MaineHealth Employee Reviews

Underpaid staff, cut corners, dirty
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 6, 2017
The nursing assistants, housekeepers, transporters, lab techs...etc make a similar wage to McDonald's workers. Some of these positions require a fair amount of training/licensing/certifications. These people are undervalued and treated unfairly - particularly by management. Per diem workers do not get a higher hourly rate, like most hospitals offer. Corporate structure with financial gain seeming to be the priority over patient and employee satisfaction. The facility is not as clean as it should be, and I believe that is a direct result of unappreciated staff.

The fellowship among nurses, CNAs, housekeepers, etc is excellent and most people seems to get along very well.

The benefits are also quite good.

The patients, as always, are the best part of the job.

Not enough transparency trickling down. Management often seem to have hidden motives and seem "fake nice."

Long 12 hours days with only a half hour unpaid lunch are pretty much the only option (with the exception of a few coveted positions in day surgery). Another way for the organization to make more money...

I do not suggest employment here.... at least at the Portland Bramhall Maine Med Campus as an RN or lower staff.
Pros
benefits, good peer culture, great patients, tuition reimbursement
Cons
short breaks, low pay, long hours, shady management, underappreciated staff, dirty hospital
Good Experience
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 9, 2016
Not a bad company to work for.Enjoyed the people worked with.
Though my choosen line of work, it was a good experience. Management was understanding with work life balance
Pros
Good people
Cons
difficult advancement
Challenging & varied duties in an undisciplined work environment with a micro managing and volatile manager.
Payroll Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Portland MEJune 9, 2016
I learned use of Lawson GL and Payroll applications, direct filing of Payroll withholding & SUTA taxes and increased my Excel skills. The environment was less than professional with constant non-work related chatter, off color comments and an inept supervisor. The most difficult part of the job was the GL reconciliations. The most enjoyable part of the job was interaction with other departments and outside agencies in resolving issues.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Research your job before accepting!!!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 19, 2016
Maine Health has a monopoly on health care facilities in Southern Maine since they bought everything up. It was like PAC MAN. Chomp. Chomp! Unfortunately the culture and the management didn't change with the extra facilities or the overflow of patients in all of the facilities. They bought the places before they planned out how things were going to work. Front line staff still suffer. They still have the same unsafe nurse to patient ratio's , still have unacceptable rates of hospital acquired infections , still don't provide front line staff with what they need to get their work done and still treat nurses as " children who are lucky to work there " instead of the professionals that they are. Front line staff work 12 HR shifts , get verbally abused, physically abused, ordered around, go without breaks , bend over backwards every day to provide excellent patient care and when review time comes around are told " sorry "they" are just giving 2 percent this year" . Hardly worth the paperwork.
Maine Health prides itself on having a Magnet hospital at Maine Medical which is about professional practice, safe pt care, excellence and inclusion of staff.. If the raters only knew what really went on in some departments - not all mind you- but enough- the hospital would be ripped of its status.
Take away- unless you are in Upper Management, all is not as it seems.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
no money for education, no emphasis on advancement, petty rules, no autonomy, not valued as a profession, Management gossips
Think twice before taking a lower level job here.
Maine Certified MHRT/C (Former Employee) –  South Portland, ME 04106November 18, 2016
Upper and Middle Management have lost sight of Mission Objectives with emphasis on productivity and billing. Quality of services suffers. This organization has too many high paid executives for a non profit organization. Lower level staff suffer due to poor policy planning and implementation and greed of upper management.
You get what you give
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Portland MaineMarch 4, 2016
I have been working at MaineHealth since June 2014. Coming from a smaller non health care company of 2,000 employees it was shocking at first. I work with people daily that I have never met in person. BUT I have found in two years that you get what you put in. If you want to make work friends and take on unique projects across divisions, the opportunity is there. You just need to go for it. Management at a variety of levels has been great at harnessing the energy of a relatively green new hire like myself. They also pushed me to take advantage of the 2k tuition reimbursement AND I am going for my MBA.

You can always tie back what you do to quality and patient satisfaction. I wish I made a bit more money, but the job is so satisfying and there are career paths all over the place. Your return on investment for working at MaineHealth will be high.
Pros
Many resources available, career paths
Cons
parking
Productive, Great Working Enviornment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJanuary 8, 2017
Working at Maine Health was my best work experience. The management makes working there workable and likeable. The office was fast paced and very productive which I look for in a job.
Solid employment
REGISTERED RESPIRATORY THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 24, 2017
Level 1 acute care center with great opportunity for growth. Floor assignments can range from extremely busy to very boring. Intensive Care Units are challenging in a good way. At times I would have eleven ventilators running simultaneously but usually other therapists with light floor assignments would come and assist with vent checks and ABG's. Nights are difficult but necessary to get your foot in the door.
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
Nights are brutal
A teaching hospital
Certified Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 12, 2017
I worked here 30 years ago.
It was a very busy nuclear medicine department and always short staffed at that time.
However, I would highly recommend working at a teaching hospital especially right out of school as you learn so much so quickly.
I am so thankful to Maine Medical Center for showing me how to become the nuclear medicine tech I am today!
Pros
Paid for continuing education credits
Cons
Only con would be being short staffed and so busy
Excellent
First assist to surgeons in the operating room (Current Employee) –  Portland ManeApril 17, 2016
Good job work/life balance. Good compensation/benefits. Job security and advancement good.
Co-workers are great, working as a team.
Fast paced Enviornment
Patient Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 8, 2016
A typical day at MMC would involve taking incoming calls from patients who need to register for an upcoming procedure(s) they may have.

