Main Street Hub Employee Reviews

Brutal, Depressing Grind
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2017
Chronic turnover, contempt for their workers and employees, they are clearly not in love with their product or their company. The product gets worse and worse and less competitive and executives seem to do little to fix it. Pretty rotten company, not a place to build a career but to get a paycheck in-between honest jobs.
Fun start-up with a quick honeymoon period
Associate Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 10, 2017
If I was fresh out of college, Main Street Hub may be the perfect job. Its got that startup feel. Beer, ping pong table, etc. But it is a grueling sales job where they expect you to dial endlessly, cold calling small business owners. Its a fun atmosphere but it becomes incredibly stressful.
Pros
Free lunches, coffee, beer, snacks
Cons
Slave driving sales
Cold Calling and self sourcing
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2017
Self sourcing is what anyone who is successful at this company must do. They do not tell you this up front. Complete cold call selling. Culture and people are awesome and the training is great but high turnover.
Pros
residual after 6 months
Cons
cold calling and small weekly base
March 28, 2017

Thanks for this review. I’m excited that you appreciate our team, culture, and excellent training program.

Success on the sales floor comes from a number of factors, not just self-sourcing, like you mentioned. Reps can be successful if they effectively utilize our proprietary lead distribution system, in fact, a high percentage of our new trainees have seen incredible success using this system, but reps truly thrive here if they adhere to our pitch and process, speak up and ask for feedback, and set aggressive goals and achieve them. Our highest performing reps are willing to come to work every day and work hard on behalf of local heroes.

Please reach out to me directly if you have any other input you’d like to offer.

Best,

Hard work pays off
Team Lead / Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2017
You get out of it what you put into it. There is a lot to learn but, it is very doable. Management is very supportive. Great team environment! You have to remain focused and persistent. The FREE snacks are a hit!
Pros
Great people.
Cons
High turn over!
March 28, 2017

Thank you for highlighting our great team and exciting working environment in NYC! I couldn’t agree more, if you put your heart into this job, remain laser-focused on our mission, and commit to helping the local heroes who do so much for their communities, you will get so much out of working at Main Street Hub. And, our management will be right there supporting you and elevating you to do your best. I’m looking forward to seeing everything you will accomplish here!

Thanks again,
(Tom Calvert, SVP Sales)

Very good start up company in downtown austin tx
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2017
• Provide customer service to business owners who are unfamiliar on how social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, can improve their business
• Assist business owners on what types of content they should be posting about their business and help them if any errors occur
• Worked with a sales team to meet monthly quotas
• Helped boost the awareness of local businesses with social media
• Developed top performing sales skills
Pros
nice people to work with, lots of opportunity for advancements.
Cons
The sales culture didn't fit my mentality.
February 17, 2017

Thank you for highlighting our great team and abundant opportunities for personal and professional growth here in ATX! Cold-calling can definitely be challenging, but our Sales Reps on our teams in Austin and NYC come to work every day knowing that they are going to help make an impact for local businesses. It sounds like you really embraced the opportunity to thrive while you were here, and I wish you all the best in your career moving forward.

Thanks again,
(Tom Calvert, SVP Sales)

Turnover is high for a reason
Associate Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2016
This is the most challenging sales cycle I've experienced-- cold calls with a product that's difficult to explain. Your coworkers will be amazing, but most of them won't be around for long. Great benefits. Commission structure is tough
Pros
Great Healthcare
October 19, 2016

I appreciate you giving us this feedback. In our sales roles, cold calling is core to the job because it’s how we can best help local businesses. In order to introduce them to our unique product, which helps them get new customers and keep them coming back, we need to reach out to them. They don’t have the time or resources to be searching for a solution like ours, and in many cases,they don’t even know that this kind of product exists and are excited to hear what we can do for them. Every call is an opportunity for us to help them overcome their biggest obstacle to running a successful business: acquiring and retaining customers.

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review,
Tom Calvert, SVP Sales

High Energy and positive working enviornment, fast paced and performance based
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2016
I typical day of work at Main Street Hub was organized chaos of team building, selling incentives. The hardest part of the job was trying to maintain a daily pillar; scheduling 3 demos, making 100 calls or making a sale.
October 19, 2016

It’s awesome that you love the high-energy, positive environment that we have here at Main Street Hub. Our culture is the foundation of everything we do, and every day our teammates come to work ready to elevate each other and work hard on behalf of local businesses. I definitely understand that our pillars are challenging, but every call is another chance to help another local hero discover community, so we challenge ourselves to hit those goals in order to help as many local businesses as we possibly can.

Thanks for leaving us a review!

--Tom Calvert, SVP Sales

Standard boiler room with a tech-hipster veneer
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2016
Single-room call center. You're expected to make at least 100 calls per day, but the more the better. Music is blaring. The only qualifications for being hired are don't be an obvious drug addict and know how to use a phone. Management is incompetent. Little to no job security. Churn & burn. You will burn out working here.
October 19, 2016

I’m grateful for this feedback and want to address a few things here. First, I’m surprised by your criticism of your former colleagues. Our NYC Team works hard every day to elevate their team members on the floor, and their management team is only getting better. We not only offer consistent training and learning and development initiatives, but we have also added two new directors and one new site director to the NYC Team.

