Management & Training Corporation Employee Reviews

Made some good friends place was a mess though treatments hadn't been done in months, poor ignorant management
LPN (Former Employee) –  Marion, ohioFebruary 11, 2015
I worked there and worked my butt off had a good job and got my job up to where it needed to be one day as I'm doing pill call a CO comes to the window screaming at me in front of a packed room of inmates stating I said lies that weren't true because another nurse said I did when I confronted both of them it was a quote misunderstanding I went to the major and Warden and explained how upset and unprofessional that was and the very next day my boss Dixon DON allowed me to work all day long then at the end of the day took me to HR And said treatments weren't being done n they were letting me go when it was pure retaliation because at my new job they put I was a great worker AND eligible for rehire and that I resigned when I was fired! How can u be a great worker and get fired? Make a long story short I've Notified the EEOC into this matter also it's a private prison no state pay or benefits nobody will back U up just allow u to be bullied and harrassed! Sadly the inmates were nicer than management! In 3 years the place went thru 7 health care administrators if that doesn't speak volumes idk what does! Horrible place to work would be great if new management was there I loved my job but management was snakes!
Pros
some staff were nice, good doctors, inmates nicer than most staff
Cons
management treat doctors like trash, management liars, use u for their own pleasure, allow u to be bullied and harassed, treat u like a slave and trash talk everybody behind their back, too many chiefs, talk about employees being lazy and worthless no professionalism, don't defemd their employees, no shift differential, pay scale sucks
Not for anyone who may be outspoken
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Quincy, FlAugust 16, 2015
This company is based out of Utah and clearly has no idea of how Florida deals with their inmate population. Its like they just came to legislation, gave them a bunch of false promises as to how they can do it cheaper than the STATE System for the Department of Corrections. The turn over rate of Officers is very high and the morale is steadily declining. Promotions are given based on who you know, or if you are just a "YES MAN/WOMAN" that can be easily manipulated if you didn't know any better. Some days are easy sailing, while others can get out of hand and things get handled in the most unprofessional way. They offer a great deal of programs for the inmates, but can't even give a decent raise to staff, or even motivate/compliment staff. Its Lts against Sgts....Sgts against Sgts....Sgts against CO'S....Unit Mangers against Case Managers...etc etc. Some are just soooo gullible and will listen to whatever an INMATE has to say (more than likely a lie) and will hold grudges against whomever. This is truly a place that needs to be reconstructed from Head to Toe! You pretty much are guaranteed 32 hours of OT every pay period for various reasons: 1. Staff shortage 2. To get them before they get you 3. Some supervisor playing dirty games, Etc etc. They are bound for lawsuit after lawsuit in my honest opinion. If you do decide to come to MTC-Gadsden Correctional Facility, politely stand your ground, and keep documentation of everything! Its not about what you do, it's how you do it, and handle business accordingly!
Pros
Overtime (if you like an easy paycheck)
Cons
No structure, management can't manage, inmates are just out of hand.
Do not go to work here!!!
Correctional officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasFebruary 16, 2015
This place is a mess. They will sell it as a great place to work, but it's not. They're so short handed that the HR won't fire anyone. They get fined by the state for every open officer vacancy they have. The turn over is crazy. People quit in training it's so bad. 14 people start in training and 5-6 stay, the rest quit. This is the place that people come to work at because even a cheap security company won't hire them. People get written up for the same stuff day after day and nothing happens. It's a TDCJ contract prison. The employees are just as bad as the inmates. There's one good supervisor here but ain't nothing going to happen to anyone. People call in saying they aren't coming to work or don't call in at all for days and nothing happens. They don't show up and it's okay to do that I guess. You can go to work at the real prison and make more money than this place.
Most of the employees are thugs and some even know the inmates from the neighborhood. They can't keep anyone here and the training is a joke. Basically you read the books on your own while the teacher talks to her friends all day. Why do you think they are constantly hiring supervisors from the outside? Because nobody there is capable of doing the job as a supervisor. Some of the stuff that goes on here is literally criminal. The stuff these people do would get you arrested in a real state prison...here, they just quietly suspend you and let you come back to work.
