MALL OF AMERICA Employee Reviews

Great Job, Great People
Line Cook/ Prep Cook/ Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 12, 2015
Loved this job. Great manager, cool co-workers. Great customers. Great hours and pay. I love to cook. Only reason I left this position was because I relocated from Minneapolis, MN to Grand Rapids, MI. If I had the opportunity to go back I would. Or if a similar job was in Grand Rapids area.
Pros
Great managers, co-workers, pay, hours, customers, work.
Cons
Interacting with a larger variety of customers.
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Nickeloden UniverseSeptember 11, 2015
It taught me how to interact with every customer from all walks of life from residents to tourists to special guests. I had to remain calm and professional at all times. I had to realize different people respond differently to situations and how to quickly adjust my own attitude and responses.
Pros
Employee discounts, benefits, and learning new things
Cons
Rude customers that refused to be satisfied
Fun kplace to work
Human Resources Director (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 8, 2015
Great place to work. Great co-workers. Engaged and involved leadership that cares deeply about all the team members. Focus on safety, health and wellness.
Pros
Great benefits, great staff
worlds biggest shopping mall with fun amusement rides
Customer Service Reprehensive (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 5, 2015
Provide great customer service to children and adults with fun amusement rides and a positive gaming experience. Worked in a high volume, fast pasted environment teamwork on a daily basis.
Pros
food courts, games, shopping stores
Cons
short breaks
Great experience
Parental Escort Policy Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 21, 2015
Fantastic workplace to earn experience and I always look forward to going to work. Time goes by fast due to rapid work environment.
Pros
Coworkers and experience
Cons
Management has favorites
a positive learning experience
Park Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 17, 2015
A Typical Day at the Mall of America was overall pleasant. I was surrounded by good people who were focused on the task at hand just like me. I would recommend that job to anybody.
Pros
close proximity to where I was living at the time
Cons
lots of children everywhere
Review
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 17, 2015
Typical day at work, you would show up to role call, they assign you your area of mall or if you're not good worker you are put on food court. Dislike management, feel they are very one sided. Co-workers were mostly cool to work with and chat with, hardest part of job was when the mall was busy. Most enjoyable was the atmospjhere.
Pros
Good break length, environment
Cons
bad management, bad pay for work
Nice Place to work
Ride Operator, Nickelodeon Universe (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 10, 2015
I really liked working there very positive enivorment. Lots of kids smiling and having which puts a smile on the employees face
Fun work culture.
Exhibits Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 5, 2015
New experiences every day, if you are a people person then working for the Mall Of America is a generally fun place to be. I have learned how to communicate effectively with my co-workers, management, and the general public. The hardest part of the job was reliable co-workers, the most enjoyable was interacting with the public daily. There is always some new to do and something to learn at Mall Of America!
Very fast and fun paced enviroment
Customer Service/Custodian II (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNMay 24, 2015
Very fun place to work. Had to be a very people oriented person with great communication skills. Everyday was exciting and fun.
Amazing people but a lot of walking
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 7, 2015
No matter what shoes you wear, you will always be sore and in pain while working. The hours don't give you enough time to enjoy the day because you are sleeping the entire day. there's a lot of walking around.
Pros
Exercise, healthcare
Cons
Soreness, not enough rest before shift, short breaks
Enjoy Work
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNApril 2, 2015
Guest information, Great upper management, Co workers ready to work, Amusement park, Vacationers, Excitement, Family, Entertainers. Enjoyed people from all around the world.
Pros
Experience
fun because it is an amusement park
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 12, 2015
I learned to help customers as myself would like to be helped. Great co-workers. hardest part of my job was standing in one little area for long hours. Best part was meeting people from all over the U.S. also different countries
Pros
flexible hours
Productive and fun workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Bloomington M.NNovember 29, 2014
Excellent job to work, co-workers are easy to get alone with. Management is wonderful. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping people..
Pros
the preks
Cons
dealing with shoppers who are out of hand
Fun place to work for high school kid
Mall of America Exhibits Representative (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MinnesotaOctober 11, 2014
This job is fun because you can interact with people from different cultures and backgrounds. I would tour people around the exhibit center. Management is okay, they act nice, but they really are not. The best part of the job is the co-workers because they all are really nice and fun to be around
Pros
free tickets
Cons
short breaks
Friendly, Responsible, and Enthusiatic
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 21, 2014
A typical day of work would be getting there on time and completing all duties. I learned a lot about housekeeping and managing a clean and safe environment for customers. the hardest part of the job was the busiest hours, doing multiple tasks at once. The enjoyable part was having dedicated and co-workers to help, it was a very happy experience to have. Everyone on the job was nice.
Mall of America
Security Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MinnesotaApril 12, 2014
On a typical work day, I patrol the interior of the mall and respond to all types of calls and provide guest with the best assistance. Working at the Mall of America, I have learned to work and understand many different diversities. I enjoy most of my co-workers but regardless we all work well together and always has each others backs. The hardest part about my job is probably the long hours of walking around but the most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of assisting guest and assuring them that the Mall of America is a fun and safe place to spend their day. I enjoy my job and I enjoy what I do.
Pros
great job experience, meeting great people and friends, meeting and building professional connections with law enforcement agencies.
Cons
mandatory overtime during holiday seasons or when the mall is busy, not getting paid enough for what we do.
MOA is a good company, but...
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 26, 2014
I worked in the security department for about 3 years. I'll start off by saying that the Mall as a company compensates their employees fairly well and when many companies were going through layoffs the Mall did not. I was very grateful for that. They have matching retirement, tuition reimbursement, and very good medical benefits.

