Marathon Oil Employee Reviews in United States

Good or terrible depending on where you are
Operations Technician II (Current Employee) –  North Bend, OHApril 6, 2016
As for terminal culture, it's either the greatest job you'll ever have, or a good pay/benefits but a terrible place to work. Expect to advance due to your connections instead of skill or work ethic. High stress. Zero tolerance for mistakes, even typo's in some cases. HR's only purpose is to prevent lawsuits. They will never side with the employee otherwise. Some terrible management on the local levels. Expect to train yourself. Expect meetings on your off days. Expect out of town training on your off days. Expect to work weekends. Terrible work/life balance. Shady relationships with contractors and management. Management "stores" equipment at their home. Favoritism and nepotism is status quo.
Benefits
Cons
Weak lower management, high level of liability, meetings and training eat up alot of time off.
Great place to work but not enough staff and some under qualified managers
HES Professional (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXNovember 4, 2015
I always got the tools, supplies, classes I needed to be successful in my job. There was too much work and we were short staffed which made it difficult to complete work assignments with associated deadlines.
Some of my immediate management did not understand the roles of those they supervised which made discussions difficult at times.
I enjoyed the majority of the people I worked with and my job.
My general comment is that I had to deal with a few that weren't too nice and not my favorites, but other than that, MPC was a great place to work with a great environment and safety culture. Benefits were also good. MPC is a keeper is you can get in with the right folks.
Pros
Free lunches, conferences, benefits, salary and attitude of most of the workforce
Cons
Workload and associated stress
Great Company, good work environment, treats its employees well
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2015
Marathon is a great company and enjoyable to work for. It is large enough to provide a variety of opportunities for employees, but not so big that you feel lost in the masses. One thing that I really like about Marathon was their active involvement in charity and giving back to community such as involvement in Susan G Komen Race for the Cure, Impact a Hero, volunteer project in 5th ward Houston, and Books for Bioko and anti-malarial projects in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea (West Africa).
Overall, Marathon appreciates a proper work-life balance and treats its employees well. Employees are well-compensated, however other areas of employee improvement could be improved. Marathon promotes a very friendly and comfortable work environment where you are surrounded by great people.
Pros
Good compensation and work-life balance, good management, good work environment, great company overall
Cons
Lack of consideration at times, no hesitation to move people around much too often if company needs it, can seem as though high-performers are pre-identified and based more on personality than results
Enjoyable experience in refining
Senior Advanced Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Robinson IllinoisFebruary 16, 2016
A typical day is working with Operations on how to improve the facility financially and safety-wise.

The job is hard in that you must present yourself to a lot of doubters.

But the compensation and respect is great.
Good benefits but no work life balance
Procurement Business Rep II (Former Employee) –  findlay, ohioOctober 5, 2015
Good benefits but no work life balance. Not much opportunity to grow.

People of the company are really good but very conservative environment from Top. Very traditional approach.

Company offer so many opportunities to work for community. That's the best part about MPC
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no work life balance
Mararthon Oil
Garage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 13, 2016
In my capacity at Marathon Oil, I was given the opportunity to work with their technician to clean up and reorganize the garage in order to achieve IOSHA VPP Star status, which we received in April of 2016. We were the first Marathon garage to receive this award. Marathon has great safety team and program. I was able to improve shop communication and efficiency by developing information boards and tracking of safety data. I was able to hire more qualified technicians which allowed us to bring work into the shop versus sending it out.

I would be more than happy to discuss further during my interview process.
Pros
Benefits, wages, the ability to bring in food for special occassions and meetings.
Cons
Safety training didn't always pertain to your department/alot of man hrs lost to repeative training
Senior SAP MDG / ABAP (Current Employee) –  Findlay, OHMay 12, 2016
Good place to work.

Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: MPC)

Nation's fourth largest transportation fuels refiner and largest in the Midwest
Seven-plant refinery system with 1,794,000 barrels per calendar day of capacity
Petroleum products marketer in the Midwest, Southeast, Northeast and Gulf Coast
Marketing network of more than 5,600 Marathon locations and approximately 2,760 Speedway
Owns/operates 80 light product and asphalt terminals
Owns, leases or has ownership interest in 8,300 miles of crude and refined product pipelines
Owns and operates more than 5,000 miles of gas gathering and NGL (natural gas liquids) pipelines
Company roots reach back to the early years of the oil industry
non productive
lease operator (Former Employee) –  Kenedy, TXApril 28, 2015
I worked the night shift operating the plant and all the surrounding wells by myself for 3 weeks when i first started. I finnally got someone who knew what they were doing but he only lasted a week due to a confrintation with one of the scada operators, they fired him on the spot. i worked another 2 months then i got called into the office and my boss was telling me what a great job I was doing but the following week i got called back in and i was told they had to let me go cause he heard i was sleeping on the job which was so far from the truth. never got a warning. comes down they layed off 110 employees a week earlier. i was cut cause i was making more money than the marathon employees. i was working for Swift world wide resources. I believe i have earned my salary with my education and experiance.
Pros
n/a
Cons
poor management
No comment
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHApril 6, 2016
You are required to stay in one room all day or night looking at a computer. The majority of the people you work with hate being there. You get a lot of vacation time but its based on a seniority and counsel specific pick system. So if you don't have someone to cover your vacation you have to work. It is a highly stressful environment. The managers are nice but they have no power and do not keep order. When you are on a night shift schedule their is no supervision and people act like children. The people in the OC have an entitlement that they are special and that they can get away with things that normal positions in the company could not get away with. They scoff at the HR Department. I don't recommend this job if you have a family. This job is perfect for someone who lives alone and wants to make decent money. There is more I could say but in general the job is overwhelming and not worth the stress.
Pros
Decent Money
Cons
Horrible Hours
Good family-friendly company
Machine Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 1, 2015
Daily duties included assigning tasks to the mechanical technicians, following up on jobs, coordinating with operations for equipment availability, processing work orders, and planning for the next day's activities. Overall, Marathon was a good place to work. My managers and co-workers were good to work with.
Pros
Good pay and benefits. Family-oriented.
Phenomenal Workplace
Environmental, Health & Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 3, 2015
Marathon is an excellent company to work for. Management was extremely helpful, compensation was remarkable. I truly believe if the price of oil hadn't taken a turn for the worse, Id have been with Marathon for many more years. It was an enjoyable 3+ years.
Productive and Fun Environment
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  San AntonioApril 6, 2015
Despite the slump in the oil price and recent layoffs at the company, it has been the best place I've worked. The direct management and operations staff has been wonderful to work with and provides for a good challenge almost every single day.

