Manatee Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Poor Working Environment
Unit Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLDecember 3, 2015
Worked here as a Unit Assistant. I was trained as a secretary, but did not get any training as a nurse tech. Every time I was suppose to train they pulled me to work as a secretary. So I was never trained when it came to patient care. Everything I did was wrong, but I was doing the same things every other tech was doing. Also I asked for some training and my manager said I had plenty of training. Which was not true. No one tough me how to chart in the system. So I kept getting in trouble for not charting everything. Finally my boss sat me down and went the the system. That was good, but then I would sit down to try and go through the system myself I got yelled at because I wasn't allowed to sit at the nurses station (which is the only place there were computers. Also most of the charge nurses on the unit were not nice to the techs. Also I would cover for my co-worker, and he would take 2 half hour breaks, and a full hour for lunch. We were allowed 2 15 and on half hour. So by time he took his break I sometimes didn't have time for my break. And if I did I would come back and all my call lights would be on because he wouldn't answer mine, even after when he came back from his break his lights were all answered. Then I would get in trouble because all my lights were on. Lastly, when I was a the desk I was demanded to help answer call lights, but if someone else was at the desk, they didn't have to help answer call lights.
Cons
Great place to work, great co-workers, and hospital staff
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 28, 2015
• Preparing, processing and coordinating all correspondence relating to the credentialing process for appoint/reappointment for Medical Staff and Allied Health Professionals.
• Conducting all review and reporting procedures in accordance with TJC (The Joint Commission), and NCQA standards. Responsible for maintaining compliance within these standards.
• Notifying new appointees and appropriate departments of appointment and privileges as granted by the Board of Governor’s.
• Following through with Committee recommendations and correspondence and channel decisions, directive and/or recommendations.
• Preparing monthly agendas, and meeting reminders.
• Tracking and maintaining current copies of licensures, DEA and liability insurance and verification of such.
• Recording Medical Staff CME Program credits and preparing yearly CME Certificates.
• Provide new, revised and updated privilege lists to master book and appropriate departments.
• Queries NPDB, DPR and all other boards as appropriate on all members of the Medical Staff of those practioners, AHP’s granted clinical privileges at the time of initial appointment elevation, reappointment or when additional or new privileges are requested.
• Assuming role of the Medical Staff Manager in his/her absence.
Pros
Good Salary, Benefits, 401K, etc
Registrar/Admitting (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 23, 2013
I learned how to work more in depth with medical billing and coding, stayed very busy its a good environment, always a chance for overtime whether you want it or not, on your feet throughout the whole shift, stay busy with different tasks, stay active, the scene was always different was able to interact with different patients and learn something new everyday, was able to see different medical emergency everyday. The hardest part was having to give up a lunch break after working a twelve hours shift three days in a row. Having continuously working 18 hours of overtime and when requesting a weekend off or a holiday not being approved sometimes being over worked because of the short staff and not being able to have a break or spend time with family. Really awesome job to have except for some cons here and there. The job was not hard if your willing to learn it as I was. I learned a lot and would go back but only if the situation was different. Working as a team even if the Manager wasn't on board. Benefits was a plus and bonus was also good.
Pros
learning experience, always actively working
Cons
no lunch breaks, too much overtime
HORRIBLE WORK ENVIRONMENT
RRT (Current Employee) –  Respiratory departmentSeptember 1, 2015
I currently work as a registered respiratory therapist at MMH. The environment and culture here is absurd. There is no focus on quality patient care. Its all about generating a revenue with minimal staff. This place is a danger to all customers, including staff. My department is ran horribly. The management here is so completely disconnected from what REAL patient care is all about. My own department manager is a joke. The only good thing about this department is the secretary. She is the glue that keeps this department together. The 'experienced' respiratory therapists aren't even registered. They are all certified. Their modes of ventilation are archaic and their 'unit therapsits' are dumber than dog doo doo on a stick.
A tech in the er and her (former) police man boyfriend in the er were fired and charges pressed against both of them for impersonating a law enforcement officer, to bully a nurse via email. What kind of juvenile mentality is this? I would never bring an enemy here, let alone a loved one.
Pros
Some decent looking nurses, dr liebling (hottie)
Cons
Everything else
Great learning environment
RN (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 28, 2013
Worked 3-11 shift on a 24 bed med/surg floor. Received report from 7-3 shift. Admitted, assessed patients, administered meds, dressing changes, wound care, patient education, pre op and post op care, carried out Dr.'s orders, post mortum care, started IV's, assisted MD's with procedures at patient's bedside, Communicated with other departments of hospital,
Learned how to manage time and deligate.
