MAPLETON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Innovative demanding
Secondary Social Sciences Teacher (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 14, 2017
Small public school district that has struggled in the past, it serves a high percentage of English language and low-income students. Depending on the school, there can be strong levels of support for staff. Because the children have such high needs this job makes you want to give more. The teachers who stay, do so because they know they are making a real difference in the lives of the children they serve.
Pros
Strong relationships with staff and students
Cons
Changes can be overwhelming
Tough Place to Work
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJanuary 10, 2017
It has been awhile since I have worked for Mapleton, but when I did it was a difficult work environment with little support.
Loved it and hated it
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Thornton, CODecember 2, 2016
Enjoyed working with the kids but the special education department was a joke. They make the pay sound great but i was there for years and only brought home $500 every two weeks. I was treated like chewed gum on a shoe. Always yelled at by teachers who thaught of u as "just a para". Sad because i did enjoy the student.
Pros
The students and paid summers
Cons
The downgrading and pay
ok
HR Substitute Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COOctober 3, 2016
its a unique place. different type of people. you get holidays off. they offer PERA. great to be around school kids. different departments to work for and various locations.
Nepotism
Performing Arts teacher (Former Employee) –  Skyview campusAugust 6, 2016
Advancement in this district depends on who you are related to. Family ties run deep here. This workplace is hostile with a high rate of turnover. My administrator wasn't even licensed, but there is no way to report to CDE, unless you confront the school board. The last teacher that complained was not renewed. I was harassed sexually, bullied and treated like a peon. Security is lax, many unlocked doors and places for kids to get in trouble.
Pros
Title 1 experience
Cons
Large classes, staff culture of bullying and inappropriate behavior
Excellent colleagues, poor administration (at the time).
Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COFebruary 8, 2015
I have been gone from this district for thirteen years, so it is not practical or purposeful to review it. At the time (1999-2002), however, it was a small, financially-strapped and poorly administered district. I had a new principal for each of the three years I worked there, alongside a highly professional, veteran staff. Were it not for the excellence and experience of my colleagues, it would have been a very difficult working environment.
Pros
Driven, supportive veteran staff.
Cons
Inferior, transient administration at district and building level.
Bad District
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 4, 2014
As a current employee, the district is understaffed and underfunded, leading the superintendent and other admin to ask WAY too much of all employees. Union is nearly useless for beginning employees. Staff is great, although outlook is bleak, at best.
Pros
great staff
Cons
terrible admin, long hours
A school type setting
head custodian (Current Employee) –  591 E.80th Ave.Denver,CO.80229March 16, 2014
Very busy and fast paced.I learned how to work with a varity of different machines and tools that are required to get the job done and learned how to do a varity repairs to the facility.I run a crew of 2 custodians under my supervision.Being a small district we are under staffed so we have to cover the building when crew members call in sick or are gone for long lengths of tme.The statisfaction of making someones day when you helped them out!
Pros
Free lunches for helping out the food department with there daily cleaning duties.
Cons
Short staffed in the custodial department, me and crew need to cover are own absences.
fun place to work at
para (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 11, 2013
I loved going to work everyday, I enjoyed working with the children!!
Pros
was a good place to work
Injoyable, inventful.
School Bus driver/mechanic (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COMay 21, 2012
Picked up and dropped off kids, then worked in shop on buses. hardest part was dealing with kids on the bus. i loved work on buses, learning as much as i can.
Pros
great work experence, good hours.
Cons
health care and pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAPLETON PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7