Marathon Petroleum Corporation

Marathon Petroleum Corporation Employer Reviews

Good company
Technical Service HF Alkylation Engineer (Former Employee), St Paul, MNApril 26, 2014
Good company with good career growth. All refineries worked well with each other and shared information well.
Many tasks and details learn within this industry
Pipeline Operations Technician (Former Employee), Canton, OHJuly 7, 2013
Learned industry terminology within the oil and gas industry. Many health and safety regulations to follow.
Pays well, but no Refinery job security if profit margins are down at any time
Coordinator (Former Employee), Canton OhioApril 29, 2013
Pros: training, safety, tools, benefits
Cons: poor management, lack of business skills
I worked at the Canton Refinery, then came a wave of layoffs, due to managements knee-jerk reaction to profit margin for that quarter. Findlay Management always controlled Canton Management, and you always had your manager and dotted line manager, then the District manager, - like in Office Space if you messed up the TPS reports. Not only that but the – more... union does not like to interact with the office workers and vice versa, HR was chaos with constant layoffs and interns to do mediocre gauge readings for corporate tax write offs. People got hurt, OSHA was there We shot a few hundred barrels of petro product into S.W. Canton's air , -then had EPA was here.... Pays well for Canton Ohio, mostly good times while it lasted, no loyalty unless you pay Union dues, all about the Benjamins especially if some guy in Findlay gets a wild hair ..and wants to show that their B.A. in Business Management was all for not move people around Canton refinery like chess pieces on monthly basis........... – less
Information Technology Co-op
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee), Findlay, OHJanuary 20, 2013
Pros: excellent pay, interesting work, fantastic co-workers
Cons: inactive job, nonrenewable fuel distibutor
Typical Day At Work

A typical day of work would begin with a routine check of e-mail and planning of tasks to be accomplished. I would then check in with my peer mentor/supervisor for an impromptu meeting covering the various projects I was currently working on and how best to approach them. I would spend the remainder of the morning working on a medium-priority – more... project until lunch. After lunch I would resume work on a high-priority project if available or multiple low-to-medium priority projects otherwise. My afternoons would often be spent meeting with colleagues outlining necessary project specifications. At the end of the day I would send e-mails reporting project status to involved parties. Occasionally the co-ops in my department would go on production facility tours.

What I Learned

Beyond rigorous technical experience, I learned invaluable "soft skills" such as effective listening, communication, and presentation. At the end of my term, I was required to give a presentation covering my accomplishments and business value to upper-level management staff, among them the CEO of the company.

I gained technical experience in database programming, scheduled programming, Excel optimization, chemical process simulation software, and Honeywell sensor and reporting technologies.

Co-Workers

Marathon employs some of the most exemplary technical and non-technical staff in the world. Should you encounter any difficulties on the job, they will be sure to help you to the best of their considerable abilities. The co-workers share a strong bond and we would often celebrate welcoming new employees and the happy departure of leaving employees by eating together at local restaurants.

The Hardest Part of the Job

Your experience may differ from my own. I found the most difficult part of the job to be sitting for long periods of time. My legs and lower back would hurt, but the Human Resources department is always open to suggestions for improving ergonomics. During my co-op, each of the temporary co-ops received brand new, fitted chairs to ensure proper posture and comfort.

The Most Enjoyable Part of the Job

Occasionally department engineers would take co-op workers to production facilities for tours. If you get the opportunity to go on one of these tours, do it! The refineries and terminals are amazingly complex and any IT/Computer/Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical/Civil Engineer will get a huge kick out of the intricate processes that occur on such a large scale with nearly perfect accuracy. – less
Awesome!
Analyst Intern (Former Employee), Findlay, OHMay 11, 2012
Great internship experience. Typical day for my internship included a lot pd data analysis.

I learned data analyses and data mining.

Marathon Petroleum Corporation Photos