Management was for the most part very supportive, especially as a new grad and new RN. Being short staffed and not getting the help that was sometimes needed was frustrating since my priority was patient safety.
Great team work amongst co workers. Always helping each other.
Most difficult part of this job was wanting to do more for the patients but time and staffing situations would not allow that a at times.
Most enjoyable part of this job was helping and caring for others. Knowing what I was doing was making a difference for others.
Pros
feeling good about myself for helping others.
Cons
feeling terrible for not being able to do more.
The Manager on the floor I was on did not follow JCO rules and asked for documentation to be altered to cover for another nurse. Bad, very bad.
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FloridaSeptember 22, 2014
A typical day would start out with 6 patients, and getting the assessments and first wave of medications to the patients.
This was not bad, I was able to provide care to my patients. The culture was the problem.

Some of the nurses were very Cliquey. If a patient had atlered LOC, some of the nurses did not want the patient and wanted it switched. If a patient came from the County jail, they would look up the criminal record and decide if they wanted to take care of that patient or not. They laughed and joked when a drug addicted patient fell in their room because the nurse did not answer the call light.

As I stated before, my manager wanted me to document things I did not do, that su[supposedly another nurse did, but I did not witness. I refused. I was also asked to change my notes and documentation to cover the errors of another nurse.

The most enjoyable part was working with the patients.
Productive, Educational, Understaffed
Charge Nurse/RN, CCU (Former Employee) –  Bradenton FloridaJanuary 3, 2014
A a typical day at work included getting report on my patients/the unit if I were in charge. They were 12hr shifts. I worked 7p-7a. I worked at MMH for 2 years. I learned so much, my experience as an RN only grew. I learned how to pull cardiac catheters after a cardiac intervention,that was a skill I had never learned and learned more about the heart and ECG that I had ever known. I can thank the CCU for training me on all of the heart education that I gained. My coworkers were the best part about the job. There was such great team work, I have never worked with such wonderful coworkers. The hardest part of my job was being understaffed, having three critical patients in the ICU/CCU is a very difficult job, but with my good time management, I did it to the standard I was held to. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my coworkers, the made work fun and enjoyable.
Pros
great work environment, excellent team work
Cons
understaffed, inappropriate admissions
Great teamwork with slightly unbalanced management
PCS/Unit assistant II (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FloridaJuly 12, 2015
At Manatee Memorial I worked as a patient care technician as well as a unit assistant. I would be responsible for all patient care as far as hygiene, toileting, ambulating, etc. On days I would be a unit assistant I would enter in doctors orders, answer the unit telephones, call out consults, and organize and clean the nurses station. I worked with amazing hard working people. Everyone was willing to help each other out, and all call bells were answered in a timely fashion. I enjoyed working with my co-workers, but connecting with the patients was the most enjoyable part of my job. You hear so many different background and life stories. I can't imagine going into a different career field than the healthcare industry.
Pros
great teamwork, fair break times, great restocking of supplies by central, easy charting system
Cons
low pay compensation, overflowing job responsibilities, poor management, unorganized floating protocol
Loved the job I did -very interesting every day
Core Measure Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 31, 2015
I rounded on all units to do concurrent review of charts, looking for required documentation pertaining to the established standards of the hospital. I reviewed charts for the purpose of processing AMI, CHF, SCIP, VTE, Pneumonia, Moderate sedation reviews of discharged patients. I also reviewed charts for Mortality Reviews. It impressed upon me the importance of accureate documentation of all care given to patients. Some of my co-workers were not team players but for the most part - our office worked efficiently. The hardest part of the job was educating the physicians of what needed to be documented to be in compliance with the standards. The most enjoyable part of the job was realizing the success in meeting standards as a result of my educating staff and physicians.
Pros
reduced lunches, provided continuing education, good healthcare benefits
Cons
PTO hours
Great place to work, Supportive, great team, friendly atmosphere
Psychiatric Resource Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 19, 2012
I was responsible to admissions, discharges, medication admin, staffing (12) staff members; scheduling, 90 day and annual evals, disciplinary action; responsible for maintain budget established acuity vs staffing issues. We had a 24 bed in-pt acute care setting for seriously mentally ill patients. I also filled in for Psych Resource and Utilization Review when needed. I had great Management whom enpowered me through education to understand and believe in the rationale for the Corporations long term vision. The hardest part of my job was working 12 hr shifts and the most enjoyable were my nursing peers.
