Make Meaning Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Great environment!
Associate Creativity Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 18, 2016
I loved working at Make Meaning, I truly enjoyed the job. This is a creative, upbeat, family friendly environment. It was my first job, and I'm glad I worked there.
Fun place
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New york nySeptember 10, 2015
It ok i guess beside the guest who are fun to work with but management is bad. cleaning up is always hard but here you will stay 2 hours later
Productive, challenging
Associate creativity Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Upper East SideApril 27, 2015
Make Meaning was always teaching me something new everyday. Co workers were more like family, always looking out for you and others, always there when help was needed. Very challenging, if one mistake occurred during an activity the whole project can get ruined and some guests travel the distance for satisfaction. Favorite part of the job the guests remembering you when they come back after their experience and appreciate the time you spent with them.
Pros
Hands on experience, having knowledge of the activites
Cons
N/A
Fun, energetic, and creative environment
Associate Creative Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2015
It was an energetic, fun, and creative environment to work in. A typical work day included, greeting guest, explaining all the creative experiences available, and making sure guests were having an awesome time.
Cons
overstaffed, low pay
Bad managment
Event Coordinator/Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 22, 2015
Making Money was the only concern for this company. They did not care about the staff or costumers. Management was terrible. Cool concept but the home office was terrible.
Pros
fun staff
Cons
unpaid breaks, long hours
Horrible
Host, Associate Creativity Enthusiasts (Current Employee) –  Dedham, MANovember 30, 2014
I am currently working here and I do not suggest anyone work here. The management is completely insane and do not appreciate you. Constantly throwing their employers under pressure, forced to stay until late hours not asking you - telling you, no breaks. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Fun Work Place
Associate Creativity Enthusiast (ACE) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 16, 2014
Other all Make Meaning is a great experience for children and adults of all ages. I had a great time knowing that i can put a smile on someone day rather it them. Management one word i hate the way the operated EVERY other month there was a new manager that would change the routine.
Pros
having extra hours
Cons
no getting my tips
Eh
Employee (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MASeptember 4, 2014
It was a colorful and fun place to work! Upper management likes to micro manage from far away places.
fun and creative arts facility
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2014
I worked on the weekends coordinating, facilitating and executing a variety of events. The party tea members were absolutely amazing, always working hard to please our clientele and execute the perfect event. A typical day at work consist of about four to five parties with about 20-30 people per event. The staff and I are constantly on the go with clean up and reset for the next party. the hardest part of work is actually staying on target with time when you have so many parties and lots of decorating to do, but we always made it happen. I learned time organization, diligence and an immense amount of patience. The best part of Make Meaning was doing children's parties, to see their faces light up with happiness when they saw their party room full of decorations was just so fulfilling for me.
Fun Environment
Back of House Associate (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAMarch 5, 2014
Make Meaning is a place where you can be creative and use your imagination to create these beautiful pieces of art. I worked in the back where I did the final touch ups on the pieces. Its a fun environment to be around because all the co-workers have a bubbly personality and the customers, well most, were always so kind. The hardest part of the job is when customers would get angry when their pieces didn't come out the way they expected. Although they would get angry we never let them leave that way and allowed them to get "A Make it Right" coupon if they weren't satisfied.

Want to know more about Make Meaning?

