Magellan Health Services Employee Reviews

Fast paced, a lot of re-orgs
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 23, 2018
You will learn a lot here because that is literally the only way you will learn how to do your job. Training is non-existent. You either sink or swim. In most departments you get your annual raise every year, some are performance based, but no self-reviews are done. Not fairly compensated when you move up internally. Or if they do compensate you, you will not get a raise the next time around. Quarterly bonuses, or once a year depending on your job title. High deductibles, but manage their on pharmacy benefits, so pharmacy prices are lower than most. Be prepared to juggle a lot of different things at once.
Pros
Generous PTO
Cons
Stressful
Worked hard with little financial or emotional compensation. Very cut throat, non supportve atmosphere to
Military Family Life Counselor (Former Employee) –  VariedFebruary 23, 2018
As a full time employee we wrre paid a low salary with minimal bwnefits which they kept cutting to the point you were not alloyed to take any PTO for 6 mo & then wait 45 days after requesting time off. We were being micromanaged as well. Very hostile environment and very stressful
Pros
Cons
Low oay, stress, no time off
Management is Very Poor
Senior Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOFebruary 15, 2018
Training is poor. Management does not know how to mange time or people. Great job if you like working in a cube and never see another human being. Disorganization is the cultural norm. No pre-planning whatsoever. If you like the "Fire-Ready-Aim" mentality, this place is for you.
Pros
Cons
Management, coworkers, work environmwnt
Great location, parking and great people.
CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAFebruary 15, 2018
Great company to work for. I would definitely say it's a good place to be. The hardest part of the job I would have to say maybe finding resources. You need to know people.
Tech Writer
SENIOR TRAINER/TECHNICAL WRITER (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOFebruary 13, 2018
Do your job you will be fine.
Too Many layoffs
Formal training
Casual days throughout the year
Nothing hard about the job
Being challenged
Hours are flexible
Pros
Casual Days
Cons
Often layoff
February 14, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate it.

very robotic place to work
Customer authorization for data entry (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZFebruary 12, 2018
Did not like very cold and unfriendly. you never got to meet any of you team even after working with them for over a year. no one say good morning you are on the phone all the time it was very stressful and the pay was terrible
February 14, 2018

I am sorry to hear about your experience, I'll be sure your voice is heard. Thanks for taking the time and best of luck!

Magellan Health
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 7, 2018
New CIO has redefined the web development of the using a form of Agile that is not conducive for the company. He has brought on his lackies from his past. Over all he pushing for outsourcing.
Pros
great time off
Cons
bad management
good place to work
Military Family Life Consultant (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 5, 2018
Work is rewarding when working with our military community. The work can be challenging when faced with unrealistic deadlines and demands. Overall a very rewarding job.
Pros
good work enviornment
Cons
low pay
February 14, 2018

Thank you for working as a MFLC consultant with us, we appreciate your work!

Calm and inviting
Care Worker-Behavioral Health (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 5, 2018
Work flow is constant but not stressful. Team work is encouraged and plentiful. Management is caring and very helpful. Self start attitude is encouraged and time management is very important. Turn around time for challenging cases are sometimes difficult to reach in time desired. Reaching out to co-worker for help with such cases is always met with willingness.
Pros
Relaxed environment not stressful
Cons
Work load is sometimes a lot not enough staff
February 14, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review.

We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to deliver compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes
trust, challenge and innovation. It’s because of this high level of collaboration that we were recognized by FORTUNE as one of the World’s Most Admired Healthcare Companies in 2017.

Great Company to work for
Pharmaceutical Contract Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 3, 2018
Great people great atomsphere great benefits time off was never an issue always allowed employees to speak their mind. Great trainign program alot of hands on training.
February 14, 2018

Thanks for leaving a review, we're glad to hear you enjoyed working at Magellan Health!

House of Cards
Director (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 29, 2018
Workplace culture is "pass the buck" mentality, lack of resources and expected to recreate the wheel at each turn. Leadership takes all the glory and acts as if the team does nothing.

Management has no clue how to lead and needs training badly.

Unless you are homeless or in desperate need of employment...don't walk, but RUN away from this organizations. It's a house of cards!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
healthcare, attitudes, and the fact the company will shortly turn belly up
Lot's of turnover and many are looking for a new job
IT Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 28, 2018
Micromanaged, very poor planning creates constant crisis mode, few processes, very political, accountabilty applies only to foot soldiers, CYA mentality, very poor health care for a health care company.
is what it is at magellan
Customer Care Associate II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 25, 2018
I mean Magellan is a great company to work for but management that's a different story they have favorites you can only move up only if someone quits the company and that position is available its not like you get promoted for the good work you do so they kinda use you to fill that spot up really fast , they always add new studies and expect you to learn it in two hrs which is crazy , the pto was great I really liked working there when I first started there ,then the third year there they always changed something or made you verify something extra that wasn't even apart of hippa , the nurses and doctors you spoke with were ethier nice or mean or tried to rush you off the phone or kept cutting you off , you take about 80 to 100 calls a day another dislike was no overtime or if it was ot they didn't tell you , you'll have to find out from someone else smh but whatever it was nice getting the authorization experience for 3 years and the work employees were nice
Pros
pto, great work employees
Cons
no overtime, always changing something, bad mangement
It's cool
Customer Care Associate II (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 24, 2018
Hardest part of the job is telling the Patient that the MD didn't send in the right info and that's why the request wasn't approved. The other part is explaining to the MD office that there are certain guidelines that need to be met or that it is past time-frame for additional review and that they need to start over.
Great contract position
Military and Family Life Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJanuary 21, 2018
easy work, great hours, federal holidays, great experience, great pay, no weekends, evenings or overtime, two hours daily to do training or whatever.
Pros
no weekends, evenings or overtime
Cons
isolating, a little boring
Company tries to make-up for the lack of work/life balance by providing other benefits.
None (Current Employee) –  USAJanuary 20, 2018
Culture is negative with a very low moral. Management is working to improve the culture but is moving very slowly. HR is too soft, allowing poor behavior to continue for too long.
Too stressfull and fast paced.
Call Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 16, 2018
For a call center environment a 1 hour lunch is necessary to recharge adequately. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping Medicaid clients. I learned about a call center environment. I learned about Medicaid rules for different states. The hardest part of the job was the lack of proper training with consistent answers to the same question. Management not all on the same page.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Poor Manager who is racist and noncommunicative
Quality Clinical Reviewer/Medicaid & Medicare (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 13, 2018
Applied and interviewed by three separate individuals for a specific job role. However, upon day of orientation, discovered that I was placed in a different department. Manager is very racial and HR did nothing to assist me. Poor job specific orientation. Many confused employees, as disorganization was abound.
Pros
Nice area of town
Cons
No time for lunch breaks, poor management, poor morale
instablity of position
Claims Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2018
I liked working at Magellan and thought I would stay there til I retired, but then they started firing one of us after another and then also the department manager so I'm not certain why they decimated the department and do not know what is going on there now.
Pros
steady work, minimal stress, minimal phones
Cons
never sure whether you had a job or not.
A great place to work and grow.
Claim/Network Manager (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 5, 2018
Opportunity to advance was available at Magellan. Benefits were great and overall a good places to work. My job required you to be flexible with the numerous activities that went on any given day. I learned how to manage time efficiently, how to be a productive manager, how to budget, learned purchasing skills and never missed a day of work in the 23 plus years I worked there.
Pros
Great PTO package
Cons
could be stressful at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magellan Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

Personal Development
2.6

Career Opportunities

Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight