Management Sciences for Health Employee Reviews

Hostile Work Environment
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAJune 9, 2017
While reviewing Glass Door, you will see that the EAs are unprofessional and behave like school children. They create hostile work environments, and it is allowed.
Pros
Nice office surroundings
Cons
Hostile Work Environment / Unprofessional
The MSH Leadership Team is missing the people skills.
Senior Portfolio Finance Manager/ FP&A (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAJanuary 25, 2017
The best part of my work was the interaction with the project team and the team in the field. We all care about saving life worldwide no matter what.
However, the Leadership Team loss the people skills. Unfortunately, they are re-organizing every year without thinking of any consequence to any Unit and/or the staff in the field.
Pros
Free parking & 401K contribution
Cons
Location, very difficult to get to the office
Great Experience
BASICS PROJECT, Program Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 2, 2016
Working with MSH was a great experience. it was crucial for ma formative years in project management. I had a lot of support from my supervisor, though the project had two other company partners.
Pros
learning a lot every day
Cons
project too short
Great mission-driven company but needs to build a better management team.
Deputy Director of Finance (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 11, 2016
There are many great projects but lack of leadership and support. As result, they are poorly managed. Since most people are placed in the project level and working on a project basis, there is no long-term career growth plan for each individual. The company needs to be more updated on pay scale with commercial businesses to attract more talents to serve the world better.
great atmosphere, terrible pay
Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 3, 2015
nice people to work with, great work relationships were forged. the pay was terrible, definitely not to support someone who lives in the DC/MD/VA metropolitan area.
Pros
nice people
Cons
it's nonprofit in the worst way
Brilliant colleagues interesting work, not good for junior staff or anyone looking to move up.
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2014
This is a great work environment for those just out of Graduate School or senior level employees. The staff are extremely knowledgeable in their fields and are very passionate about their work. There is a high is a high turn over rate due to constant changes in opinion from upper-level management. Much of the good work field staff and regular project staff does goes unnoticed or unrewarded by those at the top.
smart colleagues who work well in teams
Member of USAID (Former Employee) –  Boston, maJune 1, 2014
a stimulating environment with people dedicated to making a difference in international development
An international NGO with mission of strengthening national health systems for greater heath impact
Human Resources Specialist in charge (Current Employee) –  MbaleMay 7, 2014
A typical work day seess the greatest buzz of activity early inthe mrning and late in the evening as staff prepare to set off to the field and when they return frm the field at the end of the day. As support stff, ours is to ensure that th e program teams are well equiipped for the field and so we must have received their prorams and lists of requireents well in advance. Th team is a mature one where every one respects one anther and people from the Chief of Party right down to the Gardeneer refer to each other as colleagues and are on first name basis. Mangement is very supportive.

My most enjoyable part of work is usually the morning hours when ensuring that all teams have what they need and are happy with the support we offer. The hardest time is when I have to handle disciplinary hearings or resolve conflicts since almost every one considers me their friend
Innovative workplace, high quality employees, genuine commitment to mission of health for all
Principal Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 28, 2014
Founded by a man with a genuine concern for the health of the poorest in the world, the tradition continues today - 40 years later. Organization continually seeks to improve itself. I consider it an honor to work there.
A crash course in politics
Policy and Advocacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 3, 2014
Every day I would check emails, follow-up with supervisors, and be assigned new tasks for the day. I had the opportunity to experience how large organizations, with many people and many "moving parts" function. I was responsible for keeping up with three supervisors and the tasks they needed assistance with. My coworkers were fun and the environment was largely enjoyable and supportive.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working in a gorgeous facility with people who were truly passionate about their work. I would feel very fortunate if every group I had the pleasure of working with had the passion and dedication to their work that the team at MSH Arlington has for theirs.I also had the opportunity to meet many prominent people in my field and one day I even visited every single congressional office on Capitol Hill!

The hardest part of my job was that the main project I had been originally expected to do during my internship was cancelled due to the government shut down and since no one could have planned for that to happen my experience and tasks were probably more disorganized than they would have been had the project not been cancelled. I wasn't prepared that so much of the work of the department I was in was dependent on politics and I learned that was not the area for me. I chose to take on unpaid work but found I had to keep two paid jobs in order to balance the cost of an entirely unpaid internship. I feel this policy of not paying interns (especially when they give preference to full-time interns) is exclusionary to otherwise qualified candidates who cannot
  more... afford to work for free.  less
Pros
free coffee/tea all day, beautiful facilities, easily walkable area, metro accessible, passionate coworkers
Cons
unpaid work, a lot of ups and downs in short periods of time
Excellent place for building in a career in public health
Business and Resource Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Cambirdge, MASeptember 30, 2013
MSH is an excellent place to build a career in public health. If your interested in health management systems or developing countries, they offer a great working environment with an effective approach to building a better world. As an intern, they allowed me to work on projects which allowed me to gain 'real' experience in the workplace.
Pros
multi-cultural, attentive management, free coffee.
Cons
unpaid internship.
Not for the fient hearted
Director, Systems Analysis and Software Products (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 11, 2012
MSH is what you make it to be. Its large, growing and has all the trappings of working in counties across the world.

Best for experienced/highly skilled candidates looking to move into mid/Sr positions.
Productive and satisfying place to work allowing for learning and progression
Regional Coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Plot 15 Princes Ann Drive, Bugolobi KampalaAugust 2, 2012
Atypical working day bigins at 7:30 am to 5:30 Monday to Thursday and the 8:00 to 1:00 on Friday making 40 hours a week.I learnt how to monitor work of the people supervised by me by use of time sheets. I also learnt use of 360 degree appraisal and setting of KRA that will be used as abasis for performance appraisal.

In terms of Management, there is willingness to share work with staff by delegating it to get the job done. Banking on the competency of the team to get the job done on time and to have it done correctly. There is also consultative management style, involving getting lots of feedback from staff before coming to a conclusion and making a decision.

I had good relationship with my co-workers. I had close association with my peers (middle managers) and often shared expirences and consulted each other. I also had good work relation ship with my immediate supervisor and often met one on one to discuss progress. The Chief of party was however fairly not easy to get used to because he was often autocratic and wanted things done his way. I also got on well with the workers that i was responsible for.i was flexible most times but also firm if i needed to be..

The hardest part of the job was when i had to face the partners on issues that we had failed to fulfill and had to be planned for more once and yet we were expected to be strengthening health systems in the districts.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when we achived or exceeded our set targets and were being appreciated by the districts for a job well done, for example if we realised increased suppervised deliveries
  more... at health facility following interventions such as provision of equipment and supplies such as mama kits  less