Magellan Health Services

Magellan Health Services Employee Reviews

Fast paced, productive environment
Claims Specialist (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 3, 2015
Training was provided to adjudicate medical claims. We received reports each day to complete. We each had our own cubicles and worked individually. It was a pleasant environment.
A horrible toxic environment, stay away.
Initial Clinical Reviewer R.N (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 3, 2015
Cons: see the list above
Worst work environment ever.
Managers are unqualified to lead.
Co workers are awesome.
Hardest part of job is dealing with toxic environment and inept managers.
They threaten, intimidate, embarrass, and play many passive aggressive games on a daily basis.
Managers force employees to perform required company training off the clock, even though it is specifically stated in employee handbook that is prohibited.
HR is a joke, not on sight. Most HR personal take days to respond to calls or emails.
Most enjoyable part of job is clocking out at end of day on Friday.
Information Analyst (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 2, 2015
There was never a dull moment for me. Co-workers were nice and there was a real sense of a team for the most part. I learned how to work with all types of people and personalities due to my interaction with different departments.
Job goes downhill very fast
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: unevenly distributed workload, rude management, favoritism, no advancement opportunities
The company, Magellan, overall is a great company and it is also great at compensating employees. It offers health benefits, paid time off. There are some State holidays that this company does not recognize and you will be mandated to report to work. On the downside, this particular location does not complement the company as a whole. The work environment is biased and based off of favoritism as opposed to work ethic. Hard work and honesty come second to friendships and deceptive work behavior and it becomes apparent that one can get ahead by shamming and creating office relationships as opposed to honestly getting the job done. So if you are a hard worker who values integrity you will soon find this environment hard to deal with. It is a call center so it is expected that you will be consumed with calls your entire workday, which is perfectly fine, but when the work is unevenly distributed between the call center reps, you will find yourself completely drained by the end of your shift and definitely by the end of the week. The management is often times difficult to deal with. Asking a job related question (trust me, you will have many of these) is often met by attitude and sometimes rude behavior. You may not get a valid answer from them and you will leave feeling like an annoying child as opposed to a Pharmacy Technician who is PTCB certified. There seems to always be a "gray" area between most answers that they provide, leaving you confused and left to decipher it on your own. The Supervisor is biased and if you are not the individual to "brown nose" then you will find that all of your hard work is overlooked and you will always "need to improve" and you will always somehow be 1 point away from a top score during evaluation despite all of the hard work that you know you put it.
typical work day
Claims Specialist II (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MOFebruary 12, 2015
Magellan is a great place to work. My day would start by clocking into work. Then I would run inventory reports to see what I needed to start on first thing. Then I would get started and I would work and I would also help out wherever I was needed. I learned several accounts at Magellan.
This company has challenges and pressure
Intake Coordinator /Customer Service (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: they have good benifits
Cons: you are severely micro managed.
The job consisted of processing faxes from the doctors office such as prescriptions and Prior authorizations. To process these faxes in a timley fashion.
Challenging place to work
Training Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix AZJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: serp bonuses are given
Cons: sometimes it is difficult to move up in positions because of locations of the primary claims office
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding place to work, Magellan would be the place. They strive to do the best for their members and clients always. They have changed to become a stronger company to work for and care about their employees.

Although I am not there anymore, after 14 years, I will always be grateful for the things that I have learned through my own personal development at work and have grown to be a stronger management staff and training specialist from this experience.
Typical Managed Care
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 15, 2015
Cons: 700,000,000,000 million rules and quotas. This place doesn't even allow employes to go to the bathroom if calls are waiting. They say they care about their "members" mental health, yeah right. No matter if someone is on the ledge about to commit suicide or just can't remember the name of their Therapist on Main St, all calls must be completed in 8 minutes or less. Don't forget to mention the callers name twice, even if you can't pronounce it. No job security, plus the company is quick to deny or mess up your unemployment-trust me you will end up on employment. Trainer is a complete narcissist who can do anything and keep his job.

Pros: Beautiful grounds and building. Fabulous outdoor lunch area if you feel like rushing out in 30 minutes flat.