Pros
tons of overtime if you want it.
Cons
everything! poor employees, poor admin staff, thugs working here.
Worst job i've ever had
C/O (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZJanuary 11, 2013
This is the most unprofessional environment you will ever come across. It truly is a good old boys network. If you are an uneducated hillbilly, and have family ties and an IQ under 50 you will succeed here. You will have more problems with staff than you will with inmates. Inmates run the show. If you show the slightest bit of intelligence, and human decency you will stand out, and not in a good way. People are put in authoritative positions when they have NO BUSINESS being there, and in turn they abuse their power and treat staff as if they were inmates. If you speak up you will be chastised and targeted. Underpaid and overworked. The job itself is easy, it's the nonsense that comes along with it that makes it difficult. Mandatory overtime. YOU WILL be held against your will if they do not have enough bodies to cover their shifts. The best part of my day was punching out and leaving at the end of the day. If you have a soul I would not recommend this job.
Pros
lol what pros
Cons
hahahahaha too many to list.
Slave Labor camp....no money for infrastructure maintenance and micromanagement!
IT (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 30, 2012
I was excited to go to work for a company I thought had values and morals. Was I wrong. This organization is the most penny-pinching outfit I have ever worked for! Aging IT infrastructure, "duct tape and band-aid" maintenance attitude and the horrible treatment of correctional officers; forced overtime, favored overtime, fraternization. Management turns a blind eye. As long as it doesn't cost money or shine light on their weaknesses, it's all fair game. The inmates at times get treated better than the staff. No room for advancement, annual increases equal to cost of living, no performance awards nor incentive for better performance. Over 50% turnover at one AZ facility. It's a micromanagement post-graduate school! Pay scale is 30-40% below average.
Pros
free lunch- same food as inmates.
Cons
too many to list, poor management, nepitism, corporate hasn't a clue what the satellite sites are doing or what's really going on.

Comment – October 2, 2012

I worked for there contract in Reno and have never been treated like I was there. It was crazy. I know what you mean.

Excellent company with wonderful benefit
Warden (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove MississippiJuly 29, 2014
MTC is an excellent company with wonderful benefits. My position was Warden in a correctional facility that involved managing the entire operation, This environment dose not have a typical day "no" day is the same. I learned to adjust to this changing environment and to be ready for changes as they occurred. The management team demonstrate superior executive ability under a variety of circumstances, which obtain the full support of every department. I developed a positive working relationship with my co-workers which build on mutual dependence and understanding. The most difficult part of the job was devote appropriate time and effort to the development of staff professional competence. The most enjoyable part of the job help staff achieve optimal levels of personal performance and accomplishment.
Pros
wonderful benefits
Cons
managing very difficult people
Slave labor. Bullying by upper management
correctional officer (Former Employee) –  kingman AZSeptember 18, 2014
Huge turnover due to bad management, over work, bullying by power hungry and lack of knowledgeable management. Too many demands placed on staff, lack of training and maturity of officers places everyone in danger. Inmates are treated better than officers. Poorest line staff moral ever known to mankind. They get reprimanded and placed under the microscope for all that they do wrong or right. Damned if you do damned if you don't, never enough never good enough. Held hostage for over time, the company does not care if you have responsibility of family or not. For example you have kids to be picked up after school not their issue, you have a choice, a write up for refusing overtime. Or the safety of your kid waiting for you in the street for 4 hrs to be picked up. Once you sign up to work there they own you and your life.
Pros
inmate food is free. one meal a day.