Pros
grreat pay, 15 miles from my house, great team
Cons
12 hr shifts
had a great time my first year was fun exciting pay desecnt
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 28, 2013
even though I worked my butt off I had fun in the mean time people was very nice for at least 4months. Constant moving and working was great for me I like doing that, as new management was slowly coming in and the hospital cutting employees and hours to save money it got very ugly and negative. people with higher job responsibility start to lie on you just because they may not like you and because they are friends with more powerful people who can see to it you being fired.
Pros
good opportunity gor a career pay is ok good enviroment to work
Cons
people smh, don't be a per diem worker never will be happy favortisim
Nice co-workers
Technician (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 30, 2015
This is not the worst place to work as most of my co-workers are helpful and considerate. Management is however not what it should be. Very poor communication to others that are not Physicians or Nursing Staff. Support staff is not treated very well and overlooked.
Raises for hard workers who have been there for years is terrible. This make people feel unappreciated and not recognized for their loyalty and contribution. Benefits are average with health care getting more expensive over the years.
Pros
Co-workers and patients. Benefits
Cons
Breaks and under staffing.
Excellent
Psychiatric RN Intake RN and Unit Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bradenton FloridaJanuary 6, 2015
Manatee Memorial is an excellent hospital to work at. I learned Intake triage of psychiatric patient and I have prior E.R experience. I also adjusted to working night shifts. Management was very professional and my co-workers hired by management were very ethical professional and easy to work with.The hardest part of the job was when our unit closed and having to part from wonderful team co-workers. The job was enjoyable challenging and rewarding.
Pros
great hospital
Cons
unit closed
Accomplish all
Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 13, 2014
A typical day at work, would be as always from the start to finish. I learn that we all need to work as a team and help one another. My co-workers are always willing and help each other when possible. The hardest part of the job would be when forms or med-rec are not sign by physicians when patients are being transfer to a rehab facility. The most enjoyable part of the job is when all work is done and you had accomplish all there was to be done the right way.
Pros
yes on holidays
Cons
30 min luch break
Excellent Co-workers and interesting patients
Radiologic/CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLDecember 3, 2015
I worked at this facility for eight years and enjoyed it most of the time, my coworkers were great and everyone works together! Management had constant scheduling issues so schedule was constantly being changed in spite of full time status. Stayed on night shift for eight years despite my numerous requests for different shift, seniority and loyalty not respected at this facility!
Floridian work ethic
Phlebotomist/ PRN Blood draws for labs (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 26, 2015
I am retired military. There is a nonexistent chain of command at MMH. The review process is not based on fact. I was not reviewed due to the fact that I was considered a contract employee. However, I observed behavior that would predicate termination at most companies.
Pros
great market for patients.
Cons
out of control employees. Filthy working conditions. Patients ignored by telecommuting staff.
No breaks and a lot of overtime for OR
OR staff (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 18, 2013
If you are applying to the OR be prepared for no breaks and a lot of call. You get paid for it, but you will have absolutely NO work/life balance. Management only cares for the surgeons and will work their employees whatever hours are necessary with limited amount of staff members.
Pros
pay for call and overtime
Cons
no/very late breaks, overtime required, call required
Keep looking for another employer
pharmacist (Former Employee) –  bradentonDecember 5, 2012
The pharmacy is led by 2 rookie directors who are best friends. This is a recipe for disaster. The schedule favors moms' with children. You will work ALL shifts. Poorly rewarded for carrying the workload. If you the competent pharmacist, all the burden falls on you. The pharmacy has a very poor image within the hospital.
Pros
really
Cons
multitude
A place where people work together for a cause
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 13, 2015
The thrift store is a place of dedication to the volunteers that show up. It is in high demand with all the giving from the customers that give so much. The money is used to help many organizations
Pros
Work that makes you feel your accomplishing good for the community
Cons
Not enough people for the demand
Not my cup of tea.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 21, 2015
Extremely disorganized, lack of urgency, lots of complaints from staff members, coworkers were not accepting of new staff. Nobody wanted to go above and beyond. Very lazy staff, and people were not there for the right reasons. I was very disappointed with the work environment.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Negative environment.