MAP Communications

MAP Communications Employer Reviews

terrible place to work for and do business with
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 30, 2014
awful job to work for. I would never work for map again. I would not recommend others to get this job, that's why this place is always hiring because people quit.
worked for 100 % employee built and owned company with benefits
General Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJune 25, 2014
Pros: benefits, raise in pay, room for advancement, bonuses and incentives, casual days, excessive overtime
Cons: short break times, lack of leniency to personal life, demanding work level, hidden cliques
typical day at work required us to be on the phone an average of 7 hrs 53 minutes in order to be considered an equally qualified and successful representative of the company. Required us to dress professionally and be efficient and learn the desired script necessary to further assist the customer. We were graded based off of performance weekly and percentile – more... wise by the month for quality. Enjoyed the atmosphere for the most part, it was segregated based off the departments which of course were paid more. I loved interacting with my co-workers. some of them made an impression on me and will remember some of them fondly. My tenure there help me get through one of the worst financial seasons of my personal life and I found my best friend and soon to be wife there so that will be the most enjoyable part of the job. the hardest was the fact I had to leave the job and working in the snow. I am grateful for the experience most of all! – less
fun enviorment & excellent benefits
Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 29, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: short breaks & sit all day
handle incoming calls for answering service as receptionist. The calls are pressured & fun with the change of different business calls. You sit all day may be hard for some. There is room for advancement & management people are very good people.
A very Productive place to work at.
Call Center Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 1, 2014
like working there and a nice place to work at. The benefits is nice and they have 401k and dental and health.
N/A
Customer Service Rep II (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 16, 2014
Nothing to say. The place is confused along with supervisors
Nice as a Part Time Job
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee), Chesapeake Greenbrier VaJanuary 12, 2014
You are limited to breaks
There is no PTO until your first year
Management do not look out for your best interest
Very repetitive and sometimes stressful
Travel is not worth the pay
You are put on a point system for being late with no exceptions to important holidays, appointments, or family issues
Family oriented work enviornment
Sr. Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJanuary 11, 2014
The company is a very good place to work and they really care about their employees. Really wish I was still thee.
its okay.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 29, 2013
the most enjoyable part about the job was the team building exercises. it was considered a fun atmosphere and they also have an employee owned right to their stock so you can invest your money as well as earn your normal pay
Will treat you well if you treat them well.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: they throw a great christmas party!
Cons: don't count on having your weekend/day off completely off, especially if the call center is busy.
Generally a good company, but working in a call center isn't for everybody. Although I completely agree with maintaining high standards, I find the quality expectations for receptionists to be a little too high for the type of job this is. There is a high turn-over rate, and the work can get pretty stressful. Aside from that, this company really cares – more... about the employees, and tries to work with them as much as possible. They have excellent benefits and perks for their employees. – less
Perfect for stability/plenty of hours if wanted
Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: benefits after probationary period for full time
Cons: must basically stay stationary for entire shift
9 hour shift with 2 30 minute breaks/talk to lots of people around the country without leaving your desk/lots of repetition
Quick response time and specified message set up for answering service.
Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake VirginiaAugust 7, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: lake of pertinant information on accounts
During a regular work shift I come in set up my computer and get my station ready to take calls. While working here I have learned to listen carefully to callers and keeping up with what they are saying to make sure everything they want to say is included in their message. Management is very considerate and will try to work with you to the best of their – more... abilities. They are very flexible with hours, and considerate to those who have to work around school schedules. Everyone I work with are delightful, and supportive. If you ever need assistance there are right there and willing to assist at anytime. The hardest part of my job would be when I am not provided with enough information on the company. For example, when we are not provided with the address or the office hours it is upsetting to have to say that I do not have that information when we are supposed to be acting as if we are in the office. The best part of my job is when I am able to help a caller out, with either taking their message or being able to set them up with a reservation. The hospitality group I am would be my favorite. Each place is different and each person has their own interesting story. Having the opportunity to assist them in making a reservation and giving them the security of knowing that it was done efficiently and effectively. – less
Fun work place at times
Operater / Dispatcher (Former Employee), Lake Success, NYJuly 28, 2013
Pros: pto, flexible hours, holiday parties
Cons: short breaks, working in a small office that was always air conditioned
A typical day at work consist of a heavy volume of calls, including a variety of different company's. Working there I learned how to keep calm in an environment where I had to deal with the emotions of everyday people.
The hours were flexible for the most part.
Co-workers were great.
I enjoyed the night shift the most due to having to supervise other – more... co-workers and teach them what I learned.
I also had the opportunity to train fellow employees.
The hardest part of the job was basically trying to keep a level head when dealing with customers. – less
office desk job
Receptionist (Current Employee), chesapeake, VAJuly 21, 2013
Pros: any available overtime
Cons: only 2 breaks
call center, virtual receptionist. computer base job. answering calls, directing where they should go. taking message for our clients.
Decent Place to work
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAApril 30, 2013
Cons: was not flexible towards family illnesses and missing work due to sick newborns
I answered calls and took messages all day. The coworkers were great and pay and benefits were decent. The hardest part of the job was explaining to people that I couldn't just transfer them I had to leave an actual message, then hearing and seeing they have been leaving messages for their doctor for days/weeks and the doctors or other clients didn't – more... call back. – less
Awful - But if you work as a recruiter or trainer you'll have job security!
Receptionist (call center) (Former Employee), Chesapeake VAApril 4, 2013
Pros: good physical environment; advancement opportunity
Cons: low pay, unrealistic expectations, high employee turnover
Low pay, huge turnover (example: I was one of 5 full time employees hired and they only have one left out of 5 of us in less than a month of being hired and they brought in 7 temps to handle phone calls because they couldn't keep anyone) Even a manager told me they have over 50% turnaround! They're constantly hiring.

