Mandan Public Schools Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
I met many interesting people through the curriculum writing and selection process that I led. I also enjoyed answering data questions.
Curriculum/Data Director, Retired (Former Employee) –  Mandan, North Dakota 58504February 25, 2014
I led many groups of teachers in the curriculum writing process. I included - when possible - students, parents, and school board members. I also coordinated the curriculum resource (usually textbooks) selection process while keeping things within the school board budget.

I responded to many administrator, school board and teacher questions regarding school district assessment data questions. I particularly enjoyed mining the data for answers on student achievement. I also enjoyed conducting test/assessment interpretation & professional development sessions.

I also, provided professional development on these and related topics for graduate credit through university continuing education.

Every day at work was so different. But I typically had a committee meeting after the school day. I sometimes had curriculum committee meetings before school. The middle part of the school day was meeting with administrators, teachers, meetings, both face to face as well as electronic communication, reviewing state and national curriculum standards, etc.

Teachers, students, parents, school board members as a whole are great to work with. Completing projects and seeing the insight of people into new ideas and concepts that can be applied to the classroom and to student learning were the most enjoyable part of my job.

The hardest part of my job was on a few occasions was teachers who didn't want to meet or complete the projects. This required extra effort on my part and sometimes on others parts as well.

Though this process I learned that I liked the feeling that I got
  more... seeing a new curriculum coming together for the betterment of improved teaching and higher student engagement and learning. This was accomplished both through curriculum and student assessment data.  less
Pros
Fun place to work with energetic staff, students, parents and school board.
Cons
Getting the whole curriculum writing and selection process completed on time.