Cons
too many to list
Horrible place to work. Management needs to be fired asap.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Gadsden . MTC...QUINCY FLORIDAAugust 9, 2015
Thus place is managed by a group if people that have no clue what is going on in their own camp. You can't be promoted unless you sleeping with the chief of security or related to him. He has single handedly destroyed a good place to work and the warden is clueless. Turn over rate is extremely high and those that are left to work are working 32 hours overtime per week on top of the regular 40 hour work week. They do not care about the staff but only care about the money being made from housing the inmates. They don't care about rehabilitating the inmates...only keeping them inside the fence.only thing the correctional officers need to do is show up.. That is it...just leave the inmates alone. Trust me the place is run amuck.... No structure...no accountability... Just nincompoops running the place.
Pros
Good money to be made
Cons
Dangerous job...no management and long work hours
hahaha the correctional side is a JOKE
sergeant of corrections (Former Employee) –  venus txFebruary 5, 2013
i worked at the correctional facility 5 1/2 years, and lets just say some people put in authoritative roles should have never been, people think they can do anything there and get away with it. The higher up's are racist and demand respect even though they give none. my experience was not a good one, and that place sucks you into its grips and its so hard to get out of there. They will go completely out of their way to get you to leave or get fired if you are not part of their circle and like many have said it is the good ol boy system. and they will also demand that you "FIX" paperwork that has been messed up for over a year... The HR manager is a joke and she has gone through multiple assistants since 09 when MTC took over. I will never go back to that place nor would i recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
none!!!!!!
Cons
too much stress, getting treated like dirt, no respect, and little pay
Physical abuse is a must in order to advance
Cadet (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZFebruary 5, 2015
Just to move on from the training stage you must go through cadet training which involves self defense. Now self defense training on its own is not a bad thing to be physically downed is inhumanr and counter productive. On day two of five I was hospitalized with a cervical sprain when I reported for day three to turn in my resignation I was told it's only a few days and after that it's few and far between I would encounter that kind of abuse again not to mention to MTC a cervical sprain "is no big deal". Forced overtime is a huge deal because of the turn over rate. Low pay for the pressures put upon employees. Self defense week is above military standards stay away if you don't want your head bounced off a mat for eight hours a day
Pros
free meals, good enough people
Cons
physical abuse just to pass cadet training
dream job ...but it was cut short
RESDENT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  CLEARFIELD utahJanuary 31, 2013
I loved working there but there' was one manager that went outta his way to make it a hosstle place for me he made his mission to give me a hard time wile i was there. He was a bitter little hobbit ...... but I loved working with the student's the most and. Most of the staff but you had your share of snakes my mane foucus was the student's I loved it but I gave four year's of my and I was a former student my self it is a good program you just gotta have have staff who are there for the right reasons and I would have fought for my job back but I wouldn't have won anyways because I wasent part of the union ... But I did enjoy my time there but it was sad the way it all ended... But other then that its a great place to work
Pros
awesome place to work i wish i could go back
Cons
the evil balding hobbit that lurks in b dorm
Morally bankrupt, rudderless, and will drive you mad
Mangement, corporate office (Former Employee) –  Centerville, UTMarch 6, 2013
MTC has managed to combine incredibly poor senior leadership and tight-fisted corporate bureaucratic micromanagement into a rage-inducing swirling storm of terrible work experience. The senior leaders in corrections don't empower their people, the good people in HR feel helpless and neutered by the sr HR executive, who fires HR people as casually as going out to eat. The team operates in fear, paralyzed and ineffective. The company is stingy with pay and benefits, instead ensuring owners can buy yet another condo or vacation property.

If you're considering this place, think long and hard before you accept. It beats unemployment and poverty, but just barely.
Cons
lots
A Big Joke
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 22, 2014
This campus is a Big Joke...Management is Trash...HR Mgr. is the biggest joke of all. and the Head Honcho is the worst. How do you say you have no money and the Head Honcho is driving around in a Brand new Chevy and then not taking in any new kids and laying folks off. If you call corporate they announce they are coming I bet if they did surprise visits it would be a different story. Managers selling GSA cars for personal profit and no one goes to jail really. Where do they do that (Gary Job Corp) The list goes on and on. If the gov't knew what was going on with the money they would be shut down for sure. It's a Great programs for Young adults but they need caring people to work there to make it successful.
