relief Operator. This is a full time position.
Relief Operators work scheduled shifts and also fill in for wastewater treatment plant operators in their absence. Operators are responsible for process control, including troubleshooting, of the wastewater treatment plant. Twelve-hour rotating shifts are involved when filling in for treatment plant operators. Relief Operators are also scheduled half of their time for eight hour shifts on days and evenings. When not filling in for 12 hour shifts or working the scheduled 8 hour shifts, the Relief Operator will work on the Building and Grounds Crew. This work involves a variety of light maintenance duties.
State wastewater treatment plant operator certification is preferred as is completion of a two or four-year program in wastewater treatment or a related science degree. Proven ability to work independently is beneficial. Applicants who are scheduled for an interview will be given a written test.
All individuals in the Relief Operator position must be able to:
1. Climb stairs and ladders.
2. Work with his/her hands extended overhead.
3. Operate small power tools such as; but not limited to; drills, saws, and grinders.
4. Use hand tools such as; but not limited to; hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, shovels, rakes, brushes, and snow shovels.
5. Safely operate a motor vehicles and a forklift. Valid driver’s license is required.
6. Stand for extended periods of time.
7. Lift up to 50 pounds unassisted.
8. Communicate with another person using a two-way radio and cell phone.
9. Carry out oral and written directions.
10. Use safety equipment including a self-contained breathing apparatus.
11. Distinguish between red, green, and yellow status indicators.
12. Operate a computer system
The starting pay rate is $23.54 per hour with an extensive benefits program.
All applicants must complete the attached application form. A resume may also be submitted but it will not serve as a substitute for the application form. All applicants must include a cover letter that answers the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in this position?
2. How has your past experience prepared you for this position?
3. What things are important to you in a job?
Application materials may be submitted via email by February 24, 2013. See our website for details: www.madsewer.org
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.