Marathon Oil Employee Reviews

Culture strongly depends on where you are located within the company.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marlow, OKFebruary 13, 2017
At previous locations throughout my career with Marathon the culture was open and supportive. After transferring to OK I found many (not all) of the people to be closed minded, un-accepting of change and quite judgmental if you didn't fit into their idea of what your beliefs and values should be.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Company culture is not consistent from location to location.
Great Work-Life Balance & Benefits/Slow Promotion w/Political Culture
Senior Processor / Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Catlettsburg, KYDecember 9, 2016
The work-life balance is the best part of employment, along with the excellent benefits and pension which many companies do not offer today. The people are wonderful and feel like family. MPC is one of the best employers in the area that I live in.

MPC does invest in the development of their employees as far as continuing education and training. However, promotion is slow even after development initiatives and the culture is political which can stifle creativity in entrepreneural individuals.
Pros
Coworker relationships, benefits, employee development opportunities
Cons
Slow promotion and political culture
After new management, things went down hill as far as good work place.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAOctober 14, 2016
My work night was always grand before my manager left our company. I had very regular customers, that came in specifically to make their purchases from me. They appreciated my personal side with them, made them feel at home. I actually took the time to fix the customer's problem rather than not even try, I made a few loyal patrons this way as well.
Pros
I could just go in and do my job.
Cons
Poor management.
Good Conservative Company
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2017
Management was approachable and shared information. Very strict work times and not enough windows in the building. Rarely able to see outside. However, it was nice to work with such fine people.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Feeling of confinment and low salary
no benefits no health care never paid on time and part pay cash
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 5, 2017
I worked 11 hours a day alone I loved my job and the people but management was bad never paid on time wouldn't pay all on a check had to take cash
Pros
loved the people multi tasking helped
Cons
no breaks no lunch alone all the time with no help
Productive and fun workplace
RETAIL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 31, 2016
Its fun working with costumer and great experience. the fun part is always you will have good communication with customer and talking funny stuff and meet different people.
Pros
free lunches, coffe, meet good people
Cons
when their is no customer, i will take preak
Marathon
Shift Supervisor for PM shift (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJanuary 25, 2017
Marathon is One of my best jobs ever. Customers were super friendly. Employees also very nice. The work was hard very fast paced but very fun. I had the duties of doing all reports at the end of the shift daily, running lottery and tabocco reports
Pros
n/a
Excellent company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nesbit, msMarch 18, 2017
The best company I have ever worked for. Excellent benefits, able to balance family/work life easily, great people working there. I learned a lot of new things and had many opportunities working for them.
Best Place to Work
Instructional Designer / Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mutliple StatesDecember 14, 2016
Great place to work. Excellent project with employees that accepted consultants into their world. Great relationship were built.

Very nice management and the team dynamic/ team support was top notch.
Pros
Team Oriented
Declining industry, non-progressive
Global Procurement Intern (Former Employee) –  Catlettsburg, KYJanuary 5, 2017
Great work atmosphere, but un-appealing role in industry. Days can be dry and repetitive. Opportunities for advancement come slow, but pay and benefits are great.
Pros
Pay, work-life balance
Cons
Un-appealing work
OK work with Great People
Adv Engineering Tech (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 8, 2017
Work at Marathon was ok, but the people that worked at Marathon made the work seems so much better. I can honestly say I miss the people so much and I made some great lasting friendships there.
Not a bad enviorment to work in
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MIMarch 17, 2017
The enviorment is not bad to work in, it is pretty laid back. You have your daily duties in which you are supposed to get all of your stuff done. it work outs great for school!
Pros
Good Pay
Cashier
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Roseland, INSeptember 21, 2016
I opened the station every morning alone. I made coffee and breakfast items. I handled all purchases.I greeted each customer that entered. I stocked as needed and also cleaned as needed. We had a list to complete each shift and I always completed mine.
Pros
Loved customers and loved my hours
Cons
It could get very busy and you usually work alone
Flexible,fun environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 3, 2016
While working for Marathon Oil Gas station I was able to maintain a good work life schedule, I was able to
go to school mean while still keeping a job.
Working at this store I was abe to assist people of all cultures,ages and backgrounds.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Healthcare, salary
Marathon is only corporate focused!
Craftsman (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 15, 2016
Upper management is their only focus. Craft workers and first line management are viewed as stepchildren, that can be replaced and are of no value whatsoever! Tools to do the job are frequently not available, or out of stock. Equipment was removed and is now hard to acquire to do the job. Grievances are delayed from review for indefinite periods of time. Operators are forced out and over worked beyond the limits recommended for safety. Safety concerns voiced are ignored.
Pros
A paycheck and health benefits
Cons
Unsafe working conditions in a hostile environment!
Fun place to work especially activities that were off campus. We got to know our co-workers as ordinary people.
SR LEASE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2016
This was a company I always wanted to work because of its rich history, being a part of the Stand oil Empire was fascinating. The strong company culture is alive and well still today.
Pros
Some middle management was highly respected, thus treated their subordinates with great res[[ect.
Cons
Dental plan was almost non existence
Conservative environment.
Environmental Professional (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHJanuary 16, 2017
Excellent pay and benefits for the region - not so much when you take in consideration the pay and benefits competing companies within the same industry pay.
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Haynesville, LAJanuary 3, 2017
Great place to work, great benefits, great management, and a great work culture. I was really sorry to have to leave, but had to move or would still be working there.
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYFebruary 9, 2017
Was a great place to work until the boss became very perverted. Loved talkimg to customers managing the store 5 nights a week by myself
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
No breaks
Good place to learn
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJanuary 20, 2017
Customer service, cash handling, and cleaning, stocking the shelves and inventory. standing for a long period, cleaning the shop area.
Cons
Alone in the store, no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marathon Oil. Our community is ready to answer.