MALL OF AMERICA

MALL OF AMERICA Employee Reviews

Amazing people but a lot of walking
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Bloomington, MNMay 7, 2015
Pros: Exercise, healthcare
Cons: Soreness, not enough rest before shift, short breaks
No matter what shoes you wear, you will always be sore and in pain while working. The hours don't give you enough time to enjoy the day because you are sleeping the entire day. there's a lot of walking around.
Enjoy Work
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNApril 2, 2015
Pros: Experience
Guest information, Great upper management, Co workers ready to work, Amusement park, Vacationers, Excitement, Family, Entertainers. Enjoyed people from all around the world.
fun because it is an amusement park
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
I learned to help customers as myself would like to be helped. Great co-workers. hardest part of my job was standing in one little area for long hours. Best part was meeting people from all over the U.S. also different countries
Productive and fun workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee), Bloomington M.NNovember 29, 2014
Pros: the preks
Cons: dealing with shoppers who are out of hand
Excellent job to work, co-workers are easy to get alone with. Management is wonderful. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping people..
Fun place to work for high school kid
Mall of America Exhibits Representative (Current Employee), Bloomington, MinnesotaOctober 11, 2014
Pros: free tickets
Cons: short breaks
This job is fun because you can interact with people from different cultures and backgrounds. I would tour people around the exhibit center. Management is okay, they act nice, but they really are not. The best part of the job is the co-workers because they all are really nice and fun to be around
Friendly, Responsible, and Enthusiatic
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNAugust 21, 2014
A typical day of work would be getting there on time and completing all duties. I learned a lot about housekeeping and managing a clean and safe environment for customers. the hardest part of the job was the busiest hours, doing multiple tasks at once. The enjoyable part was having dedicated and co-workers to help, it was a very happy experience to have. Everyone on the job was nice.
Mall of America
Security Patrol Officer (Current Employee), Bloomington, MinnesotaApril 12, 2014
Pros: great job experience, meeting great people and friends, meeting and building professional connections with law enforcement agencies.
Cons: mandatory overtime during holiday seasons or when the mall is busy, not getting paid enough for what we do.
On a typical work day, I patrol the interior of the mall and respond to all types of calls and provide guest with the best assistance. Working at the Mall of America, I have learned to work and understand many different diversities. I enjoy most of my co-workers but regardless we all work well together and always has each others backs. The hardest part about my job is probably the long hours of walking around but the most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of assisting guest and assuring them that the Mall of America is a fun and safe place to spend their day. I enjoy my job and I enjoy what I do.
MOA is a good company, but...
Security Officer (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: compensation package, low workload
Cons: a lot
I worked in the security department for about 3 years. I'll start off by saying that the Mall as a company compensates their employees fairly well and when many companies were going through layoffs the Mall did not. I was very grateful for that. They have matching retirement, tuition reimbursement, and very good medical benefits.

However, the security department is an absolutely horrible place to work. Their management, a bunch of mid level Army NCO's are trying to relive their military days and it shows in the culture of the department. The hours of the three available shifts all suck and when you do get a weekend it's always subject to mandatory overtime. Sometimes you leave on your Friday relieved that your time off has been spared. Why is overtime mandatory? Because no one likes working there. It's a pit stop for people and it's a negative atmosphere. To top it off, OT doesn't pay because Obama takes most of it anyway. So why would I spend more time in a place that doesn't appreciate me and barely get crumbs to take home?

As I've said before, the management has taken the militaristic attitude over the top in this private security department. Why do I need to learn Israeli military tactics when 99% of my job is tracking down snot nosed brats?

The Mall also fails the security department when it refuses to give them a budget to work with. There are two posted positions both of which are absolutely dreadful to work in. With a simple renovation with the worker in mind these could be less horrendous work environments.

Favoritism and rumor spreading are a disease here. If you – more... don't tow the company line or agree with everything they say you are immediately and permanenrly black listed and will never be anything more than a grunt.

