Make-A-Wish Foundation Employee Reviews

I worked in compliance/finance
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 17, 2017
A dream job turned into a nightmare with new management. There are several departments in the National Office that have excellent leadership, compliance is NOT one of them. If you interview with anyone in the National Office, pay close attention to their behavior in the interview. This would be their good side. The mission is wonderful but not worth being treated poorly as an employee. What I learned from working here is what you see is what you get and that you can't trust human resources. The workplace culture is one that protects the directors and executive leadership team. Everyone else seemed to be easily disposable. The hardest part of my job was the way I was treated my management. The most enjoyable part of my job was hearing the wish stories.
Pros
Being apart of an organization that grants wishes to sick children
Cons
Management in Compliance and Finance
productive and rewarding workplace
Wish Granter, Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 22, 2017
humbling experience, met with wish children and families, trained to become wish granter. Great support staff and great environment. Really enjoyable internship.
Unpaid Internship
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 20, 2017
This internship gave me the opportunity to learn a lot of about non-profit work. As interns we were able to work on a variety of projects and sometimes structure our own work.
Rewarding Job with a Positive and fun atmosphere
Intern (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXAugust 3, 2017
I am able to help grant wishes to children that are fighting life threatening diseases and conditions, which is so rewarding and satisfying to know that I am positively affecting a child's life.
Pros
great atmosphere
Fun and caring environment
Medical Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  Lake Success, NYJuly 17, 2017
MAW is a great organization with great staff and management. The team does an incredible job granting the wishes of every eligible child. The organization is very reliable and hard working, striving their best to achieve the companys mission, vision, and values.
Fun workplace and wonderful colleagues
Program Management - Intern & Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 9, 2017
Fun workplace and wonderful colleagues to work with for a great cause and mission. Love interacting with wish children and their families and to know that I was making an impact directly or indirectly to the organization.
Work culture
Event Planner (Current Employee) –  South Salt Lake, UTMay 8, 2017
This is an absolutely amazing place to work, the environment is so inspiring and the staff is great. As an employee or volunteer there you truly feel like you're making a difference.
Productive yet rewarding
Volunteer Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 19, 2017
A typical work day at Make-A-Wish is to routinely communicate with volunteers while being surrounded by uplifting coworkers. Also knowing no matter how small a task that it all leads to the big picture!
I didn't learn anything
Intern (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTApril 17, 2017
Make-A-Wish is a great organization but I don't recommend interning there. You will be doing tasks such as stuffing envelopes and making simple, repetitive changes to massive spreadsheets. Very mind numbing work. All internships at Make-A-Wish are nonpaid.
Pros
Great organization, nice staff, low pressure
Cons
Non paid, remidial tasks, few oppertunities to learn
Great management and great volunteers
Intern/ Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 26, 2017
Was a wonderful atmosphere and everyone there was willing to put in the effort to help. Working with all the volunteers helped me learn how to manage a large amount of individuals while learning Raiser's Edge.

Want to know more about Make-A-Wish Foundation?

Ask a question
I am a volunteer and I love it.
Events Volunteer & Speakers Bureau Member (Current Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYNovember 8, 2016
I am a volunteer and I love it. This is not a paid position. It is wonderful working with other people who share the same passion.
Great experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Merced, CASeptember 1, 2016
Volunteering with Make a wish was a great experience because I learned a lot about the families and the children who have cancer. They inspired me to continue my education to help children.
Wonderful!
Wish Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 31, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Make-A-Wish Foundation. It truly was my honor to spend time coordinating wishes for the very deserving children.
The hardest job you can ever love
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 24, 2016
The work was extremely rewarding, working with children and families to help make wishes come true. But at the same time, it was very difficult dealing with the sadness and loss of children who did not survive their illnesses.

This job taught me that families are broken apart because of the traumas involved with sick kids. Oftentimes, the siblings were neglected while the sick child took precedence. Make-A-Wish brought everyone back together because all immediate family members were included in the wish process.

I did not have fellow co-workers in our location, but working with volunteers was fun and exciting.
Pros
Rewarding, fun, challenging
Cons
Had to be able to respond 24/7 in the event of an emergency
Inspiring, energetic place to work
Medical Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 17, 2016
I had a wonderful internship with Make-A-Wish. I learned so much from the opportunity and working with the Medical Outreach Team and feel that I really benefited from working with the organization.
I enjoyed seeing the smiles on the children's faces when I was granting their wish!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 10, 2016
I got to meet some very nice children and their families. I learned that no matter how bad you think you have it, someone out there has it worse! Management was awesome! My son was my co-worker. The hardest part of the job was having to see all those disabled children. The most enjoyable part was when I took them where ever they wanted to go.
Great Place To Florish
Special Events, Intern (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 3, 2015
As a special events intern, typical day will be fulfiling manager and coordinator requests: administrative, finding corporate sponsorships and assisting in daily events setups and breakdowns.
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TxJune 23, 2014
I drove my route in a timely manner. I also helped clients load donations onto truck.
Created fun and inviting Fundraisers for an awesome cause!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 14, 2014
As a sorority, we coordinated a Philanthropy team to create different fundraisers in order to reach our ultimate goal of raising $5,000 to grant a full wish which we always managed to reach. This includes sending children to Disneyland or other childhood dream vacation spots for those who are terminally ill. This is a very rewarding and touching experience and is also close to me personally being that my cousin was connected with Make-A-Wish when she was ill.
Pros
Granting a Child's wish
Worst job environment EVER!
Development / Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 8, 2014
Let me start off by saying that I love everything that the Make-A-Wish Foundation does for children with life-threatening diseases.

As an intern, I was near invisible when working with the staff. Even on my first day, no one even really acknowledged my presence. This is a relatively small office, of maybe 20 FEMALES, so as an African American female, I KNOW I was seen.

What I expected from this position was to be engulfed in the world of nonprofit, shadow some of the higher ups, and receive critical advice from maybe the CEO. All day, I just filed, called jobs, and sat at a secluded desk in a completely separate building. I consistently expressed my enthusiasm for the Non Profit realm, but no one took me seriously.

It may have just been this office. It's sad to say that if I was offered a permanent position with MAW at this branch, my answer would be an astounding NO!