Overall the $$ is okay but this is not a career, if you are desperate and don't mind being a monkey in a cage,than its almost acceptable for the short haul !!
Very good work place
Electronic Medical Record Specialist (Current Employee), Earth City, MOJanuary 13, 2015
Everyone around you are very willing to help in any way they can, makes it very easy to get things done. Leadership is very support full as well.
Quality Auditor and Customer Service (Former Employee), Parsippany, NJJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: work from home.
Very detailed and organized position that kept you on your toes at all times. The company also allowed work from home and dress down which also made for a more comfortable and relaxing environment to work in. There was always something new to learn that made the job more likable.
Its a job
Credentialing specialists (Current Employee), Columbia, MDDecember 28, 2014
Pros: i work from home
Cons: not much recognition
Although I am currently working from home, I have had good times when I worked in the office. They try to make things better for its employees but I believe other things can be done. All in all...the people are good people to work with.
Great place to hone your skills
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Care Manager, Sr (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GA.December 26, 2014
Pros: close to home; work out facility on site. free coffee & tea.
Cons: sitting at a computer for entire shift
I talk to providers, hospital staff, psychiatrists and health plan members. I have learned so much at Magellan, including computer proficiencies, handling complex cases, following policy and procedures. Providing telephonic crisis counseling, and determining severity of risk and level of acuity. My co-workers in general are very dedicated to our work at Magellan, friendly, helpful and serve our customers with the upmost integrity, caring and results driven.
The hardest part of my job is sitting at a computer all day, but the most enjoyable part of my job, is talking with our members who are in need of a licensed professional who can assist them in understanding their health plan, educating them about levels of care from traditional outpatient services to inpatient services for behavioral and substance use disorders. Educating them about mental health and substance use disorders, providing resources for them to obtain help and support in their daily lives.
Great company to work for.
Data Management Specialist-II (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MODecember 22, 2014
Pros: great overall
Cons: recontruction and down-sizing caused alot of lay offs.
Data entry of rates for services of mental health providers.
Great stepping stone for anyone in the education field
Administrative Support/Customer Service (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 10, 2014
Pros: no work on the weekends
Cons: late hours
Greeting new students, answering phone calls, general administrative duties. Data entry, time management and general education administrative duties were some of the things that I learned while in this position. The co-workers were great and very helpful. Management was good and fair. There was really nothing too hard about this job.
No loyalty to employees here!
Sr Care Manager (Former Employee), PhoenixDecember 10, 2014
Pros: knowledgable and caring supervisor
Cons: all about the financial bottom line, unfair compensation among employees with same skills and experience.
I worked for Magellan Health Services for 7 years. I was laid off with about 250 other employees. The severance contract was written so that most employees who were laid off were not eligible. I should have been compensated more than $10,000 over a 3 month period. Don't trust Magellan to treat you fairly.
Interesting and exciting work.
MILITARY FAMILY LIFE COUNSELORS (Former Employee), USADecember 9, 2014
Pros: contractual work
Cons: contractual work
Awesome in that this positions provides supportive consults to service personnel.
Good money but not worth it
MFLC (Military Family Life Consultant) (Former Employee), Ft Campbell, KYDecember 8, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, working with military families, good money
Cons: coorporate like atmosphere, no loyality, too many people to report to
I have worked as a military contractor for over 4 years, traveling to different locations, mostly working at Ft Campbell. It is a great job for newly licensed counselors but the travel will "get to you" if you choose to be an independent contractor. Also, there are so many policies and procedures that keep you from doing your job (which is helping military families) Don't step outside the box! It's the kind of job where you are safer "doing nothing than something."
Provider Data Management
Provider Data Manager (Current Employee), Maryland Heights, MODecember 5, 2014
Versatile, busy, detailed and consistent. Great co-workers and management staff members.
Great balance
Contract Manager (Current Employee), Richmond, VADecember 1, 2014
great balance in workload
advancement opportunities are available
productive and fun to work
Oracle DBA (Former Employee), columbia, mdNovember 22, 2014
I had a very gods relationship with my management and coworkers.
Everyday I go to work I learn something new.

About Magellan Health Services

Magellan Health Services has charted its courseĀ to becomeĀ one of the largest managed behavioral health care companies in the nation. – Read more

Magellan Health Services Salaries