So there ya go. Most of the folks there are waiting for cop jobs, some are just waiting for something better to come along. If you need a job that pays OK, especially if you're single and don't want this to be a career, go ahead and apply. Just don't stop applying elsewhere when you get hired.

To management: if you read this don't get mad and ignore it. These thoughts are commonly shared in your department and if you want to stop that revolving door that I know you're feeling then address these issues. – less
Amazing place to work for.
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: no benefits
Mall Of America included a lot of busy tiring days, but the people you meet and the experience you have working there is well worth it.

At this job I learned even more on what teamwork means, together the mall staff worked very well with one another to help complete tasks and get through a busy day at the mall.

The hardest part of the job would be telling guest that we are out of equipment that they are in dire need of.
Great Experience
Buying Assistant (Current Employee), Bloomington, MNJanuary 10, 2014
Typical day at work for me starts out by processing all web orders for the three retail sites that I manage. Then I go to the warehouse and ship out all web orders. I check Google AdWords on a regular basis to see how we are doing with site traffic and getting customers to buy from our sites. I also am responding to emails and calls from customers throughout the day on any customer issues they may have, or the status of their order. If the buyers need me to help them put together PO's, I will do that, and follow up with any vendors on open-ended PO's we have.
Very productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNNovember 14, 2013
Pros: my first job
Cons: non
I did all the stocking. I learned to get along with others. Hardest part of the job was changeing the light bulbs. Learned how to work in the back room.
Fun & welcoming environment
Security Officer (Current Employee), Bloomington, MNOctober 13, 2013
Work with a lot of different people. I really enjoy my job & company.
work place
Nickelodeon Universe Guest Services Rep III (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNOctober 3, 2013
Co-workers are the best part when working at Mall of America.
Working as a ride op.
Ride Operator (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNJuly 16, 2013
Pros: discounts
Cons: faults of the rides.
A typical day at the mall as a ride operator is so much fun. Working with other co-workers an interacting with guest. While making sure every seatbelt is checked an lap bar or leg bar an exit gates are checked. Also explaining the rules of the ride is the hardest part because some people dont listen. I learned that safety is very important.
good job
P.E.P. Security Officer (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNJuly 3, 2013
The part time job is not worth your time. The full time security officer position is much better although the pay is less than half of an actual police officer.
a day at MOA
Janitor (Current Employee), Bloomington, MNMarch 14, 2013
Cons: no benefits
It was a typical Friday or Saturday I think when I started to work was when I learned where all the supplies were at in the food court. I was shown where it was first and then I was taken to another part of the mall and had to find them. Soon after I had to take the trash out. At first on the two day its easy but later on in the day I started to hate it. the most thing I loved about this job dealing with the people.
a day at MOA
Janitor (Current Employee), Bloomington, MNMarch 14, 2013
Cons: no benefits
A stressful place to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Bloomington, MNJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: being awarded with macy's money for opening macy's accounts.
Cons: the point system claimed to curb abuse of absenteeism.
A challenging day at work is a typical day.
Customers various request and human behaviour.
Rather disappointing for the most part.
Co-workers are co-operative.
The hardest part of the job is making a decent living.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet customers needs closest or exactly as their requested.
Micro-management and single-mindedness at its best
Security (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNNovember 1, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: micromanagement, forced overtime, "you are not special", no job security, likes to pretend to be military or police
Wonderful benefits in exchange for a horrible work environment. Mandatory overtime and the sense of job insecurity hung over your head constantly.
working in a very exciting place.
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 22, 2012
Pros: two 15 minutes breaks a 30 minute lunch
Cons: took one of the 15 minute breaks away
I worked 3rd shift from 10pm to 7am, so a typical night at work was calm and exciting.I'ved learned how to use a kaivac machine and how important it is to have team work at work.Management was very involved with helping with work when needed.co-workers are real good people when they believe in team work.I guess the hard part of working in a big place like the mall of america is when my kaivac machine was down.Being involved with a exciting place to work.