Unrealistic expectations...you're – more... required to use exact phrasing (it's called role play) and if you even ask a caller for example, for a phone number before you ask for their name, you get docked for it. (they review 5 calls each week per employee) Even if the call was exceptionally handled, professional, helpful you're still docked for it). It's ridiculous.

Need an extra 10 minutes one day for a bathroom issue, anything? Forget it. Once again you're docked if you're not on the phones at least 96% of the day. Totally unrealistic. I've never worked for such a place before.

I've worked for 2 other call centers and MAP is totally different...totally unrealistic...I'm very happy to be gone. I wouldn't recommend this place to work for anyone. Every job I've ever held except Map I've had marks of 4's and 5's on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being exceptional. I'm a good employee and not a quitter.

Oh, and my last call center job before this one? Our department manager listed me (and marked on my yearly review) that I was in her top 3 employees she's ever managed in her 20 years. I had to quit because I had to relocate or I would still be there. So, I know a little bit about call centers and the work required.
Review your payscale. $8/hour is too low for this type of job. I can't remember the last time I worked for $8/hour! (except here of course).

ADVICE to Map:
Make your phone policies workable (I was docked for minor things like phone number before name, yet a co-worker next to me was told by a minimum of 3 callers that she was dumb. I'm sure it was because she did her "role play" and her call handling was totally messed up because it didn't fit the call itself but she got a 96...hmmm...) I never had any complaints from your clients.

Bathroom breaks...lighten up. Sometimes we need an extra break. (or would you rather keep hiring and losing employees weekly over and over again? how much money do you lose doing that??) Set realistic goals for your employees.

Oh and if you're not going to change? Make sure you let your applicants know your turn around rate and issues. (We would much rather keep looking for a job than wasting our time – less
Productive and Fun workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJanuary 22, 2013
Great Place to work..Yearly christmas parties, halloween costume contest for cash prizes, and many pay incentives. Great benefits as well as great staff.
Exhausting
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VANovember 13, 2012
Pros: not very selective
Cons: a lot of call volume, and you get yelled at a lot (by customers)
If you are sensitive to rudeness then this is not the job for you. That being said, If you can handle the occasional angry customer, this is a good "foot-in-the-door" job for business. advancement is almost guaranteed if you are willing to go the extra mile, but beware - all calls are recorded!
Summary
Virtual Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 30, 2012
-work all holidays
-don't have 2 days off in a row
-little advancement opportunities
-2 thirty minute breaks in 8 hours
-awful pay
Nice Employees
Virtual Receptionist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 27, 2012
Pros: company parties
Cons: phone handeling all day
YOu have to be patient with the customers .Very head strong because the customers at times can be very inpatient.Very nice and helping coworkes enjoyable part of the job is every now and then you will get someone that is appreciative of your services.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Specialty Receptionist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 16, 2012
Pros: promote from within
Cons: strict points system for attendance
A typical day consists of arriving early prior to shift and locating an available location to work from.Checking your daily stats and team memos and then logging into the phones to begin taking calls