Maple Leaf Farms Employee Reviews

favorite job I've had
Hatchery Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kansasville, WIJuly 10, 2017
This is the absolute favorite job I have ever had. The work is different which made it fun, the people I worked with were great too. The hours were 5:30am-2pm which left you with the whole day to so stuff) and then 2 people rotated Sat/Sun 6am-10am for candling or transferring. The only reason I left was because there was very little communication between the manager to the laborers, leaving us not knowing what to do quite often. Communication is 110% key when you are working with live animals on a daily basis.
one of the better places i have worked.
Hatchery worker (Current Employee) –  Cromwell, INJuly 7, 2017
One of the better places I have worked at, not your normal experience in a factory. If you can handle the smell, then its great. Only bad thing is getting past the smell of rotten eggs.
Good work
Holding House worker (Former Employee) –  Milford, INMay 25, 2017
Maple leaf is a good company to work for most day it was moving animals of the trucks. Let them rest for an hour or two. move them to the round room. I learned to keep moving and to stay com under pressure. Management was o.k. they keep an eye told you do the job better and help. we also had to work as team if one fail it cost everyone.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
shortbreaks
Easy but hard at the same time
Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  Waterford, WIApril 19, 2017
If you have some background with animals you would be fine. very hard work with little reward. pay was okay if you like being a slave. also very hot environment
Pros
free lunch once a month
Cons
hot
Don't apply if you have animals
Hatchery Labor (Former Employee) –  Cromwell, INApril 19, 2017
Had the job lined up and day before I was schedualed to start they retracted their job offer because I have my own livestock at home. Basically they want to tell you that you can't go to the lake, you can't be in contact with other animals, don't go to fairs, don't go to swap meets, etc. I'm sure I would have liked the company and the job but their unrealistically high biosecuity standards are ridiculous.
Benefits
Cons
basicly have to live in a bubble
Good workplace but no room for a career
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INJanuary 30, 2017
I enjoyed my working experience here. However i wanted more responsibility and pay and there is no room whatsoever to move up to a manager/crew leader position.
3rd shift
Chiller (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, INJanuary 25, 2017
Maple leaf farms paid well but it was not worth it.
I would start my shift at 1130 pm and end around 8 am. I worked in the evisceration plant where the duck was pretty much torn apart. My job was to chill the finished duck, inspect it for defects and then to hang it up for it to go down the line. The hardest part was the night shift. The best part was the pay and benefits.
Pros
Pay and health benefits
Cons
3rd shift
Job security and opportunities for advancement
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, INJanuary 18, 2017
Maple Leaf Farms is a good place to work. They offer excellent job security and benefits at a very reasonable cost. There are also opportunities for advancement.
Way to much overtime and cant advance.
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Milford, INSeptember 30, 2016
Once you are competent in an area you dont get the chance to move up and in the late fall and winter months there is tons of mandated overtime and 6 day work weeks. No family time. Bad management.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lots of mandated overtime
Very busy, line work, chicken and duck processing, very clean place because of OSHA.
RTE, Chicken Line (Former Employee) –  Milford, INSeptember 26, 2016
A typical day at work started at 6:45am until 3:30pm. I learned how to run all the machines on the chicken line, I learned packing and shipping, I learned how to build an entire skid by myself, I learned how to do the whole process of the chicken cordon bleu's. I learned how to keep up with the line so you wouldn't get a pile up. The management were very helpful when you needed it. The hardest part of the job was the fact that it is only 38 degrees in the factory at all times since you are working with processed frozen meat. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was running the machines.
Pros
Raises quite often, great benefits, point system is leniate, a lot of work space.
Cons
finding something in the meat that shouldn't be there and having to shut down production, the temperature.
Some of the people were nice
Ex employee (Former Employee) –  Milford, INSeptember 14, 2016
If you can get past the smell, and able to stand in one spot for 8 hours you might like it. Management sucked an only care as bout getting duck's out.
Cons
fun, fast, and good cross training
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Milford, INJuly 31, 2016
many different areas to try out and train in, very good cross training, and area separation makes distractions near to none, however some machines were out-dated and broke down constantly sometimes badly resulting in early clock out.
Pros
fun, good cross training, little distractions
Cons
smelly, dead duck guts everywhere, mandatory overtime
Great place to work every day a diffrent task.
Maint. Tech. (Former Employee) –  Milford, INApril 12, 2016
Hardest part of the job could have been the weather .Repaired what ever was needed to keep production moving forward.Worked with some great coworkers.
Pros
benifits
Cons
on call
very productive
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Milford, INFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoyed the work in the beginning. After 6 months they allow you to switch departments, but in my case they said I was very good at my job and didn't want to let me go. It was good to hear, but I didn't like what I was doing.
Great Place
Line Worker/Shipping Manager (Former Employee) –  Milford, INFebruary 2, 2016
Loved working there! Family owned! Fun people and management! They care for you as a person, your personal needs and wants. They are very good at getting you raises and funding needs. They work around pains in your muscles to prevent future health problems!
Pros
co-workers and pay
This place will become your life, especially in management
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Miford, INOctober 10, 2015
The place is chaotic. Employee and management turnover rate is ridiculous. It's a revolving door. As an employee who worked their way up the food chain, I had the chance to see a lot. As an employee, you're worked hard, constantly yelled at (unless you had a close, personal relationship with the supervisor...then you could get away with anything). When the job was done, you were done. In some areas, that could mean a 6 hour day or a 13 hour day. Scheduling was in complete disarray. That's a production employee's life for you.

