Marathon Oil

Marathon Oil Employee Reviews

Marathon was undergoing massive downsizing when I was there, so the company was in a state of flux.
Geoscience Data Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2015
Work consisted of geoscience data management, using various software packages, primarily on UNIX workstation platform. Wrote SQL scripts to pull data from ORACLE-based software apps such as LandMark's Openworks, et al. Also maintained/updated paleontology database for the Gulf of Mexico via SQL, and managed all well log curve data using Geolog software. Got first exposure to Geolog software. Most co-workers were great, but there were one or two who made work more difficult than it had to be...nobody can "win them all" at every workplace. What mattered was getting the job done, and nothing interfered with that. I thought shorter-term, ongoing effective communication between myself and my superior were lacking when it came to year-end employee review time, but in retrospect, with the company undergoing rapid downsizing and reorg, I think my superior was out of the rapidly changing loop at times as well. I loved working with the software apps to achieve work goals.
Pros
Exposure to new software apps and enjoyable personal relationships.
Cons
Ineffective short-term communication company-wide (due to rapid reorg/downsizing).
Great Company, good work environment, treats its employees well
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2015
Marathon is a great company and enjoyable to work for. It is large enough to provide a variety of opportunities for employees, but not so big that you feel lost in the masses. One thing that I really like about Marathon was their active involvement in charity and giving back to community such as involvement in Susan G Komen Race for the Cure, Impact a Hero, volunteer project in 5th ward Houston, and Books for Bioko and anti-malarial projects in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea (West Africa).
Overall, Marathon appreciates a proper work-life balance and treats its employees well. Employees are well-compensated, however other areas of employee improvement could be improved. Marathon promotes a very friendly and comfortable work environment where you are surrounded by great people.
Pros
Good compensation and work-life balance, good management, good work environment, great company overall
Cons
Lack of consideration at times, no hesitation to move people around much too often if company needs it, can seem as though high-performers are pre-identified and based more on personality than results
Great place to work with plenty of opportunities to further your career.
Workover Rig Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Haynesville, LADecember 3, 2014
I started employment with Marathon overlooking our artificial lift program which typically included tracking, maintaining, ordering, and change out plunger lift equipment as needed. I would also schedule and supervise all slickline and swabbing work as needed. After 1 year I was promoted to Workover Rig Supervisor. I am in charge of planning, scheduling, and supervising jobs associated with the workover rig and still schedule and supervise slickline and swabbing jobs. I have been involved with numerous workovers such as converting dual string wells to single string, down hole pump changes, tubing string changes including using x ray and pressure testing units, rod string changes, milling and fishing packers, fishing tubing and rods, bailing, perforating, wellbore clean out, installation and removal of coil tubing, and drilling out plugs. I am also Well Control certified through Chapman and Associates.
Pros
numerous opportinities to attend training classes for additional certifications, proactive engineering team
Cons
several management restructuring periods during my 2 years with marathon.
non productive
lease operator (Former Employee) –  Kenedy, TXApril 28, 2015
I worked the night shift operating the plant and all the surrounding wells by myself for 3 weeks when i first started. I finnally got someone who knew what they were doing but he only lasted a week due to a confrintation with one of the scada operators, they fired him on the spot. i worked another 2 months then i got called into the office and my boss was telling me what a great job I was doing but the following week i got called back in and i was told they had to let me go cause he heard i was sleeping on the job which was so far from the truth. never got a warning. comes down they layed off 110 employees a week earlier. i was cut cause i was making more money than the marathon employees. i was working for Swift world wide resources. I believe i have earned my salary with my education and experiance.
Pros
n/a
Cons
poor management
Marathon as a Contractor
Active Directory / Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2013
I worked at Marathon Oil for 13 months and about 80-90% of the employees were contractors in the Professional offices in the Galleria area of Houston. It seemed as though no matter if you gave 110%, the opportunity for becoming fulltime is very slim. Most companies reward their employees for giving amazing customer service but Winfred Bourn was not one of those types of managers. I appreciated his knowledge and the opportunity to work there but it was not a place that you could call home. I did receive additional knowledge there that I was able to take with me but the positive morales were not something that existed. I have moved on and up but Marathon Oil is NOT a company that I would consider working for again especially because of the manager in the department that I worked.
Pros
knowledge that you can take with you when you leave.
Cons
not much of a chance for advancement and upper management was not very organized or helpful.
Not favorable
Engineer (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 16, 2012
Long interview process for professional jobs, they seem to want to focus on negative things like why you left your last job. It's like a witch hunt, and they seem to wrapped up real tight about the tiniest details.