Ask a question
Productive and very fun workplace
Junior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2013
Loved it! Fast paced environment with very welcoming people to be around.
Creative and energetic workplace
Associate Creativity Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAJune 21, 2013
Make Meaning nurtures creative expression for kids and adults alike. There are 7 different "experiences" customers may choose between and it was always enjoyable to see how each customer chose to express their individuality with the given tools and projects. I was an A.C.E. which entailed floor sales and catering birthday parties.
Make has gained a lot of popularity in the area, so the typical day was always very busy. Working on the floor is a lot like working as a server in a restaurant. We were each assigned a section of tables and became responsible for the guests seated there. Let's say a mom and daughter come in and are seated at one of my tables. The host would announce over the walkie-talkie "Erica your table was just sat for 2." I would then go over to greet the mother and daughter and find out if they are members. For nonmembers I would explain membership benefits and costs and then regardless of the decision, I would retrieve some personal information (names, phone #, zip code, etc.) for the database. Then I'd lead the pair to the opposite side of the store where they could choose which experience(s) they wanted to do. If they weren't familiar with the store, I'd talk them through the options, detailing the particulars and pricing for each. Assume only the daughter is making something and decides on a ceramic princess to paint with 'take out paint' (which means she can take it home that day). I'd set the table with butcher paper and a small spinning wheel, bring out the paints, a palette, and brushes. I'd then go enter the info and purchases in the computer and by
  more... this time I'd generally have more tables to tend to. When the daughter finished painting I'd retrieve the princess and carefully bring it to the back and place it under the dryer. I'd bring the bill and process the transaction, then bag up the princess and deliver it to the guests. Once they left, I'd clean up the brushes and palette, wipe down the table, and go help my other guests.

After several months on the floor I was put on with the parties team. I was regularly made captain of the group working the party with me. A typical party shift would consist of 3 birthday parties throughout the day, each running an average of an hour and a half. Generally I would have 2-4 A.C.E.s helping me for a party of 10-30 people. The ages of the party guests ranged and generally fell between ages 3 to 13. My team and I would set up an hour before the event began. This means preparing the supplies of the chosen experiences for everyone expected, lining the tables with butcher paper, etc.. As the captain I'd delegate to the other A.C.E.s who would do what and when. Once all guests were in and seated I'd begin the party by welcoming everyone and explaining to them, as I did on the floor, the particulars of each experience. We'd get started and as the kids finished we'd collect their works on a big tray, then bring them to the appropriate station for finishing (ie: if the kids made block candles, they'd be brought to the station where the liquid wax is poured on them as a sealant). Once the mess made by first experience was quickly cleared off the tables, we'd set up the second experience and I'd explain it to the group. After we cleared the tables of the second mess, we'd serve pizza, then sing happy birthday and pass out cake. At this point, if everything ran smoothly, all the kids would get back what they made, all finished and bagged with their name on it, to take home. With all the guests gone, my team and I would then be responsible for putting away the used supplies, mopping the floor and washing the tables, taking out the trash, etc..

Working at Make required a great deal of teamwork and cooperation. The relationships between my coworkers and I quickly strengthened because of this team dynamic. Also, because of the walkie-talkies, the time spent in the stations finishing guest creations, and time taken cleaning up together, there was a great deal of socializing allowed. This was a lot of fun and a perk you don't get at most jobs.
My time at Make gave me a lot of experience in leadership. Teaching me how to delegate responsibilities, speak to and instruct large groups effectively, have patience, and maintain a calm, steady pace in chaotic environments.
I really liked working here a lot, but it proved to be quite draining at the end of the day. Also, the store had a system of commission bonuses for floor sales, but this did not apply to parties, and because I was on parties so often, it made it quite frustrating to hit those goals.
Pros
fun and unique store, friendships built easily between coworkers, tips
Cons
lots of running around, tedious amounts of cleaning, requires constant pep and energy for hours at a time
fun place for any occasion.
Head Cashier/Retail Service's Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2012
MAKE MEANING was a very fun place to work, it showed me how to work on time and how to be polite to others, make showed me what a family would feel like in the work place. make meaning is a basically a work shop were u can make candles, soap,ceramics, jewelry, and i heard u can make cakes now. for me and my boyfriend one year anniversary we went their and painted a treasure chest to put memorable stuff in. a few months later i started to work their. all of my co-workers were young college students mostly art major just willing to have fun. my job was never hard we always had down falls as in just little things that you can do to make your job easier. like cleaning up after yourself listening to the managers and the supervisors. showing them respect even tho they were your age. the most enjoyable part of my job would have to be when you just all the creations that people come in and make. some people come and just make things for their mom or kids and it comes out so wonderful,...... no matter what it is. I loved working at make meaning.
Pros
make out night (hanging with coworkers)
Cons
hardly any breaks