Maple Leaf Farms

Maple Leaf Farms Employer Reviews

Work was great but it severely lacked good management and proper equipment for workers.
510 Utility (Former Employee), Milford, INNovember 10, 2014
Pros: skills i learned, people i meet, being able to make my own calls, and physical/mental work
Cons: bad management, a lot of equipment needed fixed, many didn't know what call to make causing downtime.
Set up my area which took 1 hour, put together two machines a 510 and Hobart. Got my ingredients checking the bill of materials before using them to make sure I was given proper materials and didn't mix anything that didn't need to be mixed which could cause a waste of 2000 pounds of product. Kept track of 7 pieces of paperwork, my batch paperwork kept track of what I used to make each batch. Slurry kept track of what ingredients I added tot he trim/skin. Raw meat usage to keep track of what I used and the variance of trim/skin that could be lost. A time study to make sure I was being efficient and not wasting time. Metal detector checked every hour to make sure not metal was put into product. A pallet inspection log to check and make sure there was nothing that would contaminate the trim/skin before we chopped it apart. Weighed all materials to the exact measurement it was needed within 45 minutes to 1 hour pushing and weighing 100-500 pound tanks of meat. This was a major multitasking and time management job which I had myself and the chopper who ground up the trim/skin before I used it all else was in my care, I was left to do this on my own only checking with my supervisor to make sure things were on task and the line was running smooth enough I could keep making product and if not I stopped to help the line catch up and then continue my work.

I learned great time management, quality assurance, Paperwork control, Area/team Management, Forklift certified, Bill of material reading, Making my own bill of materials, and complete self reliance to get the job done without being – more... told to or asking what I should do next.

Management was about the worst I have had in any work place yet, a lot of them didn't know how to operate any of our machines or much of the paperwork and didn't usually make what I felt was the best call. I had many issues with it I voiced in a reasonable manner but felt I was ignored.

Co-workers were great I had an excellent time with them and could always rely on them to do a side job or help them out if I had time. In my first week when ever I had gotten behind they were over there helping me get a boost to finish on time and keep the line running.

The hardest part of my job was getting it done every hour. If the meat was very cold it would seem fluffy and would fill our bins fast weighing about 250-350 pounds causing me to have to empty them faster so he had bins to put meat into. If it was warmer or soft it would clog the machine and my chopper would have to stop constantly to clean it out. I had a floor scale in my area but had to use one from another area as they didn't have mine fixed the whole period I worked there is was never fixed. Had to go to another area to weigh ingredients when my smaller scale wasn't working and I had two that didn't work and I saw everyday were back in maintenance with other items just stacked on top of them. Had to work with the duck area to let them use the Hobart in time to get there product out and still run my skin though it and get my jobs done. I did get used to it and got the job done no problem but it caused a great deal of stress on myself to do so.

The most enjoyable part of the job was just being able to make the calls I felt were right to get the job done not ask and have to wait 1 hour to get a response back and my job was very time sensitive. Being able to do physical work and the mental work at the same time, my days passed by quickly even though I was doing hourly metal checks and having to watch time to get my team to breaks and lunches on time. – less
Long days of various jobs
Farm Hand - Truck Driver (Current Employee), Myerstown, PASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: long hours
A typical day starts at 3am, milking in the morning, feeding follows and then into fieldwork, milking in the evening again
Not fun at all.
Production Worker (Former Employee), Milford, INMay 7, 2014
This place had alot of disseray. Not fun to work for. Cared more about business than it does making the employees happy.
Good company but mediocre management
Sales Service Specialist (Former Employee), Leesburg, INFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: obtuse management
The customer service manager had absolutely no clue as to the guidelines and procedures. Because there was not SOP's when there was a mistake, she was the first one to throw you under the bus to save her own behind
hard working place
assembly line (Former Employee), milford INSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: good benifits
Cons: long hours, hard work
When I first started working a maple leaf I was really sure about it. The whole fact that you had to train yourself the job was kind of weird. As time went passed I started to like the job more and more. I learned so much from this job. Like how to cut duck and what to look for. The only thing I didn't like about the job was management doesn't really care about their employees. they care more about getting product out. I think at a company you should care about the product and the employees. the employees are the important part of a company. they are the one that get the company product out.
Fast past production, makes your day go by fast.
Breader and Batter utility (Current Employee), Milford, INJuly 21, 2013
Pros: stable job, good benefits
Cons: unappreciated at times, machines that break down causing alot of down time
Breader and Batter utility performs weight checks of the product being produced. we insure that all product is up to specs and is top quality for our customers. make adjustments to batter or breading, adjustments to weights and sizes to have the product produces to the best possible. have great co workers alot of team work involved to get the best results. the best part of my job is that i can be apart of producing a product for the public and there familys.
Maple Leaf Farms
Production/Laborer (Former Employee), Milford, INJuly 11, 2013
Inspections and production and lots of other stuff there is alot that I was doing there. I would float from one position to another
I loved the ladies I worked with on the line !
Wolf king Utility (Former Employee), Milford, INMay 4, 2013
A typical day at work would include doing paper work. Making sure that my machine was always filled and able to produce the product. I learned how to be a better person at this company and was given great oppertunties to learn different jobs in my area. Managment was great I never had any problems with my manager. There wasnt really a hard part of my job. I enjoyed my job alot.
great company growing fast
hualer/washer (Former Employee), Raymond, WIApril 21, 2013
working with ducks
dirty
management was great good communication
Great place to work,Great benifits
Production (Current Employee), Milford, INNovember 3, 2012
Pros: great pay
Cons: short breaks, but we get several
Great enviroment,Staff is very helpfull. The pay is amazing and the benifits are great
Was a Learning Experience every Day !
Lead Industrial Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Milford, INOctober 29, 2012
Pros: great pay & job
Cons: coworkers on other shifts
Loved my job was a Good feeling too go too work everyday ,knowing you made sure the food was safe for everyone Quality first & Love Duck !
long hours, ok pay, unorganized with inconsistancies
Laborer, General (Former Employee), Milford, INAugust 10, 2012
Pros: getting to come in late or go home early when name is drawn
Cons: to many people telling me what to do that are not consistant with each other.
clock in and start pulling boxes from conveyer belt and load on skids. If banding belt breaks supervisor says to continue loading, but fda peron says not to. Managemnet does not communicate well with each other. I stack boxes on skids. Hardest part of job in getting the boxes to the top of the stack that is 2-3 feet above my head. I enjoy my co-workers great guys to work with except union members who stand around alot. I have no problem giving 110% it is just aggrevating to do it when I see others standing around doing nothing. Best part of job they draw names that once a week someone gets to either come in late or go home early.
Newer trucks
Livehaul truck driver (Former Employee), Milford, INFebruary 15, 2012
Cons: no benfits, low pay
I spent more time loading and unloading ducks than I did driving the truck.