Maple Leaf Farms Employee Reviews

Some of the people were nice
Ex employee (Former Employee) –  Milford, INSeptember 14, 2016
If you can get past the smell, and able to stand in one spot for 8 hours you might like it. Management sucked an only care as bout getting duck's out.
Cons
fun, fast, and good cross training
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Milford, INJuly 31, 2016
many different areas to try out and train in, very good cross training, and area separation makes distractions near to none, however some machines were out-dated and broke down constantly sometimes badly resulting in early clock out.
Pros
fun, good cross training, little distractions
Cons
smelly, dead duck guts everywhere, mandatory overtime
Great place to work every day a diffrent task.
Maint. Tech. (Former Employee) –  Milford, INApril 12, 2016
Hardest part of the job could have been the weather .Repaired what ever was needed to keep production moving forward.Worked with some great coworkers.
Pros
benifits
Cons
on call
very productive
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Milford, INFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoyed the work in the beginning. After 6 months they allow you to switch departments, but in my case they said I was very good at my job and didn't want to let me go. It was good to hear, but I didn't like what I was doing.
Great Place
Line Worker/Shipping Manager (Former Employee) –  Milford, INFebruary 2, 2016
Loved working there! Family owned! Fun people and management! They care for you as a person, your personal needs and wants. They are very good at getting you raises and funding needs. They work around pains in your muscles to prevent future health problems!
Pros
co-workers and pay
This place will become your life, especially in management
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Miford, INOctober 10, 2015
The place is chaotic. Employee and management turnover rate is ridiculous. It's a revolving door. As an employee who worked their way up the food chain, I had the chance to see a lot. As an employee, you're worked hard, constantly yelled at (unless you had a close, personal relationship with the supervisor...then you could get away with anything). When the job was done, you were done. In some areas, that could mean a 6 hour day or a 13 hour day. Scheduling was in complete disarray. That's a production employee's life for you.

As a QA, it's not as bad. Hours are pretty much set for the week. A Tech rotates through the different lines. There are special projects that get handed down from management. Some are a complete waste of time and go nowhere, some actually have some sense to it. All depends on which way the wind blows.

As a QA Lead, much, MUCH different. Your life is no longer your own. You live in that place. If a Tech misses, you're there. If your manager misses, you're there. And God help you if you don't have your phone charged at all times as you were on call 24/7. Special projects? A ton of them! A Lead is worked as a slave. When you're short staffed and have a ton of projects on your plate, you don't take actual breaks and lunches, You run outside, grab a smoke, grab a soda and then it's back in. You eat and drink on the run.

Plus, since it's a USDA facility, that can be double trouble. You are in charge of the quality of the facility overall. If USDA has an issue, they come to you. Think you can get a supervisor involved to help
  more... you when there's an issue? Only when threatened with USDA action. Then if things aren't up to USDA standards, the area gets tagged off and then you get to answer to Upper Management as to why. It's your responsibility.

It's an extremely stressful job. They do not pay anyone enough to deal with the types of stresses that come with the position. Would I go back to it? Nope. Not on your life. My position was extremely secure there. I made it my life for years.,,,until I had enough.
Pros
Money was decent for a QA Tech
Cons
OMG, the stress of it all!!!
Excellent job - poor Management
Sales Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, INApril 29, 2015
Owners are really good. Middle Management is inept at best.

Advancement opportunities are given on a very selective basis and they are dished out not to the best candidate.
Pros
Good Salary, Excellent Benefits
Cons
Advancement is based on who you know
They treat interns as real workers
Operation Intern (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, INMarch 9, 2015
I interned at maple leaf farms for three months in 2014, and I liked it a lot.

They treat their employees very nice. The housing provided is a hotel room with king bed. The project that I worked on is real individual projects, and you can get lots of experience from doing them. You are very welcome by the company, and they treat you as you are their real workers. They listen to your advice, and they valued them a lot. They trusted in you for your project, and they will give you the opportunity to learn things that you would like to know.

I worked at the Leesburg plant, and I am majoring in process engineering. The plant manager is very kind to answer any questions that I have. My supervisor gave me so much support during my time there.

They have super high standard on quality control and safety control. Their standard is way higher than USDA requirements.

I really recommend anyone that want to have industry experience intern with them.
Further Process Utility (Former Employee) –  Milford, INMarch 9, 2015
Not a bad place to work, its a fast pace environment. Pays great and has wonderful benefits. I had issues with the ways employees were treated, management is unstable.
steady, mind numbing work with extremely poor management
back-up lead (Former Employee) –  Milford, INDecember 7, 2014
Worked for them for three years, learned every job on the evis line. Was repeatedly overworked and under appreciated. HR and union were a pointless joke
Pros
good people
Cons
everything else
Work was great but it severely lacked good management and proper equipment for workers.
510 Utility (Former Employee) –  Milford, INNovember 10, 2014
Set up my area which took 1 hour, put together two machines a 510 and Hobart. Got my ingredients checking the bill of materials before using them to make sure I was given proper materials and didn't mix anything that didn't need to be mixed which could cause a waste of 2000 pounds of product. Kept track of 7 pieces of paperwork, my batch paperwork kept track of what I used to make each batch. Slurry kept track of what ingredients I added tot he trim/skin. Raw meat usage to keep track of what I used and the variance of trim/skin that could be lost. A time study to make sure I was being efficient and not wasting time. Metal detector checked every hour to make sure not metal was put into product. A pallet inspection log to check and make sure there was nothing that would contaminate the trim/skin before we chopped it apart. Weighed all materials to the exact measurement it was needed within 45 minutes to 1 hour pushing and weighing 100-500 pound tanks of meat. This was a major multitasking and time management job which I had myself and the chopper who ground up the trim/skin before I used it all else was in my care, I was left to do this on my own only checking with my supervisor to make sure things were on task and the line was running smooth enough I could keep making product and if not I stopped to help the line catch up and then continue my work.

