Magellan Health Services Employee Reviews

Fun and productive
Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee), Maryland HeightsMay 17, 2015
I came in and logged onto my computer. I had to maintain good quantity of good quality inbound/outbound calls. I had an hour lunch break.
management could be more professional and not personal
Member Service Represenetive (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 5, 2015
managers have an attitude that reflects their personal feelings toward others,and demonstrate very little respect for those not in a leadership position.
newly launched company, still in need of progress
Health Guide (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 30, 2015
magellan complete care is a new company of its kind designed to give benefits to those specifically with SMI. I work as a care coordination health guide, field based. I initiate contact with new enrolled members, gather health information and complete assessments to determine the level of care they need, and assist with case management services. I recently transitioned into a new region and relocated, – more... and the management and staff were very friendly and had great communication skills. The hardest part of this job is getting the program established. There were/are always changes every week to make the company more efficient, and most recently the company decided to change their operating structure and have eliminated several positions, mine included. The most enjoyable part of this job is working with the members/clients. I enjoy working with people and building a rapport with those I work with and those I help, it makes a having a positive attitude at work easy. – less
This corporate culture is very unpredictable
Corporate Communications Manager (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 30, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: traffic, culture, unpredictable
This is a startup. The executive team is rarely in the office and leadership changes frequently.
There are frequent changes in process and procedure because this is a first for everyone involved and there is an unknown if they will make it through the contract period.
Case Management
Case Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2015
Pros: I have a change to learn more about different illness, behavior and medication
Cons: The sadness, and it could be overwhelmimg
I love what I do when it comes to working with the elderly.
I love being able to help the less fortunate, the ones that are unable to help themselves.

This kind of work develops patience, skills and strategies' and with compassion.

I also learned that having different resources to be able to provide and assist ones in need is helpful.
Member Services Representative (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMarch 11, 2015
Great job concepts. Good salary. Mangement was willing to help. laid back environment. Moreal could have been a little better. Training could have been a little more organized.
Like to promote from within
Lead Follow Up Specialist (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMarch 11, 2015
My job has given me flexible hours, with a management that cares about personal development. I have learned a lot about the Corporate world and how to conduct myself in a professional manner. My co-workers helped me develop my leadership skills.
Managers were the best!
Support Specialist II (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2015
Pros: managers were understanding and supportive.
Cons: they left chicago
My day consisted of maintaining the medical records department to prepare for Joint commission. Creating files and folders to assist case managers on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job was leaving because they left Chicago.
productive and fun place to work for
Community Outreach Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FLMarch 5, 2015
Pros: great company to workfor.
Cons: changes to job description, without a choice
My overall experience here has been great. Unfortunately, my job description is changing and without much of a choice given to us individuals to take the 2-40 Health Insurance Course and exam for licensure. Many of us were not interested, but were pushed into taking the course anyways.
Fast paced, productive environment
Claims Specialist (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 3, 2015
Training was provided to adjudicate medical claims. We received reports each day to complete. We each had our own cubicles and worked individually. It was a pleasant environment.
A horrible toxic environment, stay away.
Initial Clinical Reviewer R.N (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 3, 2015
Cons: see the list above
Worst work environment ever.
Managers are unqualified to lead.
Co workers are awesome.
Hardest part of job is dealing with toxic environment and inept managers.
They threaten, intimidate, embarrass, and play many passive aggressive games on a daily basis.
Managers force employees to perform required company training off the clock, even though it is specifically stated in employee handbook that is prohibited.
HR is a joke, not on sight. Most HR personal take days to respond to calls or emails.
Most enjoyable part of job is clocking out at end of day on Friday.
Information Analyst (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 2, 2015
There was never a dull moment for me. Co-workers were nice and there was a real sense of a team for the most part. I learned how to work with all types of people and personalities due to my interaction with different departments.
Job goes downhill very fast
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: unevenly distributed workload, rude management, favoritism, no advancement opportunities
The company, Magellan, overall is a great company and it is also great at compensating employees. It offers health benefits, paid time off. There are some State holidays that this company does not recognize and you will be mandated to report to work. On the downside, this particular location does not complement the company as a whole. The work environment is biased and based off of favoritism as opposed – more... to work ethic. Hard work and honesty come second to friendships and deceptive work behavior and it becomes apparent that one can get ahead by shamming and creating office relationships as opposed to honestly getting the job done. So if you are a hard worker who values integrity you will soon find this environment hard to deal with. It is a call center so it is expected that you will be consumed with calls your entire workday, which is perfectly fine, but when the work is unevenly distributed between the call center reps, you will find yourself completely drained by the end of your shift and definitely by the end of the week. The management is often times difficult to deal with. Asking a job related question (trust me, you will have many of these) is often met by attitude and sometimes rude behavior. You may not get a valid answer from them and you will leave feeling like an annoying child as opposed to a Pharmacy Technician who is PTCB certified. There seems to always be a "gray" area between most answers that they provide, leaving you confused and left to decipher it on your own. The Supervisor is biased and if you are not the individual to "brown nose" then you will find that all of your hard work is overlooked and you will always "need to improve" and you will always somehow be 1 point away from a top score during evaluation despite all of the hard work that you know you put it. – less
typical work day
Claims Specialist II (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MOFebruary 12, 2015
Magellan is a great place to work. My day would start by clocking into work. Then I would run inventory reports to see what I needed to start on first thing. Then I would get started and I would work and I would also help out wherever I was needed. I learned several accounts at Magellan.
This company has challenges and pressure
Intake Coordinator /Customer Service (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: they have good benifits
Cons: you are severely micro managed.
The job consisted of processing faxes from the doctors office such as prescriptions and Prior authorizations. To process these faxes in a timley fashion.
Challenging place to work
Training Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix AZJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: serp bonuses are given
Cons: sometimes it is difficult to move up in positions because of locations of the primary claims office
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding place to work, Magellan would be the place. They strive to do the best for their members and clients always. They have changed to become a stronger company to work for and care about their employees.