The hardest part of the job would be speaking to patients who may or may not understand why they are having certain tests or procedures.

The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing our patients say "Thank You" when we made the extra effort to answer questions they may of had.
Pros
Working in an open enviornment
Cons
Working in an open enviornment
SMHC does not care about the employee.
FINANCIAL COUNSELOR / SELF PAY (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, ME, Saco, and Sanford, MEAugust 9, 2016
Management only cared about how much you can get done in one day and not about the employee anymore. Primecare Physiciians and SMMC merged with Goodall into Southern Maine Health Care and the caring and quality has gone away.
Pros
cafeteria at the hospital site
Cons
No bonus at Christmas or Thanks giving
Do your homework
Follow Up CBO (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MESeptember 1, 2016
This place has a lot of growth to do. Working here is a lot like shopping at a big chain store. You look up and down the aisles for someone to help you, but where ever they are... they are not available. You ask questions and are told to "search online." They have a great resource on how to use their computer program HyperSpace Epic. But they do not have a standard operating procedure on scenarios that occur when you call the insurances. The training materials are mediocre at best. They are about to take down the cubicle walls and take away your headphones in case you need quiet or noise to help you concentrate.l You are expected to basically wing it. They are trying to micromanage right down to what music you can listen to at your desk. The trainers will tell you what to do. But for the love of god never, ever, ever ask why we do things that way because they don't know. If you email someone for an answer, do not hold your breath as you wait for a response. You need to "babysit" the management because they will forget about you, but they make it clear stuff rolls downhill. The pay starting is 15 an hour. You can get health insurance there, but expect to pay about 200 every two weeks for a family. Pay is biweekly. Bottom line: Great place to work, needs a better sense of direction and training documents.
Pros
Half Hour lunch, fifteen minute breaks, free cake
Cons
Lack of follow through with training, lack of places you can go for answers, no one reads their emails
Too many Chiefs
Billing office (Former Employee) –  MaineJuly 1, 2016
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Upper management thinks all jobs are easy to do and a trained monkey can do it. Never understanding the people learn at different levels. You never learn fast enough and you never do enough work. Unless you're a favorite then you can chat all day and have your workload pushed onto someone else.
Pros
They seem friendly in the beginning...
Productive workplace
Cofounder clothing closet Spring Harbor Hospital (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEDecember 15, 2016
I am a co-founder of the clothing closet at Spring Harbor Hospital. Lots of people go into the hospital with next to nothing. Some people are coming off of the streets or coming from jail. Everyone deserves to look and feel good so we started the clothing closet for patients and for the residential programs.
Very large hospital, bad pay.
Sterile Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 31, 2017
In the Central Supply Department, it was very poorly managed. Work conditions were dangerous, and not healthy for pregnant women. The pay was horrible for the amount of work and work conditions. Pro is that you could always get over time on over nights
Excellent Place to Work!
Talent Acquisition Partner (Current Employee) –  Rockland, MEMarch 4, 2016
I have been working for MaineHealth for almost two years; nowhere else have I found the supportive environment and stellar coworkers that I have here. With so many different organizations under the MaineHealth umbrella there is always room to grow and move.

My position requires that I work closely with Managers and employees from all over MaineHealth and my interactions have been largely positive. Since MaineHealth is a non-profit company, the salaries may not be as high as a for-profit company but I believe the growth and learning opportunities more than make up for the difference.
Pros
Supportive environment; excellent benefits; growth & learning opportunities
Cons
Lower pay than for-profit companies but worth it.
Worked in Call Center
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJanuary 31, 2017
Answered phones and helped patients refill prescriptions, make / cancel appointments, relayed test results if authorized. work environment was great. The people I worked with were great people.
Pros
great people / work enviroment
Cons
dealing with irrate patients
Temporary Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 8, 2016
I was only there a brief period of time as I worked through a temp. agency. But my overall experience was very good. There were no full time jobs available at that time.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
No full time positions available
good company
Billing and Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, MEFebruary 16, 2016
The physicians and staff are very good to work with. however the management is very difficult. There is no room for advancement due to the favoritism. I enjoy coding and learning new things. I would like to be in a company that promotes growth opportunities and does not restrict or discourage self improvement and learning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MaineHealth. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval