Management Science Associates Employee Reviews

SQL/BI Developer/SSIS/SSRS/SSAS (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 7, 2017
Management Science Associates is a healthcare based company provides various services for their clients by establishing the automated business processes for processing various kinds of billing files from Facets, Claims, and Retro etc.
Incompetent management and lack of vision
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2016
There is zero opportunity for advancement in this company and pay raises are non existent. Management is more concerned with raffles and fundraising rather than getting new business, The same products are regurgitated on different platforms, managers tell the employees how great the projects are doing but they are hopelessly behind. A lot of turnover due to wage freezes and pitiful bonuses.
Pros
Relaxed dress and cafeteria
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, no promotions, no pay increases
Great opportunities for grads, you where many different hats and are exposed to many cross functional areas
Senior Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 31, 2016
The company is disorganized due to top leadership. It was a great place at one time but can no longer compete with salaries and benefits. They expect more from employees than they are willing to give back.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, very casual dress code
Cons
lack of direction and constant change in focus areas
Nice people
Application Support (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 26, 2016
The people are nice but there are issues. First, the company doesn't own the building so only the people who have worked for MSA get to park in the on-site parking lot, the rest either commute or park in a lot a mile away and have to take the shuttle which runs back and forth every 20 minutes. The shuttle constantly breaks down.
Medical and 401K benefits aren't bad but other than that there really are no benefits. You get 20% off to go to school from Chatham but the company itself doesn't offer any tuition assistance and the power goes out every once in a while. Also, they don't provide free coffee to employees.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Benefits, building/parking situation, poor bonuses (if you're lucky enough to get one)
Interesting place
Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 22, 2016
I had this job for my internship for college. It was fun, and I got a decent amount of experience. My only complaint was it didn't feel like I got to do much, because of strict security guidelines.
Pros
Had a cafeteria
Cons
Had to park offsite
It keeps you from starving
Data Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 15, 2016
They offer you a minimal amount of money in exchange for services, I guess. A very minimal amount. That's it. The pay is bad and they are extremely cheap with every single thing. Thank you.
Great Work Place, Low Pay
Support Technician II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 17, 2015
The environment and people you work with are great. Very laid back and easy going. Great opportunity to advance. Downfall is the pay is way below what it should be. Average Desktop Support Technician 2 and above should make no less then $35,000 to $40,000 a year (before overtime). For a Desktop Support Technician at MSA to make $30,000 one has to work 50hrs/ week. Thats 20hrs of overtime a pay 40hrs every a month just to make the base salary.
Pros
Laid back, great environment and people, great advancement
Cons
Very low pay, high work load
MSA is a company where "the sky is the limit."
Internal Public Relations/ Copywriter (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 14, 2015
MSA is a data analytics company with an independent working environment. This type of environment allows its employees to generate creative ideas for projects that will satisfy both MSA and its clients. I am learning how to set realistic goals for my professional growth while making significant contributions to MSA's growth. I specialize in communication, public relations, marketing, branding and writing for multiple media platforms. I view MSA as my client and work on building a strong, internal community.
Laid back but serious
Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 26, 2015
Able to wait jeans and tee shirts as long as they are not offensive, help employees with any technical issues that arise within the company. Internal help desk is fun, but we know when to take things serious
Pros
able to ware jeans, take breaks when not busy
Cons
not a lot of responsibility for interns, not a lot of work for the interns to shadow the other technicians on
Ok place to work
Application Analyst I Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 16, 2014
Ok place to work. I was an intern. Not very exciting, didnt learn too much. A lot of busy work.
Not the best company to work for
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 29, 2014
They do not provide adequate training and the health insurance is the worst that I have ever seen. There is not company culture and no sick days. Had to work in a basement and park one mile away from the company and take a shuttle van, sort of annoying. The people that work there are sort of weird and dorky.
I would not suggest working here
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 28, 2014
MSA has a upper management structure that has been in place for decades. Many of these indivduals have never worked in technology and do little more than forward e-mails. The Human Resources department is run by one of the owners sons and quality employees will be told things like "you did not get this position because it requires a masters degree in Computer Science" then months later that same position could be filled with someone who didn't go to college. The only benefit is the relaxed dress code which pretty much allows any individual to dress like a vagrant.
Pros
Dress code
Cons
Too many to name
Good starter job in IT field
Computer Operator (Current Employee) –  Tarentum, PaMarch 20, 2014
This job is a good job for getting your foot in the door for the IT field. Yes it does require knowledge of the field, but it's not the kind of job that's going to require a Bachelors or Masters degree. It is a very detail oriented but relaxed atmosphere. All of the co-workers are pleasant to be around and are helpful and informative when asked questions.
Friendly enviroment / lacking structure
Computer Operator / Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 25, 2014
Not the greatest managment
Too many things get swept under the rug
brown nosing or family is the only solid way to advance
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
managment
productive and fun working space
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 30, 2014
data analytic work
Gaming projects
Co works were cooperative
managers are approachable
Decent place to work
Senior Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 22, 2014
work hours vary by department and position
management tends to play favorites
tend to be demanding on overtime
Good Location, Nice Managers, Analytical position.
Sr. Client Support (Former Employee) –  East Liberty areaDecember 26, 2013
Loved the workers, managers, and company, but found the job to be not enough of a challenge. Very analytical work. Not what I was looking for, and the hours were mid-day to early evening with no hope of ever changing.
Pros
Coworkers great, Compensation great. Wonderful management
Cons
Bad hours, slow and analytical
Management Science Associates Overall Rating
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 20, 2013
A typical day at work starts with signing in to the computer and the phone. Contact by phone from the distributors and contact of the distributers occurred.

I learned about the distributors and their needs.

I was very pleased with the management.

I had a great relationship with my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was the scope of the computer applications.

The enjoyable part of the job was the meetings and the opportunity to advance.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Rotating schedule
Poor management and employees are not important.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2013
There is poor management. They manage by fear of what will happen next. I heard hearsay that my manager’s boss would have yelling episodes which I think made my manager “afraid” of her. My manager would then act in a way which would make my supervisor “afraid” of him. This appeared to happen in other departments, not so much the fear, but poor management that would make it harder for employees to do their job. There was no really good review of upper management. It appeared that anyone that had been there long enough and was in the right spot at the right time could get the job.

They got an outside firm to determine employee satisfaction. This is something that was totally unnecessary. The things determined from the survey could have been recognized in-house if they had good management. I don’t think that anyone who has any brains would have put anything negative on the survey. I think that there are a lot of unhappy people there ready to leave at the drop of a hat. There was even something about doing a study of employee performance to see who could park in their main parking lot. Seems like somebody had too much time.

They say that the employees are their number one asset. They don’t offer any tuition reimbursement. They offer in-house training, but mostly it is stuff that you could learn on your own. They do offer career changes, but it appears mostly that people changed jobs to get away from their old jobs. How well you did there did not depend how good you did your job. It depended on how nice you were to the right people. It seemed like you only
  more... had a voice if your opinions/suggestions agreed with upper management. If your job workload was changed, they would dump into just any position. I have heard of people being dumped into “lesser” jobs after taking a leave of absence. When I was laid-off, I was told that I could check for other positions in the company, but nothing was done to help me. I had been there close to 20 years and it seemed like they would make up any reason to get rid of me and other people who had been there a long time to save money in some way. And it is not like the pay was great or there weren’t other positions that we could have been placed into.  less
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Poor management
laid back
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 27, 2013
not a bad job. Can be boring at times. Pay wasn't that great
learned basic computer skills
most enjoyable was flex schedule