Marbles: The Brain Store

Marbles: The Brain Store Employer Reviews

Complete Garbage
Brain Coach (Former Employee), Edison, NJJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: upper management, no breaks, expect you to lie, scam
This is such a joke of a company. Marbles does not care about it's employees. They are fire happy and are in denial about why their sales are low. Their products are cheaply made, overpriced, and only survive on the idea of the games being "good for brain health". In reality, most of the games are rip offs of old games or cell phone apps. It is all – more... a scam. That's why your salespeople can't sell. There were also plenty of times when I was working at the store alone for 8 hours and not allowed to take a break. That is not okay. I am currently working at a job I love, full time, (Marbles will never offer your full time, by the way, so you can get forget about that) and I'd like to think of my time at Marbles as a long bad dream. I did work with some great people...but they've since been fired, too. So, if you're considering working for this place, I'd suggest you run far, far away and don't look back. – less

Marbles – May 19, 2013

As an ex-employee familiar with the Edison Marbles I can agree on many levels but don't believe we met as it sounds like you were there in late 2012. Edison went through a few transitions with staff turnover being a major part. It was unfortunate that upper Management was always unable to put any real value on its good employees. Edison went through a few Managers that were never really given the support they needed or deserved. Thats what happens when Corporate has a training department of 1, who himself RARELY contacted the stores. So what did they do? He is now a DM. Go figure!

Productive and fun workplace with a loft!
Product Design Intern (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2012
Pros: awesome, creative, fun group
Cons: i was an intern and could only work part time
I worked in the Brain workshop at Marbles HQ as an Intern. There I learned everything from a games conception all the way until the product was ready for the showroom floor. We dealt with time management, tight budgets, and creative management that helped create some very fun and innovative products!
Great Startup Retail Company with lots of growth potential. Not for feint of heart.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Natick, MAAugust 21, 2012
Pros: great company atmosphere, big growth/career potential, great customers
Cons: very competitive, shrinking store budget, lack of corporate communication
Marbles is a wonderful company that really focuses on providing a great variety of products with a genuine social good behind them. Neuroscience is an exciting field to start testing the waters of, and "Brain Fitness" is one of the faster growing consumer industries out there.

Managing a Marbles store entails extensive sales time out on the floor as – more... well as hiring and managing a small but effective team of sales professionals. There is a lot to juggle as a startup, and those that are used to streamlined procedures from a larger home office would not be welcome.

However if you're more the creative, self-driven type that can find creative solutions to efficiency or system-wide problems, you'll feel right at home.

The best part of the job was the playfulness of the atmosphere and the customers with whom you got to know on a personal level, far more than any "big-box" retailer.

Be prepared for hiccups as they grow however, because communication can be strained to say the least. Independence is a must in the position, because as they open more stores, its becoming harder and harder to standardize certain practices and provide effective support to even certain major problems. – less