You’re right, our sales roles on the ATX and NYC teams do involve cold calling, which can definitely be challenging, but every call is our chance to connect with another local business owner and show them our unique product. The more calls we make, the more potential we have to make an impact on a local business -- helping them get new customers and get back to doing what they love.

If you have any other feedback, don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly.
--Tom Calvert, SVP Sales

Great for entry level sales
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2016
They are good at bringing people on and training them for cold-calling. They also have a pretty good commission structure in place from what I understand...it's been over two years since I worked there.
Pros
Free breakfast on Mondays back in the day
Cons
Micromanamgent
August 24, 2016

Thanks for this review! I am happy you highlighted our excellent training and onboarding program. We invest in the development of our new hires in both Austin and NYC with industry-leading training that ensures all reps get everything they need to be successful at Main Street Hub.

Thanks also for pointing out our great commission structure. Under our new compensation package, there is the opportunity to earn residuals and uncapped monthly commissions, and reps can start earning commissions in their first month. And, don’t worry we still offer free, hot breakfast every Monday. Thanks again for this review and please reach out if you have any further feedback. --Tom Calvert, SVP Sales

Great culture but a Grind
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 13, 2016
Cold call environment. Great people to work with but it is a grind.Great product. If you live the core values and believe in the mission you will enjoy working here even if it is a grind.
Pros
Culture, people, product
Cons
Cold calling.
October 19, 2016

Thanks for highlighting these important points! I couldn’t agree more with what you said here, “If you live the core values and believe in the mission, you will enjoy working here.” It’s hard work on our sales teams in ATX and NYC, but if you have a reverence for local business and are ready to challenge yourself, work outside of your comfort barriers, and own your results, you will be very successful here. I’m glad you’ve had a rewarding experience here so far.

Thanks again for this review. All the best,
(Tom Calvert, SVP Sales)

Great place to learn sales culture
Associate Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 1, 2016
The job is incredibly performance-incentive; there is the grind of having to cold call but if you can perform within the top 25% of the company, you should find sustainability.
Pros
Snack bar, beer, location, training
Cons
Long hours, low incentive to stay if not in top 25% of company sales leaders.
August 9, 2016

Thank you for this review! Thanks also for highlighting our awesome, energetic sales culture. I want to take this chance to explain our new compensation package for both our Austin and New York Sales Teams. It’s a fantastic opportunity for individuals who are ready to work hard on behalf of local businesses. All reps have the opportunity to earn commissions within their first month, and there is no quota -- reps earn on every dollar that they sell. Plus, in addition to the base salary, there is also the opportunity to earn residuals and uncapped monthly commissions. --Tom Calvert, SVP Sales

A job that rewards but you have to work hard for it.
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 7, 2016
Cold calling business everyday to reach the owner and sell the our product. My manager was new to the position and did a great job in making sure we had the tools and knowledge to be the best. The people I worked along side were very supportive and had excellent insight. I learned that no matter how hard you try you are going to fail but just keep the right mindset and keep going because someone is going to listen,
Pros
Free breakfast on Mondays, free beer after work, ping pong table, 100% paid medical, & great people to work with.
Cons
Warm leads were only given to the tenured sales reps.
July 11, 2016

Thank you for this review! We love the upbeat environment in both our New York and Austin offices, but it is hard work, and we’re happy you pointed that out. We’re focused every day on fulfilling our mission of helping local businesses and their customers discover community.

We’re also grateful that you pointed out our excellent management team. At Main Street Hub, we believe a strong culture starts with a strong team. One of our core values is Elevate Others, and our managers are on the floor to do just that, lift their team members up. We find that our top performers are the ones who not only challenge themselves everyday to improve, but also elevate their team members that surround them with positivity and graciousness. --Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

Question
Potential job candidate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2016
Doesn't it seem odd-or telling-that the CEOs feel compelled to address (spin) every criticism that current/former employees make about the work environment, the typical activities in a work day, or how the company is run? There seems to be no contrition or, at the least, acknowledgment that there are areas of growth in the company. To me, that 'attitude' and practice of 'justifications' is annoying at best, and quite a reflection of the criticisms at worst.
Cons
Thin skinned
July 11, 2016

Thank you for this review. We believe that we can gain valuable insights from any constructive criticism and candid feedback we receive, and we value it. In fact, since transparency is at the foundation of our culture, we believe that gaining insights from it is the only way we can be successful as a company. We believe we have many areas where we can improve, as a company and as individuals, and that’s part of the reward of the work -- pushing beyond our comfort barriers and finding new levels of performance. We’re excited that our focus on those areas has led to a great deal of improvement in the business over the years. --Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

Wolf of Wall Street Wannabees
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2016
In my 10+ years in sales have I ever seen such a horror like this place. Loud rap music blasting while pitching prospective clients on the phone. Young college grads - stay away! Their managers and values are bogus, so are their recruiters.
Pros
laid back
Cons
because they are laid back, the support from management is a joke.
July 11, 2016

Thanks for this review. We’re grateful for the opportunity to offer our perspective.

