Magna Powertrain Employee Reviews

Very poor management
Former (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MISeptember 3, 2017
The culture at Magna Sterling Heights is very bad, caused primarily by a few in management. Most companies are going lean these days, but this is just ridiculously lean. Morale amongst the salaried employees is very low .
Pros
Many good people working there
Cons
Good people and friends don't outweigh the poor management style of some.
excellent pay scale
OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 4, 2017
I loved my job at magna/new venture gear. Unfortunatly I was hired on as a weekend warrior that would work 40 hours but with no benefits. Because of my work ethics my managers would have me coming in on atleast 2 other days besides the weekends. I liked my co workers, I loved the fast paced atmosphere at magna, and I loved the paychecks.
Pros
money
Cons
competition
terrible Management
General Machinist, Lead Operator, Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 28, 2017
Magna Powertrain had the worst management of any job I have ever worked. there were months at a time we worked 7 days a week 10 and 12 hour shifts through holidays such as thanksgiving you hardly ever get a day off of work and the supervisors were just terrible the General Manager of the plant would threaten to fire you if you called off work on holidays you cannot have a social life or personal life working at that plant.
Pros
paid lunch break
Cons
working 7 days a week mandatory
Fast paced world class production company
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIJuly 11, 2017
Fast paced work environment with plenty opportunity to grow within the company. Quality of product is very important and employees are expected to uphold that integrity.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Can be long hours
Overall not a fun place to work
Team Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYJuly 6, 2017
Company not family oriented, management not trustworthy. Company closed the Plant and relocated to MEXICO with very short notice. Extreme hot and humid conditions during the summer months.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Short breaks, no praise for jobs well done
Manufacturing job
Floater (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYJuly 1, 2017
I worked for Magna for about a year. I was laid off and then called back and then the last lay off was permanent. My first round at Magna I did piece work. Which was nice. I was left alone and just had to measure and gage the piece I made. The second call back i really didn't have a real job. I floated around the assembly line.
Pros
the pay, the healthcare
Cons
lay offs
Incredibled experience
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJune 15, 2017
over all Magna was an incredible job opportunity. I made a very good wage and had all the overtime i wanted. it was a very productive job that required a lot of thinking.
Pros
overtime
Cons
overtime
Ok job
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJune 1, 2017
It was an Ok place to work. Definitely a lot of favoritism, and you pretty much lived at work. 7 day work weeks were very common, and little was done to improve that. The pay and benefits were some of the best, however. That was the only thing that made it worth staying.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Working 7 days a week
Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 26, 2017
Typical day at work is a fast paced environment, constantly on your feet and using torque guns and manipulators. I learned from this company team work and quality.
Work is ok. Management doesn't care about the people like they say.
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 2, 2017
They want people to work seven days a week in most cases. Not understanding to personal problems. Typical factory. They know you're disposable. They lied to cancel my assignment.
Pros
Music at your station
Cons
Hours, management, not many temps get a chance to be hired. Some been there almost a year. On a 90 day contract.
Great place to work!!
Global Core Technology Application Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIMarch 29, 2017
Challenging environment
Great people

Very good reaction time for issue resolution
Always takes good care of customer relations
Pros
Great place to work, Great people, Great team
Cons
Not a very employee friendly place to work. Very unappreciative and a lot of favoritism.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MI 48312March 28, 2017
As of now, the way that Magna Sterling Heights, with no union and no job security it is a bad place to work.. The way that it is being ran is wrong. Just no appreciation for hard working employees.
Pros
offers 401k
Cons
no union
You Will live there and be treated like a doormat
Operator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 27, 2017
Worked there for a fair amount of time. New GM is a slave driver and only cares about profit, status and his ego. HR is a joke, if it doesn't benefit them they don't like it. Training is a joke. Expectations are unrealistic. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless you are desperate because they will suck the life out of you.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Mostly management but also everything besides insurance
Great place
Operator (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIMarch 25, 2017
Magna powertrain was known for its training system and helping people become better in manufacturing.Great benefits and learning curve for those who are just starting off.
Pros
Great learning experinces, competitive pay
Cons
management lack communication skills.
it was verynice environment to work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing MichiganMarch 23, 2017
they trained very wellI didn't have a very good experience some of the people were very rude and disrespectful I kind of had to keep to myselfbut I love working with the power tools
Pros
they helps people out
Cons
short breaks
New and exciting
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIMarch 21, 2017
Different machinery immediately allowed to train and master press operation along with die setting skills continual improvement allowed participation in changing work standards and instructions.
Pros
Company involvement with employees
Cons
Policy
Very fast paced and hard to fit in with other employees
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INFebruary 19, 2017
It was a very fast paced job. Hours were good with what I needed. The pay wasn"t good because it was through a temp agency. There was no job security cause the job was never secure.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor pay
company is too profit oriented , pay level for employees is too low.
c.n.c production operator (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 31, 2017
A average day at work was fast paced and usually a smooth operation. I learned to operate numerous c.n.n. machines using different gauges to keep parts in spec including c.m.m. at production process. Engineering and foreman's were always problem solving and quick to react to problems. Workplace culture was positive.The hardest part of the job was the cycle times of each process and working seven days a week for numerous months at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was coworkers that were quick to help with positive attitudes in most situations to help meet production goals... Company Christmas party.. company picnic..excellent insurance and 401k
Pros
excellent medical insurance
Cons
Hostile lead operators towards employees. Dental plan did not cover major work..Too expensive
Clean easy fast pace simple
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 19, 2017
It's was ok when I was working there I always kept up with the work pace and got everything done properly. Was always on time to my next station I worked about five diffrent stations I rotated every 2 hours and that was a great part about the job I didn't have to do the same thing over and over.
good job
Assembly line worker/parts inspector (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 27, 2016
: Worked in weekly rotational shifts with an excellent attendance record.
: Worked at a CNC machine station and provided accurate inputs to the machine and produced fine jobs with negligible rejection ratios.
: Manipulated time for the job per process and scheduled the incurring processes accordingly and thus achieved remarkable time efficiency,
Completed production targets within deadlines.
: Attended various quality control workshops as a part of the work and tried applying those principles for production jobs.
: Provided suggestions to the team supervisor to raise the output of the team as a whole.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magna Powertrain. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval