MAPLETON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Great place to teach or substitute teach
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 10, 2017
For the last 3 years I have been a substitute and long-term substitute at Mapleton Public Schools. They pay better than other districts and it's the perfect size: not too big and not too small.
A very fun and happy place to be.
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 29, 2017
This was a productive and happy place to work, Would start off making breakfast for students, then move on to the lunch, before you knew it the day was done.
Pros
Always had summers off.
Cons
fast pace job
Incompatible Working Conditions
Teacher / Adviser (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 25, 2017
The school was disorganized and the administration failed to address and remedy serious situations. There were the following issues that were never addressed satisfactorily, and in some instances, were supported by staff: drugs, alcohol, theft, bullying, defiance, and homophobia. I did all I could to put and end to it, but now, after ten years clocked as a teacher: I am done with being a teacher.
Awesome place to start my coaching career.
Head Boys Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Mapleton, ORJune 29, 2017
Students and faculty were great with amazing teachers that care greatly about the students that attend. Community really supports the sports and coaches.
Terrible management, horrible behavior support
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 17, 2017
This district is simply awful to work in. Teachers are undervalued and over-scrutinized. There is no support for discipline issues. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Some of the kids
Cons
Administration, discipline issues, lack of support
Glorified Babysitter
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COFebruary 17, 2017
As a special education paraprofessional, the job description makes it sound as though you will mostly be a teacher's aide. You must have college experience to do your job but the background doesn't necessary have to be related. In my particular classroom, the bulk of the work is done by the paras. The instruction is given by us, the curriculum is implemented by us, the tests are administered by us, and so on. In addition to taking on the role of a certified teacher (which we are not), there are various medical needs and behaviors that really require the students to have more support than they receive. Unfortunately, it is difficult in this particular building to really get through to administration just how difficult the position can be. They expect a lot from us but don't give us the proper resources OR keep our classrooms fully staffed. Ultimately, determine if you truly have a passion for special needs children before pursuing that type of position in this district. If you aren't okay with basically taking on the role of the teacher and then some, you may want to rethink taking this position. The kids are phenomenal and all the want is someone to treat them like a normal kid. They deserve better resources and support.
Innovative demanding
Secondary Social Sciences Teacher (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 14, 2017
Small public school district that has struggled in the past, it serves a high percentage of English language and low-income students. Depending on the school, there can be strong levels of support for staff. Because the children have such high needs this job makes you want to give more. The teachers who stay, do so because they know they are making a real difference in the lives of the children they serve.
Pros
Strong relationships with staff and students
Cons
Changes can be overwhelming
Tough Place to Work
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJanuary 10, 2017
It has been awhile since I have worked for Mapleton, but when I did it was a difficult work environment with little support.
Loved it and hated it
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Thornton, CODecember 2, 2016
Enjoyed working with the kids but the special education department was a joke. They make the pay sound great but i was there for years and only brought home $500 every two weeks. I was treated like chewed gum on a shoe. Always yelled at by teachers who thaught of u as "just a para". Sad because i did enjoy the student.
Pros
The students and paid summers
Cons
The downgrading and pay
ok
HR Substitute Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COOctober 3, 2016
its a unique place. different type of people. you get holidays off. they offer PERA. great to be around school kids. different departments to work for and various locations.
Nepotism
Performing Arts teacher (Former Employee) –  Skyview campusAugust 6, 2016
Advancement in this district depends on who you are related to. Family ties run deep here. This workplace is hostile with a high rate of turnover. My administrator wasn't even licensed, but there is no way to report to CDE, unless you confront the school board. The last teacher that complained was not renewed. I was harassed sexually, bullied and treated like a peon. Security is lax, many unlocked doors and places for kids to get in trouble.
Pros
Title 1 experience
Cons
Large classes, staff culture of bullying and inappropriate behavior
Excellent colleagues, poor administration (at the time).
Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COFebruary 8, 2015
I have been gone from this district for thirteen years, so it is not practical or purposeful to review it. At the time (1999-2002), however, it was a small, financially-strapped and poorly administered district. I had a new principal for each of the three years I worked there, alongside a highly professional, veteran staff. Were it not for the excellence and experience of my colleagues, it would have been a very difficult working environment.
Pros
Driven, supportive veteran staff.
Cons
Inferior, transient administration at district and building level.
Bad District
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 4, 2014
As a current employee, the district is understaffed and underfunded, leading the superintendent and other admin to ask WAY too much of all employees. Union is nearly useless for beginning employees. Staff is great, although outlook is bleak, at best.
Pros
great staff
Cons
terrible admin, long hours
A school type setting
head custodian (Current Employee) –  591 E.80th Ave.Denver,CO.80229March 16, 2014
Very busy and fast paced.I learned how to work with a varity of different machines and tools that are required to get the job done and learned how to do a varity repairs to the facility.I run a crew of 2 custodians under my supervision.Being a small district we are under staffed so we have to cover the building when crew members call in sick or are gone for long lengths of tme.The statisfaction of making someones day when you helped them out!
Pros
Free lunches for helping out the food department with there daily cleaning duties.
Cons
Short staffed in the custodial department, me and crew need to cover are own absences.
fun place to work at
para (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 11, 2013
I loved going to work everyday, I enjoyed working with the children!!
Pros
was a good place to work
Injoyable, inventful.
School Bus driver/mechanic (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COMay 21, 2012
Picked up and dropped off kids, then worked in shop on buses. hardest part was dealing with kids on the bus. i loved work on buses, learning as much as i can.
Pros
great work experence, good hours.
Cons
health care and pay