First, you mentioned our management teams. Our leadership on our sales teams in Austin and New York are on the floor to support their team members and motivate them with positivity and graciousness. To make sure that managers are equipped with the right tools to help their team members succeed, we focus on their professional development through weekly trainings. We also make sure that there is constant feedback from team members to their managers to help them recognize their areas of strength and areas for improvement.

You also mentioned our values. Our values shape our culture and are the foundation of everything we do. One of our values is Challenge Ourselves, which includes working every day to improve on our performance, grow professionally, and execute on behalf of local businesses. We have found that our most successful team members are those who embrace that opportunity.

For individuals who are looking for a place to contribute to local businesses’ success, have the opportunity to make a contribution in one of the fastest growing companies in the country, and accelerate their professional development, this is the place. But you have to be serious about doing the work serious about the values of the company and ready to take ownership of your experience. --Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

Great Company
Associate Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 27, 2016
It is a great company to work for, great culture amazing co-workers. It is a really hard job but the results are rewarding. Not for the faint hearted.
Pros
Competitive pay, great room to grow
Cons
A lot of grind
June 15, 2016

Thank you for this review and for highlighting our incredible culture. We’re glad that you are taking ownership of this opportunity and reaping the rewards of all of your hard work on behalf of local businesses. We agree: there are many opportunities at Main Street Hub for those who want to grow both personally and professionally. We wish you continued success accelerating your career with us.-- Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

Laid back environment in downtown Austin - still small enough to make an impact
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 24, 2016
I really enjoy the people at MSH and the autonomy I have to get my work done. Great managers there when I need guidance. Regular feedback sessions for continual growth and learning. Casual work environment where the focus is on getting the work in front of you completed efficiently and at a high level. Nice office in downtown Austin. Start up feel with resources of medium sized business.No real complaints at this point in time.
Pros
100% paid benefits for employees from 1st day of employment, casual environment, free Houndstooth coffee & snacks, good people, downtown office
Cons
No 401K matching
June 15, 2016

Thank you for this review! We’re grateful that you pointed out our excellent leadership team and our emphasis on giving and receiving feedback. At Main Street Hub, we know that candor and constructive dissent are critical to our success. So we believe in being open and listening to feedback from our team so that we can consistently improve as we grow as a company. --Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

A company with very little clarity and vision
Profile Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2016
Overstated advancement opportunity. Very low pay. No consideration for work-life balance. Junior managers with no experience and poor training. A great deal of nepotism and favoritism.
Pros
snacks and beer, but it gets old fast
March 22, 2016

Thank you for this review. We are grateful for the chance to offer our perspective. We are a mission-driven, values-based company with an incredible team, and we do have great perks -- we’re happy you pointed that out. But, one of the reasons we founded the company, was to provide meaningful growth opportunities to people who want to make a big impact for others. We’re thrilled that six years in, our team is filled with individuals who fit that description, not to mention others who have gone on to make a big impact elsewhere in part due to their professional and career growth at Main Street Hub. One of our favorite parts of the job is seeing individuals grow into roles that enable them to lead teams or create new products here, as a result of ambition and hard work. We’re looking forward to welcoming future team members who share our values, we find that the individuals who do feel truly rewarded here. --Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

Fun place to work but many flaws
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2016
I enjoyed my time at MSH. Fun high energy level place to work. However, even though the company is almost 6 years old and has hundreds of employees, it still has terrible growing pains in management.
March 22, 2016

Thank you for leaving this review. We are happy that you enjoyed your time here. At Main Street Hub, we do have a high-energy environment where we work hard and have fun doing it. It’s also high-growth. As one of the fastest growing companies in the country, we take our team’s professional growth very seriously. We are growing every day, and that means we spend a lot of our time hiring and developing the future leaders of the company. We have a robust professional growth program here, including quarterly training courses for all new managers, and we are continuing to make investments in this area. --Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

Productive work place
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2016
high energy work place with a lot of potential, co-workers are very supportive towards your success, contacting local businesses to assist in managing social media websites on their business
March 22, 2016

Thank you for this review! We are so glad that you are having a great experience here, and we are grateful that you highlighted our strong culture and team. We find that our top performers are the ones who not only challenge themselves everyday to improve, but also elevate their team members that surround them with positivity and graciousness. --Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

A decent entry level job
Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 28, 2015
On the surface this looks like a cool fast-growing startup with tons of opportunity for growth and promotion. Reality ends up being much different. The company is constantly hiring tons of salespeople because everyone quits within a few months. They quit due to low company morale, lack of job training, and the fact that less than 15% of salespeople make commission.
March 22, 2016

Thanks for this review. On our sales teams in both Austin and New York, focus and hard work lead to great things for both our team and our customers. We have phenomenal incentives, like exciting spiffs and contests, as well as weekly continuing education and training, and professional development sessions to help our team level up their careers. And, all sales reps at Main Street Hub have the opportunity to earn uncapped monthly commissions. We think it’s the best opportunity out there for those who love local businesses and want to be a part of something big. --Matt and Andrew, Co-CEOs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Main Street Hub. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6