Marathon Oil Employee Reviews

Nice Place But Poor Management
Lead/Power SPI User (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 22, 2018
To begin, the design group joined with Document Controls group. The DC manager did not know engineering or design. We were constantly questioned our design procedures by the manager.
This job was a temporary position in security
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJanuary 20, 2018
I enjoyed the little time I worked for US Security at Marathon, but the job ended once the contract was sold to another security company. I was responsible for vehicle searches, making badges, etc.
SUMMER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJanuary 20, 2018
Great place to work. Fast paced. Great management. Good hours and benefits. Willing to work with individuals to increase their productivity. Great work and life balance.
Great company to work for.
Terminal Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 19, 2018
Great teamwork with a culture of safety. The company does a great job to balance work/life balance but it takes a lot of dedication to work for Marathon.
Pros
Great people
Cons
To move up in the cmpany you have to relocate.
Must work your way up from bottom
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Findlay, OHJanuary 19, 2018
Marathon Petroleum is a good company if you start at the company early on in your career. They tend to promote from within and rarely hirer outside experienced individuals. Which is great for the workforce that is already in the company but not great for others.
Professional
Sr. Exploration / Production Geologist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Typical Day for Geologist.
Spend days mapping and generating drilling prospects,
then sounding them off the team members of Reservoir Engineers, and Geophysicists. (very enjoyable but hard work)

Team presented projects each quarter to Management.
(very stressful dog and pony show)
Pros
Respect, Professional
Cons
cant think of any
Great place to work. Open door policy throughout the organization
Lead Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Company was very focused on balanced work life. Community support was always part of the work climate. Workload was steady but management always supported taking the time to do the work in a professional manner.
This Place is sweet
Refinery Operator intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 14, 2018
I was an intern in Operations. Marathon Paid for me to go to a Two Year training program to study Process Technology It was a great place to work, except nepotism is key at this facility. a typical day would be safety meeting Then you'll start approving contractors for work permits. This place will make you fat because it's so much sit down time. They bring food for thier employees and it's the best food. Now the hardest part of the job is climbing the towers to take readings.
Pros
Cons
Noon
Productive and fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INJanuary 13, 2018
Marathon Oil was a good job it's fast paced but you get to know your customers. I ran cash register restocked the sodas and learned the lottery machines and Gas pumps. The pay is good but they make you work a lot of hours. You can work 40 plus hours a week and some days no days off.
Pros
The Customers
Cons
Way to many hours if you have a small kid
Cut throat environment, watch your back!
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXJanuary 12, 2018
Do your work and CYA! Your paid very well, but management doesn't listen to suggestions. Not a very friendly environment people that work there have no compassion.
Pros
DuPont schedule
Cons
Work environment sucks
I loved it in the beginning and near the end of my time there it became horrible I couldn’t be even stand it
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 10, 2018
I loved my job in the beginning. The environment and the co workers were amazing and everyone was very friendly. Did not like the management after my original manger left. Was not happy about what he was pulling and turning the store into.
Pros
Cons
A lot of things
Decent company
Server Administrator (Former Employee) –  Garyville, LAJanuary 8, 2018
Decent company
High compensation
Low employee value

Many positions are contract

Meaning no benefits, 401k, retirement, etc. If you are okay with high pay and no benefits then this is the place for a contractor.
Independently owned places are touch and go
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Imperial, PAJanuary 2, 2018
I loved my management, they were wonderful and did everything they could to make it better for everyone. However, some of the employees were less than desirable. They had to stay on because of hours and how shifts worked out, so I understand the decision, but it wasn't good for anyone. Everything was fair and understandable; one of the better jobs I had growing up.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Coworkers were hit/miss
Great Place to work
Cashier, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 29, 2017
I love working here i do wish they had more benefits though. It is in its early stages of new ownership so things are a little crazy but all in all it is a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
no paid sick days, no long term benefits
Good place to work until the price of oil dropped
Advanced Senior IT Auditor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 14, 2017
Compensation and benefits were very good. 9/80 schedule was available. Company is very dependent on the price of oil and had to make lots of cutbacks when the price dropped,
Not bad to work for, some back stabbing, Some field super no people skills. Finish wells up with no problem
Drilling Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 13, 2017
Not bad to work for. Some back stabbing. Some field super no people skills. The workers safety first. Finish wells. Meetings with VIP's. They give you a two week notice you are being let go
Pros
Meetings with VIP's from office. VIP's coming out to Rig's
Cons
Tell you they have plenty of work, Talk about picking up rig's, then they lay your rig down
could be a good working enviroment
Mate 3 (Current Employee) –  Catlettsburg, KYDecember 8, 2017
the company is a very good company to work for, it has some bugs to be worked out in management. long hours with poor schedule. can be away from home for several days
Pros
free food
Cons
poor management, favoritism, buddy system
Productive and fun workplace
C-Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Royston, GADecember 7, 2017
Productive and fun workplace. Fellow workers were easy to get along with including owners of the business always willing to work with the customers and employees
Pros
Free lunch and getting to know all the locals and bonding close relationships with them
Pleasureable Experience
Senior Instructor/Senior Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Kenedy, TXDecember 1, 2017
Great people to be with and work around. I was given a directions to follow and as long as I colored within the lines I could do whatever it took to accomplish our goals. It was such a wonderful place to work, the atmosphere was very positive even when the Lay Offs began and we all had a suspicion my position would not be renewed. It was done gracefully and with taste. My boss at the Kenedy site was one of the better ones I have ever had in my working life.
Productive caring workplace.
Advanced Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2017
Productive, caring, and family oriented workplace. Co-workers always willing and able to help when needed. Management open to suggestions and solutions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marathon Oil. Our community is ready to answer.