Pros
able to help some students
Cons
management and hr
I have never been treated so harshly
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEApril 3, 2015
my first week there they did not even have the computer I needed to do the job. I got reprimanded for that. There was no training at all. The site director was doing things against department of labor regulations, but they LF everyone not to tell corporate. We were constantly reprimanded for kids having flaws, yet the culture was one that allowed cursing, fighting and no training. The last straw was when a corporate rep (who did not even know my name) preceded to berate me for not asking questions when that was all I did. Then the site director and rep proceeded to scream at me and the accuse me of yelling. They didn't want me and made it very obvious. RUN from this position
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
everything else
Management no better than the inmates they house!
Accounting clerk. Payroll. (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZMarch 14, 2015
Advertise for accounting jobs but it's really for a inmate store/commissary cashier. They misrepresent the positions that they offer in order to fill the spots. They are always understaffed and have a difficult time keeping anyone there for ant length of time. The turnover rate is enormous.
Unprofessional management skills. Employees fight with each other over fear of loosing their jobs and there is no teamwork.
There is no communication between the employees and when something goes down on the yard most employees are kept in the dark with no information. Misrepresentation seems to be status quo for this company.
Cons
everyone inside the fence.
Only interested in the bottom line on how much money can be brought in
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Morganfield KyJuly 29, 2013
Not a whole lot of positive to say. When you are hired they make it sound like such a wonderful place to work. Then when you go to them to report a student sexually harassing you, you lose your job. The staff in the dorms are very negative and I can see why they would be. Working mandatory 12 hour shifts, no time for family. I could go on and on. I was so excited when I was hired thinking I could make a difference for these students. Boy was I naive.
Pros
hour lunch, upper management always positive
Cons
negativity of the staff in dorms, mandatory 12 hour shifts you aren't told about when hired. working everweekends
this place is a joke
correctional officer (Former Employee) –  venus texas Sanders Estes UnitJanuary 29, 2015
They hire kids, old decrepit folks, Nigerians that can't stay awake....
It is a dangerous situation and somebody is going to get hurt.
They give you a schedule yet mandate you on your day off. If You don't show up on your day off they write you up.
They don't pay enough for the load they put on you.
It's a great place if you have no life.
Lts. And sgts. Are ridiculous.
The deputy warden lets inmates run free thru the halls.
The major is arrogant and rude.
This place needs to be given to a company that can run it like a prison and not a day camp.
Pros
all the hours you want
Cons
little pay, unsafe environment and too many mandated days and too many threats of write ups.
Ok company to work for
Residential Advisor & Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTSeptember 17, 2013
Overall review is that it is an ok company to work for. Not much room for internal advancement within the organization and recent changes in management have impacted overall employee morale. Not much recognition for work done. More attention is given to the students and not enough to staff. Low work morale. Benefits are ok and the rate of pay is a bit on the low end for what other companies pay for those same positions.
Pros
casual work environment, company parties twice a year
Cons
low work morale, ok benefits, no room for internal advancement
If you like to be treated like a inmate, great place to work.
Senior Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 18, 2014
This place is something else. Not all but most of the sgt's and Lt's have almost no idea what they are doing and fail to disuplin the offenders. Since I've been there about 80 officers have come and gone in less than two years. They pay more attention to officers than they do inmates. We are forced to work over time. Have doubles back to back. They make new policies every week. No set rules. They hire young and dumb kids and makes it hard for veteran officers to do their jobs. They pay $10.50 for a c/o.
Pros
overtime
Cons
everything else
Good workplace
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Taft, CASeptember 28, 2012
A day as an c/o is pretty simple cell searches bed moves for the inmates. Then acountablity for all the Inmates.
I learn how to work with all types of people with differant attituds. Respect there religien, commuication skills how to talk to them and how to defuse hostile situations. I had good co-works we watched out for each other. The hardest part of my job was getting up early in the morning and coming to work it was a 40min drive. Most enjoyable part was going home.
Pros
good people
Cons
politices dealing changes

2.5