If you're looking for a job like an enigineer or technicial, expect to get interviewed by a 'panel' of people. They are like a lynch mob so be careful.,

Once you get the job, it depends if you are a 'minority' if you want to get lots of training and things like that. It seems jobs go to the 'disadvantaged' - to me, that was racial profiling in reverse., I see myself as an US citizen, not as white, black, hispanic or whatever . We are all the same - let's not profile people and just keep it simple - treat everybody the same.
Pros
nice offices
Cons
stress and hostile work environment.

Comment – November 16, 2012

Probably they do this to justify their time and importance? I know company people like this, they call it work! lol

Productive and Fun Environment
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  San AntonioApril 6, 2015
Despite the slump in the oil price and recent layoffs at the company, it has been the best place I've worked. The direct management and operations staff has been wonderful to work with and provides for a good challenge almost every single day.

Despite this, sometimes management's expectations don't match up with reality on some key issues, which has so far not manifested into any issues. With the lower than usual oil prices, they're expecting employee output to be quite high, which can sometimes be a little stressful.

Overall, if you're willing to work really hard, use six sigma and other process improvement methods, and be innovative, this is a really good place to work.
Pros
Compensation, work/life balance, challenging work
Cons
expectations
Bad Management
Intern (Former Employee) –  Gonzales, TXApril 10, 2014
A typical say with Marathon would start in the early morning hours at 6 a.m. and would end at various hours. I was a lease operator/ SCADA operator, my job duties would include but not limited to; managing/control and recording well flow of oil in the Eagle Ford Shale region. The management seemed to be awfully rude, not organized and selfish. Wasn't uncommon to be belittled by upper management. My fellow co-workers seem to be friendly, took awhile for them to open up to me and make me feel welcomed. The hardest part of the day would be dealing with the extreme weather conditions but nothing was more enjoyable than complimentary lunches and breakfasts.
Pros
free lunch and breakfast
Cons
extreme weather and poor management
A great company to work for but no job satisfaction
Advance Sr. Staff Engineer (Former Employee) –  HoustonMay 12, 2013
Marathon Oil Company (the upstream company after the division) is a great company to work for with top notch compensation, work life balance and great company culture and company values. However, be ready to remain in the same titile/grade for a long time as promotions are rare even after 10 years in the same role, the salary keeps going up. There is also a lack of challenging opportunities so job satisfaction is low. The hardest part of job is staying busy for 8 hours a day. The leadership lacks the vision to grow the company and has sold off all the international ventures and turned the company into a domestic oil producer. The culture for new ventures is to look for low risk opportunities of which there are not many.
Pros
top notch compensation and bonus
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities
Corporaton is downsizing.
Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2015
The company is in the process of changing its work environment. Historically it was a typical risk adverse corporation that based its business plan on very conservative management decisions. After separating from its downstream component a couple of years ago, the company has struggled to compete with its new peer group of independent exploration and production (E/P) oil companies. In an effort to continue its downsizing efforts, the company recently executed nearly 400 personnel terminations in the Houston, TX office (approximately 15% of the work force). The new work environment is expected to be very demanding and the company's stability could be questionable in the future.
Pros
generous compensation and benfits plan
Cons
long work hours and difficult advancement
Best place of employment throughout
SAP Administrator/Emergency Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Kenedy, TXMarch 25, 2015
This has been my dream job and its surely lived up to my expectations. From previous experience with oilfield jobs i was more than hesitant that this company would be better, but it was more that I had expected. Everyday I enjoy coming to work and actually ate having to miss for any reason at all. I enjoy the team that I work with and management has been nothing but honest, fair, and fun to work with as well. They value their employees as well as family values and overall this company has been a blessing to work for and hope to keep this as my career and would love to retire from here!
Pros
compensation, management, coworkers, hours
Cons
job security
Productive and down to business while still keeping it fun.
Incident Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasAugust 31, 2013
For me, I have found many ways to adapt the types of services needed, based on the environment that is being supported. The key to positive Service Management success is always being able to establish processes that are repeatable, measureable and that can be effectively reported on --- this way, the functional portions can be mapped across IT (that others are able to follow & repeat the process) --- upper management is able to measure the KPI's and receive digestible reports on overall performance of the team(s) and map it to an ROI.
Pros
comfortable work environment
Cons
did not allow much telecommuting
Marathon Oil Job Summary
Health Environmental Safety Technician (HES) (Former Employee) –  Cody,WyMay 11, 2015
Challenging place to work with the variety of project always in the works.