As a QA, it's not as bad. Hours are pretty much set for the week. A Tech rotates through the different lines. There are special projects that get handed down from management. Some are a complete waste of time and go nowhere, some actually have some sense to it. All depends on which way the wind blows.

As a QA Lead, much, MUCH different. Your life is no longer your own. You live in that place. If a Tech misses, you're there. If your manager misses, you're there. And God help you if you don't have your phone charged at all times as you were on call 24/7. Special projects? A ton of them! A Lead is worked as a slave. When you're short staffed and have a ton of projects on your plate, you don't take actual breaks and lunches, You run outside, grab a smoke, grab a soda and then it's back in. You eat and drink on the run.

Plus, since it's a USDA facility, that can be double trouble. You are in charge of the quality of the facility overall. If USDA has an issue, they come to you. Think you can get a supervisor involved to help
  more... you when there's an issue? Only when threatened with USDA action. Then if things aren't up to USDA standards, the area gets tagged off and then you get to answer to Upper Management as to why. It's your responsibility.

It's an extremely stressful job. They do not pay anyone enough to deal with the types of stresses that come with the position. Would I go back to it? Nope. Not on your life. My position was extremely secure there. I made it my life for years.,,,until I had enough.
Pros
Money was decent for a QA Tech
Cons
Omg, the stress of it all!!!
Excellent job - poor Management
Sales Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, INApril 29, 2015
Owners are really good. Middle Management is inept at best.

Advancement opportunities are given on a very selective basis and they are dished out not to the best candidate.
Pros
Good Salary, Excellent Benefits
Cons
Advancement is based on who you know
They treat interns as real workers
Operation Intern (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, INMarch 9, 2015
I interned at maple leaf farms for three months in 2014, and I liked it a lot.

They treat their employees very nice. The housing provided is a hotel room with king bed. The project that I worked on is real individual projects, and you can get lots of experience from doing them. You are very welcome by the company, and they treat you as you are their real workers. They listen to your advice, and they valued them a lot. They trusted in you for your project, and they will give you the opportunity to learn things that you would like to know.

I worked at the Leesburg plant, and I am majoring in process engineering. The plant manager is very kind to answer any questions that I have. My supervisor gave me so much support during my time there.

They have super high standard on quality control and safety control. Their standard is way higher than USDA requirements.

I really recommend anyone that want to have industry experience intern with them.
Further Process Utility (Former Employee) –  Milford, INMarch 9, 2015
Not a bad place to work, its a fast pace environment. Pays great and has wonderful benefits. I had issues with the ways employees were treated, management is unstable.
steady, mind numbing work with extremely poor management
back-up lead (Former Employee) –  Milford, INDecember 7, 2014
Worked for them for three years, learned every job on the evis line. Was repeatedly overworked and under appreciated. HR and union were a pointless joke
Pros
good people
Cons
everything else