Although I am not there anymore, after 14 years, I will always be grateful for the things that I have learned through my own personal development at work and have grown to be a stronger management staff and training specialist from this experience.
Typical Managed Care
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 15, 2015
Cons: 700,000,000,000 million rules and quotas. This place doesn't even allow employes to go to the bathroom if calls are waiting. They say they care about their "members" mental health, yeah right. No matter if someone is on the ledge about to commit suicide or just can't remember the name of their Therapist on Main St, all calls must be completed in 8 minutes or less. Don't forget to mention the – more... callers name twice, even if you can't pronounce it. No job security, plus the company is quick to deny or mess up your unemployment-trust me you will end up on employment. Trainer is a complete narcissist who can do anything and keep his job.

Pros: Beautiful grounds and building. Fabulous outdoor lunch area if you feel like rushing out in 30 minutes flat.

Overall the $$ is okay but this is not a career, if you are desperate and don't mind being a monkey in a cage,than its almost acceptable for the short haul !! – less
Very good work place
Electronic Medical Record Specialist (Current Employee), Earth City, MOJanuary 13, 2015
Everyone around you are very willing to help in any way they can, makes it very easy to get things done. Leadership is very support full as well.
Quality Auditor and Customer Service (Former Employee), Parsippany, NJJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: work from home.
Very detailed and organized position that kept you on your toes at all times. The company also allowed work from home and dress down which also made for a more comfortable and relaxing environment to work in. There was always something new to learn that made the job more likable.
Its a job
Credentialing specialists (Current Employee), Columbia, MDDecember 28, 2014
Pros: i work from home
Cons: not much recognition
Although I am currently working from home, I have had good times when I worked in the office. They try to make things better for its employees but I believe other things can be done. All in all...the people are good people to work with.
Headquarters