I learned a lot about the Oil and Gas business. How the wells operated and about important the Health and Environment is when operating a company like Marathon Oil.

Teamwork was always important in accomplishing the tasks assigned.

Struggles happen when team workers are out in the field and you need to communicate with them on a project.

Best part of the job was working with the coworkers. All of them were helpful and as a team we worked well together.
Pros
Good Benefits, Friendly people, Safety conscience
Cons
Stressful when there were management changes
Everchanging atmosphere with endless opportunity for growth
Adv Lease Associate (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WY and Sheridan, WYJune 12, 2015
Surface Use Agreement and Lease management for Oil and Gas wells. Through my position I learned a large amount of information regarding different agreements, surface damage payments, database management, and research for legal matters, Great management team and co-worker relations. The hardest part of the job yet most rewarding was managing a large amount of responsibilities and meeting tough deadlines. I enjoyed the everyday challenges and high paced learning curve, and recognition by all areas of management.
Pros
Fast paced, team work in all areas
Cons
Management in separate location
fun filled place to work
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 1, 2015
Everyday we start with a meeting to discuss about what needs to be tested, what type of bugs we found and how far they were fixed. I learned working in multiple projects at the same time. Management takes care about the employees and they made it good place to work for us.
I had really good relation with my team members and we always helped each other when there are tight deadlines. This is the biggest project I worked so far, but learned how to manage working with multiple projects.
good place to work
operator (Current Employee) –  texas cityMarch 31, 2015
Monitored plant operations equipment and processes to ensure compliance with environmental and public health standards, including monitoring and making adjustments as needed to optimize efficiency, making chemical dosage changes, changing pump rates, and monitoring all equipment on a daily basis. * Collected a variety of samples for laboratory tests and performed basic laboratory tests and analyses. * Load and unload various chemicals used throughout the plant. * Operated valves, pumps, and automated controls to regulate the flow of wastewater through the system. * Operated and maintained a variety of hand and power tools and equipment related to work assignment as instructed.
Marathon Oil was a good company with great benifits.
Gas Plant Operator/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Iraan, TXJune 12, 2014
I started out working in the maintenance with the mechanic's. I learned how to work on all types of pumps and compressors. Anything from minor to major repairs. Good fair management at the plant I worked with. There was all kinds of job opportunities there. I have been gone for quite a few years and still miss the people I worked with. Hardest part of the job was the heat in the summer time.
Pros
it was a great place for advancement.
Cons
having to work holidays while on shift work.
Used to be great culture and caring management
Supply Chain Manager - Exploration and Geosciences (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2015
Current upper management has destroyed the value of the company by foolishly putting all money towards oil production increases in the eagle ford and paying outrageous dividends to themselves. Also removed most middle management that did not include eagle ford including all new exploration anywhere in the world. stock price shows the overall value of the company.
Pros
none at this point
Cons
working rowards bankruptcy and stock value still crashing
Great work environment and staff.
Field/ Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, TXMarch 13, 2015
A typical day at Marathon Oil was a 12 hour shift with constant hands on experience. I learned a great deal about the production and separation of oil and gas.my manager was a great person to work for and was very empathetic. My coworkers were amazing and we always worked as a team. there is absolutely nothing hard about the job. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Pros
great pay
Cons
long nights at times
Productive and fun place to work
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2015
I performed all the administrative duties required for the Chief Geophysicist and Chief Geologist. I learned a lot about the oil and gas industry. Marathon had a great managment team in place when I was employed there. I had amazing co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning the terminology of the oil and gas industry. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of doing a great job at the end of the day.
Pros
Free lunches in an amazing cafeteria
Cons
short breaks