Make-A-Wish Foundation

Make-A-Wish Foundation Employer Reviews

Created fun and inviting Fundraisers for an awesome cause!
Volunteer (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 14, 2014
Pros: granting a child's wish
As a sorority, we coordinated a Philanthropy team to create different fundraisers in order to reach our ultimate goal of raising $5,000 to grant a full wish which we always managed to reach. This includes sending children to Disneyland or other childhood dream vacation spots for those who are terminally ill. This is a very rewarding and touching experience – more... and is also close to me personally being that my cousin was connected with Make-A-Wish when she was ill. – less
Worst job environment EVER!
Development / Special Events Intern (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 8, 2014
Let me start off by saying that I love everything that the Make-A-Wish Foundation does for children with life-threatening diseases.

As an intern, I was near invisible when working with the staff. Even on my first day, no one even really acknowledged my presence. This is a relatively small office, of maybe 20 FEMALES, so as an African American female, – more... I KNOW I was seen.

What I expected from this position was to be engulfed in the world of nonprofit, shadow some of the higher ups, and receive critical advice from maybe the CEO. All day, I just filed, called jobs, and sat at a secluded desk in a completely separate building. I consistently expressed my enthusiasm for the Non Profit realm, but no one took me seriously.

It may have just been this office. It's sad to say that if I was offered a permanent position with MAW at this branch, my answer would be an astounding NO! – less
Great experience working with children with life-threatening diseases
Intern (Former Employee), Blue Bell, PADecember 30, 2013
Pros: working with people of all ages doing different activities everyday
A typical day at my internship at the Make-A-Wish Foundation included the following: making itineraries for wish children, making phone calls to families, creating backpacks for children who are traveling on their trips, writing letters, sending thank you cards, helping the wish coordinators and all others within the office. I learned so much from the – more... Make-A-Wish Foundation. I learned leadership, cooperation, creativeness, and courage. I learned a lot about empathy and how much it takes to keep this organization running. I also learned that this chapter alone grants about 3,000+ wishes a year. – less
Awe Inspiring Staff, Mission and Cause
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 21, 2013
The Make-A-Wish foundation is dedicated to raising funds for granting wishes to children facing life threatening diseases. The staff is mindful, hard-working, and compassionate.
Great place to work with fantastic support from all of the co-workers. Very team oriented atmosphere
Medical Outreach Intern, Volunteer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2013
Enjoyable place to work. Everyone seems to be on the same page and working towards the same goal, which is most important. The co-workers are extremely friendly and definitely grow to be part of a family.
Great Experience
Intern (summer) (Current Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 4, 2013
Working here is wonderful and very rewarding. Not many people have the opportunity of granting somebody's wish and this was my job every single day.
Granted the opportunity to learn about non profit company standards. Overall very educational and good work experience.
Wonderful Charity - bad management and ill-will in the community from prior mis-management
Regional Director (Former Employee), FLFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: seeing terminally ill children get their fondest wished fulfilled
Cons: turning around the community perception of the organization
My days consisted of organizing volunteers, record keeping and fund-raising. Dealing with local businesses was the highlight of my job, besides the obvious joy in making a difference in the lives of terminally ill children.

Management in Central Florida suffered from prior employee dishonesty and the credibility in the communities was difficult. The – more... hardest part of the job was convincing donors that all the problems had been solved prior to my coming aboard.

I ran a 2 person office and my employee was a treasure.

The hardest part of the job was being replaced with a wealthy donor's wife who had no fundraising experience. Due to financial constraints (economic downturn) the decision was made to staff the office with volunteers. – less
Non-Profit Organization
Chapter Support-Finance Intern (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 13, 2013
Make-A-Wish Foundation grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.
Great place to be
Volunteer Services Intern (Current Employee), Riverside, CADecember 2, 2012
Pros: great atmosphere, amazing purpose
Cons: not compensated
I thoroughly enjoy interning for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the organizations mission is inspiring.
Public Relations Intern
Public Relations Intern (Former Employee), N/ASeptember 12, 2012
Pros: unbelievably good cause. organization has an incredible integrity
Cons: management shifts a lot, making it hard to gain momentum.
Great people, great cause, great everything from the outside. As an intern, though, work was just a bit boring and unchallenging. Internship was unstructured and I had to find things to do most of the time. Very little accountability and I felt more like some office volunteer than a specialized intern.
Fun people to work with
Internship (Former Employee), Erie, PAMay 9, 2012
Pros: wonderful learning experience
Cons: sometimes, there was just no work to do
As an intern, the most exciting part was learning everything the foundation had done in the past.

Typical work day includes coming in and assisting with whatever the day's tasks were: answering calls, aiding in delivering different materials, attending workshops and industry discussions.

Everyone was so kind and welcoming.

The hardest part as an – more... intern was not getting paid, other than that, it was a wonderful experience. – less
Great Place to work!
Marketing Intern (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2012
I have loved every minute of my internship here and have learned a lot along the way. It is a very inspiring place to work!
Passionate people who really care.
Corporate Marketing Intern (Former Employee), Seattle, WaMarch 1, 2012
Pros: getting involved in wish stories/experiences.
Cons: unpaid
As an intern I learned quite a bit. I was able to do administrative task while actually working on my own marketing campaigns. What really inspired me there was learning about each individual wish kid story and how their wish brought happiness to their lives.
Vibrant and fun place to work
Fundraising member (Current Employee), London, ENGSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: paid transportation
Cons: standing all through fundraising events.
It is a volunteering job, i have enjoyed helping out in this foundation and have learned a whole lot. The friendly atmosphere is welcoming and makes me strive to work harder to full-fill the charity's goals.

About Make-A-Wish Foundation

The Make-A-Wish Foundation of America's mission is to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. The – Read more