Magnolia Bakery Employee Reviews

Team work makes the dream work!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2016
My establishment is very hands on and my fellow co workers are always ready for what's to come. I've learned how to balance out the staff so that we can remain prepared throughout any circumstances. Most hardest part is being short staff but despite that the enjoyable part is working with everyone there and getting them through their shift.
Pros
staff, merchandise
Cons
scheduling, location
high volume scratch bakery
PASTRY SOUS CHEF (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 29, 2016
Regional director is amazing and very talented. It's a fun family friendly work atmosphere but very difficult to balance work and family. Work hours were too long and demanding for my family.
Magnolia
Floor Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2016
company needs better manage-mental experience, was no structure at all.
overall the customers was very polite, nice and respectful. co workers were very attentive and fast past going at all time
Pros
team work
Cons
no medical insurance, no pay increase
Great Work Environment
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
A day at Magnolia is different everyday. The people you meet are amazing on both sides of the counter. Fast paced days with hundreds of customers excited to try Magnolia's famous cupcakes and pudding
Fun bakery open to employing college students
Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2016
Assisting customers with money transactions and providing exact pastries or beverages. I think the hardest part of the job was balancing work with school.
Pros
Kind people
Cons
Limited schedules
Magnolia Bakery is a fun place to work
Cashier/Barista/Counter Person (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2016
Working at Magnolia Bakery I learned a lot of things. I learned how to make drinks, I know how to answer phones and how to deal with people. I also learned the skills of being a cashier and handling money. Management had its ups and downs. Most of my co workers were very nice to work with, others I would talk to only because I had to work with them. The hardest part of the job was finding something to do when we were very slow.
Familial workplace with great advancement opportunities
Floor Supervisor/ Training Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2015
I started at Magnolia as a counterstaff and quickly moved up the ranks to supervisor and soon after to store manager. I became training manager and head of training at our Rockefeller location and am currently an international training consultant for the franchising department.

I trained the majority of the new FOH employees and all of the trainers while managing a staff of up to 25 people per shift.

Duties included scheduling via Hotschedules, ordering products, doing payroll, counting tills and safe, doing audits including developing a training audit that is now used company wide.

The management team was typically excellent. Very understanding and effective. Most were wonderful mentors and had genuine desires for individual staff members to learn and grow.

This is a job that has given me a lot of experience and is very rewarding on a professional and personal level.
Pros
Familial environment, advancement opportunities, great management
Cons
No benefits for anyone below management level, HR department had difficulties finding good staff
Poor management
Porter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2015
A typical day at work (for the porter position) starts off by checking the stock in the shop and making sure the arriving bakers have everything they need and that the porter clocking out has left the kitchen in a stable condition. The rest of the day consists of cleaning any dishes the baker needs or will need shortly, making sure the back of the house is well stocked with milk, sugar, chocolate, etc. The trash must also be taken care of every 1-2 hours. Each shift has a specific task associated with it and this task must be completed before clocking out. The staff is mostly young, so I found it very easy to communicate with co-workers. Management was very poor. Periodical raises would not arrive on time for workers, schedules would change without notice at times because of the lack in communication. I felt needed, but not appreciated or noticed for my work. I felt I could still be fired at anytime. The hardest part was having to prove to your managers that you were working. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff. My co-workers kept a nice family environment in the store at all times.
Pros
Free desserts
Cons
Inconsistency
Stead work, Always up beat and great company.
Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  New YorkAugust 20, 2015
I enjoyed it but some management was off.Great experience of working in bakery setting and knowing the ins and outs! Get to learn a little about everything after a while and grow with the company little by little.
Pros
Free treats, good music, good co workers most times.
Cons
no break rooms, really small staff, must come in when called no matter what.
Great company
Cashier/Counter (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 13, 2015
Great company that acknowledges your work ethics, they pay attention to their employees and want to see them succeed and be better.
Friendly and welcoming atmosphere
Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2015
Training was enjoyable and informative.
Co-workers were helpful and sincere. Employees perspective considered. In the heart of the city. Fast paced.
Fun and productive place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand CentralJanuary 21, 2015
A typical day would be hectic due to the high demand of products. The opportunity to grow was available to those who wanted it. Advancement was not impossible if the position was available. Co-workers and management were great. The most fun part: Eating all the cupcakes!
Pros
free desserts and awesome culture
Cons
opportunity for growth and development was very limited.
Productive working enviornment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2015
This place being my first job it was a nice start to be begin, it showed me responsiblity and grew me into having great time managment skills, it was always fun relaxing and comfortable.
Bakery
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 1, 2014
A typical day at works consist of making and icing cupcakes, Serving baked goods and hot beverages. I was also a cashier and made deliveries.
fun place with great coworkers
Team member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2014
my confidence shot through the room i talk to people all day something i love to do
Some days are fun than others
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2014
Busy, busy, busy. You must have people skills to be a manager at this company otherwise it won't be fun for you and the staff.
bakery
cupcake decorater (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2014
loved working here but business was slow so i was cut. no complaints at all.
Great energy and ambitious people, equals a positive environment.,
Porter/ Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2014
I clean kitchen top to bottom overnight. Washing dishes, sweeping/mopping floor. Load stock off the truck into stockroom and refrigeration. Assist in baking prep and presentation of store. I've learned to train and lead overnight crew. my co-workers are always helpful and the management are hands-on leaders. The hardest part is working overnight every night but I still enjoy it because I don't really have to sleep to stay motivated. Theirs never a dull moment at Magnolia Bakery.
Pros
great team, free cupcakes, hip area.
Cons
low pay, no benefits
my work day
Personal assistant/ physical therapy aid (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 12, 2014
this job is fun there is lots of room for advancement however the only part I didn't care for is that management was sort of always late when it came to pay raises.
great for people interested in baking
Counter Assistant / Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2014
counter clerks day is prep all coffee stations. make sure all deserts are stocked up for customers. co-workers are mostly young. inspiring actor/or baker.There really is no hard part, business is always busy. never a dull moment.
Pros
trying new deserts
Cons
hours are not always flexible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magnolia Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.

Magnolia Bakery Reviews by Location