Mallinckrodt

Mallinckrodt Employer Reviews

Pitiful example of a Pharmacutical Manufacturer
Team Leader (Former Employee), Hobart NYFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: free coffee, and milk
Cons: no family life, overworked poor disposition of emplyees.
Keep within the flock mentality, continuing to give more responsibilities' to the uneducated yes people. If one was to show any ethical, or moral responsibilities a target was then put on you and their own incorrect SOP's would lead you out the door.
Managers goals were to cut cost's and even if that meant poor quality the profit margin was the goal.
Growing company
Director of Global Transportation (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 21, 2014
A company in the beginning of defining it's own direction as a corporation.
Amazement
Packaging operator (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 27, 2013
Pros: paycheck
Cons: supervisor, production lead, components to run a line
I worked 3rd shift. The shift premium is pitiful. My training sucked. I got hired on when they started up 3rd shift. I had two different trainers who just wanted to hurry up and ding me off so they could go back to 1st shift. The company finally got rid of the people that didn't care and was just there for a check. I take responsibility for getting – more... terminated. Company actually did follow the hand book. But I will say this, when you work for a company where most employees wont start a pot of coffee after taking the last of the coffee and placing the pot back on the burner without any liquid in it. Something is wrong. I would come in and the pot would be burnt inside the pot. FOR GODS sake they make medicine that gets shot into your veins. If the people that work there can't make coffee? Also can't keep uniforms supplied. – less
Sales Account Manager (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 9, 2013
Loved the company and loved the people there. Very supportive and would recommend working at Mallinckrodt
Chemical Technician
Pharmaceutical Chemical Technician (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 4, 2013
This job included manual labor that was not suitable for me. If you like an untraditional work environment then you will love this place.
A fast moving company with great people.
Quality Engineer (Current Employee), Maryland Heights, MOJuly 15, 2013
Pros: i work with great people.
Cons: more work than employees.
A typical work day at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals would include reviewing Exceptions and Out of Specification investigations. Reviewing Effectiveness Checks associated with CAPA's. Creating Stability Protocols. Attending multiple meetings throughout the day.

I learn a lot from reviewing Exceptions and Out of Specifications. It allows for me to learn – more... the different process we have throughout the company.

The hardest part of the job is mainitaining the multiple tasks with out having enough people. The people I work with are great. – less
A good place to work
Lead Chemical Operator (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 28, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits, rotating 12 hr shifts
Cons: 12 hr rotating shifts, noise, dirt
Operators need to be self motivating. Safety is the priority but quality and performance are important too. Most difficult is staying with the status and flow of the plant and how it effects your process and those behind you. On the wet end the worst part of the job is dirt. On the dry end it is dust.
The Hobart plant is a career setback
Professional (Current Employee), Hobart, NYMay 26, 2013
Pros: pays well by local standards, stepping-stone to other pharmaceutical jobs
Cons: turnover, brain drain, management out-of-touch with quality priorities
The Hobart plant has a very bad turnover and brain drain problem among its office staff. The rural, economically stagnant area just can't provide or attract the kind of people needed to run a pharmaceutical plant effectively. A lot of vacancies get filled internally by unqualified people; some people with no engineering background are "engineers" for – more... instance. The plant is decades behind in terms of science, quality systems, and computerization (arcane paper-based systems are heavily relied on). Some recent transitions to computer-based systems are actually making things worse, due to the general inability to implement or use software effectively.

"Training" consists almost entirely of reading of poorly-written SOPs. Management is unwilling to spend money on external training. Major projects languish on for years due to a lack of technical knowledge and general common sense. A culture of bureaucracy and group-think makes progress slow when it isn't backwards. Official quality improvement efforts amount to six-sigma/kaizen cargo cults. Some of these problems are endemic in pharmaceutical manufacturing, but it seems they are especially bad in Hobart.

Most plant employees work on the production floor for hourly wages. I can't comment on these jobs first-hand, but my impression is that these employees are seen as replaceable by the company and treated accordingly. Mandatory overtime during busy times and people being sent home without pay during slow times are both known to happen.

The plant is currently part of Covidien's pharmaceutical sector, which about to be spun off as Mallinckrodt and headquartered in St. Louis. The sector personnel from St. Louis assigned to work with Hobart are generally out of touch with the priorities and quality problems of the plant, and improvement cannot be expected to come from that direction.

If you have any kind of a science, pharmaceutical, or engineering career ahead of you, this plant is a dead end. I'd strongly advise against moving for a job there. The "relocation package" they offer is basically trap. Many leave when their contractual two years is up. – less
Positive experience
Logistics Clerk / Logistics Planner (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 3, 2013
Pros: healthcare benefits, education opportunities
Cons: career cut short
I thoroughly enjoyed my employment with Mallinckrodt. Although I had certain duties due every day, my schedule was flexible enough to address issues that came up daily. I had the opportunity to learn a great number of computer programs, including, but not limited to Kronos, JDE, BPCS, Microsoft office, Enablon, Compliance wire and various quality tracking – more... and safety programs. I interacted with all departments in some form. The most difficult portion of my job was the annual self review as I did not like to "blow my own horn" on accompishments. The most enjoyable part of my job was Inventory control, through cycle counts, physical inventories and inventory adjustments. – less
Good Group of People to work with
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee), Hazelwood, MOMarch 20, 2013
Pros: flexibility of the group and interesting people and tasks.
Cons: reduction in work force.
Enjoyed the interaction and constantly changing requirements of the job. Learned to flow with the changing tide of new processes and management while maintaining focus on the job at hand. My co-workers were wonderful and made going to work each day a joy. The hardest part of the job was leaving - and the most enjoyable was the 19+ years I spent with – more... my "work family". – less
Very good family oriented place to work
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), St. Louis, MODecember 26, 2012
Pros: they took care of there employees.
Cons: company was sold.
I enjoyed working for Mallinckrodt because they utilized your knowledge and skills with generous compensation.
Lots of hardwork.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 17, 2012
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Hardwork no fun, learned a lot. The hardest was trying to understand what my D. M. wanted from me.
main line assembly
Product Builder (Former Employee), galwayOctober 2, 2013
Pros: my first factory job
Cons: none really
i work on the main line assembly for a vital medical device i also worked on other lines during my three years i was able to buy my first car and drive myself and my sister to work i also made a life long friend

About Mallinckrodt

In July 2013, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals became an independent, publicly traded, $2.1 billion company. We’re now driven – Read more