MaineGeneral Health Employee Reviews in United States

A Great Place to Grow in Your Career
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 9, 2016
I started for MaineGeneral as a temp five years ago; within months, a position became available and I was excited at the opportunity. Within my time there, my supervisors constantly groomed me to grow in my positions. They were available to communicate challenges as well as successes. MGH has a culture of excellence that makes you feel like a valued employee, like you are truly making a difference to the entire organization.
A culture of dishonesty.
RN (Former Employee) –  Med-Surg/TelemetryJuly 19, 2016
I enjoyed working as a nurse at Augusta General, until I was fired. I honestly don't know how I could have avoided it, however. Every time I did something that someone (tech, nurse, or supervisor) disapproved of, I would find out about it in a meeting days later. I was never given specifics, or an idea on how I could improve, just "someone said you were rude to them", or "you need to fill out more of the admission assessment. Not necessarily all of it, just more."

This is a nice little town with plenty going for it, and I met some nurses I really liked, but I need coworkers who are there to help me be the best I can be, not gossips and backstabbers.
Pros
Nice town to work in.
Cons
Gossip-heavy, supervisors who fear direct confrontation.
Great Work Environment
Patient Access Lead (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEDecember 9, 2015
Good family feel and ample opportunity for advancement. You also get a lot of vacation time and benefits are very affordable.
If you like being ostracized and belittled, this is your place
Effective decision-maker (Former Employee) –  MaineJuly 12, 2016
This is the worst place I worked in 27 years. Management delights In belittling you. They lie to you about education offered then offer you nothing. The workers there were strung out on something; many days they were barely able to to their job.
Run don't walk away from this company.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Worrying that patients may not be in qualified hands
Unorganized, unwilling to work with you, have their own old set ways.
Medical Transcrptionist (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MaineMarch 2, 2015
Worst experience of my career. Training was unorganized, not efficient, old school training - slow and such a waste of time and money. Management has no desire for change, definitely not easy to approach or work with you. I saw a lot of favoritism going on. I was #4 to quit in 6 months time.
Pros
benefits, pay.
Cons
everything else!
Great career opportunities and mentoring environment
Controller (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEJuly 23, 2013
The past years in the Finance Department have been personally and professionally extremely satisfying due to the ability to manage my professional and personal life and to work with a highly qualified professional team in a challenging environment. We support each other by working together as a team always focusing on the best interest of MaineGeneral. The company and management in our department support learning and growth opportunities for our employees, while ensuring accountability in adhering to the company's values and standards. I encourage employees who are looking for a career in a mentoring, challenging healthcare environment to consider applying at MaineGeneral.
Pros
team environment, great benefits, growth opportunities
working with people within the community
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MEOctober 12, 2015
MaineGeneral Health is a good place to work. Good benefits (insurance, etc.), nice people to work with. My position requires a variety of skills and a need to be flexible.
If you are looking for a community hospital atmosphere, this is not it.
prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  MGMCJune 26, 2014
Everyone is so busy at this new facility that the interaction with co-workers is lost. Management only cares about their own job and their management goals so they can get raises and could care less about how hard the "real" workers are working for the patients. Breaks are just about non existence and a lot of times we have to work through lunch.
As with any health care worker the best part of this job is working with the patients.
Pros
no pros
Cons
short breaks to no breaks. disconnection of management to real workers.
Awful!!
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Augusta,MaineAugust 3, 2015
They will work you to death with minimal staff! Management is unorganized an innefficient! Tons of favoritism, and if you are good at what you do you will be targeted. Worst place I have work in all the 13 years I have been doing my Job!!!
Pros
coworkers
Cons
The entire organization!
Great place to work now with only one location soon.
Staff Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MENovember 28, 2012
Very proactive top management. I am so grateful for all the education and learning opportunities provided for me by the CEO's administrative leadership. A challenge in support and communication for staff chaplains lay in the hospital having two locations each with different cultures and styles of operation. The main Pastoral Care department was in the city of Augusta, ME and the location where I worked was in Waterville, ME .
MaineGeneral currently has merged the two locations and will soon be opening a new centrally located hospital in Augusta.
Very hard work environment to fit in. I never felt accepted. Not a friendly environment.
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 11, 2013
I received little training in a field that was indepth. I was told that it takes 6 months to fully learn the job, but was let go at 2 months. Favortisim is definetly a huge problem along with management talking about you on the floor with other employees. The work load was tremendous and management and other employees were continuously nagging at me. It was like being set up to fail.
benefits
Cons
management/poor training/favortisim/backstabbing
If you want to be micromanaged by unprofessionals come here
rather not say (Former Employee) –  alfond center for healthSeptember 2, 2014
Most of the people who work here have been here since they got outvof high school. do not try to bring up new ideas unless you don't mind being made to feel like a complete idiot. micromanagment and nepotisim are a normal occurance here as well as unprofessional childish high school behavior that is systematically covered up by human resources. change is a dirty word and those who try to bring it on are run out of there. this place is hemmoraging money and it is only a matter of time before someone comes in and takes them over and cleans out the house of the nonsense .
benefits
Cons
everything else
Excellent working conditions
Clinical Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEMay 12, 2015
Members of staff are very friendly. Management places a high emphasis and expectation on patient care. Nurses and clinical staff are very cooperative in the delivery of healthcare responsibilities and duties.
Decent Employer
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEOctober 30, 2014
A typical day in my position could vary from very busy to more quiet. There are many learning opportunities and flexibility as far as cross-training. The hardest part of this job were the less busy times, because there are strict rules about not reading or using the internet for things other than job-related work. When this goes on for several hours a shift sometimes for days on end it can be difficult to stand if you're energetic. The best parts of the job are that the coworkers are generally friendly and try to go out of their way to make everyone feel at home, patients and peers alike. The job functions themselves are enjoyable as well if you enjoy being around people like I did. Overall I had a pretty good experience there.
MaineGeneral is a great hospital and I would highly recommend it to everyone.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJuly 3, 2012
Worked there almost 22 years, went from LPN to RN to Charge Nurse. Made many wonderful friends. The hospital was a great careen choice, but the government regulations have destroyed patient care. The hospital is doing everything they can to make sure the patients have the best care possible but because of regulations forced on them by our PROGRESSIVE government they have taken all of the enjoyment out of nursing.
The company is a nice place to work, but no guarentees
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJanuary 24, 2015
Working for the hospital is good, but no more training due to budget cutting and not a real friendly place. Things have changed since the move.
Pros
nice place
Cons
stricter and not as friendly
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJanuary 17, 2014
Maternal child nurses have choices of working Labor and Delivery, Postpartum, Pediatrics, as well as Postpartum Home Visits
Plenty of educational resources
Pros
education is supported, several opportunities for growth
Cons
12 hr shifts only, which is appealing for many, but became a challenge for this working mother
ok place to work and close to home
Full time and Per Diem (Former Employee) –  Waterville MaineJune 26, 2013
the average day includes order confirmation, data aquistion and potential titration of PAP and or O2 if the patient fits the protocol. The shift length is 12 hours for 3 days per week
Pros
close to home with minimal commuting costs
Cons
not all 3 days in a row
It is now Alfond Center of Health MGH Augusta
Hospital Diagnostic Scheduler / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJanuary 1, 2014
I stayed at my job so long was because I loved my job and the Imaging department I worked for.
Cons
when my job was moved out of the thayer unit mgmc.
Very rewarding working with Wellness
State of Maine Contract - Gym Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEJuly 25, 2013
Working with a great team of people - helping state employees to have a healther life style.

2.7