MAP Communications Employee Reviews

Only take this job if you have no other options
Virtual Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 26, 2015
I only worked here for about a month before deciding to move on to bigger and better opportunities. The job itself is easy, laid-back and low stress; typical day-to-day duties include sitting at a desk all day answering calls, inputting information into the system and relaying messages. However, doing literally nothing but taking calls for eight consecutive hours can get boring. You get two thirty minutes breaks which always change. Sometimes the company you're scripting for doesn't always have the full information available, so it can get frustrating when callers ask and it isn't provided to you. While it is easy, the job is very repetitive. This place has pretty draconian attendance policies; if you are literally even a minute late clocking in, it will count against you. They monitor you from the time you log on, to the very seconds/minutes you're off the phone, and you need approval for bathroom breaks.They aren't flexible with scheduling and don't like when employees need the day off for any important reason (sick days, family obligations, emergencies, etc). Management is also extremely strict and conservative with dress codes. The first 30 days, they will "grade" you every week based on how you handle your calls. They micromanage their employees like crazy. I honestly felt like I was back in high school here rather than at a job for adults. The only good reason to work here is if you have no other options, and/or if you need a stepping stone while looking for something better.
It's a job....
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 9, 2015
A typical day at work consists of taking calls ALL DAY. it's a good place to go if you REALLLLLLLY need a job. Starting pay is 8.50$ hourly with the chance for advancement. I got promoted to 10$ hourly within 2 months of being there. Upper management does display favoritism towards those who have been there alot longer and there is a new training class almost every 2 weeks which shows you how high the turnover rate is. You get 2 30 minute breaks everyday and they vary everyday. That was a big negative for me, as I would prefer to have the same breaks everyday. Also the training supervisor who monitors you the first 30 days is very condescending and talks to you like you're a school kid with no common sense. The company is very big on attendance and they have no sympathy for you if you can't make it to work for an actual reason. All they care about is if you have a doctor's note & you can tell them you have an emergency and have to leave and they still ask if you're coming back the same day. This company is all about making money, not it's employees and it's really hard to establish relationships with coworkers because you're literally answering calls ALL DAY. Alot of the callers are angry or upset so you have to deal with that frequently. Bottom line, if you absolutely NEED a job and can't find anywhere else then you could apply here but it's not an enjoyable job.
Call center
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAApril 28, 2015
Fast pace call center. very strict on rules and regulations. little growth within the company. management is equal and understanding
Phone receptionist with customer service skills.
Senior Operator (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 27, 2015
Pros: Never boring, friendly environment, employee owned and operated
Cons: Hours not very flexible.
This job is very customer oriented. They go above and beyond to make sure the customer is happy. Customer service is key with any position at this company. I learned to listen and be patient. Each call is different an needs your undivided attention. I learned to handle irate callers and calm them in a soothing way. I enjoyed getting to speak to a wide variety of callers each day. I knew once I had spoken with the caller that I had helped that caller and had made a difference in their day.
Productive and a great learning experience
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work for me at Map Communications was to learn different personalities of each customer. I learned how to balance getting to know a customer and creating a positive atmosphere in each call. The management was very warm and opened to feedback. My co-workers made work fun for me. The hardest part of the job was the fact that every customer wasn't as friendly but management provide different ways in which we could try to please them, even when they were upset. Overall, I really did enjoy working for such a great company.
Able to provide personable and resourceful problem solving in emergency situations.
Remote ER Medical Dispatcher (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Worked from home
Cons: Short breaks
Knowledge to think and act quickly in emergency situations. Pleasing speaking voice, clear enunciation, tact, courtesy, and good hearing. Patient with difficult callers, and not quick tempered.
Typical call center company
Specialty Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMarch 11, 2015
Typical call center company with limited opportunity for advancement if you have a limited availibility. Was able to perfect my typing speed and telephone voice.
Enjoy working here family orenintated work place
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMarch 10, 2015
I enjoyed working at MAP it was a great atomosphere to be in. I never had any issues. I would honestly recomend this job to family and friends. Anyone would enjoy working here I know I did.
Typically good job over all.
Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJanuary 14, 2015
Desk job where you answer phones all day, with two thirty minutes break. Have to follow specific scripts and have to have certain percentage of quality for you to stay employed.
productive enviroment
receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VANovember 20, 2014
it was fun learning to answering phone calls for several hundred companies. it was fast paced and the day would go by very quickly. hardest part was following the written script for every phone call. co workers were always so bright and chipper
Not a fun workplace, but the people there are nice.
Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VaOctober 20, 2014
Cons: short breaks, long shifts on weekends
At work, typically as soon as you enter the work place, you get on the phones. You handle calls for various companies all over the United States, and sometimes in Canada. The hardest part of being with the company itself, is the acting. Some calls require you to act as if you are part of the company, and when there is limited information given to you, such as a company not allowing you to know their business hours, it is hard to act like you work for the company. The easiest part is just typing up the messages for the companies.
organized company and they work with you
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Lake Success, NYSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: always flexible in schedule
Cons: short breaks
Good company, good work ethics, organized and friendly people
terrible place to work for and do business with
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 30, 2014
awful job to work for. I would never work for map again. I would not recommend others to get this job, that's why this place is always hiring because people quit.
worked for 100 % employee built and owned company with benefits
General Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJune 25, 2014
Pros: benefits, raise in pay, room for advancement, bonuses and incentives, casual days, excessive overtime
Cons: short break times, lack of leniency to personal life, demanding work level, hidden cliques
typical day at work required us to be on the phone an average of 7 hrs 53 minutes in order to be considered an equally qualified and successful representative of the company. Required us to dress professionally and be efficient and learn the desired script necessary to further assist the customer. We were graded based off of performance weekly and percentile wise by the month for quality. Enjoyed the atmosphere for the most part, it was segregated based off the departments which of course were paid more. I loved interacting with my co-workers. some of them made an impression on me and will remember some of them fondly. My tenure there help me get through one of the worst financial seasons of my personal life and I found my best friend and soon to be wife there so that will be the most enjoyable part of the job. the hardest was the fact I had to leave the job and working in the snow. I am grateful for the experience most of all!
fun enviorment & excellent benefits
Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 29, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks & sit all day
handle incoming calls for answering service as receptionist. The calls are pressured & fun with the change of different business calls. You sit all day may be hard for some. There is room for advancement & management people are very good people.
A very Productive place to work at.
Call Center Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 1, 2014
like working there and a nice place to work at. The benefits is nice and they have 401k and dental and health.
N/A
Customer Service Rep II (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 16, 2014
Nothing to say. The place is confused along with supervisors
Nice as a Part Time Job
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee), Chesapeake Greenbrier VaJanuary 12, 2014
You are limited to breaks
There is no PTO until your first year
Management do not look out for your best interest
Very repetitive and sometimes stressful
Travel is not worth the pay
You are put on a point system for being late with no exceptions to important holidays, appointments, or family issues
Family oriented work enviornment
Sr. Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJanuary 11, 2014
The company is a very good place to work and they really care about their employees. Really wish I was still thee.
its okay.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 29, 2013
the most enjoyable part about the job was the team building exercises. it was considered a fun atmosphere and they also have an employee owned right to their stock so you can invest your money as well as earn your normal pay