I learned great time management, quality assurance, Paperwork control, Area/team Management, Forklift certified, Bill of material reading, Making my own bill of materials, and complete self reliance to get the job done without being
  more... told to or asking what I should do next.

Management was about the worst I have had in any work place yet, a lot of them didn't know how to operate any of our machines or much of the paperwork and didn't usually make what I felt was the best call. I had many issues with it I voiced in a reasonable manner but felt I was ignored.

Co-workers were great I had an excellent time with them and could always rely on them to do a side job or help them out if I had time. In my first week when ever I had gotten behind they were over there helping me get a boost to finish on time and keep the line running.

The hardest part of my job was getting it done every hour. If the meat was very cold it would seem fluffy and would fill our bins fast weighing about 250-350 pounds causing me to have to empty them faster so he had bins to put meat into. If it was warmer or soft it would clog the machine and my chopper would have to stop constantly to clean it out. I had a floor scale in my area but had to use one from another area as they didn't have mine fixed the whole period I worked there is was never fixed. Had to go to another area to weigh ingredients when my smaller scale wasn't working and I had two that didn't work and I saw everyday were back in maintenance with other items just stacked on top of them. Had to work with the duck area to let them use the Hobart in time to get there product out and still run my skin though it and get my jobs done. I did get used to it and got the job done no problem but it caused a great deal of stress on myself to do so.

The most enjoyable part of the job was just being able to make the calls I felt were right to get the job done not ask and have to wait 1 hour to get a response back and my job was very time sensitive. Being able to do physical work and the mental work at the same time, my days passed by quickly even though I was doing hourly metal checks and having to watch time to get my team to breaks and lunches on time.
Pros
skills i learned, people i meet, being able to make my own calls, and physical/mental work
Cons
bad management, a lot of equipment needed fixed, many didn't know what call to make causing downtime.
Long days of various jobs
Farm Hand - Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Myerstown, PASeptember 23, 2014
A typical day starts at 3am, milking in the morning, feeding follows and then into fieldwork, milking in the evening again
Pros
good pay
Not fun at all.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Milford, INMay 7, 2014
This place had alot of disseray. Not fun to work for. Cared more about business than it does making the employees happy.
Good company but mediocre management
Sales Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, INFebruary 25, 2014
The customer service manager had absolutely no clue as to the guidelines and procedures. Because there was not SOP's when there was a mistake, she was the first one to throw you under the bus to save her own behind
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
obtuse management
hard working place
assembly line (Former Employee) –  milford INSeptember 9, 2013
When I first started working a maple leaf I was really sure about it. The whole fact that you had to train yourself the job was kind of weird. As time went passed I started to like the job more and more. I learned so much from this job. Like how to cut duck and what to look for. The only thing I didn't like about the job was management doesn't really care about their employees. they care more about getting product out. I think at a company you should care about the product and the employees. the employees are the important part of a company. they are the one that get the company product out.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
long hours, hard work
Fast past production, makes your day go by fast.
Breader and Batter utility (Current Employee) –  Milford, INJuly 21, 2013
Breader and Batter utility performs weight checks of the product being produced. we insure that all product is up to specs and is top quality for our customers. make adjustments to batter or breading, adjustments to weights and sizes to have the product produces to the best possible. have great co workers alot of team work involved to get the best results. the best part of my job is that i can be apart of producing a product for the public and there familys.
Pros
stable job, good benefits
Cons
unappreciated at times, machines that break down causing alot of down time
Maple Leaf Farms
Production/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Milford, INJuly 11, 2013
Inspections and production and lots of other stuff there is alot that I was doing there. I would float from one position to another
I loved the ladies I worked with on the line !
Wolf king Utility (Former Employee) –  Milford, INMay 4, 2013
A typical day at work would include doing paper work. Making sure that my machine was always filled and able to produce the product. I learned how to be a better person at this company and was given great oppertunties to learn different jobs in my area. Managment was great I never had any problems with my manager. There wasnt really a hard part of my job. I enjoyed my job alot.
great company growing fast
hualer/washer (Former Employee) –  Raymond, WIApril 21, 2013
working with ducks
dirty
management was great good communication
Great place to work,Great benifits
Production (Current Employee) –  Milford, INNovember 3, 2012
Great enviroment,Staff is very helpfull. The pay is amazing and the benifits are great
Pros
great pay
Cons
short breaks, but we get several

Maple Leaf Farms Reviews by Location