However, the security department is an absolutely horrible place to work. Their management, a bunch of mid level Army NCO's are trying to relive their military days and it shows in the culture of the department. The hours of the three available shifts all suck and when you do get a weekend it's always subject to mandatory overtime. Sometimes you leave on your Friday relieved that your time off has been spared. Why is overtime mandatory? Because no one likes working there. It's a pit stop for people and it's a negative atmosphere. To top it off, OT doesn't pay because Obama takes most of it anyway. So why would I spend more time in a place that doesn't appreciate me and barely get crumbs to take home?

As I've said before, the management has taken the militaristic attitude over the top in this private security department. Why do I need to learn Israeli military tactics when 99% of my job is tracking down snot nosed brats?

The Mall also fails the security department when it refuses to give them a budget to work with. There are two posted positions both of which are absolutely dreadful to work in. With a simple renovation with the worker in mind these could be less horrendous work environments.

Favoritism and rumor spreading are a disease here. If you
  more... don't tow the company line or agree with everything they say you are immediately and permanenrly black listed and will never be anything more than a grunt.

So there ya go. Most of the folks there are waiting for cop jobs, some are just waiting for something better to come along. If you need a job that pays OK, especially if you're single and don't want this to be a career, go ahead and apply. Just don't stop applying elsewhere when you get hired.

To management: if you read this don't get mad and ignore it. These thoughts are commonly shared in your department and if you want to stop that revolving door that I know you're feeling then address these issues.
Pros
compensation package, low workload
Cons
a lot
Amazing place to work for.
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 18, 2014
Mall Of America included a lot of busy tiring days, but the people you meet and the experience you have working there is well worth it.

At this job I learned even more on what teamwork means, together the mall staff worked very well with one another to help complete tasks and get through a busy day at the mall.

The hardest part of the job would be telling guest that we are out of equipment that they are in dire need of.
Pros
great staff
Cons
no benefits
Great Experience
Buying Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 10, 2014
Typical day at work for me starts out by processing all web orders for the three retail sites that I manage. Then I go to the warehouse and ship out all web orders. I check Google AdWords on a regular basis to see how we are doing with site traffic and getting customers to buy from our sites. I also am responding to emails and calls from customers throughout the day on any customer issues they may have, or the status of their order. If the buyers need me to help them put together PO's, I will do that, and follow up with any vendors on open-ended PO's we have.

4.2