Despite this, sometimes management's expectations don't match up with reality on some key issues, which has so far not manifested into any issues. With the lower than usual oil prices, they're expecting employee output to be quite high, which can sometimes be a little stressful.

Overall, if you're willing to work really hard, use six sigma and other process improvement methods, and be innovative, this is a really good place to work.
Pros
Compensation, work/life balance, challenging work
Cons
expectations
Marathon Oil Job Summary
Health Environmental Safety Technician (HES) (Former Employee) –  Cody,WyMay 11, 2015
Challenging place to work with the variety of project always in the works.

I learned a lot about the Oil and Gas business. How the wells operated and about important the Health and Environment is when operating a company like Marathon Oil.

Teamwork was always important in accomplishing the tasks assigned.

Struggles happen when team workers are out in the field and you need to communicate with them on a project.

Best part of the job was working with the coworkers. All of them were helpful and as a team we worked well together.
Pros
Good Benefits, Friendly people, Safety conscience
Cons
Stressful when there were management changes
Uplifting Place to Work
Hardware Replacement Technician (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHDecember 28, 2015
I worked at Marathon Petroleum for Technology Consultants, Inc. replacing desktop and laptop hardware with expired warranty. Every person I spoke to was pleasant and understanding of the processes as explained.
Their Systems Administrators had all the desktop configurations configured so personal profiles carry forward to the new computer with minimal software configuration required. I learned that it is possible to easily transfer user information from one computer to the next without issue.
My position, in this project, did not require interaction with company executives concerning the project but my manager's reaction to the end of project briefing showed no negatives.
Pros
Changes and projects are thoroughly thought through.
Cons
Accessing certain parts of the building, where we needed to work, was difficult at times.
Marathon Oil -New Town
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  New Town, NDMay 31, 2016
Typical Day: check SCADA to see how facility is doing and determine priorities for the day. Go on route and inspect facility, calculating production and hourly rates to dispatch water and oil haulers.
Management: Well intentioned and safety focused, not great at communicating and developing subordinates professionally.
Hardest part of the job: identifying and predicting potential productions issues
Best part of job: coworkers are generally friendly and helpful.
Pros
Most meetings provide lunch
Good place - too much gossip running the show
Commercial Rep (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 27, 2015
Overall a good place, great benefits & work life balance. Technology needs some upgrades, but in some areas they are improving this. Reviews/promotions are based more on who you know & whose butt you kiss than how well you do your job.
Best place of employment throughout
SAP Administrator/Emergency Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Kenedy, TXMarch 25, 2015
This has been my dream job and its surely lived up to my expectations. From previous experience with oilfield jobs i was more than hesitant that this company would be better, but it was more that I had expected. Everyday I enjoy coming to work and actually ate having to miss for any reason at all. I enjoy the team that I work with and management has been nothing but honest, fair, and fun to work with as well. They value their employees as well as family values and overall this company has been a blessing to work for and hope to keep this as my career and would love to retire from here!
Pros
compensation, management, coworkers, hours
Cons
job security
Poor management
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Dayton OHAugust 26, 2015
I worked for the company for 3 years. The job pays very well but management is awful. Nobody in management has ever driven a truck before and they try to tell you how to drive a truck.
Pros
Great pay And benefits
Cons
poor management
Great work environment and professional field staff
HES&S Drilling & Completions Lead - HES Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDMarch 20, 2016
I started a long relationship with Marathon Oil back in 2009 as a HES Consultant for the D&C group. The company showed great room to advance within the ranks. I will say that a lot of companies talk a big safety game but Marathon actually would back up the talk. I had the previlage of working with some of the best in the industry.
I would not hesitate one minute to return to work for Marathon in any asset they have.
Pros
Great people and great work enviroment
Cons
Working as a consultant there are no obligations
Corporaton is downsizing.
Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2015
The company is in the process of changing its work environment. Historically it was a typical risk adverse corporation that based its business plan on very conservative management decisions. After separating from its downstream component a couple of years ago, the company has struggled to compete with its new peer group of independent exploration and production (E/P) oil companies. In an effort to continue its downsizing efforts, the company recently executed nearly 400 personnel terminations in the Houston, TX office (approximately 15% of the work force). The new work environment is expected to be very demanding and the company's stability could be questionable in the future.
Pros
generous compensation and benfits plan
Cons
long work hours and difficult advancement